Possible Geomagnetic storm in our near future...

Comments

• Kephras - Heavens Tear
    Kephras - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Now there's an image. But then again, any cosmic body with enough mass to significantly alter Earth's alignment or orbit is likely to pulverize both our planet and itself. Though the thought of a stellar game of marbles does have a certain intrigue...
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Now there's an image. But then again, any cosmic body with enough mass to significantly alter Earth's alignment or orbit is likely to pulverize both our planet and itself. Though the thought of a stellar game of marbles does have a certain intrigue...

Hi welcome to BOWLING FOR PLANETS!

~S
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    I must have movies on the brain. Now visions of Alderaan and the moon in Titan AE keep coming to mind.

On a more topic-related note, I wonder if I can put something in tinfoil outside and let the sun microwave it? Solar Power ftw b:chuckle
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I must have movies on the brain. Now visions of Alderaan and the moon in Titan AE keep coming to mind.

On a more topic-related note, I wonder if I can put something in tinfoil outside and let the sun microwave it? Solar Power ftw b:chuckle

b:chuckle Green power FTW b:victory

My friend and I are doing this project after school everyday for the entire quarter to try to make our school greener rofl. Its so fun :D
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • Kephras - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2010
    You're leaving food outside in tinfoil every day? I bet the local wildlife just LOVES your place...
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    You're leaving food outside in tinfoil every day? I bet the local wildlife just LOVES your place...

LOL no hahahahaha rofl

We count paper in both of the computer labs and the library x) it takes sooo long sometimes <___< i'm serious... took me half an hour in the computer lab since it had like 1-2k pieces of paper!
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • Luen - Lost City_1267487130
    Luen - Lost City_1267487130 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Like on the 'Knowing' movie? <_<
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    What if its a huge storm and the pentagon goes down and the systems think the U.S is under attack and start shooting off nuclear missiles across the world?.......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    What if its a huge storm and the pentagon goes down and the systems think the U.S is under attack and start shooting off nuclear missiles across the world?.......

won't happen
    >.<'
    we has already taken care of that.
    just needed some really primitive basic chemistry.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlbireoTwo - Lost City
    AlbireoTwo - Lost City Posts: 2,056 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    won't happen
    >.<'
    we has already taken care of that.
    just needed some really primitive basic chemistry.
    And what happens if the storm is so powerful it blows your chemistry away.

THEN WHAT?!?!?!?

WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you Forsakenx for the picture. b:thanks
  • Kaneharo - Dreamweaver
    Kaneharo - Dreamweaver Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    And this whole time I thought my computer was going to flip me the bird tomorrow and explode... Turns out it was just the sun deciding to touch my computer in a way I would not like.
    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞
    ☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Pew Pew Pew!
    Quotes of Awesomeness:
    "that word, "solo". i don't think it means what you think it means." - LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Amsel - Sanctuary
    Amsel - Sanctuary Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    @.@ wait so when is this happening server time exactly? or did it D: i tried to figure out the conversion but i got confused b:cry
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    @.@ wait so when is this happening server time exactly? or did it D: i tried to figure out the conversion but i got confused b:cry

Depending on how fast the storm is moving, it will hit Earth anytime between now and 2 days from now.

~S
  • Amsel - Sanctuary
    Amsel - Sanctuary Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited February 2010
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    No problem. With any luck, the storm won't have much if any effect on us but it always good to be prepared just in case.

~S
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Ummm...Cool? b:shocked

You just happened to stumble upon this? O_o
    You can sign up to be notified by email at the links in the first post. I signed up several years ago so I'd get some advance warning on aurorae which I could photograph. Now I'm trying to figure out why I didn't get the email...

Should make for a nice backdrop for nighttime at the Olympics if the rain ever lets up. Aurora are just awesome.
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=aurora&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0
  • Taksuke - Dreamweaver
    Taksuke - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    better get those books ready b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<=== thks Forsakenx for the great siggy
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    And what happens if the storm is so powerful it blows your chemistry away.

THEN WHAT?!?!?!?

WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.

who said we be using primitive chemistry to protect ourselves?
    xD
    we be using it only to prevent humanities primitive nuclear arms from accidentally triggering.
    (teh trigger mechanisms be soo~~~~ bad) x_X
    (>.<)'
    besides this be okie lol. not like we going to have skies on fire and stuff.
    b:chuckle
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    You can sign up to be notified by email at the links in the first post. I signed up several years ago so I'd get some advance warning on aurorae which I could photograph. Now I'm trying to figure out why I didn't get the email...

Should make for a nice backdrop for nighttime at the Olympics if the rain ever lets up. Aurora are just awesome.
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=aurora&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

XD I signed up initially because I was doing a research paper on solar phenomena back when I initially got interested in astronomy and solar astronomy. Since then I have used the e-mails to warn friends in the more northern latitudes to expect good aurora's and to unplug their electronics.

As I now live in Hawaii, it will have to be one BIG storm for me to see them.

~S
  • othella
    othella Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Oh, wow. Thanks for letting us know! I had no idea why my browsing was suddenly so much slower, and why I had to run the game on the lowest settings to avoid lag.
    IGN: [Undecided]
    Class: [Undecided] Most definitely trying the Bard and Marksman classes. Also interested in the Assassin, Mage, Priest, and Protector.

Looking to join a guild once the game is officially released - one that is friendly, mature, and doesn't take itself too seriously. Recruit me?
  • DrazoThePsy - Dreamweaver
    DrazoThePsy - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    *coughwrongforumcough*

Well if the GMs start acting extra weird, we'll know why now. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nexdonum - Lost City
    Nexdonum - Lost City Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Nope, I am hooked into the SIDC and get e-mails from them much like the SIDC PRESTO alert I posted with the above. Usually they just have basic information about sunspots etc but when one goes nuckin futz, they send out a presto.

I am among many things, an amature astronomer and amature solar astronomer. Yeah I know, I have some odd hobbies.

~S

Awesome. I would consider myself to be a novice astronomer, as I don't know or study much (yet) except for random topics that really catch my eye.

This link http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/10mar_stormwarning.htm actually discusses the high probability that this could be one of the worst storms we've had in almost all of recorded history. And for those who may or may not be astronomically literate, it also provides a brief synapse of what causes Geomagnetic storms, solar flares which come from sunspots (think of a lava lamp while reading it's description, of activity and characteristics, towards the end) and their (the sunspots') cycle. It's a pretty interesting article (IMO of course), and could maybe help educate people into the possible risk that something like this does pose, if on the scale they are referring to. It also poses another possible problem, that this is only the beginning of the big storm. Not one storm necessarily, but many of them over a relatively short span of time, which of course is a solar maximum (which I know you already know of this Saitada, just putting it in as a side-like note for other posters reading this).

Very interesting, and sometimes mind blowing stuff. :)

I haven't been keeping up the last few weeks, so I haven't heard anything on this quite yet, so thanks for bringing this up. b:thanks
    We have two ears and one tongue so that we would listen more and talk less. - Diogenes

It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them. - Pierre Beaumarchais

You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - Unknown
  • hawk
    hawk Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Moved to off topic, where all future geomagnetic storm discussion should take place.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    Awesome. I would consider myself to be a novice astronomer, as I don't know or study much (yet) except for random topics that really catch my eye.

This link http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/10mar_stormwarning.htm actually discusses the high probability that this could be one of the worst storms we've had in almost all of recorded history. And for those who may or may not be astronomically literate, it also provides a brief synapse of what causes Geomagnetic storms, solar flares which come from sunspots (think of a lava lamp while reading it's description, of activity and characteristics, towards the end) and their (the sunspots') cycle. It's a pretty interesting article (IMO of course), and could maybe help educate people into the possible risk that something like this does pose, if on the scale they are referring to. It also poses another possible problem, that this is only the beginning of the big storm. Not one storm necessarily, but many of them over a relatively short span of time, which of course is a solar maximum (which I know you already know of this Saitada, just putting it in as a side-like note for other posters reading this).

Very interesting, and sometimes mind blowing stuff. :)

I haven't been keeping up the last few weeks, so I haven't heard anything on this quite yet, so thanks for bringing this up. b:thanks

It is good to find others that have an interest in topics like this.

~S
  • Ballistixz - Heavens Tear
    Ballistixz - Heavens Tear Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2010

thats actually the theory on how the moon was made. simply put some huge planet collided with earth bilions of years ago and the resulting ejection cooled and formed the moon. thats the theory anyways, not claiming it to be true.

and no this event wont have any effect on humans.
  • Nexdonum - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    and no this event wont have any effect on humans.

I beg your pardon? There are several possible effects that this possibly could have on humans. People with pace-makers, GPS and cell phone coverage, power outages (as others have mentioned), automobile trouble (if a large enough flare, similar to an EMP), then the not so likely (but still possible) magnetic field of the Earth shifting (think of the North pole and South pole reversing polarities, which is a bad and again not very likely scenario), and quite a few more options.

Although the situations I've presented are not very likely, they are certainly possible, especially if this whole event (not just this incoming storm) is as strong (or stronger, as we've miscalculated the estimated strength of solar activity many times before, showing our true ignorance to how the Universe really works, but I won't get into that) as they (scientists, and the community that agrees with them) believe could happen.

I suppose I'm just not very enthused about your wording that like it is fact that it will not happen. You don't know, and neither does anyone else for that matter. Just remember, it's always possible, however improbable.

b:victory

Large Edit: Also, this is an interesting fact that I had neglected:
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Solar flares release a cascade of high energy particles known as a proton storm. Protons can pass through the human body, doing biochemical damage.

So, not only can this disturb people with pace-makers (and other electronic devices implanted into their bodies), it's also entirely possible that with a large enough CME, a strong proton storm would be created, and that can destroy you just as easily.

IIRC, I had read that if a large enough CME were to occur, that it could quite literally wipe all life from the face of the earth, and what's frightening about that is we don't have any real way to divert this from happening. No heroic government organization, no conspiracy theories, just it would be the end of life as we know it. So basically, we would know it was happening, but there isn't any real way to survive it, unless you could possibly get 2+ miles down, in a mine shaft or something, but that isn't really plausible, not on a major scale. And coupled with the fact that we would have roughly 15 minutes or so to act after we find this out, it's really humbling to realize that we can't really do anything in the face of the Universe.

I don't mean to upset or startle anyone with this info, if by chance I do, I'm just interested in sharing what little knowledge I have. :P
    We have two ears and one tongue so that we would listen more and talk less. - Diogenes

It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them. - Pierre Beaumarchais

You cannot reason someone out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - Unknown
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    edited February 2010
    I beg your pardon? There are several possible effects that this possibly could have on humans. People with pace-makers, GPS and cell phone coverage, power outages (as others have mentioned), automobile trouble (if a large enough flare, similar to an EMP), then the not so likely (but still possible) magnetic field of the Earth shifting (think of the North pole and South pole reversing polarities, which is a bad and again not very likely scenario), and quite a few more options.

Although the situations I've presented are not very likely, they are certainly possible, especially if this whole event (not just this incoming storm) is as strong (or stronger, as we've miscalculated the estimated strength of solar activity many times before, showing our true ignorance to how the Universe really works, but I won't get into that) as they (scientists, and the community that agrees with them) believe could happen.

I suppose I'm just not very enthused about your wording that like it is fact that it will not happen. You don't know, and neither does anyone else for that matter. Just remember, it's always possible, however improbable.

b:victory

You know Nexdonum, my initial impression of you was wrong, and I apologize to you for assuming you were one of the morons on the forums and treating you as such. It is nice to see someone else on the forums that doesn't use their brain to sit on. Please take a look in your forum mail.

~S
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Sounds..cool.

(Everytime I use the internet from now on, Im gonna think that suddenly the internet has gone slow.)

*google searches stuff about stuff*

Where did you get this info? cuz something is screaming at me and is saying that this is a big placebo. =.=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • Nexdonum - Lost City
    edited February 2010
    You know Nexdonum, my initial impression of you was wrong, and I apologize to you for assuming you were one of the morons on the forums and treating you as such. It is nice to see someone else on the forums that doesn't use their brain to sit on. Please take a look in your forum mail.

~S

Thank you. I accept and appreciate your gesture. I too extend my apologies, for my somewhat crude remarks. :) I understand, and wholeheartedly agree with you on the comment, "It is nice to see someone else on the forums that doesn't use their brain to sit on."

b:thanks

Also, I have replied to your message. b:victory