New and dont understand.

asdhajsdh
asdhajsdh Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2010 in General Discussion
Ive looked around for a bit now, and noticed, there isnt much a community feeling on these forums... is this how people will be treated in game too? I'm currently downloading the client, but after looking here, I'm really second guessing whether this community is going to drive me away just off the incentive someone disagrees or dislikes what I say.

The first thing I noticed, was this strange reverence to those who... i guess, troll... is the term? Ones who generally post obscene and vulgar, or just plain asinine and nonsensical posts, are the ones who are respected most. Does this mean I must resort to degrading myself to make friends here?

I also noticed a great deal of hypocrisy among posts. Among the ones I've read thus far, there is one player in particular who is very outspoken in being an ****. I also made note, a number of other players do it as well, and they are either called an idiot, or agreed with, only to cause much strife among posts. I dont quite understand the motives behind this.

Next on my list is the complaints, is the general populace just discontented as a whole? I read through quite a few of these kinds of posts where players would just whine and complain for the sake of noticing their own text. Who complains about a beneficial 2x drop/EXP event? Then these same people have the gall to insult the company, as if they're some horrible business practitioners who only want to line their wallets. According to many reviews I've gone over, this is one of the most well taken care of games in terms of quality and amount of bots/gold selling spammers.

Lastly, it seems like others like to shame their fellow players here. Someone could've have made a lot of mistakes withing a dungeon, and make things harder on you... but do they really deserved to be mocked? This is not preschool; last I checked. Do people really find the need to go out of the way to smash upon these underskilled players rather than teach them the error of their ways? How can I expect to learn my class... I feel like I'll be openly humiliated for even messing up once, should I even join a group. It makes me afraid to want to communicate with these other people in fear they'll just chastize me for the errors I make while still learning.

So is there any reason why I should not just cancel my download, and actually install this...? The community seems more like a thorny bush than a teddy bear giving out hugs to welcome new guys b:shocked
-Former 100 EP on Delphi, coming to try PWI :D
Post edited by asdhajsdh on

Comments

• eternalnab
    eternalnab Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    w/o forum drama u cannot play game no matter how old u are :P
  • Starchief - Sanctuary
    Starchief - Sanctuary Posts: 606 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    every thread is like a discussion in real life. People disagree, people agree. There's some who will argue even though they're wrong, some are just plain a$$holes. So really, unless you spend ALL day couped up in your room and have no idea what human interaction is, then you'll enjoy your stay at PWI. Cheersb:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Boozin - Sanctuary
    Boozin - Sanctuary Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    asdhajsdh wrote: »
    ... I feel like I'll be openly humiliated for even messing up once, should I even join a group. It makes me afraid to want to communicate with these other people in fear they'll just chastize me for the errors I make .....

Hate to say it, but with that part of OP's post I do agree... I have a 7x character on another server but for this exact reason I have been (at least thus far) only ever entering the solo instances for TT.... sure it may be faster etc to go in with a squad and get the drops that way, but it isn't even worth it if you consider the grief that would rain down if you make even one small misstep.

Face it, everyone at some point or another has made simple LITTLE mistakes but why some people feel that gives them a license to start degrading a squad member who is ultimately there so everyone can benefit is beyond me..

(and just FYI I'm not talking about anything close to a mistake that could cause a squad wipe so don't try an read into it)
    b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kristiona - Heavens Tear
    Kristiona - Heavens Tear Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    My take on this game is there are those that whine as you put it. I believe there are people like me that enjoy the game for what it is. The forums is probably the worse place to get a feeling for how people are in game cause I think more of the people that post are bored and like to stir up trouble. I play on Heavens Tear been playing for almost 2 years now. You have to take what people say on these boards with a grain of salt and formulate your own opinion once you get in the game.
  • SirLynxcelot - Heavens Tear
    SirLynxcelot - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I would let the download finish and then play for awhile to get a true sense of the game and community. I don't think I would let Horatio Hornblower stop me from even trying a character to see how I liked it.

Then again it's a bit like the Godfather for me lol "Every time I try to get out, they keep pullin' me back IN!!"
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    1) This is one of the more active communities in terms of games.

2) Seems like you are singling out all of the "bad" posts or posters, when there are numerous others that help and are constructive.

3) People QQ about this and QQ about that....this is a place to share opinions with each other. You will always find those bashing the company and then turn around and thank it. There is nothing you can so about someone's opinion.

4) If you have doubts just from reading a few short posts....I do not know what you will make of PWI only because it seems you have a negative look on it already before even giving it a chance. The forums hardly tap the surface in terms of those playing the game.

5) This post will insight flaming to no end and therefore...I would assume...might be closed sooner then alter. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • eternalnab
    eternalnab Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    1) This is one of the more active communities in terms of games.

2) Seems like you are singling out all of the "bad" posts or posters, when there are numerous others that help and are constructive.

3) People QQ about this and QQ about that....this is a place to share opinions with each other. You will always find those bashing the company and then turn around and thank it. There is nothing you can so about someone's opinion.

4) If you have doubts just from reading a few short posts....I do not know what you will make of PWI only because it seems you have a negative look on it already before even giving it a chance. The forums hardly tap the surface in terms of those playing the game.

5) This post will insight flaming to no end and therefore...I would assume...might be closed sooner then alter. b:surrender
    my online love b:kiss ^^
  • Gonff - Lost City
    Gonff - Lost City Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The main reason people act so bitter towards the company is because of all their recent doings. They introduced an "anniversary pack" which spit out tons of very hard weapons and armor to obtain the natural way. These were only supposed to be temporary but were kept in game to milk cash from the player base. They then started introducing more and more of stuff like this as well as oracles to quickly level by dumping rl cash into the game. I understand the company needs to make money since it's a free to play game but the community feels betrayed that all their hard work in this game can be matched easily by someone who has enough money to dump hundreds and hundreds of dollars to level their chars and buy equipment.

Other than that you'll find trolls and asses in any game like this. There's not really that big of a penalty when dying. Just buy a scroll and you can die without losing anything. In previous games i've played where you can search for players and you lose massive amounts of exp and levels when dieing the player base was pretty respectful. You won't find that here, but there are a lot of nice players that will help you out.

I do agree with you though that this game does seem to be pretty well taken care of. Botting doesn't seem to be a problem at all as well as gold trading since it's legal to buy gold using rl money anyways. Overall i'd say this is one of the best mmorpgs i've played even with it being a free to play one. The graphics and gameplay are really nice and you can have a lot of fun if you get yourself into a nice faction. Just pretty much ignore all the people that think they are so badass and you'll find a lot of nice players too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    The main reason people act so bitter towards the company is because of all their recent doings. They introduced an "anniversary pack" which spit out tons of very hard weapons and armor to obtain the natural way. These were only supposed to be temporary but were kept in game to milk cash from the player base. They then started introducing more and more of stuff like this as well as oracles to quickly level by dumping rl cash into the game. I understand the company needs to make money since it's a free to play game but the community feels betrayed that all their hard work in this game can be matched easily by someone who has enough money to dump hundreds and hundreds of dollars to level their chars and buy equipment.

Sorry and that's wrong how? Please explain it to me, i have trouble understanding your 'envy' for those who spend money....
    b:dirty
  • Dustinmurphy - Harshlands
    Dustinmurphy - Harshlands Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Some people are like this because they have nothing better to do then pop off at the mouth which then turns into flames and into a flaming war, The only way to stop it is to stop posting.
    But this is how forums are mostly because all of us are immature.b:bye
    If anniversary pack threads keep getting made I'll keep trolling them until there isn't anymore!b:bye
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    One can assume that not even half of the gaming population posts here. I'd say not even 1/3 do, but I don't know the exact figures. Therefore what you see is just a small portion of people who actually play the game.

There are also people who post on here who have been banned from the game etc... who no longer play and are here posting negative things to get new people like you to stay away. As long as they aren't breaking any forum rules, I suppose the company allows them to post.

Although I openly and outwardly speak against the obscene chat on Heaven's Tear I have found most people to be kind. You also have to remember that a lot of people who play this are also under age. Sometimes of course lacking the same maturity a 30 or 40 year old adult would have.

I have many characters and have been on these forums for well over a year. Tbh I have noticed the people who post from the Sanctuary server seem to be the nicest by far. With the exception of a few :) I think the server you choose will also ultimately determine your view of the "community" in a whole.

And last, please choose a server that is right for you. There is Pvp and Pve. If you choose pvp without being aware what it is, you will be one of the angry ppl who post here :)

Have fun, and good luck :)
    edited January 2010

There are also people who post on here who have been banned from the game etc... who no longer play and are here posting negative things to get new people like you to stay away. As long as they aren't breaking any forum rules, I suppose the company allows them to post.

Nope they still play there called a attention *****.b:bye
    If anniversary pack threads keep getting made I'll keep trolling them until there isn't anymore!b:bye
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Bang on I'm afraid, the pwi forum community is beyond a doubt pretty dreadful. For starters you'll need a pretty thick skin to settle in, there's a larger percentage of rude idiots than most mmo communities. Secondly, I wouldn't even stick on the forums for anything more than the odd questions, it has a habit of converting a innocent friendly individual into a lurking, grumpy forum troll who can only speak interwebz. (look at me b:surrender)

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CA......!!! O_O
  • lvl100ea
    lvl100ea Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    QQ moar

Got that? Get used to it cause you'll be hearing it a LOT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2010
    lvl100ea wrote: »
    QQ moar

Got that? Get used to it cause you'll be hearing it a LOT

More running sentences Dark Sniper, You need to learn what a period is at the end of a sentence.b:bye
  • Gonff - Lost City
    Gonff - Lost City Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Sorry and that's wrong how? Please explain it to me, i have trouble understanding your 'envy' for those who spend money....

I never said that I have envy. While I do agree PWI could have found a way to increase funds without making it possible to obtain end gear equipment and fast leveling, it doesn't bother me so much since i'm just playing for fun. I was just stating how the general community that's crying about it feels.

As to how it's wrong? I've never said it IS wrong. I understand the company needs to make money, but the point of mmorpgs is to invest time to buff your character and to take pride of what you've accomplished. Of course players would feel betrayed when some noob with a million dollar job in rl can accomplish the same as you in a fraction of the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • asdhajsdh
    edited January 2010
    Of course players would feel betrayed when some noob with a million dollar job in rl can accomplish the same as you in a fraction of the time.
    Like Bill Gates did with Windows :)? *Im gunna take your idea IBM and make my own huge company in a fraction of the time!!*
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Like Bill Gates did with Windows :)? *Im gunna take your idea IBM and make my own huge company in a fraction of the time!!*

I think he (Bill Gates) was very smart. Oracle leveling though isn't because you don't learn to play your character well, and are missing a lot of your spiritual cultivation for a long time. Gimping your character.

Each to their own though. I prefer to level the old fashioned way. It is more enjoyable for me.

~S
  • lvl100ea
    edited January 2010
    More running sentences Dark Sniper, you need to learn what a period is at the end of a sentence.

1. I'm not DarkSniper, he quit I think.

2. According to your statement I need to learn what a period is at the end of a sentence. That means I need to go to the end of a sentence, sit down, and study grammar. It should be worded as, from what I interpret as the meaning of your post, "You need to learn what a period is, and that it belongs at the end of a sentence."

Also, the Y should not be uppercase in "You", you does not begin a sentence in this situation nor is it a proper noun.

Don't try to lecture me about proper grammar when you can't even use it yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I never said that I have envy. While I do agree PWI could have found a way to increase funds without making it possible to obtain end gear equipment and fast leveling, it doesn't bother me so much since i'm just playing for fun. I was just stating how the general community that's crying about it feels.

As to how it's wrong? I've never said it IS wrong. I understand the company needs to make money, but the point of mmorpgs is to invest time to buff your character and to take pride of what you've accomplished. Of course players would feel betrayed when some noob with a million dollar job in rl can accomplish the same as you in a fraction of the time.

They could, but lets not get in to it. Cause what they did is sure money.
    And like you said play for fun, and half of the general community are QQers any way so they dont count.

Like you said, play for fun and the time you invest you wont regret, is the best advise you can give to someone. And again mostly QQers are the one feeling betrayed. ^_^

~sry if I sounded rude in previous post....
    b:dirty
    edited January 2010

2. According to your statement I need to learn what a period is at the end of a sentence. That means I need to go to the end of a sentence, sit down, and study grammar. It should be worded as, from what I interpret as the meaning of your post, "You need to learn what a period is, and that it belongs at the end of a sentence."

Also, the Y should not be uppercase in "You", you does not begin a sentence in this situation nor is it a proper noun.

Don't try to lecture me about proper grammar when you can't even use it yourself.

tl;dr lol think I care.b:bye
  • OneHottShot - Heavens Tear
    OneHottShot - Heavens Tear Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited January 2010

Actually You can be capital if its denotes a proper person. Kind of like the B in the name Brenda. But this isn't a grammar lesson, its a forum.. back on topic pls ?
  • lvl100ea
    edited January 2010
    tl;dr lol think I care.b:bye
    Obviously you do care if you took the time to check my post for any gramattical errors.

Back on topic.

At the OP, let me break down for you what you will be hearing in game and how much of it you will hear.

80% - Lol QQ moar

19.99% - BR

0.01% - Something you can understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver
    XanZerstorer - Dreamweaver Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Bang on I'm afraid, the pwi forum community is beyond a doubt pretty dreadful. For starters you'll need a pretty thick skin to settle in, there's a larger percentage of rude idiots than most mmo communities. Secondly, I wouldn't even stick on the forums for anything more than the odd questions, it has a habit of converting a innocent friendly individual into a lurking, grumpy forum troll who can only speak interwebz. (look at me b:surrender)

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CA......!!! O_O

I've seen worse, community-wise. Actually, I'd say I'm having less problems within this community than others I take part in.

- The more the people, the more the idiots.
    - PW has a lot of people. Therefore...
    - PW has a lot of idiots.

Trolls, asses and people who have no clue of what they're spewing exist. We're kinda stuck with them. And they normally have a very loud voice... The good thing with MMOs, forums, and online in general, is that there's nifty features called "Ignore user", "Mute", "Globally Mute", and most importantly, "Add to Blacklist".

Unless you want to see what they type for pure entertainment. 'Cause people like me get a kick on seeing how some people make themselves look completely useless and thrive off that...

EDIT: How to get rid of most of them in-game.
    A) Get a good faction and team up with them when you can;
    B) World Chat off;
    D) Blacklisting if you don't want to completely take WC off. Although BL feature doesn't have a ton of slots and boy, they get filled fast...
    C) Local chat off in Archosaur West District (you're not missing many good sales, trust me... anyways if you play on DW server).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Due to constant PMs: I'm not German, sorry folks D:
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    b:surrender
    asdhajsdh just ignore them.
    (X_x)'
    me can honestly say only a fraction of the population be represented here...(and it be inaccurately represented.)
    just have fun in game, find a good faction, and meet new people.
    d(^.-d)

me just come to the forums to have fun and help others who be willing to accept me help.
    (^.^)

also me would recommend playing in a PvE server me suppose. (at least at first)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • asdhajsdh
    edited January 2010
    2. According to your statement, I need to learn what a period is at the end of a sentence. That means I need to go to the end of a sentence, sit down, and study grammar. It should be worded as, from what I interpret, as the meaning of your post, "You need to learn what a period is, and that it belongs at the end of a sentence."

Also, the Y should not be uppercase in "You," you does not begin a sentence in this situation nor is it a proper noun.

Back on topic, it's very unsettling to see people resort to fighting about little garbage that has nothing to do with my thread. Can we not make an unsightly scene, and get back to giving your opinions without fighting?
    edited January 2010
    Obviously you do care if you took the time to check my post for any gramattical errors.

Back on topic.

At the OP, let me break down for you what you will be hearing in game and how much of it you will hear.

80% - Lol QQ moar

19.99% - BR

0.01% - Something you can understand.

naw I don't care because it's a forum I think you do though, keep off the forums your going to get banned again.b:bye
  • Boozin - Sanctuary
    Boozin - Sanctuary Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    Can we not make an unsightly scene, and get back to giving your opinions without fighting?

Sadly, I wouldn't hold my breath b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lvl100ea
    edited January 2010
    Well it's the PWI forums so......

No.

naw I don't care because it's a forum I think you do though, keep off the forums your going to get banned again.

Again, if you took the time to read and respond to my post you quite obviously do care.

Also, I've never been banned. At least not from the forums, got a 1 day ban for PKing in secret passage but never banned from the forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MagicHamsta - Lost City
    MagicHamsta - Lost City Posts: 10,466 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    just ignore those people....
    me has good news.
    (^.^)
    as mentioned before there be a blacklist feature in game which you can use.
    d(^.^)
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me. Aryannamage: I don't think I am a GM that would be new.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows.//Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope..
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
    Waiting for...Hamster Packs!
    58% chance to get tokens
    41% chance to get an all class pet hamster....but they has already been freed by the magic hamster.
    1% chance to get ban hamstered with the message "Hamsters United!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]