Does this violate the ToS

Options
Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
montblanc wrote: »
These are rules that I found that might apply.
# (k) Cheat or utilize unauthorized exploits in connection with the Games or the Service;
# (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players

Would the said scenario above violate these rules?

No more than clerics who start blue ball in zhen parties and go afk watching a movie or something and only come back to replace their HP charms when they are used up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
Post edited by Blancheneige - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    From what I know it isn't really allowed and kinda was considered as botting. You can do it, but you still have to be at keyboard and have to show some in-game activity.

I considered this kind of possibility to train myself and pets, but was assured, that I shouldn't try as it might lead to some unpleasant results :P
  • Niamy - Sanctuary
    Niamy - Sanctuary Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    From what I know it isn't really allowed and kinda was considered as botting. You can do it, but you still have to be at keyboard and have to show some in-game activity.

I considered this kind of possibility to train myself and pets, but was assured, that I shouldn't try as it might lead to some unpleasant results :P

Hiya ^^,
    I dont think just this must be considered botting bcause defense mode is a game funcion and is not an exloit/bug, to be considered boting u must use external programs.

b:bye
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1565254001&dateline=1226478053[/SIGPIC]
    Venomancer 82
    Cleric 55
    Barbarian 32
    Wizard 54
    Believe me when I tell you will not want to test my anger...
  • Damewort - Sanctuary
    Damewort - Sanctuary Posts: 573 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Hiya ^^,
    I dont think just this must be considered botting bcause defense mode is a game funcion and is not an exloit/bug, to be considered boting u must use external programs.

b:bye

That's why I added "kinda" ^^
    I just can't find the topic where something like this was already mentioned (as well about going afk while zhenning)
  • andracil
    andracil Posts: 2,949 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    It is illegal to use any sort of system that allows you to gain exp while you're away. Zhenning is theoretically illegal as well, but only if you actually go away - a lot of people decide to stick around while doing it, so the GM's usually let that slide. This, on the other hand, will be stopped.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Does this mean it's against ToS to go AFK in catshop? Or while healing? How far does this rule reach?
  • andracil
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Catshops don't get you exp. And afk healing, really? You should stay at your comp when healing. >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    You're not gaining exp when you use catshop.

More like zhenning is allowed because it brings PWI money (from charms) and the idea that you have suggested does not benefit PWI.

PS. Haruhi FTW!
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Eh, better to go afk and come back with full health and mana than log off and come back on half dead. And what about surfing the net in window mode? Does that count as AFK in this situation?
  • dieho
    dieho Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    the afk on defense might not be against the rules but using something to hold down a button to loot will probably make it against the rules. that is using a way outside game mechanics to gain an advantage. the afk defense would depend on GM interpretation but no different than afk zhens which happen all the time.
  • andracil
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Afk = Away from keyboard
    Tabbing to another screen = not away from keyboard
    Fairly obvious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Yes, but you're not participating in the game, which is where I was confused. ty
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    err im mosty afk during boss kills with alot of hp...
    or during zhen... just come and check every few min

wierd ToS
  • Sir_walter - Heavens Tear
    Sir_walter - Heavens Tear Posts: 225 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    There have been cases of clerics being banned for afk BB'ing during zhen parties, if a GM happens by and wispers you and you do not answer they will most likely ban you. It would be no different than botting using in game functions.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    There have been cases of clerics being banned for afk BB'ing during zhen parties, if a GM happens by and wispers you and you do not answer they will most likely ban you. It would be no different than botting using in game functions.

wtf.....................
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    wtf.....................

Lol, maybe they don't speak English, didn't notice, has chat options set to not include whispers, or just don't feel like answering? There is no clause in ToS that says you must drop whatever you're doing and answer when someone whispers you.b:sweat
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Lol, maybe they don't speak English, didn't notice, has chat options set to not include whispers, or just don't feel like answering? There is no clause in ToS that says you must drop whatever you're doing and answer when someone whispers you.b:sweat

i hope so >_>
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    andracil wrote: »
    Afk = Away from keyboard
    Tabbing to another screen = not away from keyboard
    Fairly obvious.

how would you even know?
    plus you could be reading a book and checking eveyr few min...
    or does that violate the ToS too?
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

If a GM whispers you, and you didn't whisper them first it's usually a good idea to respond even it it's just a '?".

how would you even know?
    plus you could be reading a book and checking eveyr few min...
    or does that violate the ToS too?

And if they whisper you and you don't respond, what are they supposed to think? That you're simply ignoring them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Options
    If a GM whispers you, and you didn't whisper them first it's usually a good idea to respond even it it's just a '?".

normally you cant even respond since u need their actual name to whisper to them
    and even then idk who gets the message there could be filters and stuff
    edited April 2009
    Options

Of course it's a good idea. That's different than saying that not noticing the chatter box on the lower left corner of the screen, because your attention is focused on actually playing the game, is a bannable offense.
    edited April 2009
    Options
    In the settings for the chat windows, Whispers cannot be disabled for any of the chat regions, and I'd guess that goes for any chat channel created (could be wrong, of course).
    Of course it's a good idea. That's different than saying that not noticing the chatter box on the lower left corner of the screen, because your attention is focused on actually playing the game, is a bannable offense.

It's likely the GM won't simply go "oh, they ignored my whisper, BANHAMMA". Chances are they will send more than one whisper because they probably realize that players actively playing do have other distractions going on, but, at the same time, also realize that if the player does not respond to any whisper at all even though they are seen on all chat windows (cannot be turned off) there is no excuse for them to not be responded to eventually.

normally you cant even respond since u need their actual name to whisper to them
    and even then idk who gets the message there could be filters and stuff

If someone whispers you, all you do is right-click the name of the person who whispered you, and select "whisper".

All chat windows have whispers enabled, and that cannot be changed. Also, Whispers are in purple text.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Options
    In the settings for the chat windows, Whispers cannot be disabled for any of the chat regions, and I'd guess that goes for any chat channel created (could be wrong, of course).

It's likely the GM won't simply go "oh, they ignored my whisper, BANHAMMA". Chances are they will send more than one whisper because they probably realize that players actively playing do have other distractions going on, but, at the same time, also realize that if the player does not respond to any whisper at all even though they are seen on all chat windows (cannot be turned off) there is no excuse for them to not be responded to eventually.

If someone whispers you, all you do is right-click the name of the person who whispered you, and select "whisper".

All chat windows have whispers enabled, and that cannot be changed. Also, Whispers are in purple text.

Not everyone knows that. Andromeda apparently don't. The bottom line is, there's nothing in ToS that says you can't ignore whisper, either intentionally or unintentionally.

As for Whisper cannot be turned off, that's true to every chat region except "General," where, in fact, it's off by default and cannot be turned on.
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    lol i've gotten sleepy while grinding and just go afk at 78. weirdest thing that happened to me once was that when i woke up i was at the complete other end of the map. i was in swamps and now i am at timberfield. i wasnt in squad so it wasn't like i was getting exp for doing nothing. i wonder if a gm could've done that
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options

Er... some of my friends have been having connectivity problems recently. They might be "at their keyboard" but if they have disconnected they can not respond when I whisper to them. (And I believe some of them got experience when they were in our squad, and nearby.)

I hope our GMs have enough tools available so they can recognize when someone has been disconnected.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    You cant reply to a GM's whisper, its looks like this. "GM says to you: bla bla"

"GM" is not his/her character name, so that entire agrument is BS

Banning ppl for being afk is stupid and ridiculous, might as well then start banning ppl for having catshops and going afk. I mean they are gaining millions of coins and not even at their pcs, hows that any different from ganing exp while being afk?

I often thought about the defense mode thing but being arcane build and seeing as the pet only takes on one enemy at a time and ignores subsequent attacks I'll probably die.
    andracil wrote: »
    It is illegal to use any sort of system that allows you to gain exp while you're away. Zhenning is theoretically illegal as well, but only if you actually go away - a lot of people decide to stick around while doing it, so the GM's usually let that slide. This, on the other hand, will be stopped.
    So if im in a squad with a friend and I'm on follow mode while my friend kills mobs and im soundly asleep I can get banned for being afk?
    Kindly point out where in the TOS it sais you need to be staring at your screen at all times while doing things like zhen or leeching or in this case trying to let your pet kill low lvl mobs?
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Er... some of my friends have been having connectivity problems recently. They might be "at their keyboard" but if they have disconnected they can not respond when I whisper to them. (And I believe some of them got experience when they were in our squad, and nearby.)

I hope our GMs have enough tools available so they can recognize when someone has been disconnected.

There's a difference between getting disconnected and what the OP was talking about and/or going AFK duing zhenning which is borderline overlooked most (if not all) of the time from what I've read. Mostly stuff like what the OP was talking about.
    Not everyone knows that. Andromeda apparently don't. The bottom line is, there's nothing in ToS that says you can't ignore whisper, either intentionally or unintentionally.

As for Whisper cannot be turned off, that's true to every chat region except "General," where, in fact, it's off by default and cannot be turned on.

That (General) is a seperate window from the ones that have Whisper automatically enabled and unable to be turned off. And it cannot be re-sized, and it's smaller than the main chat window which makes it irrelevant, I believe.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Options
    So if im in a squad with a friend and I'm on follow mode while my friend kills mobs and im soundly asleep I can get banned for being afk?
    Kindly point out where in the TOS it sais you need to be staring at your screen at all times while doing things like zhen or leeching or in this case trying to let your pet kill low lvl mobs?

It's usually more along the lines of "if you get reported".

And I have talked with GMs in the past via whisper that were in the area. Not everytime a GM whispers you does it come across as "GM secretly speaks to you". If a GM really needs a response, there is a high likelihood they will send a whisper such that it can be replied to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    You wont get banned for going afk while in bubble mode. all you would have to say is you were on the internet watching vids or something.
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Options
    You wont get banned for going afk while in bubble mode. all you would have to say is you were on the internet watching vids or something.
    Id be more scared of archers and wizzys dying accidentally than a GM whisper during afk D=
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
    edited April 2009
    Options
    Could it be that GMs have more important things to do than trying to determine if you're afk, like... you know, running the game?b:chuckle

Aside from that, there have been several accounts of people claiming to have their account **** and stripped. There's also the accidental mass bans recently.
This discussion has been closed.