Kowlins

2»

Comments

• _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Kowlin is just an average pet.

But I doubt it can even be of any use past 39. Its all about how cool it looks that makes people get them.

I understand that's your opinion, however I disagree. I use my kowlin in all fb's I go into, including fb89s. As well as using them to mostly tank in forgotten frostlands runs and also luring and DD'ing in lunar glade runs.

One veno in HT actually proved to me that a kowlin can tank Luminoc. At first I didn't believe her, then I did what she suggested and tried it. I also have tanked the first boss in fb51 with my kowlin.

It depends on if the person actually goes through with training them up to a higher level. The stats may suck, but its a great pet nonetheless.

Yes they look cool, but that's not all of what its about. People love how quick they are since it makes luring so much easier since they are the fastest "pet". I have others that are close in speed, but none that matches my kowlin. Besides, how many pets other than kowlins do you know that can stand 2 hits from Wurlord?
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • ShadowTails - Heavens Tear
    ShadowTails - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    That reflect doesn't even do enough damage to hold aggro for spamming noxious gas which means you have to make sure all mobs are properly aggroed and take your time nuking. Even when done optimally on the OMA physical mobs 81-85, it's slower than taking them down one by one with a common pet and Howl. Herc and his buffs including Reflect are designed optimally for tanking bosses, not same level mobs.

Reflect and Bash work very well but you are right, you can't start spamming noxious as soon as you start or you will steal aggro from pet. If you want to gain XP you don't need to take same level mobs, you will get more XP and better drops with higher mobs. I agree that Herc is optimal on bosses but from my personal experience I can level faster using an Herc than using a Eldergoth (but I haven't got the same skills on Eldergoth so that could change it).

This is ignorant of the fact that the Eldergoth only needs to tank the magical attacks on most bosses I've tested on. Eldergoth's magic defense is comparable to Herc's Magic: 6841 to 7161.

Don't forget that there are bosses that won't use ranged attacks and bosses that do physical damage on ranged attacks, with those Eldergoth doesn't stand a chance comparing to Herc. That magic defense difference doesn't seem much but it increases with Protect and if you only use ranged attacks both Reflect and pet attack skills become useless, how do you keep aggro?
    Though it's HP is a little less than 3/4, it doesn't have to deal with a phys hit/mag hit combo. It's HP is also easier filled.

Lower HP, physical and magic defense also means you have higher chances to be killed with a single hit on higher bosses.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    That magic defense difference doesn't seem much but it increases with Protect and if you only use ranged attacks both Reflect and pet attack skills become useless, how do you keep aggro?

I tend to prefer solo.
    Lower HP, physical and magic defense also means you have higher chances to be killed with a single hit on higher bosses.

Not necessarily. With combined Phys and Mag, you're getting hit 2-3x between spam heals. Eliminating Phys makes for more consistent results like 1 hit at most between healing.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    What is the MDef of the carapest at level 90?

Molten Carapest (level 20 elite tamed in the human FB 19)

Level 20 stats:

HP: 549
    Attack: 154
    Accuracy: 333
    P. Def: 1409
    M. Def: 1762
    Speed: 6.7
    Evasion: 333

Level 90 stats sans Attack and Speed

HP: 2474
    Accuracy: 1500
    P. Def: 7009
    M. Def: 8762
    Evasion: 1500

The Terror should have the following stats at level 90:

HP: 2478
    Accuracy: 1502
    P. Def: 7018
    M. Def: 8782
    Evasion: 1502

Edit: I posted the Molten Carapest stats because that is what I was basing the level 90 stats for the Terror on: the difference at level 20 between the two using the increases of the Molten Carapest, and the adding the static difference to the level 90 stats for the Molten Carapest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LinZeta - Lost City
    LinZeta - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I use the Kowlin for fast luring, because like posted earlier, the red light show is the perfect indicator for unsommening the pet. I also keep it the same level as me for pvp reasons. It's fast! I always have it on defense, so if I get attacked, it's quick on its feet. I can use flesh ream and run while I figure out what to do next.

Oh and 1-1.5 mil? WTH? They are running for 500k-800k in LC.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I use the Kowlin for fast luring, because like posted earlier, the red light show is the perfect indicator for unsommening the pet. I also keep it the same level as me for pvp reasons. It's fast! I always have it on defense, so if I get attacked, it's quick on its feet. I can use flesh ream and run while I figure out what to do next.

Oh and 1-1.5 mil? WTH? They are running for 500k-800k in LC.

I thought they removed the pet attacking other players while on defense mode a couple of upgrades ago.. I remember a post with people complaining about it.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Removing that would be a bad idea. A pet on defend is good so then people who have to go afk for a second, or turn their head for a moment, if they are attacked they will be protected. I put my pets on defend every once and a while, but I'm on a PvE server. And I don't PvP unless its in tw.

If you attack someone afk and they have their pet on defend, sucks to be you. Why take away something that could benefit someone outside a safezone? It doesn't allow an easy/free kill. And if by chance the pet could be killed, you'll still be able to kill the person anyways and still get the count. So what's so wrong with being able to put a pet on defend during pk mode?
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    So what's so wrong with being able to put a pet on defend during pk mode?

I believe the complaint was that no other class can auto-defend. If attacked, they all have to manually target (if their target was not clear) and take actions to fight back. The veno pet did it automatically and instantly, removing part of the advantage of a surprise attack if you sprung it on a veno.
  • LinZeta - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    I believe the complaint was that no other class can auto-defend. If attacked, they all have to manually target (if their target was not clear) and take actions to fight back. The veno pet did it automatically and instantly, removing part of the advantage of a surprise attack if you sprung it on a veno.

What you are saying? It still doesn't make sense to me.

During PK mode, if anyone is being attacked the person will auto pop up for anyone, it's still a surprise attack (from what I know of). How are we auto-defending? All the defense system does is have my pet charge at the PKer AFTER I'm hit. It's not a full win-win. Clerics can now auto buff and what not depending on settings right? So wouldn't this explanation propose the same disadvantage?

Am I missing something here? Please explain a little better to me otherwise?b:surrender
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    What you are saying? It still doesn't make sense to me.
    The pet automatically fights back, the veno doesn't need to do anything. None of the other classes had the capability to automatically fight back. As I understand it, they changed it so the veno player needs to order the pet to attack, just like people playing the other classes need to order their character to attack.

Most other MMOs I've played will have your character auto-defend (even if it's just melee). But this one doesn't (paranoia about botting maybe?). So either everyone can auto-defend, or nobody can auto-defend. Makes sense to me.
  • LinZeta - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    The pet automatically fights back, the veno doesn't need to do anything. None of the other classes had the capability to automatically fight back. As I understand it, they changed it so the veno player needs to order the pet to attack, just like people playing the other classes need to order their character to attack.

Most other MMOs I've played will have your character auto-defend (even if it's just melee). But this one doesn't (paranoia about botting maybe?). So either everyone can auto-defend, or nobody can auto-defend. Makes sense to me.

Well regardless, I'm not auto-fighting back, my pet is, it's part of being a veno I guess. b:pleased

And as far as I know, if someone let's say wants to be funny out of SZ and punches me, my pet WILL auto attack it him/her if I have it on defend. Maybe it's different for PVE.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    ooooh I see. Yeah I can see where that would make people upset a bit.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited July 2009
    Well regardless, I'm not auto-fighting back, my pet is, it's part of being a veno I guess. b:pleased

And as far as I know, if someone let's say wants to be funny out of SZ and punches me, my pet WILL auto attack it him/her if I have it on defend. Maybe it's different for PVE.

Pretty sure that since last patch, if someone wants to be funny, they can punch kill you while you pet rolls around waiting to be petted....
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2009

In wow pets will auto-attack opposing faction characters if they are set to aggressive, but characters themselves don't automatically attack back. It's a well known trick hunters and warlocks use to catch rogues still in stealth to pull them out of stealth before they get an opener on them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LinZeta - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Pretty sure that since last patch, if someone wants to be funny, they can punch kill you while you pet rolls around waiting to be petted....

Really?...roffflesssssss.....

Well I'll test it myself next time I'm in-game.
    edited July 2009
    Really?...roffflesssssss.....

Well I'll test it myself next time I'm in-game.

Let us know please once you test it.
  • LinZeta - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    ......They fixed it....

LAMESAUCEEE!!!!b:angry

They need to stop nerfing Venos!