is it me or clerics are being told what to do?

Options
Yulk - Heavens Tear
Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Cleric
I was on cleric alt, went on a BH29 run for my genie. Then I squad with a wizard, and cleric. The wizard went leeroy jenkins style and caused a few party wipes and blamed it on me. He had elemental resist like a BM ( he was wearing fail arcane armors <.<) So I had to pull and tank, but he insists that "you are clerics, i kill , you heal" he was so squishy in all ways, I couldn't even heal him fast enough when he dies in like 2-4 shots.

Then veno came along after next half of the BH. After we got through, I volunteered to tank instead. My magic power was a bit low too keep arggo but I held arggo and survived fine. Then the veno stole arggo. I made 1 mistake because I tried to take arggo back instead of healing her, but the other cleric used auto attack after the veno took arggo. Then a party wipe again and I had to come back again to rev. Then this wizard say "I told you, your meant to heal, not tank" when there is no barb or a decent wizard unlike him. So he was telling me and the other cleric what to do. That's not cool at all b:angry I was definitely healing too, I am using crowd control. And I thought being a wizzie would be crazy in random squads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
Post edited by Yulk - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah, they're being told what to do, more then others in this game.

It's up to you to decide if you want to listen to it or not though.
    If it's usefull, roll with it, if it's worthless advice (and you know it) ignore, tell them what you want instead. If the "advice" becomes irritating, ...

well, we're a very passive aggressive bunch. b:chuckle
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • Flickerfae - Sanctuary
    Flickerfae - Sanctuary Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ehee, we are pretty passive-aggressive. It comes from being generally nice people who get kicked around a lot.

That wizard didn't know what he was talking about, plain and simple. I know plenty of clerics who can tank in a pinch (bh 59 comes to mind), and, with another cleric in a party of 3, it's not like one cleric tanking berefts the party of heals. One cleric can handle healing 3 other party members just fine, especially if the tank can hold aggro.

The one reason the wizard might have complained is because, in all likelyhood, he was doing more damage than you. He probably figured he could hold aggro over you, and that's probably true, but it doesn't matter if he can't stay alive long enough to hold it. The two primary functions of a tank are to 1: hold aggro and 2: stay alive. Next time someone acts like that, be sure to point that out. If you go down in 4 hits, no cleric in the game is going to be able to keep you alive without stacking IHs before every single encounter.

My favorite way to handle people who think they know how to play a cleric is to tell them to roll one up. You can usually tell the ones who have a decently leveled cleric character, because, on the rare occasions they offer advice, they usually know what they're talking about. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Ignoring my main for alts since early '09
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    When someone in squad is telling the cleric(s) what to do, it's for one of two reasons:

1)The cleric doesn't know what (s)he is doing.
    2)The person doing the telling doesn't know what (s)he is doing.

When you're the cleric, figure out if you made a mistake, or the other person is being dumb, and act accordingly. The best cleric in the world won't keep the DDs alive every time they pull aggro. A good DD understands this.
  • Sylredrae - Sanctuary
    Sylredrae - Sanctuary Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I can relate, sadly. My 50s-60s in particular were when people ordered me around most, and a lot of my bh squads then were fail. My 40s weren't two bad since I lvled fast doing bhs and was lucky to have okay squads most of the time.

I'm not sure on how much you've been in bh29, but it seems that whatever the case, the wizzie didn't know what he was doing. If you want to tank, you need the hp, defence and equips to back it up. Squishy tanks can die even with constant spam healing, and when that happens, it's not the fault of the cleric.
    Syredrae ~ lvl 100 Cleric (main character)

Auryl ~ lvl 100 Venomancer

Mainas ~ lvl 80 Barbarian

Suirune ~ lvl 2X Psychic
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    People will tell other classes what to do no matter what class. The majority of those types of players I've met have never played the class they're giving 'advice' on.
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    When someone in squad is telling the cleric(s) what to do, it's for one of two reasons:

When you're the cleric, figure out if you made a mistake, or the other person is being dumb, and act accordingly. The best cleric in the world won't keep the DDs alive every time they pull aggro. A good DD understands this.

This . . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Who was the leader and was there a Barb in the sqd and if you are all around lvl 40s with no barb.This is your first mistake and the ldr of the sqd should know this if I am playing an alt I will tell cleric what do to like not using purehearted blessing.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's a simple, easily observable phenomena, that I call the "Everyone sucks but me" phenomena. There are two parts of this. The first is the "I'm better than everyone" aspect. Essentially, people will tend to assume they are better than others, and act on this premise. Next comes the "I'm always right" aspect. That is, give the first aspect to be true, the individual must always be correct in whatever he/she does. The odd thing about this phenomena is that it it shows up on an inverse proportion to actual skill. That is, the better the individual really is, the less often he/she will act in this manner, with the opposite also being true (the lower the players skill, the more likely he/she is to act this way). Now, there are obvious exceptions to these actions, since it can't really be applied when there is a very real, and observable difference in power (ever see a lvl 20 giving advice to a lvl 68?). There are also a few more 'humble' individuals that refuse to vocalize these qualities, regardless of skill, but it is present in everyone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Who was the leader and was there a Barb in the sqd and if you are all around lvl 40s with no barb.This is your first mistake and the ldr of the sqd should know this if I am playing an alt I will tell cleric what do to like not using purehearted blessing.

First off, barbs aren't needed all the time, the only times they're really needed is against Farren Sereneti(FB/BH39), FB/BH51 and Gaurnob/Polearm(FB/BH69), haven't gotten any further so I can't say anything about later on, but it depends on how scared people are of trying new things out. Anyone can tank, as long as you have the courage for it.

And secondly, last night, a veno told me to use Flesh Ream for keeping aggro. Didn't like her so she died quick against Zimo b:laugh, but as said, clerics aren't the only ones getting ordered
  • Raviste - Heavens Tear
    Raviste - Heavens Tear Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You're a cleric in the party. You control their life and death. Essentially, you're in charge. If a party member is ordering you around, and you KNOW they're wrong, then simply let them die and not res, or kick them out of party if you have lead. DDs are easily replaceable. They'll learn their lesson one day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Retired - Radiance
  • Jamiesangus - Lost City
    Jamiesangus - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ^ agreed
    if someone is ordering you around tell them to shut up if they dont know what they are doing

and if that doesnt work let them die

but also make sure they are not just offering advice to try and help you get better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you Forsakenx for the amazing signature
  • SaintDominic - Sanctuary
    SaintDominic - Sanctuary Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    First off, barbs aren't needed all the time, the only times they're really needed is against Farren Sereneti(FB/BH39), FB/BH51 and Gaurnob/Polearm(FB/BH69), haven't gotten any further so I can't say anything about later on, but it depends on how scared people are of trying new things out. Anyone can tank, as long as you have the courage for it.

And secondly, last night, a veno told me to use Flesh Ream for keeping aggro. Didn't like her so she died quick against Zimo b:laugh, but as said, clerics aren't the only ones getting ordered

Well first of all flesh ream is spammable so do your job as a tank and keep aggro. Im smart enough to use ironheart which is also SPAMMABLE. I had barbs not spam flesh ream, and i just let them die b:bye
  • SpiritReaver - Raging Tide
    SpiritReaver - Raging Tide Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They should not have gotten mad about you wanting to be the tank, from what you said the wizzard was an epic fail b:shocked and besides, most people think clerics are only healers but they are actually a defensive and offensive class. Something very unique. b:victory
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

Yeah but in FB/BH29 it is good thing though to have one as a Cleric I feel a little more assured with a Barb around.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Shealu - Heavens Tear
    Shealu - Heavens Tear Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    A perfect illustration of the things >>here<<

edit: btw i m nearly 93 not 91 bad avatar QQ
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    A perfect illustration of the things >>here<<

edit: btw i m nearly 93 not 91 bad avatar QQ

Go to "Edit your Avatar", select the default one, then re-select your character. That should update it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Teeki - Dreamweaver
    Teeki - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

A good DD knows how not to DD too hard xD

p.s. btw love that comic strip lawl!
    Remember, some people are alive only because it is illegal to shoot them.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5635101001&dateline=1240242729[/SIGPIC]
    Perfect World International, customer dissatisfaction is guarenteed.
  • __Nanayo__ - Dreamweaver
    __Nanayo__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options

Agreed. However, I'd add...

3) The person doing the telling simply assumes the cleric doesn't know what they're doing (knee-jerk reaction) due to previous failed squads.

I've encountered these types a few times. Specifically during BH69 when DD would drop at Polearm.

Barb: Res him
    Me: I see him. Was waiting for Invoke. =)
    Barb: Oh. Sorry. Couple rough squads the past couple days. Didn't mean any offense. >.<
    Me: No worries. I get that a lot. XD
  • XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver
    XxLady_XelxX - Dreamweaver Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Whoops. Wrong avatar. But whatever. XD
  • Romeria - Lost City
    Romeria - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I let them die. =\

It's one thing if someone shouts "heal!" once at the begining of a run, but when I've been in a squad, shown I can keep it alive, asked repeatedly for them to stop telling me MY job, and we're almost at the boss and they're still screaming orders at me I just let them die. After playing the game for a year, trying all classes, and observing how higher level clerics operate I will not let some bh/oracle noob yelling at me thinking they know more about my class than I do. People forget that they need me more than I need them - getting a squad as a cleric is easy.

I abondoned my bh39 squad because the bms kept aggroing trash and screaming at me to heal them when the barb needed me more and I asked them to stop. I consider it one of my proudest moments.
  • NinnaXXX - Sanctuary
    NinnaXXX - Sanctuary Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hmm this is bothering i was once in fcc and someone kept saying to my friend and me what to do ,i had like eumh if i didn't kno what to do i would of asked maybe? and he kept taking agro from boss giving us the fault for not keeping him alive made me a bit angry, i can take a bit of ordering from plp if its not bad but i have my limits then suddenly he goes like eh are guys oracler lvlers? then another barb joins then he tells the barb like its their first time here. and i had like wth o.o i heard enough and were gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The greatest danger for most of us
    is not that our aim is too high
    and we miss it
    but that it's too low and
    we reach it.
    -Michelangelo
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Well first of all flesh ream is spammable so do your job as a tank and keep aggro. Im smart enough to use ironheart which is also SPAMMABLE. I had barbs not spam flesh ream, and i just let them die b:bye

It's nothing about not using Flesh Ream, it's about wanting her to die since I didn't like her so I didn't try to take aggro from Zimo in the first place. She tried ordering me, trying to make it my life-duty to buff her with my hp buff. If I'm allowed to quote her: "barb, use hp buff, it increases hp". Me: "I'm waiting on everyone since it uses a lot of mp". Every 12 seconds she kept nagging about "barb, buff". I hate people ordering me and she didn't even check if either me or the cleric was prepared when we got to Zimo, so I let her die. Then she rage-quit.
    No flaming without all the factsb:bye
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i didnt ever mind if someone was telling me what to do even if it was something obvious

i have no idea why so many ppl make big deal about it

iKnowMyClassDontTellMeWhatToDoBish attitude b:surrender

and btw, even on 80lvl or 90lvl u still learn, and if u dont - then u gotta be bad
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • VlLKASS - Sanctuary
    VlLKASS - Sanctuary Posts: 1,396 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You're a cleric in the party. You control their life and death. Essentially, you're in charge. If a party member is ordering you around, and you KNOW they're wrong, then simply let them die and not res, or kick them out of party if you have lead. DDs are easily replaceable. They'll learn their lesson one day.

Hm.. & you're so sure u're not the one in the wrong, but too stuck up your b:cute spot to realise?

I remember doing one 2-2 run with a cleric that was... um... On the last boss I just couldn't take & told her what I thought about her "skills"... or total lack there of, which resulted into a party whipe after she smacked into all the minions while just trying to jump of patform b:embarrass I'm pretty sure she still thinks she was in the right, cause before this she was saying how her previous squad was a bunch of b:cute holes to her & the run failed... After ours we could kinda guess why...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I should definitely ignore / let people like him die next time. BTW he did claim he have a LVL70+ cleric xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • Astoru - Heavens Tear
    Astoru - Heavens Tear Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The wizard failed.

In my experience, clerics only really get told what to do when it's a first for them: BH, FB, TT, FF, etc etc. Afterwords it's usually just friendly reminders to insure that everyone knows what they're doing.
    ●Wizard (Male) - Fasditious and pretentious, carries the arrogance of intellectual superiority. Feels the need to remind everyone of his world-ending power, but grows a little manic and unhinged when he finally is allowed to unleash it. "Ahh-hahahahaha!! NOW YOU ALL BURN!!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lyzzern - Lost City
    Lyzzern - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm a wizard and I have a cleric alt, I just have one thing to say:
    That guy is an idiot.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2508297003&dateline=1263853257[/SIGPIC]
    Asoteric Runewolf just pwned you b:victory

(Yet another player who has quit this game :>; See you in Forsaken World)
  • Adalynne - Sanctuary
    Adalynne - Sanctuary Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I know just how you feel. It sucks being told how to do your job, especially when you know what you're doing and the other person is a jerk about it. Clerics can be perfectly suitable tanks in certain situations. I tanked Pyro today (I didn't even know I could lol) and it worked out great. Don't let other people tell you how to play your class. Chances are they don't know as well as you what to do. It is okay to accept good advice on the rare occasion that it is given- one can always learn and better his/herself- but they have no right to bark orders at you. Especially stupid orders.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats.
  • Ahira - Lost City
    Ahira - Lost City Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You shouldnt take it personal if someone's telling you what to do. If they've just got a bad attitude its best just to try to bear with it and avoid pt'ing them in future. If they're trying to give you advice you really aught to be polite about it- they probably ran with clerics who didnt know what they were doing before so are just trying to be helpful.

You really cant presume to know everything either whatever your level! b:chuckle
    --Retired--

Factions: Forbiden, Genesis, Conqueror, BloodLust, Zen, Spectral
    Active October 2008- August 2009; Semi-active- May 2010
  • Lylfo - Dreamweaver
    Lylfo - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i didnt ever mind if someone was telling me what to do even if it was something obvious

i have no idea why so many ppl make big deal about it

iKnowMyClassDontTellMeWhatToDoBish attitude b:surrender

and btw, even on 80lvl or 90lvl u still learn, and if u dont - then u gotta be bad

Go and play the game nao!b:shutup
    Thanks Chillum for the nice Sig.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]