EVENT: Memoirs of an NPC

frankieraye
frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
header_030910_Memoirs.jpg

You see them every day. You pass by them on your way to the mailbox. You rely on them for your Spiritual growth. But who are they really, and where did they come from?

Memoirs of an NPC is a creative writing contest; players choose an NPC from the game and write that character's history. Where was this character born? What shaped his life? Why is he now peddling low level gems in Archosaur? These are the kinds of questions we hope to have answered through this contest.

Entries will be read and reviewed, and our five favorite entries will net their creators a Tidal Serpent mount!

Also, there is a chance that a particularly well-written entry will actually be implemented into the game into that specific NPC's dialog, possibly incorporating the writer's name into it as well!

Contest Rules:

* 250 words or less
* Attach a screenshot of the NPC you're writing about.

Please send all contest entries to pwi-community@perfectworldinc.com by March 19th, 2010 at 6:00PM Pacific.

Good luck!
Post edited by frankieraye on

Comments

• Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    O_o *pulls out the pen and dust it off*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Maragon - Dreamweaver
    Maragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    first post? dang nearly..... ninja'd by DD .... cool idea
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I called the story contest, ijs.

Definitely entering b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • MistaBwanden - Sanctuary
    MistaBwanden - Sanctuary Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Great idea, however, before any more events come out like this, wouldn't it be better to take care of others and announce those winners first?
    For example, the facebook contest.
    And the recent fashion one too.
    Just seems like you'd want less entries to go through first, not more. :P
  • VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver
    VerenKaunis - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,099 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Bah, 250 words. Made me sad when I read that at first. <_<

By the way frankie, was this event influenced in any way by Aadi's thread?
    This alt has been brought to you by lkurei - Harshlands.
    I'm a guy. b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] lol
    'I think most of us f2p players stopped caring about buying gold once the ani packs came in, bent the gold market over a chair and did unspeakable things to it. >_>' Miugre - Heavens Tear
  • Starr - Harshlands
    Starr - Harshlands Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Great idea, however, before any more events come out like this, wouldn't it be better to take care of others and announce those winners first?

so very true. all these contests but never any winners b:cry wasnt there a "help a noob" contest also?
    the good Starr
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Do mobs/bosses count?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Hehe...already signed, sealed, and sent in.

b:mischievous

Also, Frankie, can we enter more than once...if not...well, I feel good about my entry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Nakara - Raging Tide
    Nakara - Raging Tide Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    The Boss no1 wants to fight yeah i win
    b:sin
  • frankieraye
    edited March 2010

The fashion contest doesn't end until the 19th, so we'll announce winners soon after that.

The facebook contest is a whole different kind of beast: it involves account verification and other tedious steps that make it take longer than your average contest to process.

So I realize some of you are getting antsy about the prize winners, but don't worry, they're on the way :)

FrankieRaye
  • frankieraye
    edited March 2010
    Do mobs/bosses count?

Mobs and bosses don't count for this one, but perhaps we'll run a future event to figure them out :)

And good question b:victory
  • BeingHope - Raging Tide
    BeingHope - Raging Tide Posts: 1,869 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Sounds exciting! b:laugh

Totally going to do it :P Wait to see the brain of an 8th graders writing.. LOL xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hiatus from April 2011
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Do mobs/bosses count?

i thnk thatd b a very interesting contest. every1 remembers the ghost lady quest near hidden orchird no? i mean all the **** about haggist or (dont remember oversized ghouls name) what made them so cruel to do that to ppl? or what made some bosses what the are? why choose to hurt ppl in fb19, or fb89? C i think its cool, npc memoirs r great. alot im just very curious about. can some1 PLZ make something on duke blacke and why he has 7 wives. i mean really b:sweat but bosses, considering they play a 50.5% larger role than npc's they should be included aswell b:cute
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt
  • jokerxdude
    jokerxdude Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    b:dirtyAnother writing contest?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Why So Stupid?

Want a darker race? A race fighting for their humanity?
    Go here
    > pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132 You know you want to.

Anime! Anime! Oh PW Anime!
    Coming Soon...
  • Lady_Tsubasa - Raging Tide
    Lady_Tsubasa - Raging Tide Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Oh my god! I got so excited when i read this on the blog. I needed an inspiration to start writing again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Densetsu- BM - 1x, Lady_Juliet - Wiz - 1x, Shivahime - Sin - 0x
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Mobs and bosses don't count for this one, but perhaps we'll run a future event to figure them out :)

And good question b:victory

QQ
    Wanted to write about Krimson's childhood
    Or maybe Vriddis is Jewelscalen's secret less talented under-looked angsty brother
    I mean, come on D:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • XXSairaXx - Dreamweaver
    XXSairaXx - Dreamweaver Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    250 isn't much but it wouldn't hurt to try. b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Remember to feed your Clerics three meals a day! <3
  • Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver
    Ilwyn_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Only 250 words??? Damn, not good for a creative writing major. D:
  • Shiyuzhi - Heavens Tear
    Shiyuzhi - Heavens Tear Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Condensing a life story in 250 words is certainly a challenge. *debates wether or not to enter*
    "I have no personality whatsoever. Cower before my blandness!"

Cookie to whomever gets the reference.
  • Pressa - Heavens Tear
    Pressa - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    yxh%20(13).gif I have been thinking about doing this regardless of events. yxh%20(37).gif This should be fun 250 words or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I got all ZOMG YAY, over this. I love writing. And then it was like 250 or less. At first I read it wrong and thought it should be atleast 250, but eh, less than? Gah, can't recall the last time I wrote something at that length which I was pleased with. I get that 200 people handing in something at the size of LOTR would be rather bothersome, but atleast give us 1000 words or whatever. x.x;;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    250 words... or less?

You guys make me cry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Finally a contest that art challenged people like me can do. b:victory The word limit is a bit restrictive, but that's fine by me (flash fiction class, don't fail me now). I already have a few ideas for which NPC to use. And Frankie, you never answered Konari's question about entering more than once. I think I might have to do so as well.

Well, anyway, good luck to all my fellow writers out there. Let's show them that words can be art as well! b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • BarbHammer - Heavens Tear
    BarbHammer - Heavens Tear Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I can't go 250 or less I need a minimum of atleast 1000 maybe 1500 I'm a detailed person when writing b:cry
    I do as the Romans do, I wash my hands of thee.
  • SinCityChick - Dreamweaver
    SinCityChick - Dreamweaver Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Meh, condensing life stories can make them hard to understand...but I tried! Sending it in as soon as I get my screenie...btw, should we e-mail it with our character name somewhere, or will you guys e-mail us back at the address we use if you pick our entry?

~It has been 2-3 weeks since I submitted a ticket about this stupid avatar...a little tiresome...~
    For those times when *facepalm* and *headdesk* just aren't enough, I present...*brickhead*...painful, effective, and guaranteed to make you forget why you hit yourself in the first place.

R.I.P.:
    SkyLight (faction)
    Andracil (teh BEST MOD EVER!)
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Meh, condensing life stories can make them hard to understand...but I tried! Sending it in as soon as I get my screenie...btw, should we e-mail it with our character name somewhere, or will you guys e-mail us back at the address we use if you pick our entry?

~It has been 2-3 weeks since I submitted a ticket about this stupid avatar...a little tiresome...~

Just to be safe, I put in my own character name and server when I e-mailed it.

^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Valintine - Heavens Tear
    Valintine - Heavens Tear Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Why the complaining about 250 words? It is possible to write a good story about someone's history without writing a novel. Its not like they're asking how the NPC was born, where, who their parents were, how their parents met, why the NPC wound up wherever the NPC wound up at, and so on.

Besides, its a challenge. It makes you stick to stuff that's pertinent, not go rambling on and on and on.

I'll be entering this one, for certain.
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Why the complaining about 250 words? It is possible to write a good story about someone's history without writing a novel. Its not like they're asking how the NPC was born, where, who their parents were, how their parents met, why the NPC wound up wherever the NPC wound up at, and so on.

Besides, its a challenge. It makes you stick to stuff that's pertinent, not go rambling on and on and on.

I'll be entering this one, for certain.

+ 1 plus, I don't think the workers are cut out for any more reading...they aren't English teachers who do this day after day >_>

Don't add fluff to the stories!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
  • Alliptica - Raging Tide
    Alliptica - Raging Tide Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    im not a creative writer, but good luck to all b:cute
    -retired-

now playing megaten and...Forsaken World ;)
  • Kroria - Dreamweaver
    Kroria - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Huzzah! Writing is something I can actually do! Just to check, can we do the memoir on a deceased NPC? As in not directly in the game? Just thinking back on the Untamed quests in the early twenties or so.
This discussion has been closed.