My answer to what's the best pet

Brael - Dreamweaver
Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
Well, I guess this is a good time to put it up since snowbloom is gone again either temporarily or permanently and we just got an expansion with some pets that can be tamed.

I'm pretty sure this is a 100% complete list of all pets venos can use. I gathered the list off of pwdatabase for pre rising tide pets (and then verified they existed, 3 that can be tamed and are listed as existing aren't in our version), and used the rising tide thread to get those pets. Pet skills were obtained from a combination of snowbloom and taming pets (with a little AH detective work, but there were 9 pets on this list I had to hand tame as neither the AH or snowbloom had them), growth stats were done for the most part by using the other pet spreadsheet. On stats I found to be wrong I went out, tamed the pet, and leveled it to make sure it was correct. Rising tide pet growth stats were entered by eyeballing growth charts, so those will have a few errors until more of that data is available.

Unlike creating this spreadsheet, it's very simple to use. In the top left of the data sheet (it's the first sheet, should open by default) you'll see two spaces for pet loyalty and pet level. Put in the level of pets you want to compare, and in loyalty put whatever loyalty amount you want. It's set to 501 by default (for 120% attack), so you can ignore that unless you plan to starve the pet. Right of those boxes you'll see some for physical and magic percent. Those are used for the mixed damage comparisons, incase you want to compare pets when they take 80% physical and 20% magic damage.

Below that stuff you'll see two lists of pets, the default sorting on them goes by type/family/level, feel free to change it. The left side lists pets without any skills being accounted for. This is to find a pets potential and will give you a good comparison of say a herc vs a walker without having to go through and add skills to the walker. On the right is the comparison of every pet using it's starting skills. This is so you can see how pets compare to eachother before you customize them.

The categories are physical tanking, this is it's hp/damage it takes, for example if something had 2000 hp and took 14% of damage (86% damage reduction) it's score would be 2000/.14 or 14285.71. Magic works the same way but with magic resist. Mixed takes physical/magic scores, and multiplies them by the amount of each they take (explained above). Finally, dps is how much damage the pet deals per second. This takes damage lost to cast skills into account as well as skill refresh times, however it doesn't account for pierce or howl, and flesh ream is assumed to go full duration without the level based damage reduction it's subject to in pve.

Also, if you look in the raw stats or more accurately, the real stats (the 7th sheet) you'll likely notice that stats are off by a small amount. This is because there's some stats that seem fairly arbitrary that are placed on pets as base stats. Short of taming and recording the stats of every pet in the game (AH listed stats are off) there's no way to account for that but the stats are close enough. A 78 Crystaline Magmite for example is calculated to 2483 hp while it actually has 2544 hp. Attack is off as well, due to a different reason. The formula isn't entirely known. This shouldn't be too much of an issue though when simply comparing one pet to another, as almost all pets are calculated within 2% of their attack scores, and nothing has been off by over 5% yet.

Other than those notes, enjoy. Here's the spreadsheet:
ODS format
XLS format
Edit: Already found an error, Icicle wasn't calculated right, updated.
Post edited by Brael - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• rinuruc
    rinuruc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    could you put it in a txt too? coz i cant open this,... (or pdf)
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Grab a copy of Open Office for an Excel clone. It should let you open either file (ODS preferred).

http://www.openoffice.org/
  • Zoey_nl - Heavens Tear
    Zoey_nl - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Thanks!! b:victory
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    Reivi - Sanctuary Posts: 742 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    great work Brael ...

but i do get many errors when sorting (errors with formulas based on other stats ??? )
    I look at all the trollers, and Pvpers.. and know they wouldnt have lasted 30sec on Camelot.

Rules= Know your enemy (players and NPCs) gives you more chances to survive.
  • rinuruc
    edited December 2009
    Grab a copy of Open Office for an Excel clone. It should let you open either file (ODS preferred).

http://www.openoffice.org/

its just a copy all and paste to a txt,... s not much work for anyone,... n s much more convenient for me,... (i dislike microsoft)
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    rinuruc wrote: »
    its just a copy all and paste to a txt,... s not much work for anyone,... n s much more convenient for me,... (i dislike microsoft)
    it has like 10 worksheets, also i dont use microsoft office but you can open it with google docs
  • rinuruc
    edited December 2009
    is it possible to make some other worksheet for it, so u only got to put in what pet u take (out of the list), and what skills at what level,... to compare the dps etc,... ???
    (so like if i wnna compare scorpion with level five bash/sandblow/fireball/lightning, vs scorpion with level five bash/fireball/sandblow/claw vs scorp with level five bash/fireball/pounce/claw vs scorp with level five bash/fireball/sandblow/pounce etc etc etc,... (and than vs some other pets and so on,... so to see what the effect of theyr attackspeed is,... coz scorpion having higher phys atk, but only 0.6 attacks per second vs like ebony hellduke who also has a six on attack stat, but 0.8 hits per second,... if u put em with four attackskills cyclin, or with 3skills and claw on,... or with claw n pounce n two skills,... what compares how etc,... coz atm its somewhat chaotic to know where to change what number if i wnna compare the whole thing,... ;-) )
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    great work Brael ...

but i do get many errors when sorting (errors with formulas based on other stats ??? )

Ya, I'll update it to break less soon. It works for now but it's a bit of a hassle. When I've had to fix it I've found going back to type/family/level sort (the one all the other sheets are on) and then fixing the formulas. If you take a look at them they'll start off checking cells like B400 and stuff, when it should be checking rows 6 and 2 (depending on the sheet it's referencing). Part of fixing it will be to add some filters since they're more friendly and work better than sort. With the way it's set up right now though it's not getting along with them. I've also found a way to get attack more accurate by changing B1 on the attack table from .2 to .196. It's still not perfect, but it's much closer and pretty much makes the amount attack is off by subject only to increasing tame levels on pets. So it's getting much better.
    could you put it in a txt too? coz i cant open this,... (or pdf)

No. Text files don't support updating cells the way spreadsheets do. Placing it in a text file would allow me to give you the output at one specific level only, and it wouldn't look all that nice (and there's 42000 possible outputs... 105 levels, 100 physical/magic combinations, 4 loyalty based modifiers). If you need spreadsheet software, Open Office contains a free spreadsheet program named Calc. Google has one as well.
    is it possible to make some other worksheet for it, so u only got to put in what pet u take (out of the list), and what skills at what level,... to compare the dps etc,... ???
    (so like if i wnna compare scorpion with level five bash/sandblow/fireball/lightning, vs scorpion with level five bash/fireball/sandblow/claw vs scorp with level five bash/fireball/pounce/claw vs scorp with level five bash/fireball/sandblow/pounce etc etc etc,... (and than vs some other pets and so on,... so to see what the effect of theyr attackspeed is,... coz scorpion having higher phys atk, but only 0.6 attacks per second vs like ebony hellduke who also has a six on attack stat, but 0.8 hits per second,... if u put em with four attackskills cyclin, or with 3skills and claw on,... or with claw n pounce n two skills,... what compares how etc,... coz atm its somewhat chaotic to know where to change what number if i wnna compare the whole thing,... ;-) )

Change the raw stats, or add them to the list. Though I don't recommend either if you don't know spreadsheets very well. The other alternative with the way it's set up is to do it by hand. I do have one I made months ago where you enter two pets stats and their skills, and it gives you a comparison of their damage output against eachother during a fight for every tenth of a second. That's similar to what you're looking for, but it was made before we figured out skill cast times and their effect on melee, though it does take into account one thing this sheet won't, and that's the distance from the target along with the pets attack distance and speed. If you want that sheet you can get it here (use 300 for FR, 200 for Bashes, 375 for Pounce assuming they're max level, adjust attack manually to account for claw... pounce and fr will get treated like instant attacks because of how I set it up). I would suggest though, that you only use it to play around with seeing what skill setups provide optimal damage and use this other sheet, looking at the unskilled side of things to see what pet would do best with what skills.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Numbers and stats are nice, but sometimes don't apply to the actual game and newcomers won't have a great idea of what is most useful. -(I wanna know what Brael has in her pet bag and possibly why)
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Numbers are accurate, as long as everything is accounted for. That sheet leaves out attack range, mainly because I don't know the range for melee pets and don't want to simply list 3 and although I should have the data, I honestly haven't put any time into thinking about pet speed. Those are important factors to consider when it comes to a pulling pet or a range tanking pet.

As for what's in my bag, with me at 96:
    96 herc - Best tank.

96 QQ Bird (nix) - Best dps when it can be used... the public quest has added a lot more usefulness to it. For a long time I was rather annoyed with just how little good content there was for a nix. But now, I'm virtually guaranteed top spot every time, the only person that can beat me is an archer that's 3 levels higher with a +11 lunar weapon... we earn points at the same rate.

82 Crystaline Magmite - Was there for a physical tank when it could take the hits since aggro is better than a herc. I never got it up to my level though. I'm going to replace this with a glacial walker.

96 Eldergoth Marksman - Best range tank. Also doubles as an excellent puller.

85 Asgard Plumpfish - I don't kill in the water enough to warrant leveling the celestial. I'm strongly considering using a Riptide Tortise (or another level 5 turtle) instead as it makes a much better pet dps and tanking wise.

78 Pollen Scorpion - Best land dps. There's a good chance I'll replace it before it's caught up to my level. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it first. I have some skills bought for it, but they aren't on it yet. A seamonster guardian, dark wanderer, or recycling my magmite all work out to being very close damage wise but with a good deal more survival. On that thought, a second glacial walker is possible as well, though it would require sacrificing slightly more damage.

83 Armored Bear - Not currently in my bag, it was removed for examining pets. I took it out since I needed a space and almost never use it. It's there for pulling but I just use the marksman usually.

91 Ethereal Inamorto - Also not in my bag, it's sitting in my bank until I get around to giving the pet trainer even more money to switch my bag around. It's a better puller than the marksman honestly, and it would destroy the snowman event.

That leaves me with two more slots, assuming I get myself a mount at some point I've got room for one more pet. I briefly considered a Glacial Maiden/Mistress because it's even faster than a Kowlin, and just further proves what a waste of a pet bag spot a Kowlin is but then I realized I already have three better pullers. I have no clue what to use my final pet slot on, all I can come up with is a second herc and even that would really just replace another pet in the bag.
  • Mitties - Dreamweaver
    Mitties - Dreamweaver Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I can't download the file, I keep getting an "invalid or deleted file" error. Can I please get a copy of this file? Because from what I've seen it's asically the answer to all my questions.
    [Insert pithy quote here.]
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I miss Brael. She was brilliant and under-appreciated. The file was before the new tideborn pets and most of the data was meaningless when it came to wanting the best, and some of the best have been replaced or have alternatives. The data is in the forum if you can wade through the incredible amount of troll posts.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Jennalicious - Sanctuary
    Jennalicious - Sanctuary Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Necro Alert!b:shocked
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Invalid or Deleted File
    The key you provided for file download was invalid. This is usually caused because the file is no longer stored on Mediafire. This occurs when the file is removed by the originating user or Mediafire. If you believe you have reached this page in error, please contact support.
    Click here to view our help resources
    This is what I get when opening those links and watch out for the pop up.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear
    _Surreal_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,458 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    where did brael go? i miss the good info brael had b:cry
    TheEmpire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    where did brael go? i miss the good info brael had b:cry

Did we lose a MVP Venomancer ? b:sad b:cry
    Her last post in these thread was a year ago . . b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • rinuruc
    edited June 2010
    anyone still have that spreadsheet? and is able to upload it again somewhere??? coz my laptop crashed a while ago, and dont have that spreadsheet anymore now
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    There is no best pets. best pet is that pet u like and use alot and for loonng time.

those best pet i have had/got..that i feel is "MY best pet" is

i like wolves at 20, kitty, sawfly,kowlin,armored bear. only those pet i feel that i like..never loved GW or DW D: but many peps use em!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • rinuruc
    edited June 2010
    rinuruc wrote: »
    anyone still have that spreadsheet? and is able to upload it again somewhere??? coz my laptop crashed a while ago, and dont have that spreadsheet anymore now

its a slight necro, but i just want that spreadsheet,... someone has to have it still saved on theyr pc or so,... only reply to this and dont reply on questions asked before that,... ;-)
    (otherwise id just opend a new topic to ask this question alone, so that id get that spreadsheet without others replying to questions that were asked half a year ago)
  • rinuruc
    edited June 2010
    anyone have this file still saved on pc or so??? (the upload doesnt exist anymore, and my pc crashed last month n formatted harddrive, and i two days ago started playing again, n dont have that file anymore)
  • rinuruc
    edited June 2010
    it sux to keep bumping it,... but i kinda feel like i have no choice,... :S
  • idekan
    idekan Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    omg sooo hard....all i want is a simple answer, ive search forum after forum, thread after thread....

for gods sake, what are the coordinates for "Seamonster Guardian"...... ive flown all over PWI, search thread after thread, keep wondering why the ****'s name is always displayed in bold red, and wondering how ppl suggest to other venos to get this pet without telling them where to go capture it.

location is just as important as telling us how good it is

where is this almighty elusive creature...

please, just the coordinates is all i need.
  • MANray_ - Sanctuary
    MANray_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,311 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Not that this threat doesn't deserve the ocasional bump, it really is good work, but you really shouldn't necro simply because you're too impatient to actually use the game's many resources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPYese-Hl8M

There. Now go pester your mom...
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2010
    Look here to find out you need to look for an Ebony Hellduke.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga