New and dont understand.

Comments

• Airyll - Dreamweaver
    Airyll - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,882 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    1. The forums are a place for discussion. Like all discussions in real life, everybody will have an opinion. Like all people in real life, some are coherent in the way they state their opinion, others are just asses.

2. The forum community compared to the actual game community is small. Why read through forums and treat them like we stand for the entire game? Sorry to say, we don't and never did, and never will do either.

3. Play the game to get an experience of the game. I'm about to sound mean, and I apologise, but common sense FTW. Forums =/= game by any stretch of the imagination.

4. People are pissed off with the company because, recently, the company has given them reason to be pissed off. Some people can actually form a good, well written post to express their anger, others QQ and then others just troll because they have the IQ of a rock and don't know how to not make themselves look stupid.

5. You're focusing on all the negatives. People on these forums are helpful, give insightful advice and have an overall generally pleasant demeanour. Maybe if you tried looking at the positives, you would feel better.

=)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pot_Head/ - Lost City10
    Pot_Head/ - Lost City10 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    just ignore those people....
    me has good news.
    (^.^)
    as mentioned before there be a blacklist feature in game which you can use.
    d(^.^)

I half to use Blacklist a lot because I get harassed because of my name.b:sad
  • haybails
    haybails Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    This is a very good assessment of the forums by the OP. In general, there is not a great deal of respect shown although decency prevails for a number of posters. Nobody can argue the point, as can be seen from this thread even, how amazing it is that some have caused it to degenerate already!

Having said that about the forums, it is quite different in game. Sure, there are some people you may come across that you won't wish to form a team with in the future but most are fine.

As has been said before, only a fraction of players post on the forums. The rest use it for reference or don't even check it.

Give PWI a try, the in-game community is not so bad at all. Pick a server for what you like (PvE or PvP), try the different character classes out and enjoy!
  • asdhajsdh
    asdhajsdh Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Like all discussions in real life, everybody will have an opinion. Like all people in real life, some are coherent in the way they state their opinion, others are just asses.
    Reminds me of a saying, opinions are like asses, everyone has one, but not every one wants to see what's in em. Some are very appealing to look at, while others are just too disgusting of a sight to bear at all.
    -Former 100 EP on Delphi, coming to try PWI :D
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    asdhajsdh wrote: »
    Reminds me of a saying, opinions are like asses, everyone has one, but not every one wants to see what's in em. Some are very appealing to look at, while others are just too disgusting of a sight to bear at all.

Welcome to the PWi forums...or any forum for that matter!! b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Starchief - Sanctuary
    Starchief - Sanctuary Posts: 606 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i liek cake O.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Welcome to the PWi forums...or any forum for that matter!! b:chuckle

I would love to show you tons of forums w/o trolls, flamers and where with every serious thread you get civilized respond from educated folks (i dont mean just high education, even ppl with just elementary education have more common sense then ppl here) .
    Where in spam threads you cant find any ill temper and where jokes are jokes and not some conspiracy like PWi forum player base thinks.
    b:mischievous
    b:dirty
  • lvl100ea
    lvl100ea Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    and not some conspiracy like PWi forum player base thinks.

inb4 spoons posts the same "it's a conspiracy" picture that he does every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    I would love to show you tons of forums w/o trolls, flamers and where with every serious thread you get civilized respond from educated folks (i dont mean just high education, even ppl with just elementary education have more common sense then ppl here) .
    Where in spam threads you cant find any ill temper and where jokes are jokes and not some conspiracy like PWi forum player base thinks.

Just an fyi I am on 6 forums and Mod 4 of them.

There are always a few bad seeds even in the most civilized of forums.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Just an fyi I am on 6 forums and Mod 4 of them.

There are always a few bad seeds even in the most civilized of forums.b:surrender

Also am/was a mod in few, was an admin and am regular member in more then few forums.
    And yes, there are bad seeds, but they are very rare and are stopped fast.
    Strict forum policy towards trolls and flamers b:surrender
  • MissAnthrope - Sanctuary
    MissAnthrope - Sanctuary Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    i would just like to point our to the OP.. that my thread about the 82 cleric who dies to low level bosses was just to show you what not to do. You can only try so much to help someone to do the job right, but that cleric wasnt hearing it. Okay goodbye now.
    and watch out for the "in" crowd.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear
    Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Ive looked around for a bit now, and noticed, there isnt much a community feeling on these forums... is this how people will be treated in game too? I'm currently downloading the client, but after looking here, I'm really second guessing whether this community is going to drive me away just off the incentive someone disagrees or dislikes what I say.

The forums are not a good representation of the ingame community, which on HT atleast is very good IMO. Always people willing to help and give advice.
    Ofc you have the vocal minority of morons on World Chat but just ignore them and enjoy the game with the majority of nice people.

The General Discussion section of the Forums on the other hand is not a good place to base your judgment on.
    30% of the threads and posts are well thought out debates or info to help other players. Sadly the other 70% is filled with trolls, attention ******, idiots and those with diaherra of the finger tips ....

The first thing I noticed, was this strange reverence to those who... i guess, troll... is the term? Ones who generally post obscene and vulgar, or just plain asinine and nonsensical posts, are the ones who are respected most. Does this mean I must resort to degrading myself to make friends here?

It's Not reverence .... We treat them like you would a disabled dog ... with sympathy ... Just pat them on the head and then ignore them while they try to bury a bone in concrete.
    Next on my list is the complaints, is the general populace just discontented as a whole? I read through quite a few of these kinds of posts where players would just whine and complain for the sake of noticing their own text. Who complains about a beneficial 2x drop/EXP event? Then these same people have the gall to insult the company, as if they're some horrible business practitioners who only want to line their wallets. According to many reviews I've gone over, this is one of the most well taken care of games in terms of quality and amount of bots/gold selling spammers.

Some people will always complain about anything, they seem to have some misguided theory that its THEIR game and everything should be how THEY want it.
    So is there any reason why I should not just cancel my download, and actually install this...? The community seems more like a thorny bush than a teddy bear giving out hugs to welcome new guys b:shocked

Loads of reasons. Ignore the forums and play the game and you will see the ingame community is a totally differant.
  • Nehru - Heavens Tear
    Nehru - Heavens Tear Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The forum really isn't an accurate representation of the server communities.
    Game forums tend to have a higher volume of complaining and trolling than the actual servers. This is true of any MMO, not just PWI. There is an actual forum community hidden amid all the flames and whining, but you won't find it in the complaints or troll threads. b:chuckle

My advice would be o go ahead and download the game and install it. Pick a server and play for a bit. if you like the server stick with it, if not then try another one.
    "It is said that whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. In fact, whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first hand the equivilant of a stick with a fizzing fuse and ACME Dynamite Company written on the side. It's more interesting, and doesn't take so long."
    - Terry Pratchett
  • fiznik
    fiznik Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Biggest thing you have to remember about the forums, is people only tend to speak when they are unhappy, hence all the bad blood here. In game there are alot of cool people that are no where near as critical on gameplay as the forums would make the community seem to be.

I would encourage you to give the game a try, if you play to entertain yourself, and aren't just looking to inflate your ego by appeassing/ridiculing others, this is actually one of the better F2P MMO's out there IMO = )
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited January 2010

With a post like this, you fit right in, welcome to the PWI Forums. This is the attitude you have to keep in order to not get pulled down. Just have a laugh at the non-sense, enjoy the good advice peppered in the posts, and never take anything personal.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Who complains about a beneficial 2x drop/EXP event?

I won't complain, but I don't think they should happen anymore. The 2x drop event devistates the TT market. There are only a couple of ways to make coin in game without merchanting, where you either need to have a separate computer running a client to buy/sell 24 hours a day, or be banned for multi-clienting.

2x drop is great for the casual player to get their drops for gear and for the religious TT farmers who do it for hours a day to make tons of money, but for the casual player who runs a few TT instances a week for extra coin are screwed. I still have mats from the first event that haven't sold... I can't afford to cash-shop continuously, and many of the other ways to make some in-game coin have been eliminated or reduced significantly.

2x drop rates + high gold prices = bigger need to cash shop because items like charms, mounts and fash become harder to obtain from just playing the game.

I know people will disagree with me, but I don't really care. :P
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Thistle_grey - Sanctuary
    Thistle_grey - Sanctuary Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I rarely make comment on the forums as the drama found here doesn't either impress me or annoy me, nor do I bother with complaints against the 'establishment'. I am here to enjoy myself and play. If you should end up on Sanctuary, feel free to ask for any help you might need, I am always willing to provide. b:pleased Oh, ignore the spelling under my avatar, it is Thistle_Grey with the capital G.
    "Imagination is more important than intelligence."
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited January 2010

I agree with Michael. I would add that it also increased inflation on items that are not usualy tied to gold prices, like mats and wines, since it doubled the amount of DQ items people would NPC, which flooded the market with "free" coins for everyone.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited January 2010
    I am in agreement with about the 2x drops. People who farm HH and such for $$ get the raw end of the deal on this since is drastcially alters the market and prices go way down. And to have 2 weeks of 2x drops.....b:surrender People will have to farm twice as hard or find a new profit maker.

However, I can say that the 2x drops will greatly help people in farming. I for one would love the 2x drop rate just for Nirvana since the amount that drops is insanely low (I am kinda of selfish on this).

The 2x exp and Spirit is only good (imo) for the lower levels and alts b:cute

Although I must say, those who merchant to make coins can make maintain their "businesses" and be perfectly fine...maybe even make more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• La_Zorra - Sanctuary
    La_Zorra - Sanctuary Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    1. The forums are a place for discussion. Like all discussions in real life, everybody will have an opinion. Like all people in real life, some are coherent in the way they state their opinion, others are just asses.

2. The forum community compared to the actual game community is small. Why read through forums and treat them like we stand for the entire game? Sorry to say, we don't and never did, and never will do either.

3. Play the game to get an experience of the game. I'm about to sound mean, and I apologise, but common sense FTW. Forums =/= game by any stretch of the imagination.

4. People are pissed off with the company because, recently, the company has given them reason to be pissed off. Some people can actually form a good, well written post to express their anger, others QQ and then others just troll because they have the IQ of a rock and don't know how to not make themselves look stupid.

5. You're focusing on all the negatives. People on these forums are helpful, give insightful advice and have an overall generally pleasant demeanour. Maybe if you tried looking at the positives, you would feel better.

=)

Yes, you're quite right in the above statements.
    To all you New Players:
    Please do not judge all the players in this wonderful game, by a select few "trolls", who like to come into the forums and stir up trouble. Come to Sanctuary (I'm biased, lol, but there ARE a lot of really nice and helpful people in here), or try another PvE, to see how you like the game, and then judge for yourself based on real in-game play, and not based on some nonsense that the immature idiots in these forums are babbling. There are also people who post in here, who have good discussions.
    Just like in Real Life, you will find all kinds of people in the game, and I hope you give the PWI players a chance to show you how much fun this game can be! Good Luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Muchas gracias to Saitada for the siggy ~
  • Giodia - Heavens Tear
    Giodia - Heavens Tear Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Lastly, it seems like others like to shame their fellow players here. Someone could've have made a lot of mistakes withing a dungeon, and make things harder on you... but do they really deserved to be mocked? This is not preschool; last I checked. Do people really find the need to go out of the way to smash upon these underskilled players rather than teach them the error of their ways? How can I expect to learn my class... I feel like I'll be openly humiliated for even messing up once, should I even join a group. It makes me afraid to want to communicate with these other people in fear they'll just chastize me for the errors I make while still learning.

So is there any reason why I should not just cancel my download, and actually install this...? The community seems more like a thorny bush than a teddy bear giving out hugs to welcome new guys b:shocked

When you have told these 'players' not to snatch aggro from barb on numerous mobs in the dungeon, and they failed to listen, it's time to announce it to the general population.

This will make others aware of these 'players' so that they wouldn't die and lose exp because of some DD's failure to listen.
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Wait... there is a forum somewhere that is decent and I haven't trolled it? Oh great! Thanks for ruining my day! b:chuckle

~Saitada
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Let me know if I've missed anything:

1) You're complaining that some people just call other people names here, and then you say that some people here are asses and hypocrites. b:chuckle

2) You're complaining that a lot of people come here and whine and complain.

3) You're saying that people don't have the right to complain when the company does something that they see as wrong.

4) You're complaining that people come here and post things just to stir things up (troll).

5) And then you end it all by insulting everyone here.

.... uh... yeah... b:embarrass
  • HolyInferno - Sanctuary
    HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    welcome to a P2W mmo
    b:bye you were all swell peoples
  • Fuyukoneko - Heavens Tear
    Fuyukoneko - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    It's easier to notice the complainers because they stand out more. I assure you that I find a majority of the people I meet on the game are extremely sweet, and very willing to help. Don't get discouraged :P

Personally, I think the teamwork here is much stronger than many other games. b:chuckle
  • DeathBanana - Heavens Tear
    DeathBanana - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,674 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Ive looked around for a bit now, and noticed, there isnt much a community feeling on these forums... is this how people will be treated in game too? I'm currently downloading the client, but after looking here, I'm really second guessing whether this community is going to drive me away just off the incentive someone disagrees or dislikes what I say.

Most community-type stuff would probably be in the server-specific forums.

The first thing I noticed, was this strange reverence to those who... i guess, troll... is the term? Ones who generally post obscene and vulgar, or just plain asinine and nonsensical posts, are the ones who are respected most. Does this mean I must resort to degrading myself to make friends here?

Trolls are a sacred beast to these forums. Do not disturb them. Unless it's Saitada, but you'll probably be flamed to a crisp afterwards :)

I also noticed a great deal of hypocrisy among posts. Among the ones I've read thus far, there is one player in particular who is very outspoken in being an ****. I also made note, a number of other players do it as well, and they are either called an idiot, or agreed with, only to cause much strife among posts. I dont quite understand the motives behind this.

Read above.

Next on my list is the complaints, is the general populace just discontented as a whole? I read through quite a few of these kinds of posts where players would just whine and complain for the sake of noticing their own text. Who complains about a beneficial 2x drop/EXP event? Then these same people have the gall to insult the company, as if they're some horrible business practitioners who only want to line their wallets. According to many reviews I've gone over, this is one of the most well taken care of games in terms of quality and amount of bots/gold selling spammers.

If you're going to QQ, you're going to do it at the forums. Hence, lots of QQ. However, PWE has been making many blatantly profit-minded decisions lately.

Lastly, it seems like others like to shame their fellow players here. Someone could've have made a lot of mistakes withing a dungeon, and make things harder on you... but do they really deserved to be mocked? This is not preschool; last I checked. Do people really find the need to go out of the way to smash upon these underskilled players rather than teach them the error of their ways? How can I expect to learn my class... I feel like I'll be openly humiliated for even messing up once, should I even join a group. It makes me afraid to want to communicate with these other people in fear they'll just chastize me for the errors I make while still learning.

There are four kinds of people in this game. Stupid people, who will get mad when you do something wrong, Easily frusturated people (me), who will get mad when you do something wrong repeatedly and do not listen to advice, Patient internally-frusturated people, who will tell you repeatedly how you're doing something wrong and how you can do it better, who mean well but are generally annoying, and people who have not located the enter key on their keyboard.

No matter where you go, you will find people like this. Perfect World has it's oranges and lemons, as with any other MMO. My suggestion is to learn fast and learn well, so I won't ragequit on you b:victory

I like bagels. And purple.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

9x Demon Cleric
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2010
    Wait... there is a forum somewhere that is decent and I haven't trolled it? Oh great! Thanks for ruining my day! b:chuckle

~Saitada

b:sadb:cry I'll make it up to you, i promise...
  • Auldwulf - Dreamweaver
    Auldwulf - Dreamweaver Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    lvl100ea wrote: »
    QQ moar

Got that? Get used to it cause you'll be hearing it a LOT

This is one of the reasons new members feel un-welcome here, you have folks who like to brush their own egos with arrogant remarks like this to make themselves feel somehow more highbrowed, (or cover up their own insecurities and shortcomings).

Also, most new members DO NOT know all the abbreviations that are used here. Like: QQ....that might as well be Japanese to someone that doesn't know, you're wasting your time writing it.

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of immature people who post in this forum index, and subsequently, those people find it much easier to have a negitive impact on others, instead of a positive one.

Peace...
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    This is one of the reasons new members feel un-welcome here, you have folks who like to brush their own egos with arrogant remarks like this to make themselves feel somehow more highbrowed, (or cover up their own insecurities and shortcomings).

Also, most new members DO NOT know all the abbreviations that are used here. Like: QQ....that might as well be Japanese to someone that doesn't know, you're wasting your time writing it.

There seems to be an overwhelming amount of immature people who post in this forum index, and subsequently, those people find it much easier to have a negitive impact on others, instead of a positive one.

Peace...

You would be correct in some cases. Myself, I just hate stupid people and enjoy telling them how stupid they are. It's much like plucking the wings off flies. It is easy, and amuses me.

~S
  • Auldwulf - Dreamweaver
    Auldwulf - Dreamweaver Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Researching these forums can be a bit of a headach as well. Most guides and info that are available, are incomplete and vague at best. The search function is almost useless, and unless you have time to spare going through all this stuff, you'll be on your own for the most part.

Peace...