Kowlins

_wtf_lmao - Heavens Tear
_wtf_lmao - Heavens Tear Posts: 51 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Venomancer
Are Kowlins good pets???Im thinking of getting one, but i dont know if I should. Would it be better to lvl up a Snow Hare or just tame a Kowlin? And are the spawn times 12hrs for this pet too? Will there be a lot of venos trying to tame it?And if i cant tame it, is it worth it to buy 1 for 1.5 million?
And can someone tell me if these coords are right for the kowlin because im not sure: 429, 423
463, 428
420, 398

Which coord do I have more of a chance of getting one?

PLZ PLZ Help me with my questions. And when I get to lvl 60 maybe some1 can help me get it :Db:victoryb:victoryb:victoryb:victory
Post edited by _wtf_lmao - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Are Kowlins good pets???Im thinking of getting one, but i dont know if I should. Would it be better to lvl up a Snow Hare or just tame a Kowlin? And are the spawn times 12hrs for this pet too? Will there be a lot of venos trying to tame it?And if i cant tame it, is it worth it to buy 1 for 1.5 million?
    And can someone tell me if these coords are right for the kowlin because im not sure: 429, 423
    463, 428
    420, 398

Which coord do I have more of a chance of getting one?

PLZ PLZ Help me with my questions. And when I get to lvl 60 maybe some1 can help me get it :Db:victoryb:victoryb:victoryb:victory

It is the fastest land pet.
    Not worth the price tag, imo. If you catch one use it.
    There are other alternatives if you looking just for a lurer or utility pet or DD.

And before tweakz says it, 1mil for it represents 1/20 of a herc, which is far superior, so save your money.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • _wtf_lmao - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    ok, so i should keep my money and just tame one and hope I get lucky?
    edited July 2009
    That is about it. However, there are other pets that can work as well as the kowlin or better, depending on what you want to use it for.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    It is the fastest land pet.

Most mounts can be spurred to go 11 m/s. I also believe we'll see faster land battle pets above level 90.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
    edited July 2009
    well i just want a good defense and attacking pet (that looks cool) so i can get through my quests quicker and i can go through low lvl fbs without a prob and such
  • ShadowTails - Heavens Tear
    ShadowTails - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    well i just want a good defense and attacking pet (that looks cool) so i can get through my quests quicker and i can go through low lvl fbs without a prob and such

Kowlin is good for luring, he's the fastest battle pet at his level (and will be the fastest at any level if you level him). If you want a good pet for fbs and grinding nothing comes close to Hercules so you should save your money for it.

PS: Kowlin is a level 60 pet so you can only tame and use it when you get to level 60.
  • Myrann - Heavens Tear
    Myrann - Heavens Tear Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I use the Kowlin as a Lurer in TT and FBs, and grinding. I didnt mind investing in it because I love it as a pet, more of a treat for me personally. (Plus its always look so happy running back to you after killing a mob LOL)b:laugh

Other good Lurers will be either the puppy which is around 900k, or the Plumdrop Kitty for around 700k. But for free (which is even better) you have the Dodon Laronist in the FB59, they are so funny to look at, and they are very fast. I would say second or at least 3rd fastest pet in the game personally. Or the Orchid Petali towards lvl 60.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Kowlin is good for luring, he's the fastest battle pet at his level (and will be the fastest at any level if you level him).

Being fastest on foot doesn't make him best. It's inferior to ranged pets for general luring, and inferior for debuff luring due to it's lack of hardiness.
    If you want a good pet for fbs and grinding nothing comes close to Hercules so you should save your money for it.

Actually almost any normal pet using howl can help me take down same level (grinding) mobs 1 on 1 faster than a herc. An Eldergoth Marksman comes very close to being as good for FB bosses as well, especially if given Protect or Blessing of the Pack. The only pet that makes a significant difference for grinding is the Baby Phoenix.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    Being fastest on foot doesn't make him best. It's inferior to ranged pets for general luring, and inferior for debuff luring due to it's lack of hardiness.
    tweakz gives good info, but has a habit of stating his opinion as fact. tweakz finds it inferior to ranged pets for general luring. I find it superior. Since the ranged pet (eldergoth marksman) is free, I recommend you grab one and give it a shot. Grab a fast regular pet with a distinctive attack animation and use it. Compare the two, and go with whichever you feel works better for you. For debuffing, I only use my debuff pet when someone else is tanking. So it never gets hit except by AOEs, and its hardiness almost never comes into play.

I find the kowlin's bright red attack animation makes it dirt simple to time the unsummon (so it doesn't get hit anyway, thus eliminating the ranged pet's advantage). And I find its higher speed to be advantageous when you need to time a pull between 2-3 sets of wandering mobs.

Note: I don't think the kowlin is worth 1 million, and I think the farmers trying to raise the price to 1.2-1.3 mil are insane. I tamed my kowlin myself. But if you can't beat the farmers, there are plenty of fast or ranged pets which should work just fine.
  • Zetarana - Heavens Tear
    Zetarana - Heavens Tear Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I only use my debuff pet when someone else is tanking.

Could you clarify and expand on what you mean by Debuff Pet?

I assume you mean a pet with certain skills that are different than the standard set of damage/attack skills.

(I don't recall reading about a Debuff Pet in the Pet Guide.)

THX
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno
    Nephandus - Arcane Wizard
    Faction: Nocturne
    edited July 2009
    Could you clarify and expand on what you mean by Debuff Pet?
    Pierce to lower the mob's phys def (Ironwood does it too, but having the pet do it can help save you some chi). Howl to lower mag def. And Threaten to lower phys attack. Some people add Shrill/Shriek to interrupt spellcasts.

Clerics can lower phys and mag def by 30% too, but it makes them vulnerable and I prefer my clerics use their mana on heals or DD.

36% def reduction for 15 of 30 sec yields approx 12% extra damage.
    20% extra damage from Amp for 20 of 31.5 sec yields 12.7% extra damage.
    24% extra damage from Extreme Poison for 10 of 31 sec yields 7.7% extra damage (40 dex, 40 mag genie).

Total is 32.4% extra damage. Toss in a couple Ironwoods and the veno singlehandedly reduces boss fight time by 1/3rd without doing any damage, even though she is 1/6th of the party.
    edited July 2009
    Pierce to lower the mob's phys def (Ironwood does it too, but having the pet do it can help save you some chi). Howl to lower mag def. And Threaten to lower phys attack. Some people add Shrill/Shriek to interrupt spellcasts.

I start putting roar on my debuff pets. It comes in handy when for some reason cleric pull aggro, I can quickly set pet on the mob, use roar, and buy enough time for the tank to come and get it (if it is a boss) or I can just tank the mob (if it is a regular mob).

It has came in handy several times already.... specialy with some of those wandering mobs.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    I find the kowlin's bright red attack animation makes it dirt simple to time the unsummon (so it doesn't get hit anyway, thus eliminating the ranged pet's advantage).

I state that ranged Eldergoths are better as fact because this is a user issue, and nothing to do with the capability of the pet. The Eldergoth stops before it attacks, then draws back to throw. These are clear enough for most people.

I've actually been luring more with my Armored Bear, and more recently Frogling.

Debuff Luring -something I made up for all I know: I take a hardy pet like the Armored Bear, and have the default attack on Threaten (debuff). I hit the Tough button , then the bash attack (lure won't work without dmg) . I then watch the Threaten Icon to see when to unsummon (works around corners like a charm). This makes for a much safer lure for Phys Mobs. When you're done removing the physical mobs, you can use a high mag. def. pet to debuff with slow the same way. Carapest Terrors come with slow which cost 900k at NPC otherwise, and have the highest mag def known. (Mag def is more important than HP for non pure mag venos). It's as if this pet, and the Armored Bear were made for the job. -got a lv.55 Carapest Terror w/howl on Heaven's Tear for sale cheap if anyone wants. b:thanks

How well does Debuff Luring work?

I've been soloing FB89 Eden at level 84. I don't remember my bear ever dying. My frogling which I just started using came close, but it was on a sacrificial assault. For me, saves charm, saves time building chi, it's a lot less stressful, and a lot safer. I could use bramble hood every time, but that's a pain. Slow doesn't appear to work on bosses, only really tried it on Raving Drake Brute with a Petalii.
    edited July 2009
    Ill get more pet slots so i can tame a eldergoth marksman and a kowlin and still keep my air and water pets.
    and kowlins spawn every 12hrs right?
    edited July 2009
    and if 1 of u guys are on the heavens tear server and is lvl60+ maybe u can help me tame 1 :D
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Sorry. failed to check or mention:

To use ranged, just disable the skills (right click on default [one with highlight around it] to disable it).

Your Eldergoth isn't only great for luring, check this out:

Why Should Veno's Have a Ranged Pet?
    edited July 2009
    Sorry. failed to check or mention:

To use ranged, just disable the skills (right click on default [one with highlight around it] to disable it).

Your Eldergoth isn't only great for luring, check this out:

Why Should Veno's Have a Ranged Pet?

What is the MDef of the carapest at level 90?
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    What is the MDef of the carapest at level 90?

Unknown to me. This site has it's l.60 stats along with frogling and others (Hardback Dinothere):
    http://perfectworld.clanfree.net/compapet.htm

I love it's animations and wish I had got one early on.
    edited July 2009
    Unknown to me. This site has it's l.60 stats along with frogling and others (Hardback Dinothere):
    http://perfectworld.clanfree.net/compapet.htm

I love it's animations and wish I had got one early on.

So that means it ties with the antelup pup for Mdef.

Unless the growth curve changes, it will have the same HP, same Mdef, a little more Pdef, and lower attack.

I really wonder what the numbers are at 90... how much mdef does yours have, and level?
    edited July 2009
    I state that ranged Eldergoths are better as fact because this is a user issue, and nothing to do with the capability of the pet. The Eldergoth stops before it attacks, then draws back to throw. These are clear enough for most people.
    That would be fine if the pets were being used by computers. But they're not. People use them. Usability is an intrinsic aspect to each pet, as much so as its stats. Many people didn't care for the magmite because it blocked their view of what was going on in the game. If one pet has a problem or advantage that another lacks, then it is an intrinsic property of the pet. When deciding which pet works best for him/her, a player is not going to artificially limit the comparison to just its stats. Every aspect that affects its efficacy is going to be a factor, including usability. This is the difference between theory and practice.

The eldergoth's attack animation is not as clear as you make it out to be. Most of the time when you're luring, your sending it out at max range. And most of the time it will run straight from you to the target. It's running animation thus amounts to its image bobbing up and down a few pixels as the pet stays in about the same position on your screen. It is not at all clear when this stops. Maybe if you have a big monitor it's easy. I don't generally have a problem with it on my 24" monitor. But I frequently play on my laptop which only has a 12" screen. It is not so easy to see the eldergoth stop running on it. But the kowlin's bright red whirlwind is blindingly obvious on either.

Cognitively, your brain also reacts quicker to an event happening (e.g. a starter's pistol firing, or the kowlin's red whirlwind appearing) than it does to an event stopping (e.g. putting in a new CD when the music stops playing, or the eldergoth stopping its run animation). It's been 20 years since I read the user interface studies on this, but there is a real, measurable difference in people's reaction times between these two types of events. The kowlin is just easier to use, which is why I recommended people try both before deciding. For some people the improved usability is going to be more important to them than better stats. For others, the better stats will matter more.
    I then watch the Threaten and Bash Icons to see when to unsummon (works around corners like a charm)
    While this is the only way to do it around corners, this is not how you want to be doing it in general. The icons do not grey out until he skill finishes firing. You can unsummon as soon as the skill starts to fire. The time difference can often mean the difference between a successful lure and a dead pet. Attack animations like the kowlin's red whirlwind appear as soon as the skill starts to fire, so are perfect for timing your unsummons.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Lv. 55, full loyalty (Carapest Terror):

HP 1515
    Phys Res: 4217
    Acc: 918
    Phys Atk: 886
    Mag Res: 5272
    Evade: 918
    Speed: 7 m/s

The phys res does give it a slight advantage for luring as some mobs use mag for ranged, and physical for melee. As discussed elsewhere, the DPS of a pet unless it's the Nix doesn't have much impact on grinding normal mobs, so it would be easier to level having more phys res.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    @Solandri,
    The argument your proposing is like saying a commodore VIC 20 is a better computer solely based on the size of on screen text. The Marksman is technically superior and will perform better in general for those without a handicap.
    edited July 2009
    Lv. 55, full loyalty (Carapest Terror):

HP 1515
    Phys Res: 4217
    Acc: 918
    Phys Atk: 886
    Mag Res: 5272
    Evade: 918
    Speed: 7 m/s

The phys res does give it a slight advantage for luring as some mobs use mag for ranged, and physical for melee. As discussed elsewhere, the DPS of a pet unless it's the Nix doesn't have much impact on grinding normal mobs, so it would be easier to level having more phys res.

I have both the carapest and the pup. Pup comes with howl, so I end up using it more often.
    edited July 2009
    @Solandri,
    The argument your proposing is like saying a commodore VIC 20 is a better computer solely based on the size of on screen text. The Marksman is technically superior and will perform better in general for those without a handicap.

Now you're resorting to strawmen. I've given many reasons why the eldergoth is technically inferior in certain ways. You just choose to dismiss those points as unimportant. Which is my whole point - what you consider important is different from what I consider important, which is different from what others consider important. So there is not going to be one best luring pet for all.

Enough of this. You say Eldergoth is better for all. I say everyone should try different pets and pick whichever works better for them. I'll let others decide who is right. I am finished with this.
  • Morraina - Sanctuary
    Morraina - Sanctuary Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Note: All of what follows is my opinion.

I'm really not a uber-stat person, so I can not give you number-crunching facts, but I love my Kowlin. I like him for three reasons:

1). He's the best looking pet in the game.
    2). He's FAST!
    3). He has a very distinctive attack animation that I can use to pull him back during luring and almost always save him from taking damage.

That being said, I don't grind with him. I like to nuke over the shoulder of my pets and then heal after the battle. This works fine for the Golem or Herc, but not the Kowlin. But that is more my play style than a fault of the Kowlin. The Kowlin was designed to be a lurer and he's the best in the game for that.
  • ShadowTails - Heavens Tear
    ShadowTails - Heavens Tear Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Actually almost any normal pet using howl can help me take down same level (grinding) mobs 1 on 1 faster than a herc. An Eldergoth Marksman comes very close to being as good for FB bosses as well, especially if given Protect or Blessing of the Pack. The only pet that makes a significant difference for grinding is the Baby Phoenix.

With herc you don't need to grind 1 on 1, (specially with physical mobs) its quicker to take a bunch of them at the same time. As for FBs, even if you spend money getting him the same skills as herc, Eldergoth Marksman will have less HP, physical defense and magical defense, he won't be as good as herc tanking.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    With herc you don't need to grind 1 on 1, (specially with physical mobs)

Using tough, I've taken on 4-5 mobs at a time on a regular basis with a common pet.
    its quicker to take a bunch of them at the same time.

That reflect doesn't even do enough damage to hold aggro for spamming noxious gas which means you have to make sure all mobs are properly aggroed and take your time nuking. Even when done optimally on the OMA physical mobs 81-85, it's slower than taking them down one by one with a common pet and Howl. Herc and his buffs including Reflect are designed optimally for tanking bosses, not same level mobs.
    even if you spend money getting him the same skills as herc, Eldergoth Marksman will have less HP, physical defense and magical defense, he won't be as good as herc tanking.

This is ignorant of the fact that the Eldergoth only needs to tank the magical attacks on most bosses I've tested on. Eldergoth's magic defense is comparable to Herc's Magic: 6841 to 7161. Though it's HP is a little less than 3/4, it doesn't have to deal with a phys hit/mag hit combo. It's HP is also easier filled.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Note: All of what follows is my opinion.

---*edit* ---

The Kowlin was designed to be a lurer and he's the best in the game for that.

Best lurer, yes: opinion. It's given debuff skills, and stats: not luring skills or stats other than speed.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Well I didn't read the walls of text, but I will give my little opinion. Kowlins FTW lol. As a veno without a herc I love my kowlin. and since it was a gift to me, I didn't have to pay anything for it. However, I have customized its skills to fit my grinding/fighting style.

For those that have seen me in action with Saix, you will know what skill I put on there. For most people would say its a waste of money on a kowlin, but having a level 86 kowlin... and that skill... even luring inside fb89s is simple. My kowlin also tanks all of the mobs up to the boss in FF single.

Yes it is the "fastest" land pet aside from mounts. However, if they ever make the spotted felis tameable in our version, its faster than a kowlin. I'm sure on other versions there are quicker mobs. But even at later levels I have yet to see anything match the kowlin. Yeah, Acephalid Death Knight Generals are quick and everything... but my kowlin is more durable. Its worth every penny spent on it by the person who gave it to me. I wouldn't trade this pet for anything.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • nicoleluver
    nicoleluver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Kowlin is just an average pet.

Pros :
    - Insane Speed, Good for Town Wars, Land PVP or Low Level FBs or Luring

Cons :
    - Has the same defense Stats a normal wolf pet that you catch at Lv 2, Maybe a little more not sure but still doesnt have an OMG Defense or attack stats.

-Its "Ripping Bite" Skill is bugged and does a lot of damage in PVP, hence a good choice of a PVP Pet but other skills arent that great.

Personally I would stick with a Magmite and would not even bother getting a Kowlin unless I caught it myself or got it for free.

Conclusion : kowling is just an average pet. Prolly usefull for Low level FBs such as 19,29 & 39. But I doubt it can even be of any use past 39. Its all about how cool it looks that makes people get them.b:cute