is pure mag a good build

Guardgodess - Sanctuary
Guardgodess - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
edited April 2009 in Venomancer
i've recently decided to build a veno as a money maker and i was thinking of using 1str 9mag every 2 lvls

i have heard from others and the forum that you can do a lot of damage using this build, and your pet heal will be very good, making is good for solo TT. the lack of pdef doesn't matter as the pet will take care of it all.

i was just wondering is this true.

i know that quite a lot of mobs and bosses can aoe, so will i die a LOT due to this?
also, is it really easy to steal aggro from pet using this build.

if dying frequently using this build, i am considering goin vit.
but how much vit do i need?

thanx in advance

Guard
Post edited by Guardgodess - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Light armor veno ftw b:victory Got a level 67 friend who's gonna switch to it soon. More efficient in a sense, that you could fight a mob while your pet fights another, plus higher crit and accuracy, and better hybrid (fox and human) ability.
  • Deadbone - Sanctuary
    Deadbone - Sanctuary Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i've recently decided to build a veno as a money maker and i was thinking of using 1str 9mag every 2 lvls

i have heard from others and the forum that you can do a lot of damage using this build, and your pet heal will be very good, making is good for solo TT. the lack of pdef doesn't matter as the pet will take care of it all.

i was just wondering is this true.

i know that quite a lot of mobs and bosses can aoe, so will i die a LOT due to this?

if dying frequently using this build, i am considering goin vit.
    but how much vit do i need?

thanx in advance

Guard

In pvp defense will matter, blademasters arent going to chase your pet
    Mobs dont AoE, you will most likely have a cleric with you for bosses that AoE anyway, so dw about it.
    It is extremely easy to take agro away from your pet with any build, but that can be solved by leveling pet skills.
    If you know how to play, you will rarely die. If your skillz arent pro, then maybe vit will help you out. I would just stick with hp gems though
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I mostly use a pure mag. but I was thinking of fox form better LA for that I think.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • mentallaxative
    mentallaxative Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    The pure magic build has the most straightforward and most forgiving stat distribution of the veno builds. Add as much vit as you feel you need as long as you maintain your magic stat at three times your level.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    For his purposes, he's better off putting it at 4xlevel, and putting 5 into vit every 10 levels and capping it at 20-30 vit. At level 50, that gives him 201 Magic, 29 Str, 5 dex, and 30 vitality which is enough str to use the level 50 arcane chest and the level 49 glaive. From there it's simply play "hide behind the walking wall of doom" game, and manage adds and stuff.

Basically, something like this which breaks down to 4 magic every level, and 1 into str one level, and 1 into vit the next or where ever, really.

The strength is the minimum you need to equip the *9 weapon in each bracket.
    Level	Mag	Str	Dex	Vit	||	M Inc	S Inc	D Inc	V Inc
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [b]11	45	10	5	10	||	40	5	0	5[/B]
    [B]19	75	15	5	15	||	30	5	0	5[/B]
    [B]29	116	19	5	20	||	41	4	0	5[/B]
    [B]39	156	24	5	25	||	40	5	0	5[/B]
    [B]49	196	29	5	30	||	40	5	0	5[/B]

If you cannot read the chart, I'll edit it later to make it more readable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blancheneige - Heavens Tear
    Blancheneige - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,494 Arc User
    edited April 2009

Very few mobs/bosses do aoe damage.

Depend of the pet. You'll steal aggro from a low damage dealing pet no matter the build anyway. As for myself, I onlt steal aggro from my golem if I do a critical hit
    if dying frequently using this build, I am considering goin vit.

I'm not dying very often. When I die it's mostly in parties in instances, and I'm seldom the only one to die at that time b:chuckle

<
    level 94 full mag veno
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks Brit for the sig b:laugh
  • Vinat - Sanctuary
    Vinat - Sanctuary Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    personally i think pure magic is the only way to go, other builds defeat the class and make stating and gearing an abortion.
    edited April 2009
    personally i think pure magic is the only way to go, other builds defeat the class and make stating and gearing an abortion.

How do other builds "defeat the class"? I ask because venomancers are not pure casters like wizards and clerics are meaning they (venomancers) have a pure melee form.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    they (venomancers) have a pure melee form.

No they don't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2009
    No they don't.

Um, last I checked Fox Form was physical melee damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2009
    Um, last I checked Fox Form was physical melee damage.

You did not checked well enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You did not checked well enough.

Yes he did.
    b:dirty
    edited April 2009
    Yes he did.

No he did not. Neither did you I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    o.O What the heck are you talking about? Fox form whacks stuff, human form throws stuff. Quite simple.
    edited April 2009
    Fox form whacks stuff, human form throws stuff. Quite simple.

No. You can be fox form and not whack stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Valeriewun - Sanctuary
    Valeriewun - Sanctuary Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I think her opinion is that fox form's purpose is the debuffing skills, not melee damage.

I tend to agree with her; I havent found fox form damage to be worthwhile but I am still a noob and have no idea what its like at higher levels.
  • mbrunestud
    mbrunestud Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    i dont think in fox form you can take on a mob all by yourself even with LA. maybe if you get lucky with leech...but maybe it's also because i am using mob dropped gear at the moment...

Blanche maybe you can elaborate? i thought fox form did physical as well, every spell in fox form too.
    edited April 2009
    No. You can be fox form and not whack stuff.

I can be in human form and not cast attack spells.

I'm going to point out the obvious:

Wood Mastery is on the bottom of the Human form tree

Melee Mastery is on the bottom of the Fox form tree.

Two different masteries: Caster and Melee

Logic says that Venos can go pure melee with Fox Form builds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Valeriewun - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    Melee Mastery is on the bottom of the Fox form tree.

Two different masteries: Caster and Melee

Logic says that Venos can go pure melee with Fox Form builds.
    Your logic is based on an assumption that may be inaccurate. Maybe the melee mastery is just there to give you some DPS while you do the primary fox form role of debuffing and is not actually an indicator that melee damage is the primary function of fox form.

As I said in my prior post, I am not claiming any expertise, just pointing out that your "logical conclusion" is not very sound. Self-fulfilling logic where one assumption proves another is easy to do, but often wrong.
    edited April 2009
    Your logic is based on an assumption that may be inaccurate. Maybe the melee mastery is just there to give you some DPS while you do the primary fox form role of debuffing and is not actually an indicator that melee damage is the primary function of fox form.

As I said in my prior post, I am not claiming any expertise, just pointing out that your "logical conclusion" is not very sound. Self-fulfilling logic where one assumption proves another is easy to do, but often wrong.

And

Fox Wallop
    Befuddling Mist
    Stunning Blow
    Malefic Crush

Are all there just for looks?

Or are those only for "when you are debuffing so you have something to do"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Drsu - Heavens Tear
    Drsu - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I think that it's really up to you whether you think it fits your style of playing or not. Personally for me, I enjoy the pure mage build (I switched over from light armour build so I kinda screwed up my veno a little, lol ^.^''').

Light armour is great because you have higher defense and less chance of getting killed... It's more like the balance between the full fox form type and pure mage type. I like the pure mage though because, since my pet acts as a tank for me I can just focus on having lots of magic to attack faster and deal more damage. But if you don't like having pets then I don't think pure mage is really a good idea... I mean, I'm basically useless without my pet.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Folks, the game is made to be flexible. If you want to make a fox which primarily debuffs, you can. If you want to make a fox which primarily does melee damage, you can. Only when you get to about 85 (I'm guessing) and have enough spirit to max out all your skills does it matter whether the fox is a better at melee or debuffing. Before then, you don't have enough spirit to get everything, so you get the skills which augment the playstyle that suits you.
  • Valeriewun - Sanctuary
    edited April 2009
    And

Fox Wallop
    Befuddling Mist
    Stunning Blow
    Malefic Crush

Are all there just for looks?

Or are those only for "when you are debuffing so you have something to do"?
    Read the skills, they are debuffs.

Fox Wallop - reduces channeling speed.
    Mist - reduce accuracy (Aoe debuff)
    Stun - Stun
    Crush - mana drain.

The question is are they debuffs with a damage component, or are they attacks with a debuff component?

To me the answer depends on if you can out DPS a barb at endgame levels (90+) in fox mode. If not then I call it debuffs with some DPS thrown in, if you can then its DPS with debuffs thrown in. I have no idea which it really is.
  • mastnwm
    mastnwm Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    To me it is simple, fox form is both, you can melee you can debuff, but you don't have to do both... Melee Mastery for normal attacks and for skills, and debuff on the skills that Melee Mastery enhances.

Back to topic though, arcane venomancer is great, nice damage, nice pet heal.

However if you don't want to go light and you want to live in pvp, you might want to check out the heavy/arcane builds for veno when you reach higher levels, what I plan on personally going to at level 80+
    edited April 2009
    Read the skills, they are debuffs.

Fox Wallop - reduces channeling speed.
    Mist - reduce accuracy (Aoe debuff)
    Stun - Stun
    Crush - mana drain.

Ironwood Scarab has an -20% armor debuff. It's obviously a debuff, right?

Lucky Scarab has a chance to stun, it's obviously a debuff, right?

Frost Scarab has a chance to freeze the mob in place, it's definitely only a debuff, right?

No, their purpose is to deal damage primarily with a good utilty debuff on the side.

For a pure arcane veno, fox form is more for the debuffs of the actual debuffs (amp damage, purge etc), and not the short term side-effect debuffs of the Fox Form melee attack skills. I mean, if Befuddling Mist was only for the debuff, then why does my hybrid veno hit for almost 1k with it? If Fox Wallop was only for the increashed channel time, then why does my hybrid veno hit for almost 1k with it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daddym0e
    daddym0e Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Making a pure Mag Veno, but don't see any other way to wear even the robe armor without stating up STR a bit. Is there another armor, magical perhaps, that I can find/buy in-game someplace?
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Go ahead and increase str to what you need to wear arcane armor. The magical weapons have the same str requirement, so you'll need the str anyway once you reach 60. The TT weapons do not have a "reduced requirement" version, so you will need the str to wield them.
  • mentallaxative
    mentallaxative Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Folks, the game is made to be flexible. If you want to make a fox which primarily debuffs, you can. If you want to make a fox which primarily does melee damage, you can. Only when you get to about 85 (I'm guessing) and have enough spirit to max out all your skills does it matter whether the fox is a better at melee or debuffing. Before then, you don't have enough spirit to get everything, so you get the skills which augment the playstyle that suits you.

+++1

Valeriewun, I kill things just fine as a fox. No amount of 'this should be played as this' can change the fact that the attack skills add damage as well as a debuff, making fox form a viable method of playing the game. It may not be faster than slinging green ****, but it gets the job done in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Rikkuheart - Lost City
    Rikkuheart - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Eh I say that if you can kill somthing by smacking in the head a few times...you can meele people. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Doesnt really matter whos right here lol.