Dont have anymore patience to be cleric

Options
sinead777
sinead777 Posts: 4 Arc User
edited March 2010 in Cleric
I have tried every class and i have to say the clerics class is ridiculously hard to play and not at all entertaining as I had hoped. They have the worst defence and I cannot count the amt of times my cleric has died up to her level - 29. My psychic who is also supposed to be squishy has not died quarter as much.

Its ridiculous bout the way the clerics are created! And please dont tell me oh ive done this and that wrong. I did research i did the whole 1 str and 9 mag for every second level. some of her gear is still npc but there is some good gear there too. Ppl tell me i shud farm for mats to buy epic gear but i dont fancy holding back leveln for bout a whole month or more just to farm. Id rather watch paint dry.

I only use plume shot as my main attack right now and cyclone now and then and the ironheart blessing. I was advised to use the ironheart blessing as skill number 1 before hitn monster and to spam it on my cleric 2/3 times before using my plum shot AND to use hp pot while in the fight.

Now my cleric died 4 times in the space of 15 mins doing a normal quest. What is up with that? Or do you just have to have ridiculous patience to be cleric. Ive been so frustrated with this class that i have stopped playing to be honest.

Why make it ridiculously hard to play cleric?? On top of the abuse I see some clerics get off insensitive ppl in a party, they are the hardest class to play, I think the clerics shud be looked at properly..... My bf's level 72 veno pwned a 90+ cleric from a very strong faction... I mean come on!
Post edited by sinead777 on

Comments

• Kimbley - Harshlands
    Kimbley - Harshlands Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It's not ridiculously hard... maybe they just aren't your style =\

My cleric is 40ish and has yet to die.... i use plume shot, cyclone, ironheart, and my buffs...

And clerics are certainly not more squishy than wizards
    And as for your comment on psychics.... psychics are a really powerful early on due to their fast-casting and strong attacks; and the fact that they get a knockback at 19

In the end, clerics aren't necessarily meant to be a solo class, maybe you would be better off as pure support...
  • sinead777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    wow kimbley ur first person who told me clerics are easy peasy lol! Do you have a main where ur main cud afford great gear for ur cleric. She must be pretty epic if she has not died yet lol. You dont state ur build etc or anything so how is it that your cleric is AMAZING lol?
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    sinead777 wrote: »
    I have tried every class and i have to say the clerics class is ridiculously hard to play and not at all entertaining as I had hoped. They have the worst defence and I cannot count the amt of times my cleric has died up to her level - 29. My psychic who is also supposed to be squishy has not died quarter as much.

Its ridiculous bout the way the clerics are created! And please dont tell me oh ive done this and that wrong. I did research i did the whole 1 str and 9 mag for every second level. some of her gear is still npc but there is some good gear there too. Ppl tell me i shud farm for mats to buy epic gear but i dont fancy holding back leveln for bout a whole month or more just to farm. Id rather watch paint dry.

I only use plume shot as my main attack right now and cyclone now and then and the ironheart blessing. I was advised to use the ironheart blessing as skill number 1 before hitn monster and to spam it on my cleric 2/3 times before using my plum shot AND to use hp pot while in the fight.

Now my cleric died 4 times in the space of 15 mins doing a normal quest. What is up with that? Or do you just have to have ridiculous patience to be cleric. Ive been so frustrated with this class that i have stopped playing to be honest.

Why make it ridiculously hard to play cleric?? On top of the abuse I see some clerics get off insensitive ppl in a party, they are the hardest class to play, I think the clerics shud be looked at properly..... My bf's level 72 veno pwned a 90+ cleric from a very strong faction... I mean come on!

Clerics are pretty hard to play for me too, and I have it worse on archer than you on cleric. and he's only 19 b:surrender. Your definitely playing your cleric wrong and even I'm not used to clerics know that your playing your cleric wrong.

pure MAG is best for solo imo, in squad you might be an arggo stealer for squad, if you not playing properly, getting epic gear won't do anything for you except boost your survivalbility, not saying don't get it, you need at least decent gears to do well.

Plume shot should NOT be your final attack, I switched from plume shot to cyclone and kite with cyclone, as soon as I got thunderball, I barely solo with plume shot anymore. Plume shot is very suicidal as a final attack don't use it at that situation. even thunderball is better as a final attack. Just finish with cyclone. I suffered this problem as well, and I solved it with just cyclone while kiting. My archer can't kite, nor tank and HA will be pointless because I get few spells and I'm as good as dead

4 times is nothing, and in 15 mins compared to my archer. I died almost 10 times in 10 mins as archer and I still will not give up on him

Last but not least, venoes are overpowered, well of course the ones that know what they are doing. They are even more of a trouble with nixes PVE and PVP wise

It's not ridiculously hard... maybe they just aren't your style =\

My cleric is 40ish and has yet to die.... i use plume shot, cyclone, ironheart, and my buffs...

And clerics are certainly not more squishy than wizards
    And as for your comment on psychics.... psychics are a really powerful early on due to their fast-casting and strong attacks; and the fact that they get a knockback at 19

In the end, clerics aren't necessarily meant to be a solo class, maybe you would be better off as pure support...

Actually clerics are more squishy than wizards, wizards have more defense bonuses, and elemental defense bonuses. Their self buffs and the cleric's buff stacks together
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • sinead777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thank you so much Yulk for that honest helpful decent reply. Yeh I think I may definitely be playing her wrong. I will definitely try the cyclone and begin to use the thunderball and not rely so much on plume if it can be suicidal. I feel her damage is bad too despite her build being mostly magic.
  • sinead777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I really want to be a cleric cos I do like the skills and I like healing in parties and everything, its just so frustrating the amt of times shes died and keeps losing exp lol, I didnt realise that being a cleric required just a little more strategy and stuff.
  • sinead777
    edited February 2010
    Options
    oh and i did forget to mention that my bfs 72 veno has a nix that hit the 90+ cleric. He even told me that there was no way he wud have been able to do that without the nix.
  • VenosRop - Lost City
    VenosRop - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    L2plume shell/kite
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    clerics be easy.....
    not really that much different from wizards....
    learn to ironheart stack.
    b:surrender
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FootStep - Sanctuary
    FootStep - Sanctuary Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Plume shot is an amazing skill. I don't know what you guys are talking about, but it's completely spam-able and an amazing tool to use against Mag. Resist mobs. Plume and IB are the two skills I level before everything else.

I would suggest putting some points in to vit. I capped mine at 50 and I can't tell you the ammount of times it's saved me.

The only time I really die anymore is if I go AFK in a bad spot or BH squads gone wrong (although even that's only happened twice).
    I didn't die that much lvl 1-30. Throughout the thirties I died a bit but nothing that was too epic. Just know your limits and watch your HP bar. :)
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ^This
    Ironheart what makes me jealous seeing a cleric that hp almost never lowered to half b:surrender
    Well that not in low lv though b:laugh and if they not in a instance. b:thanks

I guess i resume playing my cleric o.o . . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Anjiru - Sanctuary
    Anjiru - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It's hard because you're not using cyclone. Great Cyclone lowers the target's speed, so it'll take the mob longer to get to you. The more you level it, the more range it'll get and the better the slow effect will be.

Since you're pretty new, you also might want to add some vit into your build. To be honest, I find clerics one of the more easier classes to solo with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:laugh
    ---
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics."
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It's hard because you're not using cyclone. Great Cyclone lowers the target's speed, so it'll take the mob longer to get to you. The more you level it, the more range it'll get and the better the slow effect will be.

Since you're pretty new, you also might want to add some vit into your build. To be honest, I find clerics one of the more easier classes to solo with.

^that, use your cyclone to kite non-range mobs. If for some reason you stack IronHeart and its not cutting it (unno why) use welspring surge for an emergency heal.

I personally didnt have problems going full mag in early levels. But like said above, it might be worth it for you to add some Vit.
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Plume shot should NOT be your final attack, I switched from plume shot to cyclone and kite with cyclone, as soon as I got thunderball, I barely solo with plume shot anymore. Plume shot is very suicidal as a final attack don't use it at that situation. even thunderball is better as a final attack. Just finish with cyclone. I suffered this problem as well, and I solved it with just cyclone while kiting. My archer can't kite, nor tank and HA will be pointless because I get few spells and I'm as good as dead

Plume shot is one of the key attacks to clerics, even more important than lightning ball cause deals a lot of damage on one hit.

I use Great Cyclone -> plume shot x3 and most melee enemies dies before reaching me, and ranged hit me once or twice before dying and not taking too much of my HP.

I barely use IH or any kind of healing while killing a mob and almost never died while 20-30 lvls when you face a lot of physyical dealer enemies.
    Actually clerics are more squishy than wizards, wizards have more defense bonuses, and elemental defense bonuses. Their self buffs and the cleric's buff stacks together

Clerics have a lot of usefull skills to his survival: Heals, purify, zeals. The trick is to know thy enemy and modify your attack pattern accordingly.

If full mag doesn't fit to your gamestyle, try go hybrid adding some points into Vit. Something around 40~60 Vit is the most common amount without nerfing too much your magic output.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Choze - Dreamweaver
    Choze - Dreamweaver Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I believe you also mentioned gouing with the "pure" 9mag 1str build. Trying go vit-mag, at least for somewhere around 50 vit (7mag 2vit 1 str).

I've found using ironheart to heal and using vit-mag build doesn't require really expensive armor to be quite successfull. I usually only die if I'm goofing around, or something goes horribly wrong in a group run:P
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Levels 20 to early 30s are usually hard for clerics. b:shocked I myself used the same build (and still am! 3 base vit ftw) and died quite a few times.

But once you get past those levels, it usually becomes much more easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    did you use physical defence neck and belt ornaments?

Im pretty much full mag right now but when i started off i didnt follow the guild. Instead i put about equal amount in VIT also (20 or so vit) instead of everything into mag the early levels. i didnt know why pple had so much trouble with cleric
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Xoria - Sanctuary
    Xoria - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Kite, kite, kite.

b:chuckle Do as I say, not as I do. It might be true cleric just isn't your style. Starting out, I don't think I got great cyclone til almost level 40. I pretty much maxed out Plume Shot, Ironheart, Spirit's Gift and Vanguard Spirit. Died once in a blue moon and never any HP pots. I only added STR when my weapon called for more and no, I don't kite. I lagged/ still lag too much to actually attack, kite, attack, kite, etc, etc. (And I didn't have any channel gear 'til 77.)

Range is your friend. All I can say is mix it up and see what skills combined together work to meet your goal. Honestly speaking, once your cleric hits 59 and learns Regeneration Aura, they start to sit in Rebirth all the time and skyrocket in levels anymore.
    [In a distorted place and time][The knife that stabbed me in the back grants me wings]
    [I keep looking to the sky][In order to flee from the memories]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [The world that expands inside of your arms is][///the last secret garden///]
    [If you've already forgotten me, don't forget...]
    [The things that we once embraced]
  • LifeAfterDth - Heavens Tear
    LifeAfterDth - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I would have to agree with adding some vit and phys defense ornaments, str only enough for gear, any more is wasted completely. Plume shot is decent at your lvl but soon will be out dont by your metal attacks, be sure to upgrade your metal mastery whenever its available. Im a serious hybrid build but i rarely die and i solo everything. I absolutely hate squading for quest and ive never been in a situation that i can recall where i felt i had too. My normal routine for a mob is 1 ironheart, silent seal, wield thunder, cyclone, plume, cyclone. If theres any hp left the next skill depends on the amount but rarely takes more than that.

Silent seal is pretty discouraging at low levels but once you get it to lvl 8ish it starts to shine.
  • Skybelle - Sanctuary
    Skybelle - Sanctuary Posts: 595 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Kite, kite, kite.

b:chuckle Do as I say, not as I do. It might be true cleric just isn't your style. Starting out, I don't think I got great cyclone til almost level 40. I pretty much maxed out Plume Shot, Ironheart, Spirit's Gift and Vanguard Spirit. Died once in a blue moon and never any HP pots. I only added STR when my weapon called for more and no, I don't kite. I lagged/ still lag too much to actually attack, kite, attack, kite, etc, etc. (And I didn't have any channel gear 'til 77.)

Range is your friend. All I can say is mix it up and see what skills combined together work to meet your goal. Honestly speaking, once your cleric hits 59 and learns Regeneration Aura, they start to sit in Rebirth all the time and skyrocket in levels anymore.

^ Without kiting mobs, I'd be dead by now. That's why I didn't even need to level Wield Thunder until my 70s. b:victory (just got it to lv. 9)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    my C H A R A C T E R S ; feel free to message me in game.
    Skybelle (cleric; currently on break) | Psybelle (psychic; rarely on) | Cocobelle (veno; current main)
  • Trayous - Sanctuary
    Trayous - Sanctuary Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Plume shot = best against increase mag resist mobs.
    Cyclone = best again increase defense mobs .

So for me i only use one or the other if i get one of those mobs.

I personly use a macro with plume cyclone plume cyclone ironheart plume cyclone but only use it against magic type mobs.

If the mobs a magic type then you should be fine because your natural resistance to there attacks but dont stand within melee distance of them they will hit you as hard as any melee mob.

If its a melee type mob dont stand toe to toe with it you will lose, learn to Kite them. As said previously Cyclone is the better opening attack for kiting but you dont need to just use cyclone. Open with it then run plume run and when you see slow has gone recast cyclone . If cyclone doenst slow the first time dont panic just run till its ready and cast again. If you happen to pull 2 or more mobs then kite the one you origionaly attacked Dont use a heal and keep kiting it till the other(s) go back. Then kill it as normal for what ever type it is.

Watch where you fight dont just stand where another might spawn ontop of you.

Iron heart is 15 seconds so peronaly i dont use it before the fight as its going to be roughly 8 seconds before the mobs gets to you. If you know a mobs is going to be harder than normal i.e oracle quests, make 1 attacking shot then stack 3 Iron then work on 4 shots 3 iron rinse repeat for safety. Make sure you have mana pots for those as the fights last a while .

I put weapon formost, skills then armour as and when .

Personaly i enjoy the cleric more as a healer than DPS but we need to DPS if we want to lvl reasonably.

If you follow the guide make sure you follow the skills aswell . Keep your plume maxed and what ever else it recommends.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    There are some people that aren't meant to play a healing class maybe this person is one of them.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Chrystinia - Sanctuary
    Chrystinia - Sanctuary Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Thank you guys. ;3 I've been wondering what spells were good for a cleric. Now I know what to get. b:victory
    A newb starting to start her journey into PWI.

Guild: SanctumRP b:thanks
  • XLusca - Heavens Tear
    XLusca - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    1- click mob
    2- run to max range
    3- hold down plume shot key till mob is dead
    4- press hp and mp pot hot keys if you need too
    5- pick up drops
    6- repeat

o.O I don't understand how you can die that many times doing your quests unless

- you stand right next to the mob when you start attacking
    - you aggro more than one mob at a time

My cleric didn't have any trouble at all with the 2x and 3x quests o.O
    used the fb19 wand till 34 and just used npc armor and ornaments and rings, nothing fancy at all

The only times i ever used iron heart before a fight was increased attack archer mobs.

again, I really don't understand how you can die that many times doing your own level quests O.o
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ^ agreed

Honestly I don't know how anyone really has any trouble with any class... cleric is very easy to solo with, the only time I had problems in the 50's with the tourac mobs. other then that I found the cleric to be mostly a cakewalk.
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    1- click mob
    2- run to max range
    3- hold down plume shot key till mob is dead
    4- press hp and mp pot hot keys if you need too
    5- pick up drops
    6- repeat

This. Also level up cyclone, pack on some vit, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    sinead777 wrote: »

Uhm, it isn't this hard to play a cleric. You're just making it difficult.

"1 str 9 mag" = squishy as hell cleric who won't be able to get much done without a hassle. Doesn't exactly put you in the position of being able to take many hits. The last sentence about a veno "pwning" some high level cleric isn't in the least bit impressive either.
  • Thinkalot - Dreamweaver
    Thinkalot - Dreamweaver Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    My own cleric lvl87 has no problems whatsoever doing his quests or doing instances.

True, a cleric might be a bit squishy compared to other classes, but :

1. we have high MagDef
    2. we have plumeshell

If some melee mobs need to be killed, i just use plumeshell when they get to close to my liking.
    If some increased magdef mob needs to be killed, i use plumeshot and forget about cyclone even.
    If mobs are ranged elemental, i have enuf Mdef to survive easily.

So where is the problem ?

Even in TW's i can hold my ground, and so far only melees like BM or a veno with nix/herc has killed me. Although whizzies and psy have a high dmg output, you can overcome that with your own high MagResistances. And against melees you can put up plumeshell (80% of dmg reverted into mp instead of hp) and either run or try to outdmg them.

And btw, most people tend to forget their seals. Very handy using an elemental seal against melee mobs. Decrease their Mdef and bring em down fast.
  • _Pale - Sanctuary
    _Pale - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Kiting works really well, but works better for archers (LA, faster run, speed buff) then clerics. You risk getting hit by mobs while running, while you can't fight back or heal while you are running. And ofcourse running into another mob as an arcane or pulling a second mob while you run might give you some trouble.

If all the kiting and stuff doesn't work for you...
    either because you can't drop the mobs fast enough before they reach you or can't kill them fast enough when they do, try this:

make the following macros:

1. plume shot, cyclone, plume shot, iron heart blessing, repeat (if you want more physical damage)

2. cyclone, plume shot, cyclone, iron heart blessing, repeat (better to slow down the mob)

Go to max range from the mobs before casting and attack. Most of the time the mobs will be dead before IH starts, if they are not then at least you have already started on your selfheal in the macro and by repeating the macro, you'll get the final shot in to kill the mob before they kill you.
    You will spend a little more in MP, but you'll probably die less.

Good luck

EDIT: Trayous beat me to it... :)
    Didn't see your post, but yeah same thing... :)
    I'm not there to make you survive in PWI, that's your job
    ** expected fail squad: express rule of thumb "you die by stupidity, you go to town" **
    ~Sanctuary~Cleric/Archer/Veno~Audeamus/Enelysion
  • Jlora - Sanctuary
    Jlora - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I've died a couple of times, is always good to have a squad to help you out whenever your hp is low... or get some charms...
  • Ivelliose - Harshlands
    Ivelliose - Harshlands Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Options
    LA build FTW, I'm only lvl 11, but have yet to come down to less than 1/4 hp. Clerics are pretty beast :)