Pets, numbers, and sorting. Answer to the eternal "What's the best pet?" question !

1234568»

Comments

• Drakyra - Dreamweaver
    Drakyra - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Actually most venos use more than one pet because tank pets cant keep aggro while grinding and arnt fast enough to pull.

personally i used glacial walker until lvl 80 and added a kowlin at 60. then at 80 i kept the kowlin and switched from glacial to armored bear.
  • Nuku_Nuku - Raging Tide
    Nuku_Nuku - Raging Tide Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Actually most venos use more than one pet because tank pets cant keep aggro while grinding and arnt fast enough to pull.

personally i used glacial walker until lvl 80 and added a kowlin at 60. then at 80 i kept the kowlin and switched from glacial to armored bear.
    t a walker holds aggro much better than a bear. i have both at level 83 and the bear takes way too long to get the job done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The many sides of a Venomancerb:victory
  • Queelen - Sanctuary
    Queelen - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I have an Astral Beetle, named Sigmund. It tanks, does a decent damage and it's fairly fast. He's also small which prevents accidents like the pet blocking half of my screen or me accidently clicking on the pet yet again and loosing track of the monster. He looks adorable as well. Jelaous?

I know the Magmites and Walkers are an obvious and easy choice for everyone who dosen't want to sink money into legendary pets but it's getting really boring to see every single Veno with either a lump of rocks or a yellow blob. What happened to the whole "experiment and enjoy" catchphrase for our class?
  • Kaisuni - Harshlands
    Kaisuni - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    As my first time playing as a veno and playing this game, I've read all the forms i could on pets and i have to argue with what most have to say on them..

Here why:

Don't believe in the whole "aim for the greatest" sure I want a tanker but I want something well rounded in stats for a tanker so far I'd went with a volcanic.. handle well when in tight and sticky areas takes good damage and is one of the few "golem" like pets i'v seen used i have the crystal and glaical walker haven't bother to use them... i like my "old" school tanker.

Another tanker or good def with attack is a under used Charing Sable.. it works great for me and if good old golem goes down sable wipes out everything without me having to heal it much. it was great as "starting" pet but still works out in higher levels ( so far up into 30's ) greats..

And as for my DPS pet I have my good ole' sea guardian he got good def and high attack speed with the way my veno works on her magic it quite a pair on taking out numbers of monsters on the playing field. Tho caution when using the the sea guardian he will spaz and go out and kill everything in range... and tend to get into a bit of trouble.

I am still feeling out the field for water and air and i grabbed myself the Foxwing (at level 34 ) and seem to handle it self out well the way I like. Here's where i am going with this sure it nice to know what pets out there "are" the best but if you only aim for that pet and that pet only and from my past in gaming ( like pokemon ) you can get yourself in a world of trouble if you only specialized in one pet all my tankers and ects sit at high level for the just in case which has proved itself useful in many times, sure it be nice to get a herc but it just doesn't suit me and it mostly should come down to pref level not the best... Say like " if you plan on playing this style this is the best top ten pets to go with".. that would be more handy then a over all pets to go by.
  • onedragon9
    onedragon9 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Its not a good thing that only this class can get pets. I also need a pet. But I cant get myself, Help required.
  • mryc
    mryc Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Mystics get summons, which can be treated similary to Veno Pets, but are not as good.

There are also All Class Pets, which don't aid you in battle.

Venos are punished by having nice pets though, 100magic to a veno is like 66magic to any of the other arcane classes.

Going back to the Subject of this post;
    For stats, Shadow Ranger is THE BEST cheap pet to get, even though I don't like how it looks.
    For the Awwwwwww factor, rabbit, cub or puppy
    For the Rich, Herc and Nix
  • Atraieu - Sanctuary
    Atraieu - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I definitely wanna try a Qingfu as a pet.

=)
  • Kanetsidohi - Archosaur
    Kanetsidohi - Archosaur Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    I have a question about rare pets.

Let's say a rare spawns, and no one tame it, whatever the reason, what happens???

The rare keeps strolling around until someone finally tame it, or they vanish after a certain period of time???

b:thanks
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    It will continue roaming until someone tames or kills it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Kanetsidohi - Archosaur
    Kanetsidohi - Archosaur Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    It will continue roaming until someone tames or kills it.

Thanks! That may means to get a frog is out of the question. b:sad
  • yuliaeds
    yuliaeds Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    And where does rare pet go if it was'n killed or tamed? Does it go in circles around a spawn place or somewhere in one direction?

I just had a situation: Came to tame a rare pet but it was a little early for it show up so i didn't expected to see it but there it was. Didn't get this one though and it ran away (I was killed). So in a couple minutes another puppy showed up with means the one I saw earlier was running already for 12 hours. I want to find it now.
  • Retsuko - Heavens Tear
    Retsuko - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,016 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I decided to do a test to compare my phoenix with my mystics storm mistress. I tested by letting them both in turn kill a lvl 75 boss with 2.8m HP. They killed the boss without my interference, except for my heals of course.

What i tested was, how long it took for both to kill that boss mob, and important to note is, my mystic has a r9 +12 wand.

My storm mistress won against the phoenix. Both on damage, and tanking. While my phoenix was constantly getting hit for over 1000 damage, my storm mistress only took about 700 damage from this boss. It took the phoenix 9 minutes and 20 seconds to kill, and mistress took 8 minutes and 35 seconds.

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

playing Faction Wars Again.
  • Fallingshado - Raging Tide
    Fallingshado - Raging Tide Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Well done, I as a veno (Who has been playing for numerous years might I add. b:chuckle) tame a lot of pets. This really helps. You should also do a price chart for them in case some people want to sell them.
  • boza123456
    boza123456 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2012
    How do I get money? b:shocked
  • blanchenoir
    blanchenoir Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    soo... the Glacial walker... is not on the list... means... b:shocked
  • kyouchou
    kyouchou Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    soo... the Glacial walker... is not on the list... means... b:shocked

It means the list is out of date. The list in the first post of this thread, and the post itself as well, has not been updated since 04/2009 (nearly 3 years ago). In other words, the list pre-dates the Raging Tides expansion release and won't have information on the Glacial Walker or other newer pets. My suggestion is to use ecatomb's pet database and keep in mind that the table is not exhaustive, has a level cap of 100, and DPS is calculated as (ATK*APS) and does not take other factor's into account.
  • XSweetLola - Archosaur
    XSweetLola - Archosaur Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    b:surrender Ive not seen the glacia walker mentioned once, has he been taken into account?

I've been told to choose btw a Magmite and a Glacia Walker - and so far got lvl32 Glacia Walker. Where does he fit in the table?

b:thanks
  • arnaldo4455
    arnaldo4455 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    A pet you must have when you reach lvl 70, just for show, is that huge horseman.
  • anhngeo
    anhngeo Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    so i got this phoenix pet but it wont take pure water...it that normal??
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    anhngeo wrote: »
    so i got this phoenix pet but it wont take pure water...it that normal??

token of luck > perfect cookies > profit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Pantherlilie - Archosaur
    Pantherlilie - Archosaur Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    how good would you guys say an antelope sage is? i am asking because i am thinking of using it for magic damage because i have a heavy build and dont use magic.
  • GilgamCly - Raging Tide
    GilgamCly - Raging Tide Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Check out the [Ultimate Pet List] in the PW wiki it is a good place to start.

I'm surprised at the pets that made the lists and also the ones you chose to use.
    I find most pets are a lot less than their mob counter parts, which is totally not fair.
    I see the you did not even include the Glacial Walker which has long standing as equal or better than the Crystal Magmite, even to rival the Herc. You also did not even mention the Baby Phoenix which is one of the best pets in the game.
    I decided from the begining that getting a HErc was a really good idea, I wasn't wrong. I can farm with no worries while the herc argos ant mobs that are threatening me.
    Good water pets were a bit harder to find but when I got to Lv80 I got a Celestrial Pumpfish and added skills to make something workable. The Rustler was a good second choice and is not as annoying as those noisey Unidines.
    As for good flying pets besides the Phoenix I used several at different levels. The Petite Sawfly was the popular choice but I found it hard to keep flyers up to my level. I presently at level 95 use an Edio but have used Foxwing of the Void, Wasp Hivewarder and other different wass and Hornets and Birds.
    I also believe that the Cuddly Pup is the 2nd fastest pet in the game and use him when I'm gathering and grinding many low mobs or doing special luring where speed is needed. The pup is also a good PK pet if equiped with good skills. he is so small and fast opponents have a hard time targeting him if you repeatively attack and recall.
    Also hace the bunny as a Magic tank but have not leveled it yet. I ofter use the low level bunny to tame really low level mobs.
    The first pet I tamed and added skills to was the level 9 Nostrial Bettle King. This pet was slow but a great tank and it came with some good skills. I used this up into my 30s or 40s and often wondered if it would have been good to level even higher but I got my Herc and set the bettle aside.
    There are still a lot of low level mobs, like the ones you find in dungeons that are suitable battle pets in the long run and I have found that the stats do not always tell the whole story about the usefulness of a pet.
    Rise to Become Mighty so on the Wings of the Leviathan We will Soar....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun The frumious Bandersnatch!" He took his vorpal sword in hand: Long time the manxome foe he sought -- So rested he by the Tumtum tree, And stood awhile in thought. And, as in uffish thought he stood, The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!--Poem part by: Lewis Carroll
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I see the you did not even include the Glacial Walker which has long standing as equal or better than the Crystal Magmite, even to rival the Herc. You also did not even mention the Baby Phoenix which is one of the best pets in the game.

This thread dates back to 2009 before the Tideborn expansion so newest pets are not included since they did not exist.
    The figures are also for land and non-range pets only (the OP mentioned it) so the Phoenix is excluded as it's an air pet.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Apostasy - Raging Tide
    Apostasy - Raging Tide Posts: 1,197 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Heres the answer to ALL "which pet is stronger" questions.

1. Hatch Pet Egg.

2. Pull Up Stat Window.

3. LOOK at Green Radar-Looking Screen.

This radar-looking screen is mostly accurate with few exceptions...
    As far as the green toward the middle of the circle means less stat advancement per level...
    The farther toward the outside of that circle the green reaches, the higher the advancement per level that stat goes...
    The Attributes are labelled in a circle around that circle...

4. Compare Radar Screens.

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Arianne - Morai
    Arianne - Morai Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would like to know something nowaday... Is there any pet evolved now that is counted that is better then a phoenix or hercule evolved also? Somes people said to me about glacial because it get deflect once evolved!!!! :O ( which is awesome!! :O )
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There's no pet that becomes better at tanking than Hercules. But the evolved Glacial is pretty good from what I've heard.

Derjan's Hatchling and the scorpions/DarkWonderer, when evolved, do get pretty good DD wise but I don't know how they compare to the Phoenix without the Claw skill.

Harpy is a superior pet for PvE damage and uses (comes with AOE attacks too) compared to the Phoenix. Monkey is superior in PvP compared to the Phoenix.

This is, more or less, where the pets stand. Opinions may differ.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • DeffyNature - Archosaur
    DeffyNature - Archosaur Posts: 1,400 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would like to know something nowaday... Is there any pet evolved now that is counted that is better then a phoenix or hercule evolved also? Somes people said to me about glacial because it get deflect once evolved!!!! :O ( which is awesome!! :O )

Glacial doesn't get deflect once evolved, it gets a self buff for defense levels, and it gets really tanky.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]