Taking Charge

Options
LongWushi - Heavens Tear
LongWushi - Heavens Tear Posts: 138 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Cleric
Since we keep having the funny and nasty threads popping up on squad members using us or popping off at us, I will post just the opposite.

I play a L97 Venomancer as my main and I expect the people I squad with to know how to play their classes in an at least competent manner. That said, when it appears that the people in my squad lack this ability, I let them know it. Of course, I also forewarn my squad that my play style is FAC but I will heal them. I also tell them that if they aren't going to hold agro on a group they have taken, I will not heal them. They can die and I will be alive. I had a squad member leave because I told them that.

1. If you agro something but do not ensure that you are holding agro (i.e. use an AoE skill to grab agro), then you go without heals.

2. If you agro something and wait till the last 10% of your HP to grab agro on a set of mobs, it's not my fault you didn't hold it faster.

b:pleased So, here's my story. I was in my BH59 for Qianji and the barb rushes into the first part while the two roamers are there. The barb has just agroed four-five mobs. He does not hold agro on all of them. He dies. He starts blaming me for his death, which I died too because I did foolishly try to save his furry bum. That backfired badly. I tore him a new one then. The squad was surprised. b:victory I was happy. I got to bring one of my L90+ Wizard friends to come tank for us.

We have the power! Take charge of the situation. If you're a good cleric and you work hard to keep your squad alive, they won't replace you. If they try to use that card on you then you can leave or tell them that the cleric they get might be a nub that doesn't know what they're doing.

Coolest thing ever. Doing my Chrono Culti, I needed Linus and there was a group doing BH79 in my main's faction, so they let me come on my cleric. A L99 Sage Cleric was the only one in the instance with me. It was a wined instance since we only had one tank, a BM. Everyone else was a Cleric. We cleared up to Stygean and I jokingly suggested she try tanking Stygean. b:shocked Holy ****! She pulled Stygean and really tanked it. There were a few scary moments though. Then the other two clerics showed up and helped keep her HP up. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen a cleric do. Stygean is a tough boss on squishy classes.
Post edited by LongWushi - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Thankyou for this. only once had someone say something bad about my cleric, when in an instance the tank was going to fast and died. but ultimately the whole squad said it was his fault not mine. but it's true if someone doesn't like you as a cleric. just leave, enough other squads need clerics, that its not hard to find a new squad, and they will have lost more then you.
  • Chobsi - Heavens Tear
    Chobsi - Heavens Tear Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    Since we keep having the funny and nasty threads popping up on squad members using us or popping off at us, I will post just the opposite.

I play a L97 Venomancer as my main and I expect the people I squad with to know how to play their classes in an at least competent manner. That said, when it appears that the people in my squad lack this ability, I let them know it. Of course, I also forewarn my squad that my play style is FAC but I will heal them. I also tell them that if they aren't going to hold agro on a group they have taken, I will not heal them. They can die and I will be alive. I had a squad member leave because I told them that.

1. If you agro something but do not ensure that you are holding agro (i.e. use an AoE skill to grab agro), then you go without heals.

2. If you agro something and wait till the last 10% of your HP to grab agro on a set of mobs, it's not my fault you didn't hold it faster.

b:pleased So, here's my story. I was in my BH59 for Qianji and the barb rushes into the first part while the two roamers are there. The barb has just agroed four-five mobs. He does not hold agro on all of them. He dies. He starts blaming me for his death, which I died too because I did foolishly try to save his furry bum. That backfired badly. I tore him a new one then. The squad was surprised. b:victory I was happy. I got to bring one of my L90+ Wizard friends to come tank for us.

I have a cleric alt myself and you are my hero I always try to do this but feel too bad so I always end up dying b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Chobsi the only thing your good at is making your character look good, otherwise your fail"
    "Did that 95 BM just kill himself to your Herc? Mmm..Yep"
    "Oh that thing I thought was a statue, it 1 shot me, switch to your cleric please"
    "So that Hercules guy from the disney movie really aged well.."
    ~Chobsi b:cute
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I also tell them that if they aren't going to hold agro on a group they have taken, I will not heal them. They can die and I will be alive. I had a squad member leave because I told them that.
    Then you were better off without him. This is how any reasonable cleric will do things. And if it is too dangerous on all mobs, esp ranged magic mobs like on Qianji's path (since you mentioned BH59), a barb does not have the cooldown on Roar to spam it, nor does it make those mobs stop attacking ranged and come in to attack melee. Therefore, the barb either uses a tactic to keep them close together if multiple aggroing, pulls one or two himself with EF or just lets someone else like a veno pull.

Sadly even with Roar it's still easy to pull aggro w/heals. Nothing substitutes for hitting a mob. That's why I can sometimes appreciate a BM being there to aoe the **** outta everything.
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    if i see its an idiot squad, i just leave lol..
  • Vivre - Harshlands
    Vivre - Harshlands Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I dont know why but generally BMs are much better at holding aggro. Every BM I know does their fire aoe thing the first thing they do, followed by the stun. Barbs though? >.> You'd think at lvl 7x they'd know it too.

Story from two days ago.

PM from someone: "HELP Our cleric left and our squad is dead. Can you come res?"

Normally i pretend I'm a wizard but for a whole squad... fine ok. I arrive. This squad was doing the fb69 20-20-20. The five remaining squad members are literally in this trail of dead bodies leading up to a room packed with mobs. The wizard is right under a vipion.

So I res them all.. and I tell the wizard to wait for the mob to move before he resses. Before I know it, the barb types in "viv back me up" and -without waiting for a response - runs into the room and attacks the vipion, while five surrounding mobs aggroed him. So of course, he dies and wouldn't believe me when I told him that this was why his first cleric left. And when I told him that if I healed, I would pull heal aggro and die in two hits, he says "I can get aggro fast, you wont die". Level 78 barb and leader of a faction. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    What is this 'res' you speak of? b:cute
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Options
    I dont know why but generally BMs are much better at holding aggro. Every BM I know does their fire aoe thing the first thing they do, followed by the stun. Barbs though? >.> You'd think at lvl 7x they'd know it too.

This is very true. BMs seem to more "aware" of the overall HP of the squad. I will say that everytime I have pulled on my Veno it has been the BM that's saved me. There are too many problems with the Barbs because they do not have any ranged skills in tiger form.

Of course, there are a few noob BMs out there that twiddle their thumbs and reply they are just a DD and cannot tank. Axe BMs for the win there... though it's fun to see my BM buddies rotate through about five or six weapons and unleash a flurry of skills. It's entertaining. b:cute BMs are my life savers on both my cleric and my veno.