Factionless

LadyVvall - Sanctuary
LadyVvall - Sanctuary Posts: 44 Arc User
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
Ok, so we've all seen them...Factionless players, no big deal right? Except people mistake factionless, for noob. Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, some people don't want to join factions? Which of course bring up the !! :o WHY?!! Factions can be helpful, yes, and convenient. We understand that, but we ALSO understand they can be full of useless obnoxious drama. Part of which stems from grudges against other factions. Maybe we want to have friends from all different factions and no one can be mad because we don't have to be "loyal" and not talk to "enemies"
...But yea, kind of subject actually, the reason I'm posting this is because I'm tired of getting spammed with faction invites. I don't mind recieving one from someone, but after I deny it, please for the love of all that is good, do not send me 150 more. I said no once, I'll continue to say no.

Oh and don't be afraid to hate my post, it's ok. Have at it.

Edit : I have tried factions, and guilds, and groups. So please stop acting like I'm just an idiot that is talking about something I have no idea about.
I don't like people. The sooner you can accept that, the sooner we can all go on with our insignificant lives.
Post edited by LadyVvall - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Ok, so we've all seen them...Factionless players, no big deal right? Except people mistake factionless, for noob. Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, some people don't want to join factions? Which of course bring up the !! :o WHY?!! Factions can be helpful, yes, and convenient. We understand that, but we ALSO understand they can be full of useless obnoxious drama. Part of which stems from grudges against other factions. Maybe we want to have friends from all different factions and no one can be mad because we don't have to be "loyal" and not talk to "enemies"
    ...But yea, kind of subject actually, the reason I'm posting this is because I'm tired of getting spammed with faction invites. I don't mind recieving one from someone, but after I deny it, please for the love of all that is good, do not send me 150 more. I said no once, I'll continue to say no.

Oh and don't be afraid to hate my post, it's ok. Have at it.

Before none of them wanted you, now they need you.
  • LadyVvall - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    Oh, no this has happened since I was lvl 10. It has just gotten worse is all.
    I don't like people. The sooner you can accept that, the sooner we can all go on with our insignificant lives.
  • King_Solomon - Heavens Tear
    King_Solomon - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,341 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    all factions need clerics desperately but few are worth the commitment implied. it's a matter of giving AND taking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you're willing to join another online game do NOT join any hosted by K2 NETWORK. Want to know why? Check BBB complaints.
  • LadyVvall - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    I understand that, but I want people to understand I don't want to join a faction. I will help who ever whenever they need it, but if I say no, it means no.
  • Lady - Harshlands
    Lady - Harshlands Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I have never assumed that someone is a noob because they are factionless. I agree that being spammed with invites is annoying. But not all factions are the way you describe either, some don't play the grudge game and deal into that nonsense. If you want to be factionless, go for it. If your siggy is accurate and you don't want to like people in general, go for it, just be prepared for people not to like you either.
  • SilverTease - Heavens Tear
    SilverTease - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    i'm guessing you had some bad experiences with guilds/factions before... i can understand you wanna be guildless, but you don't have to blame all factions cause of that. Not all have "enemies" and not all ask for loyalty til the end of time. I'd give it a try with some factions if i were you, at least to avoid being spammed with invites b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Attitude Marshal ~
    b:pleased I love my Neph b:pleased
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    About time I saw someone else ranting about this.

I recognize the use for factions... it reinforces the "community" aspect of any MMO. Particularly for those who don't have, shall we say, much of a social life offline, smaller guilds/factions act like a nice "family." I've actually had the word "family" thrown at me in faction invites, as if I was some poor orphan who'd been deprived of a vital component for life. But in general, I have nothing against the smaller factions, as long as their officers are mature and run the group well.

But then there are the "elite" factions (using the word "elite" extremely loosely). The ones for whom TW = life and killing world bosses isn't an impossibility or even a special occasion, it's just "Tuesday." I've had a few invites from TW factions in the last month or two, mostly since I hit 60. I just look forward to the day when I'm 80-90+ and Radiance and Enrage are begging me to join. :P Oh wait, they won't, will they... they're too "good" to beg, and I'm just some silly peasant with no interest in TW.

Yeah, I don't care if your faction craps coins and lv9 soulgems. Leave me to my grinding money. The day I give a damn about ridiculous amounts of money in a virtual economy which will inevitably disappear someday, is the day I consider myself to have lost all semblance of a life.

As far as "loyalty" and "enemies," well, to me that just falls under immature leadership, and that faction should be avoided regardless of whether they're small-time or big-time.

OP, you should take pride in refusing faction invites. :P You're making a statement, if only to yourself, that you won't endorse their bull. The good ones will understand. The ones that don't understand, or put you down for it, wouldn't be worth joining even if you were interested.

Freelancing ftw! :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Solution: goto the faction npc in arch and make a faction called "imemyself" and live happily ever after.

I will never understand players that would rather play solo, never join factions and just do their own thing, but I guess thats ur choice.
  • Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    About time I saw someone else ranting about this.

I recognize the use for factions... it reinforces the "community" aspect of any MMO. Particularly for those who don't have, shall we say, much of a social life offline, smaller guilds/factions act like a nice "family." I've actually had the word "family" thrown at me in faction invites, as if I was some poor orphan who'd been deprived of a vital component for life. But in general, I have nothing against the smaller factions, as long as their officers are mature and run the group well.

Freelancing ftw! :P

Obviously I can't say what sort of factions have sent you these invites, but I know I am very close to all my members, provided they are not brand new members, as it takes time. We are a small faction, like the type you are...."describing" above. I can tell you though that I hardly feel as if any of my members are "deprived orphans" who couldn't possibly survive outside the faction. In actuality, most of my members had planned on never joining a faction. Not all, but most. I see nothing wrong with being freelance and doing your own thing. However, not all of us use the word family as loosely as others do.

As a side note, I know none of them are deprived of a social life as well lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Solution: goto the faction npc in arch and make a faction called "imemyself" and live happily ever after.

I will never understand players that would rather play solo, never join factions and just do their own thing, but I guess thats ur choice.

Usually people who solo have a cocky attitude way worse than anyone in my guild atleast. If I see a high lvl with no guild tag and I ask them to join most the time I get ignored. They don't even give me a reason or a simple "no" or anything.

They think they are better than everyone else for some reason. They feel that they have a life outside of the game noone in guilds could possibly understand. But in reality, they play for the same reasons as folks in guild.

PRO!
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Is it that hard to understand that someone can play this game casually? That we don't have so much of our lives invested in it that we can fail to care about this particular aspect of the community (protip: you can take part in the community without being in a faction)?

Or maybe that we have offline friends who play with us? I have a group of offline friends I play with, and we basically serve the same purpose as a faction. We were helping one of our own kill the pyrogolths at King's Feast last night, and one faction leader approached us and asked why we weren't in a faction. We explained, at which point he suggested we make our own faction. Why? Why spend the 100k? Why have people inquiring about our psuedo-faction?

Nothing against you, my friend. Just thought I'd help you understand. :)

EDIT:
    They think they are better than everyone else for some reason. They feel that they have a life outside of the game noone in guilds could possibly understand. But in reality, they play for the same reasons as folks in guild.
    If you really presume all this from just not getting a response to your faction invite, I think that says more about your attitude towards this game than theirs. You simply cannot presume these things. We get so many damn faction invites that it gets irritating to respond to them all sometimes. I try to respond to them most of the time, but I can totally understand those that do not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • Amy_Nailo - Lost City
    Amy_Nailo - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I'm just like you, factionless and happy about it. I feel your pain about mass invites though. I even had to use the GM button once because someone was inviting me to his faction every second. This is the part I hate the most, if you want to invite me, at LEAST say hi to me and ask me directly. Don't use the "Invite to Faction" button everytime you see a random factionless person.

All you need is a good friend list, and you don't have to bother about being loyal, you won't feel forced to help someone of you faction "because you have to" and you probably won't get on any KoS list (lol).
    Usually people who solo have a cocky attitude way worse than anyone in my guild atleast. If I see a high lvl with no guild tag and I ask them to join most the time I get ignored. They don't even give me a reason or a simple "no" or anything.

PRO!
    You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. People can ignore you for whatever reason they want, no matter if you invited them to a guild or if you asked them about weather. It doesn't make them cocky, or thinking they are better. What I hate, is people that starts the conversation by "Wanna join my guild ?". These are the people I tend to ignore / just say blatant no then ignore them.

- Amy
    edited March 2009
    Is it that hard to understand that someone can play this game casually? That we don't have so much of our lives invested in it that we can fail to care about this particular aspect of the community (protip: you can take part in the community without being in a faction)?

Yeah you're better than everyone in a guild. We understand.
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    if ur not in a faction

chances are, you don't do as many TT
    you don't do as many FBs
    you don't do TWs
    you don't do team PKs

= you're noob.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
    Enrage - We Eat.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    See, this is exactly what I see as a problem. Why do you presume that factionless = elitist? I certainly don't think that way about you... I'm sure there are quite a few elitists in the world of faction play, but I never presume elitism until I see proof of it.

Apparantly, wanting to be left alone and not respond to half a dozen faction invites per hour = elitism. Well damn, I've been doing it wrong then haven't I? -_-
    if ur not in a faction

you don't do as many FBs
    you don't do TWs
    you don't do team PKs
    We'll live. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Amy_Nailo - Lost City
    Amy_Nailo - Lost City Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Shut up and leave the thread. Also learn to read that people are REALLY writing.

- Amy
  • Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    if ur not in a faction

you don't do as many FBs
    you don't do TWs
    you don't do team PKs

= you're noob.

LOL!

I've seen many factions that don't do TW either... and I always get quite a kick out of it when someone on a PvE server brings up PK/PvP like it's important... ;)

Personally, I think if you find a faction you're happy in, whether they TW or Team PK on a PvE server (lol) or not, then great! If you have more fun being factionless and get more out of the game (after all, this IS a game meant for FUN, not actual world domination) that way, that's also great! I prefer being in a faction myself as I get bored to tears without one, but like anything else it all comes down to what you, the player, wants.

And don't get worked up about being called/considered a noob. It's generally the ones calling others noobs that are the ones missing the point. lol
  • Salvia - Heavens Tear
    Salvia - Heavens Tear Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Not being in a faction certainly doesn't mean you're a noob. I was never in a faction until I was level 65 or so. Hehe, and that's a faction that only me and my best friend are in because we got sick of the 'annoying' continuous faction invites we got every time we logged on.

Just because you choose not to be in a faction doesn't mean you can't get things done. After all that's why you have friend's lists and all the helpful people here on Perfect World. It's easy enough to get a squad together to do fbs/TTs/bosses and what not.

Whether you choose to be in a faction is up to you of course. I wouldn't listen to the bickering about factionless people being noobs. As long as you're having fun on the game you shouldn't worry. ^.^
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=968287001[/SIGPIC]
    ________Evil is calling her name. . .and she is answering________
    _____________________"Take me away."____________________
  • SilverTease - Heavens Tear
    SilverTease - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    if ur not in a faction

you don't do as many FBs
    you don't do TWs
    you don't do team PKs

= you're noob.

ROFL!!! You do have a point there. Whenever i recruit someone and i ask them what are they looking for in a faction i always get the same answer : help, fb, tt.

I've read all posts in this thread and still can't understand why some players would rather give up all the advantages a community can offer. Also, can't understand why all factions are being judged as equal with kos lists and so on... No one will force you to help a guild mate, and no one will blame you for not helping. Take the "offline friends party" as example... just that you have a larger party to help you when you need it, and you don't depend on 3-4 players, but you have a lot more players online at all times. Why deny that option from start???
    b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Attitude Marshal ~
    b:pleased I love my Neph b:pleased
  • Hisui - Heavens Tear
    Hisui - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,369 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    What I mean is... if I have to choose between 2 players to join my strong, leet guild where

player A who is lvl 85 with no guild history

vs

player B who is lvl 75 who was in an active guild.

Of course I'd pick player B. The second player is obviously more social and more experienced in the game. This is afterall, a team game. I respect players who choose not to join guilds. However, in my eyes they are still "newbies," who have yet to enjoy what most of this game has to offer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    私の番ですよ。- Sig by Symour

Check out ForsakenX 's sig thread O_O
    Enrage - We Eat.
  • Rustie - Heavens Tear
    Rustie - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I understand your agrivation, I finally broke down and joined a faction only weeks later to have it basicaly fall apart, except .. ME!
    Now im alone, but with the added bonus of having a worthless faction name
    over my head.
    But I dont get random invites any longer. <cheers>
  • Flickerfae - Sanctuary
    Flickerfae - Sanctuary Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I agree with the original poster. I'm naturally a very shy, fairly independent person, so factions didn't appeal to me so much.

For about 30 levels, whenever I got an invite, I gave the same reply: "I'm not very active; I tend to play in spurts." Generally it's true; I may be sick to death of this game next week, but then want to dive back into it two months from now.

But then one guild said, "ok, that's not a problem. Join anyway." And I did. Not only does it have that whole community aspect and give me a trustworthy squad when I need to take down a boss, but it also means I get no more ninja faction invites.

I'm just saying I can definitely understand the OP's annoyance. I suggest joining a more casual faction. There's no need to be a Gung-ho TWer just so people stop asking you to join them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Ignoring my main for alts since early '09
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2009
    Take the "offline friends party" as example... just that you have a larger party to help you when you need it, and you don't depend on 3-4 players, but you have a lot more players online at all times. Why deny that option from start??? b:surrender
    Guess I should field this one since I was the one who referenced the offline friends party. XD

I'm not denying that you have a point here. A group of 20 or 50 or even 100 players can be better than half a dozen... depending on what you want. If I ever did decide to join a faction, I'd prefer 20 people I knew semi-well and got along with rather than 100, half of which I've never met even online. My point is that different players have different likes and dislikes in how small or close-knit they want their "family" to be.

I came from a game in which I played with practically no one offline. All my friends were online, and I depended on them for help in many ways (despite this particular game not having any built-in guild system; guilds at all on that game were just silly). I don't regret my time on that game, nor any of the friends I made on it.

But PWI is just a different kind of experience for me. I had half a dozen friends playing it, so I joined. That's it. If the PWE company went under tomorrow and the servers were all taken down for good, it wouldn't faze me in the least because all the friends I play with, I can see every day in person without the aid of PWI. I prefer it this way. I treat PWI as an extension of a social life I already have, not a substitute for or even a supplement to one.

But I don't explain all this to the random "why are you not in a faction?" people. I just say "because I'm cool like that." And usally I get an "lol" back. :P

*ducking out of this thread for now* XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • LadyVvall - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009
    i'm guessing you had some bad experiences with guilds/factions before... i can understand you wanna be guildless, but you don't have to blame all factions cause of that. Not all have "enemies" and not all ask for loyalty til the end of time. I'd give it a try with some factions if i were you, at least to avoid being spammed with invites b:laugh

Ok reading over what I wrote I realize I left something out, what I was trying to type was "SOME people mistake factionless...etc etc" so..I will apologize for that one ^.^
    edited March 2009
    Lol @ all the complaining in this thread. I seriously doubt a lv 64 and 66 on the old server are getting these "OmFg MassIVe InViteSSSS 24/SEVEN!11!1". You probably aren't even geared properly.

Bottom line...if you don't want invites then you can turn it off in the options. Problem solved.

And for the most part, guilds that keep the drama going never last long. With the biggest guilds, there is ALWAYS going to be SOMETHING going on though. Thats just part of the game, you can't always control the drama that goes on. But the benefits of being in a big faction outwiegh the negatives. You all would know that if you guys took the time to try it out instead of generalizing.
  • LadyVvall - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009

I am applauding. At least someone understands my point. And to the girl who told me to be prepared for people not to like me back....If I don't like people, why would I give a rats rear end if they liked me or not? See...yea... there you go.
    edited March 2009
    I And to the girl who told me to be prepared for people not to like me back....If I don't like people, why would I give a rats rear end if they liked me or not? See...yea... there you go.

Thats ok. Continue playing on a pve server.

boring.
  • LadyVvall - Sanctuary
    edited March 2009

Or maybe that we have offline friends who play with us? I have a group of offline friends I play with, and we basically serve the same purpose as a faction. We were helping one of our own kill the pyrogolths at King's Feast last night, and one faction leader approached us and asked why we weren't in a faction. We explained, at which point he suggested we make our own faction. Why? Why spend the 100k? Why have people inquiring about our psuedo-faction?

Nothing against you, my friend. Just thought I'd help you understand. :)

EDIT:

If you really presume all this from just not getting a response to your faction invite, I think that says more about your attitude towards this game than theirs. You simply cannot presume these things. We get so many damn faction invites that it gets irritating to respond to them all sometimes. I try to respond to them most of the time, but I can totally understand those that do not.

Well at least I give a reason, I just simply say I don't join factions thank you anyway. I'm not cocky I just prefer to be on my own.
  • Bobncut - Sanctuary
    Bobncut - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Bottom line...if you don't want invites then you can turn it off in the options. Problem solved.

Did they change the interface? Last time I checked, you could check to ignore squad invites and trade requests but not faction invites. If they have fixed this silly oversight, then hooray.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I get no more ninja faction invites.

That's funnyb:laughb:victory