Does kindness pay?

2»

Comments

• Cosoc - Sanctuary
    Cosoc - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    every time i have been 'kind' to someone... which was a fair bit when i first started playing... like selling stuff for cheep etc to 'friends' they keep me in their friend list and the only time i hear from them is when they want something else cheep...
    1 thing this game has taught me is how to say NO
    i only sell to people i actually interact with in game now...
    its heaps better that way

if u give something to someone when they ask for something they will expect u to do it again... sad but true
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Swoop - Heavens Tear
    Swoop - Heavens Tear Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    OK, I'm a sucker. I admit it. I feel sorry for people and always try to help out, even though I usually end up getting taken advantage of. I come from a long line of martyrs on my mother's side, so I think it's genetic.

Fortunately, PWI has been really good therapy. I've charged outrageous prices at my cat-shops, bought out Gold when it was low and caused the prices to jump up 15k, hoarded all the pigments whenever new fashions came out, ruthlessly under-sold competing cat-shops and driven them away from the most profitable locations, and generally just been an all-around no-holds-barred capitalist.

But the QQers say I would benefit from learning about "kindness".

"BAH!" I said to myself, but of course then the martyr genes kicked in.

See, during the mayhem of the Battle Pet Pack sale on Saturday I was buying and selling at a fierce rate. Then this happened:

Veno: "hi"
    Me: "Heyas"
    Veno: "can you help me?"
    Me: "With?"

Now, I won't give you the full sob story, because frankly it wasn't a very good one. Most of you probably would be disgusted at how easily I caved, and I don't dare give the details lest my evil girlfriend reads it and starts re-thinking her relationship with such a bleeding-heart milquetoast.

In the end, though, I promised to see if I could somehow help a random Veno that was 20% short of getting a Herc manage to afford one anyway. I'd take a 2.5million loss if I just outright sold to her at the price she could afford. Some say that would have been the "kind" thing to do, but I kinda suspect it would have been the "sucker" thing to do, actually.

See, here's the thing: every time I asked a question as to why the Veno didn't just go buy gold herself and use it to get SoF at the lowest possible price, the conversation went silent. As long as we were discussing possible ways *I* could swing some of *my* financial leverage to get her a lower price, she responded, but whenever I suggested she could use some of *her* financial leverage in the same way for *her* own benefit, or offered to teach her how, she'd change the subject.

I probably made at least 25% profit during all the time that the Veno wouldn't take my advice, but to be fair I knew exactly what I was doing. I figured maybe we'd figure something out on Sunday, but of course that all went to pot when the sale ended early.

Which turned out to be GREAT news for the Veno!

Because gold prices plummeted, you see, and that meant she could buy gold, hold onto it for the next promised sale, then buy her Herc and still have funds left over! Yay! A happy ending for all!

Well, no. Because it turns out that even though I explained to the Veno that she needed to buy gold and wait, she didn't buy. She waited, though. When gold was just about to pass the price at which she could have still afforded the Herc (but minus any extra funds left over) I recommended she jump in and buy anyway, just to be sure. No response. In fact, she logged off.

So I suspect that in the end, to her I'm nothing more than an insurance policy. If the Veno manages to raise enough funds before the next sale to be able to afford her Herc, then I won't be needed. But should she fall short I suspect that that's when I'm supposed to fill in the gap and "kindly" take a loss so that she can get her Herc anyway.

So does "kindness" pay? If this was 1 year ago, I'd have probably already taken the loss. But PWI has taught me that a lot of times when people ask for "kindness", all they're really asking for is for you to play the game for them and give them a handout. We're supposed to be playing the game because we want to play, not using moral-manipulation to guilt others into playing it for us. Right?

Or am I being unkind?

Thought Id actually read what this thread is really about, b:laugh You think like me wolfy, it is about playing the game and not having it done for you. If you give handouts and play the game for them, they lack the gaming experience they would've gained from playing it themselves. As for your situation with the Veno, based on the fact that she failed to respond or changed the subject when not talking about you paying or giving money. I'd say she was yanking your chain. My mother uses the old "pretend-I-don't-have-enough-gold-and-see-if-I-can-get-things-cheaper" trick on WoW. I think this Veno may have been doing the same.
    You'll never see me running away, I will stay to be

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In the picture

Images blur, I'm coming alive
  • Swoop - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    every time i have been 'kind' to someone... which was a fair bit when i first started playing... like selling stuff for cheep etc to 'friends' they keep me in their friend list and the only time i hear from them is when they want something else cheep...
    1 thing this game has taught me is how to say NO
    i only sell to people i actually interact with in game now...
    its heaps better that way

if u give something to someone when they ask for something they will expect u to do it again... sad but true

Amen to that, my friends are the same, except they only called when they wanted a healer. Like you I have also learned to say "No"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In the picture

• RisenPhoenix - Sanctuary
    RisenPhoenix - Sanctuary Posts: 593 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    kindness will lead you to a shorter lifespan.

TV is right...the wicked never die young....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Duke Shouts: WTT PWI for Your Credit Card! It is the duty of all warriors to do so NAO! b:bye LeirtA - Lost City PWI = Pay2Win International

b:bye Quit as of 10/09 b:bye
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I try to always be kind. But probably not to that extent.

Here is the thing.. in RL my husband is a kind man. Hardly a harsh word. Would give you the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it worse than he did. I've seen him give money to people when we really didn't have it to give.

But in this game. He's brutal. He's selfish, greedy and doesn't even want to share with me. He's allowing himself to be something here he just couldn't be in real life no matter how hard he tried. It would go against every fiber of his being.

That said, I think that is you. I think you probably are a really kind person IRL, and in this game you want to finally be or have something for just YOU. In reality there is nothing wrong with that. Its probably good therapy for ya! If you are friends with someone and choose to cut them a break, all is good. For a random person who probably will never return the favor, pass it on, or never look back...make your money and enjoy it :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    But in this game. He's brutal. He's selfish, greedy and doesn't even want to share with me. He's allowing himself to be something here he just couldn't be in real life no matter how hard he tried. It would go against every fiber of his being.
    thats me lol.
  • Elfaria - Dreamweaver
    Elfaria - Dreamweaver Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    No kindness does not pay.
    Its nice to be kind to others but when it comes to money, especially when they don't know you for at least a month, don't even trust them.

Ask yourself, "what did they ever do to me that gives them the right to have this kindness of mine?"

Nothing in this world is free.
    My motto: The Equivalent Exchange.

EDIT ~
    You might be like me that has trouble with saying the word 'NO and making excuses to stay away from topics you just can't say 'yes to. I feel so cursed.
  • Amarta - Sanctuary
    Amarta - Sanctuary Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Kindness is fine to an extent, depending on what it is they ask of.

"Can you help me kill Gouf/Khewy/Boss X?"

- Sure.

"Can you give me 100k?"

- Hell no.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited August 2009

Unless someone did some injustice to me in game, I think that would leave me witha big sense of guilt in Rl D;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
    edited August 2009
    Unless someone did some injustice to me in game, I think that would leave me witha big sense of guilt in Rl D;

Guilty enough to give them gold or coins for no reason? Not likely!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Guilty enough to give them gold or coins for no reason? Not likely!
    I meant like being brutal and selfish in the game :x if I payed them after that, it would be even more wrong lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Filet - Heavens Tear
    Filet - Heavens Tear Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Kindness in PWI should be reserved for friends and people you know. If a random stranger walks up to me asking for money I'm gonna say no, call me mean or cold-hearted but unless they have a really really good reason it's not happening
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I was wondering when another one of your topics would show up. One of them got necro'd this morning...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
    edited August 2009
    I meant like being brutal and selfish in the game :x if I payed them after that, it would be even more wrong lol

Ok you get funniest post of the day! That was hilarious. Being on a PvE server its kinda hard to be brutal! I mostly meant he's really stingy in the game. With his money and his time! Not just with me either lol.. with anyone!

Main point was tho, that sometimes people like to be here, who they can't be out in the real world.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sadie_Doll - Heavens Tear
    Sadie_Doll - Heavens Tear Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I'm all for being kind to other players. I often buff and rez random players as I fly past. And have at times killed a few bosses. I don't however buff or rez beggers. Nor do I squad with players who send random squad requests just because you happen to be in the area. Which you reject, then they send you 5 more and follow you around begging you "If I rejected the first squad request, I'm not going to except the next 5 you send am I?"b:angry. And half the time they don't even try to fight the mobs, they just stand there like a starched **** in a thunderstorm. You feel like saying "At least try and fight one of them, y'know make an effort. A lot of the people who play this game are like children, everything has to be done for them. Those are the people who get nothing from me. Another thing I don't get is half of em are in factions. Isn't the whole point of joining a Faction, so you have people to help you? Why don't you ask them?

Oh Swoopy, so much anger. Damn that rap music b:laugh. As you know I too have been the victim of the lost puppys who follow me around on their knees, begging ,me to help them. If I cared I might actually have pity on them, but I don't. I just have one rule, if you're not a "DeadDoll", tell your story walking. In this world there is one absolute, the strong survive and the weak shall perish. DeadDolls live by their strength alone, uninhibited by foolish emotions. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Who is this irrestible creature who has an insaciable love for the dead?

LIVING DEAD GIRL.

Rage in the cage, and **** upon the stage
    Only one sure way to bring the giant down
    Defunct the strings of cemetary things
    With one flat foot on the devil's wing

Crawl on me
    Sink into me
    Die for me
    Living Dead Girl
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited August 2009

That said, I think that is you. I think you probably are a really kind person IRL, and in this game you want to finally be or have something for just YOU.
    Yup. That's me. b:thanks

I believe honest, fair competition in a game is fun. For example, I have a large collection of board games that I love playing with friends and family, and it's generally more fun to play when everybody is trying their best to win. On the other hand, I've seen couples who cannot play games competitively because there's emotional blackmail involved. One partner basically forces the other to "play nice", or else suffer real-life repercussions. That's not fun at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Nightwalken - Sanctuary
    Nightwalken - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I didn't read all replys, but as a cleric everybody is expecting that we are helpful. Weird though, that as many times i needed help my self ppl was always busy, i was getting really "cheap" offers from "friends", ppl from certain factions we're KS as as cleric i don't have enough problems with grinding etc. I use to give away mats i didn't need, DQ stuff etc. I mean i didn't give all my lootie away, but i could always spare hew DQ items which ppl were missing, but rarly i got any thing in return. So first i become factionless, cause i didn't see much point in joining any factions after my last faction collapsed and since then i'm getting occasional help from random ppl. Well i could say there is few individuals, which helps me when help is needed, some even remember i needed some quest and invite me with out me asking them for help 100 times.
    But then again PWI and all other similiar games are simulations of some real life with or without fantasy stuff. So ppl react like in real life too and as real life one have to run along and survive. But that doesn't change fact that i'm bored as hell, cause at this lvl game give me only one option, which is to grind like 24/7 to get some where.
  • Swoop - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    I didn't read all replys, but as a cleric everybody is expecting that we are helpful. Weird though, that as many times i needed help my self ppl was always busy, .

Out of the mouth of babes. That seems to be the way the world works. A lot of people in game also think that Clerics are clairvoyant. They ask for a res, without ever telling you where they are. "I'm sorry, my mind-reading powers don't seem to be working"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In the picture