CONTEST: Calendar Design Competition - JUNE!

Options
dvorak
dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Official Announcements
event_details_banner_June.jpg

Looking for aspiring artistes with a flair for the creative, the expressive, the humorous and a knack for designing cool desktop wallpaper calendar designs!

If you're up to the task then step up the plate, send in your design(s) and take part in Round #5 of our Calendar Design Contest for the month of June. For this round the gloves come off and its time to celebrate the splendor of Summer in its full, unadulterated glory!

To participate, here's what you need to do:

1) Begin by downloading our calendar kit for June 2009 HERE. This zip folder includes the background calendar template, a sample calendar, and a number of stock pictures you can use.

2) Load the background template into the image manipulation software of your choice and jazz up the template in any manner you like. Examples include: using screen captures, real life photos of yourself (keep it clean!), images found on our website, self created elements, etc. - Just be creative! The stock images included in the calendar kit are a great place to start but feel free to find other sources of inspiration!

In fact, if you're bold enough you aren't even required to use our provided image background. All that is required is that your designs include a calendar grid for the month of June 2009 along with the PWI logo and/or website URL. Keep in mind that judges are usually partial toward designs that encompass the 'theme' of the month - in this case warm hues that conjure up the approach of Summer and other such related imagery will certainly earn you a point or two of added kudos.

3) When you feel that your calendar is up to par, email your image file to: events@perfectworldinc.com. MULTIPLE submissions are allowed so don't be afraid to take risks!

In your email, please include your in-game character name and server in order to receive your prize should you win. "Hmm, what's this about prizes? you say...

4) The deadline for submissions is Monday, June 1st at 6:00 P.M. Pacific time. All submissions will be reviewed by representatives from the Community, Product and Design teams here at Perfect World Entertainment, and winners will be announced later that week!

The Top 5 Designs (based on criteria such as artistic merit, creativity, humor, expressions, etc.) will be featured on our website and made available for all users to download. For the month of June we will be awarding each of the Top 5 winners their choice of 1 of 3 new flying mounts. These new flying mounts have yet to be released, are race specific and jaw-dropping!

Rules:

- Send your Calendar design to events@perfectworldinc.com by 6:00 P.M. (pacific time) on Monday, June 1st.

- Do not resize the dimensions of the background template (we need it to fit on standard monitor sizes!).

- Designs must incorporate a calendar grid for the month of June, along with the PWI logo and/or the URL of our website.

- Files MUST be in .jpg, .gif or bitmap (.bmp) only.

- Do not use characters, locations, or objects from other intellectual properties, (Perfect World elements only!).

- Please keep your designs in good taste. Submissions that are deemed objectionable will be rejected for consideration.

Click on the image below to download the calendar kit for June:

calendar_June_example.jpg
pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
Post edited by dvorak on

Comments

• Yanjing - Heavens Tear
    Yanjing - Heavens Tear Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm bringing it...as soon as my antibiotics kick in.
    yay
  • Aelicia - Sanctuary
    Aelicia - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm in this month too b:victory Good luck everyone =)
  • BloodFire - Harshlands
    BloodFire - Harshlands Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm giving my all for this one.
    Count on the digital gloves coming off <3
    Good Luck everyone
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Gonna try again on this one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Dvorak wrote: »
    These new flying mounts have yet to be released, are faction specific and jaw-dropping!
    Could you elaborate on this, please? I hope you don't mean you have to be in a faction to have these. >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Could you elaborate on this, please? I hope you don't mean you have to be in a faction to have these. >_<
    Faction as in, Untamed, Elf, or Human.

:P
  • Abbadon - Harshlands
    Abbadon - Harshlands Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    - Designs must incorporate a calendar grid for the month of May, along with the PWI logo and/or the URL of our website.

Perfect, I'll just resubmit last month's design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I predict Two Headed Wyrm? :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Terudrayo - Harshlands
    Terudrayo - Harshlands Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Feeling tingly already.(b:laugh<---me feeling tingly^^)
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    jaeseu wrote: »
    Faction as in, Untamed, Elf, or Human.

:P
    That would be "race specific." :P Not trying to quibble over terms here - it's just that all flying gear is race specific so it's kind of implied. Faction is a totally different thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I predict Two Headed Wyrm? :o

We can hope b:pleased
  • Torhn - Heavens Tear
    Torhn - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Tempting, But I am going to pass for June. I have a busy summer ahead with some projects I promised some friends I would collaborate on. I wish the best of luck to the creative folks of PWI! Looking forward to seeing what you people come up with!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eledyssil - Lost City
    Eledyssil - Lost City Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I havent participated in this event before so now is my first time and
    I have spend so many hours on my entry now I just sent it in.
    Working more on it would probably just ruin in. This is exciting :)
    I bet theres gonna be so many good artists to compete with.
    Not really sure if I should show my entry yet since the contest just started.

I so wish I had a write board, but I did what I could with my old crappy mouse ^^,

Good luck to everyone!
  • BloodFire - Harshlands
    BloodFire - Harshlands Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Tempting, But I am going to pass for June. I have a busy summer ahead with some projects I promised some friends I would collaborate on. I wish the best of luck to the creative folks of PWI! Looking forward to seeing what you people come up with!

Aww but you are so good. You can always crank out a last second masterpiece. <3
  • Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Well, I'm trying super duper hard this month but, I'm doubtful of winning, seems like everyones going hard out to win one of those flying mounts!

I recently did some genie wallpapers you can find in the fanatics forum. So this first entry of mine is sort of a collaboration of those into a calendar. It's far from perfect but I like it.

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv112/SohoVideoMedia/JuneCalendar005.jpg

That's only one, I'll be doing more summery ones and stuff.

I hope the prize is the two headed dragon... I wanna win one for my bf. >_>;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
  • jaeseu
    jaeseu Posts: 420 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    That would be "race specific." :P Not trying to quibble over terms here - it's just that all flying gear is race specific so it's kind of implied. Faction is a totally different thing.
    b:chuckle
    It would've been better if they said race-specific, but I'm pretty sure that's what they meant even if they said faction.

And faction, could mean something else aside from just being a guild.
    "1. A group of persons forming a cohesive, usually contentious minority within a larger group.
    2. Conflict within an organization or nation; internal dissension.
    "

But yeah, I don't wanna get into a deep discussion on this either xD...but I'm just trying to convince ya and anyone else that I'm pretty sure they're still talking about race-specific and not actually a mount that you pass on from person to person in a guild or whatever.
  • Jedentag - Sanctuary
    Jedentag - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Well, I'm trying super duper hard this month but, I'm doubtful of winning, seems like everyones going hard out to win one of those flying mounts!

I recently did some genie wallpapers you can find in the fanatics forum. So this first entry of mine is sort of a collaboration of those into a calendar. It's far from perfect but I like it.

http://i675.photobucket.com/albums/vv112/SohoVideoMedia/JuneCalendar005.jpg

That's only one, I'll be doing more summery ones and stuff.

I hope the prize is the two headed dragon... I wanna win one for my bf. >_>;

Soho, you're awesome! all i see is your very creative posts all over the forum :D and i love your work! you're very brave to be the first to publicise their entry xD gl and gj!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    o.o *stares at his very wordy exam paper*
    that time of year has come >_>

soz guys who wanted that sig b:shutupb:sad
    will have to hold me to it
  • nini09
    nini09 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    hmm, it has to be hand drawn to stand a chance.
  • Daialura - Heavens Tear
    Daialura - Heavens Tear Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Nicely done Soho. ;) Here's my first entry. Nice n summery =P

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu133/daialura/cal_june_09.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Soho, you're awesome! all i see is your very creative posts all over the forum :D and i love your work! you're very brave to be the first to publicise their entry xD gl and gj!

Wow, thank you very much. b:cute

And thanks Daialura, yours is awesome too, good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Cat - Heavens Tear
    Cat - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    its a shame we arent allowed to use the japanese perfect world artwork. They have some of the most beautiful stuff I have ever seen for perfect world. I used this from their wallpapers for my own person calendar for may and I just changed it for june since I like it so much lol.

You cant use it for the contest but anyone who likes it can feel free to use it for the comp.

calendarjunecopy.jpg

Full Size
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada

Didn't anyone tell you that you wanted to sleep with me?!?! I thought you knew....
  • Batgirl_baty - Heavens Tear
    Batgirl_baty - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have a question. When you said send it by june 1st, do you mean, that we have to send it at that very day only or we can send it any time from now to then?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eledyssil - Lost City
    Eledyssil - Lost City Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have a question. When you said send it by june 1st, do you mean, that we have to send it at that very day only or we can send it any time from now to then?

Thats actually a good question. I would like to know the answer to that as well :) But Im pretty positive we can send our submissions whenever we want until June 1st. June 1st is the deadline though.
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Thats actually a good question. I would like to know the answer to that as well :) But Im pretty positive we can send our submissions whenever we want until June 1st. June 1st is the deadline though.

Send away!

They accept entries throughout May, June 1st is just the deadline. :) Just means no entries accepted after June 1st.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Gaho - Sanctuary
    Gaho - Sanctuary Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I actually have a bit of a request for next month's (and future) calendar contest.

With the stock images could you include the little pwe/pwi logo with a transparent background for those of us making custom calendars?

It'd help a ton and I'd greatly appreciate it b:victory
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I actually have a bit of a request for next month's (and future) calendar contest.

With the stock images could you include the little pwe/pwi logo with a transparent background for those of us making custom calendars?

It'd help a ton and I'd greatly appreciate it b:victory

I just tried my best with the one of the site, agreed though! Would be nice. =]

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Yanjing - Heavens Tear
    Yanjing - Heavens Tear Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I need a hand with my entry. Would a lady character who has the bikini fashion be willing to take a ss on the beach at Nightscream Island? You'll have my eternal thanks!
    yay
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I need a hand with my entry. Would a lady character who has the bikini fashion be willing to take a ss on the beach at Nightscream Island? You'll have my eternal thanks!

Send out a world chat, I'm sure you'll get lots of ladies wanting to be the star of your (possibly) winning calendar. xD!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    its a shame we arent allowed to use the japanese perfect world artwork. They have some of the most beautiful stuff I have ever seen for perfect world. I used this from their wallpapers for my own person calendar for may and I just changed it for june since I like it so much lol.

You cant use it for the contest but anyone who likes it can feel free to use it for the comp.

calendarjunecopy.jpg

Full Size

Yeah, there's some really, really nice artwork there but unfortunately it is owned by the Japanese licensors of PW so we can't feature it as PWI content.

ALSO - made some quick edits on some things that you all have pointed out in this thread (may vs. june as well as faction vs. race).

ALSO2 - the deadline to submit valid entries is June 1st, but you can submit earlier if you'd like. multiple submissions are encouraged so start submitting!

thanks! and good luck to all.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    where so i get the perfect world logo/webcite thingy b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool