Magmite powers

Nocticula - Harshlands
Nocticula - Harshlands Posts: 46 Arc User
edited December 2009 in Venomancer
I went to Mrs. Zoologist and seen all the scrolls. Which are best for a lvl 50 Magmite? I also got a Tame book to up the level from Bash 2 to 3 but it's still shows lvl 1 in the pet icon box, once pet is activated. Is this correct?
[sigpic] [/sigpic]

Something Something Something DarkSide
Post edited by Nocticula - Harshlands on

Comments

• Haruspex - Dreamweaver
    Haruspex - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    You have to use the tame book at Mrs. Zoologist. On the list of options when you talk to her, there's one for learning/upgrading pet skills. Just have the book in your inventory when you click that.

As for the skills for a magmite, go with Bash and max it (when your mag is 80 you can max bash, lv5).
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Imho, it's a waste of coin to invest in magmites unless you plan to squad a lot in fb79 as the main tanker.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • PequetteV - Lost City
    PequetteV - Lost City Posts: 1,202 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    Imho, it's a waste of coin to invest in magmites unless you plan to squad a lot in fb79 as the main tanker.

why is it a "waste"? if u dont have money for hercule u better get magmite .. it the best land tank pet after herc...
    genesis (r.i.p.) ===> conqueror (r.i.p.) ===> zen (r.i.p.) ===> iam (r.i.p.) ===> guardianz (r.i.p.) ===> spectral ===> essence
    starting to be a nice guild hoppers b:surrender

go on my website it contains lots useful informations about PWI

[noparse]http://pequette.comuf.com[/noparse]
  • tweakz
    edited December 2009
    why is it a "waste"? if u dont have money for hercule u better get magmite .. it the best land tank pet after herc...

Magmite doesn't even come close to Herc, and it's far from the best land tank pet. There are qingfus, ranged pets, beetles, bears, etc. I have no room for a worthless magmite in my pet bag, and my pet bag is maxed. Spend coin on skills for Magmite = lost coins toward Herc which comes with maxed skills worth every coin.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    WaffleChan - Sanctuary Posts: 2,897 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    all which have poor attack stats. most magic mobs melee when you get up close, relatively few are mixed or pure, thus a magmite with its superior offensive compared to most pets makes a wonderful land tank.

if you wish to invest in one, up its tough, bash, and possibly add flesh ream or an elemental bash. threaten, in some cases: roar, as well as howl make great additions as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    advice to fledgling archers:
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    A herc does indeed (eventually) invalidate the existence of a magmite.

But it's also now completely out of the reach of your average non-cash-shop veno.

Although... you will regret making a magmite your main pet when you're in BH59 every day.

Still. Grabbing an elemental bash in the auction house (should be less than 100k) and levelling up the existing bash should be enough that your pet won't lose aggro. Which is nice.

And yes - you have to actually USE the scrolls at the zoologist.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Buy a tame book from zoologist for 200k. Summon the pet. Pick the skill you want to level up. Tame books increase a skill level by one. Skill books only let you train level one. As for what skill to use besides Bash, I feel it depends. I'm a fan of toxic mist for an elemental bash. At the same time though, there's an argument to be made in cost effectiveness. You can usually pick up an ele bash in the AH for 50-100k (certainly not the 200k the zoologist charges), but the forget tome is 100k from her, and then tame books to get the skill back up to old levels. At best you would be looking at 150k to turn sandblow 1 into toxic mist 1 and I'm not sure that's a good use of money on a magmite, especially right now when the expansion is coming out and you'll be replacing your magmite with a better model anyways. On top of that, pets such as a shadou cub become more desireable than a magmite when the amount of physical damage starts dropping from 100% on lower level mobs, to mobs doing say 60% of their damage through physical and 40% through magic.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Oh, I certainly wouldn't remove sandblow. In fact I levelled it up.

But you've got at least one (and depending on magmite, two) unused slot on your pet to fill with toxic mist (or lightning, or fleshream or tough or threaten or whatever you like, really)

Mine got 'Howl'. Which was probably a bad idea.
  • tweakz
    edited December 2009
    A herc does indeed (eventually) invalidate the existence of a magmite.

But it's also now completely out of the reach of your average non-cash-shop veno.

Then so is end-game. Skills and equips cost me much more. I'm a non-cash shop veno btw.
    all which have poor attack stats. most magic mobs melee when you get up close, relatively few are mixed or pure, thus a magmite with its superior offensive compared to most pets makes a wonderful land tank.

If you want atk, go for Scorpion. There are many mobs that mix magic with melee (didn't you say before that none did while you were well past L80? -actually play the game much?) If you're 1-1, almost any pet will do. If you're not 1-1: mdef comes into play on mag mobs. If you want a boss tanker the magmite isn't going to go far, while an Eldergoth Marksman or Sharpshooter can tank bosses at same level that a Herc can't as well as often putting you outside of range of AoE and sometimes avoiding close range AoE.
  • Reivi - Sanctuary
    Reivi - Sanctuary Posts: 742 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    If you want a boss tanker the magmite isn't going to go far, while an Eldergoth Marksman or Sharpshooter can tank bosses at same level that a Herc can't as well as often putting you outside of range of AoE and sometimes avoiding close range AoE.

Same old song tweakz.. sometimes its good to change the disk unless you want it scratched.

but you still havent showed proff of the effectivnes of your "wonderfull cough cough" eldergoth against WB
    I look at all the trollers, and Pvpers.. and know they wouldnt have lasted 30sec on Camelot.

Rules= Know your enemy (players and NPCs) gives you more chances to survive.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    He's soloed Alphaeus with it. I would say that's proof.

I've soloed blackhole with mine recently. That's not to say I can't do that using a herc, since I can. It's faster/easier with the marksman though.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Then so is end-game. Skills and equips cost me much more. I'm a non-cash shop veno btw.

Being able to buy end-game before, say, level 90 - yes, that's out of players reach.

you're saying "Save up for the herc" but I'm seeing 100m needed and saying "Yeah, like HOW?"

Yes, you'll get 100m eventually. But as you just pointed out, you'll need to be spending it on gear and skills as you go along.

When Hercs were under 10m you had a point that it was probably worth holding out for one. Now I think that no, you pretty much can't.
    tweakz wrote:
    If you want atk, go for Scorpion. There are many mobs that mix magic with melee (didn't you say before that none did while you were well past L80? -actually play the game much?)

Actually, my recollection was defending the existence of magic-only mobs. Other people were saying that every normal mob that casts will resort to melee. (Where yes, most do)
    Edit: Oh, right, that bit wasn't aimed at me. Gotcha.

There are some magic-mixing bosses. Not many, but some. Drummer, quanji, drake, pyro...
    Of those, a magmite is good enough on quanji and drake. (A cleric is better, of course) I'll grant you the other two.

The last bosses in 69 aren't herc tankable yet. I'm told polearm might never be. I'm waiting to see what 79 is like (every time I've been in so far we've had a proper tank) - but seems that a magmite does ok there too.

I don't understand by what you mean "If you're 1-1"

I do grant you the eldergolth as having special uses. I know I ought to get around to levelling it up.
    I don't grant that it's anywhere near as survivable as a magmite, which can cope with normal grinding much better.

This may, as you say, change when I hit level 80. But then, like you, I'm one of the lucky ones that got a herc before the prices went insane.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Same. I've only spent $10 on the game and have herc + phoenix. If people took the time they spend complaining about not being able to afford a herc, and used it trying out different ways to make money, a lot more of them would be able to afford a herc.
    If you want atk, go for Scorpion. There are many mobs that mix magic with melee (didn't you say before that none did while you were well past L80? -actually play the game much?)
    For secondary damage (i.e. someone else is tanking), either the scorp or magmite will do. The magmite is only 3% less damage. Most other pets are 10%-20% less. The magmite will work better on physical AOE bosses, the scorp is better against magical AOE bosses.
    I've soloed blackhole with mine recently. That's not to say I can't do that using a herc, since I can. It's faster/easier with the marksman though.
    I don't PvP so I put Strong on my phoenix. It chews through those annoying "herc-only" outdoor bosses with a ton of hp real quick.
    Amp + Ironwood + extreme poison = over 5k per hit at 87.
    Amp + armor break + extreme poison = over 7k per hit at 87. b:victory
    you're saying "Save up for the herc" but I'm seeing 100m needed and saying "Yeah, like HOW?"
    Gold price was about 340k on Dreamweaver when I checked a few days ago. So that's 63 mil, not 100 mil for a herc.
    When Hercs were under 10m you had a point that it was probably worth holding out for one. Now I think that no, you pretty much can't.
    Hercs were never under 10 mil. The lowest was one weekend with a pet pack sale when gold was around 120k (which quickly shot up to over 180k). That was about 13.5 mil. Without a sale, most hercs were around 19-24 mil in the early days.

While 24 mil vs. 63 mil sounds bad, the price of gold reflects how much coin is in the economy. So on average the difficulty of getting a herc is the same now as it was then. Of course the problem is the game has very few average players. There's a poor lower class which can't save money, and a rich upper class which has oodles of money. You need to figure out a way to get yourself out of the lower class and into the upper class.
    There are some magic-mixing bosses. Not many, but some. Drummer, quanji, drake, pyro...
    Nearly everything at higher level mixes in a magic attack with its melee. The exceptions mix in a phyiscal AOE. So plan ahead for it. I can only think of a couple high-end bosses I've seen so far which are melee-only.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Not gonna argue about most of that - except to disagree with the relative ease of getting into that "I've got six billion sat in my catshop" class.
    Nearly everything at higher level mixes in a magic attack with its melee. The exceptions mix in a physical AOE. So plan ahead for it. I can only think of a couple high-end bosses I've seen so far which are melee-only.

And yes, not gonna dispute that this changes later. From what I've seen and heard of the later bosses, yes it does.

But 80 and below? Not a great deal of magic. A physical-only tank can go a long way (and its huge hitpoints carry it some way on the magic - I mean... hercule trioc may be magic only, but he's also a wimp)
  • tweakz
    edited December 2009
    Why spend ~4m in skills on a magmite when the levels it's useful on come daily regardless of pet? I'd buy something with the 4m and sell it for 6m. -Rinse, repeat.

Also, price of bulk items like PF/SoF are much cheaper if you buy through Kitty shop! Give yourself a price ~20% below what you've seen and be amazed how fast people are willing to sell for that price.

Other than that, follow Solandri's post. ;-)

Some pets below 80 worth having after 80 (even when you have legendarys) are the Lv2 Scorpion, Eldergoth Marksman or Sharpshooter. I'm currently raising a Lunar Lupin but think it would be good too.
  • kenlee
    kenlee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    Of those, a magmite is good enough on quanji and drake. (A cleric is better, of course) I'll grant you the other two.
    magmite cant even tank those bosses at the lvl that marksman can do it
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    (didn't you say before that none did while you were well past L80?
    outside of FB79 mobs/a few bosses, no, i dont recall any that do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Going sage is like drunken sex, at first she may look good, but when you wake up the next morning; you'll look at her and go WHAT HAVE I DONE.
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Being able to buy end-game before, say, level 90 - yes, that's out of players reach.

Yes, you'll get 100m eventually. But as you just pointed out, you'll need to be spending it on gear and skills as you go along.

A friend of mine saved up for a herc on DW while gold was about 320k. He did this at level 40. It took him something between a week and 10 days to get most of what he needed. I loaned him the remaining 12 million he was short to take advantage of a pet pack sale (which gold jumped to 360k for, I covered 64 packs/~17% of it for him). By 50 he not only had the herc, but had paid me back. The coin is out there to be made, and anyone regardless of class/level has about the same earnings ability, it's just a matter of taking advantage of the market at any given time.
  • axt57
    axt57 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    He got 83% of a herc in a week without cash shopping with gold at 320k at lvl40 on one of the new servers?

Of course he did.

In fact he sounds suspiciously like my friend; who happened to get all the mats needed for a warsoul at lvl33 in 5 days, with gold being 600k due to anni pack sale. I had to loan him a few hundred million and about 9001 mysterious chip boxes because his parents kicked him out after they found their credit card was maxed, but its ok - he returned most of it by lvl35. The coin is out there to be made, and anyone regardless of class/level has about the same earnings ability, it's just a matter of taking advantage of the c̶a̶s̶h̶s̶h̶o̶p̶ market at any given time.

Oh did I mention he also has the rep required for Rank 8 at lvl38, and enough Oracles to warrant a concern of causing a singularity in his inventory and crashing the server?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Funny, but wrong. He never once used the CS, he played around with the AH, found a market people didn't touch, and made a fortune, on the order of ~51 mil in 7-10 days. All through the AH and a catshop. I think he started with something like 130k for seed money.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    that really doesnt sound very believable :| i mean, i did get my herc in 2 weeks farming 18 hours a day on deepforest hermits/anthracite, but youre not giving any details.

being vague and ambigious sounds like lies
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Well, some stuff I'm going to remain vague on since I do it to make money now. Other things where the market is gone at this point would buying 2*/3* and selling chi stones/mirage, working the buy/sell stuff with ts mats (he used the ones for subs), rare tames, making sure to watch for good prices in the AH, and location. It really comes down to just finding inefficiencies in the system and using them to your advantage.

At one point (after he had his herc... why stop making money?) we actually tested chi sales at several locations, using his for the baseline, and moving two catshops run by me around to measure sales, remaining in a spot for two days at a time. It was interesting, seeing how sales volumes were different in different cities and even different parts of arch.
  • Nhirvanah - Sanctuary
    Nhirvanah - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    lol...you guys dont watch the stats? herc maybe the best tank but patk def tank-magmite comes in secondb:dirty
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    edited December 2009
    Fourth, not second. You forgot about a phoenix and the new magmite in a few hours.
    edited December 2009
    axt57 wrote: »
    He got 83% of a herc in a week without cash shopping with gold at 320k at lvl40 on one of the new servers?

Of course he did.
    It's very possible. Every time I look through AH, it pains me that I have to flip past so many pages of listings simply because I don't have the time to check everything to see if it's a good deal. It takes me a good 10-15 minutes just to go through all the TT mats listings for the items to stock my shop. I wish I could look through the other listings, but I simply don't have the time.

I've made money (usually lots of money) off of just about every category of things which are sold in AH. All it takes is some patience to learn the market prices of the items you're interested in selling. They you buy up whatever you see being sold low, and sell it at its real market price.
    that really doesnt sound very believable :| i mean, i did get my herc in 2 weeks farming 18 hours a day on deepforest hermits/anthracite, but youre not giving any details.

being vague and ambigious sounds like lies
    Sigh, there always seem to be a bunch of doubters who are never satisfied unless you give specifics. The problem with giving specifics in a market economy is that once everyone knows, they all try to do it themselves. They end up flooding the market and the price stabilizes at a point where there's almost no profit.

Fine, you want specifics, here's exactly what I did with AH during the anniversary pack event. From the Jolly Jones event, everyone know that citrines were the best seller. So not surprisingly everyone and their brother was selling flawless citrines made from luck tokens. If you bought tokens at the market price of 15k, that corresponded to a 210k cost per flawless citrine. But because so many people were selling citrines on AH, the usual sell price was 225k-240k. After AH fees, that left you 4k-18k profit per citrine (2%-8.5% margin). It was a lousy business which I didn't touch.

People were so focused on citrines that the garnet and sapphire market were virtually untouched. Garnets cost 210k to make. They typically sold on AH at anywhere from 275k-295k. After AH fees that gave you a 51k-70k profit (24%-33% margin). Yeah you didn't sell as many as you could citrines, but with a margin that big, who cares. I pushed through about 10-20 garnets a day on AH, for about 600k - 1.2 mil in profit a day.

Sapphires were even more obscene. It seems most people buying on AH didn't realize they took fewer tokens to make - 135k. Typical AH price was 245k, or 98k profit (73% margin). Occasionally the lowest AH listing would even be 275k-295k, but I never went higher than 245k because that was already an obscene amount of profit. These were the slowest sellers, but I always managed to push through 4-8 a day. So another 400k-800k.

All this took about 5 minutes of work twice a day. If I happened to be online and saw I got mail, I'd check to see if a flawless shard sold and replaced the listing. Despite bringing in 1-2 mil a day, that's about all the time I felt was worth devoting to this because the profits from my cat shop were even bigger. On the order of 3-5 million a day. And no I won't tell you what I sold on it.

There are lots of opportunities to make money out there. You just have to search for them. If you think I'm lying, or are so skeptical that you never try, well that's your loss. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so long as it only affects themself. Just don't go making posts which discourage other people from ever trying in the first place.
  • ewingoil
    ewingoil Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2009
    I usually agree with tweakz on most points on this but it is the time invested in lvling up a Mag.I would say it is worth keeping and if needed lvling or adding 1 or 2 skill is would be worth it.

I have decided to keep mine as backup for herc.I did have an eldergroth marksman still got the egg.I didn't spend the time lvling it up as I did the Mag.

Then there is the third option and use the mag as a disposable pet and the next higher lvl Mag as they do go up to 80.
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Sigh, there always seem to be a bunch of doubters who are never satisfied unless you give specifics. The problem with giving specifics in a market economy is that once everyone knows, they all try to do it themselves.
    true, but its also like saying 'i have a level 100 character on another account.'baseless bragging is really all it sounds likesometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009
    Sigh, there always seem to be a bunch of doubters who are never satisfied unless you give specifics. The problem with giving specifics in a market economy is that once everyone knows, they all try to do it themselves.
    true, but its also like saying 'i have a level 100 character on another account.'baseless bragging is really all it sounds likesometimes.

back when i had the goal of getting my herc, 22 m seemed like a ridiculous price for a level 19 veno dreaming big. at the time, DQ 71 and 81 was fairly popular for some reason. as were ult sub materials. after some experimentation, (since i didnt have the time to cat shop) i found an ideal mixture of mat/monster dropping location. east of the wraith gate is a lovely penninsula with towerlings and hermits, with 3 mat spawns within inches of each other.

being a veno, of course these were easy kills, and as golem killed hermits, i dug mats, got a couple hundred DQ and anthracite a day, made bank.

now i capitolize on a different mat/DQ market, only NPCing them now because they sell for 4k+ a piece haha. its almost 500k an hour per grind session :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WaffleChan - Sanctuary
    edited December 2009

back when i had the goal of getting my herc, 22 m seemed like a ridiculous price for a level 19 veno dreaming big. at the time, DQ 71 and 81 was fairly popular for some reason. as were ult sub materials. after some experimentation, (since i didnt have the time to cat shop) i found an ideal mixture of mat/monster dropping location. east of the wraith gate is a lovely penninsula with towerlings and hermits, with 3 mat spawns within inches of each other.

being a veno, of course these were easy kills, and as golem killed hermits, i dug mats, got a couple hundred DQ and anthracite a day, made bank.

now i capitolize on a different mat/DQ market, only NPCing them now because they sell for 4k+ a piece haha. its almost 500k an hour per grind session :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2009
    Server burp, double post.