Endgame money-making?

Miugre - Heavens Tear
Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
So right now, I feel a little bit disillusioned by the whole concept of money progression I had at a low level. Specifically, that high levels are rolling in virtual coin and that buying that Flawless Garnet to add some trippy glowing rings to your +5 Lv80something molded weapon was just a minor expense.

How? Well, I figured the magical Twilight Temple would do it for them, or possibly the Cube of Fate. Having gone into TT1-1 solo and proceeding about a room and a half before being handed my **** on a silver platter, I soon realized that the only sane way to get my TT60 weapon in any reasonable definition of "soon" was to simply buy the Broken Drums for it.

So I did, and that combined with the cost of my Transcendant-level skills has left me with about 400-something thousand coins and a sinking feeling that maybe the endgame isn't as rosy as it seems to be. Suddenly buying a super cage for my new veno, CS wings for my gf and I, and even the mats for my TT70 weapon and interesting armor seem pretty far off.

Let's assume for a moment that we have an average character, and let's assume this character is not a veno who can possibly solo TT and tame many rare or all-class pets for coins. How does the average character make enough money to keep up with the demands of the endgame?

Thought 1: "Do TT more efficiently than blowing an Ultimate Substance on a solo attempt."

I dunno... I heard squad TT was harder than solo. How many items does the average boss drop (the database says about a 33% chance of dropping things such as Broken Drum)? If each character has to use a Ultsub to go in, is the cost of them really repaid? Or would I make more of a profit just selling Ultsubs for 55k-ish?

Thought 2: "Grind. Grind like lives are for chumps."

The last time I had a serious grind session, it was level 59 and I was trying to rush towards 60 with an esoterica. I picked Foxwing Supremes and made about 90k in DQs and random drops in the space of that hour. Not bad, really. But it'll definitely get boring.

Thought 3: "...maybe these people just spend tons of money on gold and sell it?"

I still don't intend on spending real money on this game... not unless specific items come out and I don't have the coins to buy them otherwise. I still feel like I'm helping the game economy enough by giving others reason to purchase gold. But now I wonder... how far do you get without spending real money in this game?

So basically... I'm asking for some kind of wisdom from high-levels on how they make money. What works and what doesn't?

...and/or, would anyone care to take a TT newb archer on a run or two and promise a fair share of the drops? -_-
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
Post edited by Miugre - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Misstaken - Heavens Tear
    Misstaken - Heavens Tear Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Heres a tip.
    Close ur account and go do something else.
    I used to do drugs, I still do but I used to too.
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    i just grind like hell until i level which is when i go to dreamweaver and farm like hell :P
  • Kazue - Heavens Tear
    Kazue - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Some advice. Your an archer, that pretty much guarantee that you won't get a fair or close to a fair share in any TT party. Learn to deal with it, we all have. In the long run, it might actually be easier to just buy the mats.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Heres a tip.
    Close ur account and go do something else.
    Not sure if this is joking or what... or what in my original post implied that I was taking this game too seriously. I play this pretty casually, actually. Just wondering. Maybe I forgot to use my [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags around some of it. :)
    Some advice. Your an archer, that pretty much guarantee that you won't get a fair or close to a fair share in any TT party. Learn to deal with it, we all have. In the long run, it might actually be easier to just buy the mats.
    So are you saying there's no kind of consensus among players that TT loot should ever be divided fairly? Or is it just a "tanks and clerics have to buy charms so they should get the drops and you're useless" kind of thing? Maybe TT is basically just an endgame playground meant for blowing money? :P

I can accept that, if it is. I can accept that I need to work through other methods to get money for what I need/want. I'm just wondering what creative solutions others use. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • DeOso - Lost City
    DeOso - Lost City Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I can accept that, if it is. I can accept that I need to work through other methods to get money for what I need/want. I'm just wondering what creative solutions others use. :P

I feel you on that one man. Before 60+, I had the impression that money was really gonna start rolling in once I started doing TT's, but that was a false assumption.

Now I'm just farming mats, like I've always done... It doesn't get you money extremely fast, but it will get you money.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I just grind and make many, many millions per level selling my drops to NPCs.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I just grind and make many, many millions per level selling my drops to NPCs.

Maybe not many millions for me yet, but I'm getting there.
  • Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear
    Kingpiccolo - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Merchant. At higher levels if you really want to get good stuff you either grind a lot or farm TT with a party who can do it with you often. The other alternative is to merchant which becomes significantly easier at higher levels. Let's say you make 90k a hour grinding, do that for a few hours until you get 500k or so, that is plenty of money to start merchanting with, buy a 350k charm, sell it for 400k. Keep your eye out for good deals here and there, you'll find your self rich in no time if done consistently. I personally have made 15m so far from just casual merchanting for about 2 months. It's only like 250k a day but it adds to my money I get from grinding or other profitable activities.
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    you know I'd like to point out your sig: "I have no interest in factions and no interest in PvP. No invites, please."
    If you have no interest in factions and choose to go thru the game as a hermit you should have rolled a veno. Archers are designed to be used in groups.

The archers I've been with in TT got their fair share of drops, even a couple of mirages can net you a 100k or so in a run.

Honestly the "best" way to make money I'd say is to spend the entire day in west arch with two computers. Run around on one char and find all the cheapest things that are popular buys and then resell then on the other char for a little more. Its the oooold saying of "it takes money to make money".

Finally, join a faction. Look at radiance, they earn 200million coins per week. Surely some of that money is going to the benefit of their members. TW doesn't need to be a personal vendetta or fueled by anger/revenge, lots of guilds do it simply because its fun. Of course 10mil a week is pretty handy also.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    squad mode TT, and as an archer grind for coins,
    youll be wanted in TT if you raise your sharpened tooth arrow and know how to use your stun in emergencies, never hurts to farm usub mats and have em handy, or hell sell for profit
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    you know I'd like to point out your sig: "I have no interest in factions and no interest in PvP. No invites, please."
    If you have no interest in factions and choose to go thru the game as a hermit you should have rolled a veno. Archers are designed to be used in groups.
    You know I'd like to point out how hilarious it is that people assume that factionless = hermit. ;) Is it really that amazing for people to have a group of offline friends which they play this game with? I may not get several million a week from a faction, but my offline group serves every other role a faction does, sans drama.

Also, I can solo anywhere except in dungeons/TT (where only a Veno can really solo anyway). When I can't, the above mentioned group fills in the gaps.
    youll be wanted in TT if you raise your sharpened tooth arrow and know how to use your stun in emergencies, never hurts to farm usub mats and have em handy, or hell sell for profit
    Hm. I always upgrade my stun but not the sharpened tooth, although I'm sure it could be handy on the bosses as an opener. Seeing as sharpened tooth is a relatively recent skill it'll be extremely expensive to upgrade. Ehh.

How is "using stun in emergencies" defined? :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    How is "using stun in emergencies" defined? :P

Archer stun is not as great as a bm stun. But a timed aim low could save a veno's life when a lure goes wrong.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • Fallenangelx - Heavens Tear
    Fallenangelx - Heavens Tear Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    first thing i maxed out was stun, aim low and sharpened tooth for tt runs, (for own safety maxed out winged shield).

its true that archers are not exactly needed in tt runs but if u find urself a group of friends which you say u have, u can just complete the runs with them and split it however you guys want. alot of people are lookin for tt runs thru world chat, so u mite wanna start payin attention to them (although they mostly need clerics and barbs).

for my mats in tt60, my old guild was really supportive back then and did the runs for me and just gave me the mats when i tagged along in the tt runs. but since the guild is broken up and i joined a bigger guild, believe it or not, its still hard to get tt mats. i bought half of the mats for the weapon and tt runned the others that are easier. mats like forshura's armor takes forever in squad mode so might as well save yourself some time and deaths and buy them instead.
  • Kitsuneaki - Sanctuary
    Kitsuneaki - Sanctuary Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    make a lv 10 veno and try ur hand at catching the rare frogling pet b:chuckle ive been trying to get coins for force, my husband has a veno. Ive noticed if u stop worring about money and just put 10k(or more) in the bank whenever u can, u will save alot of coins n_n bought him 6.1k force in the last week b:victory just do ur quests and grind like u always do. I havent even been in TT yet b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    6X Sin on RT
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Archer stun is not as great as a bm stun. But a timed aim low could save a veno's life when a lure goes wrong.
    Yeah, that one I need to upgrade, I believe it's around level 4 or 5 right now. :P

I've been prioritizing stun arrow and deadly shot right now (yes, I realize the latter serves little purpose in groups, that's just my personal indulgence/soloing skill). I also have... hm...

Frost Arrow 8
    Blazing Arrow 10
    Stun Arrow... 6? 7? Whichever has 70% effectiveness...
    Aim Low 4 or 5ish
    Winged Shell, I think 7
    Wings of Protection 5
    and Bow Mastery 5.

Most of my others are not above 3 (except Quickshot which I maxed awhile back for wraith fights, and Take Aim which is at... I think 6, but neither of those are important). I'd give more to Aim Low, Winged Shell and Wings of Protection if I could spare the coin (it's the coin I have a problem with now, not spirit).
    its true that archers are not exactly needed in tt runs but if u find urself a group of friends which you say u have, u can just complete the runs with them and split it however you guys want. alot of people are lookin for tt runs thru world chat, so u mite wanna start payin attention to them (although they mostly need clerics and barbs).
    I'm actually tied for highest among my group so that'll take a while, but the watching-WC thing I have considered. One of the benefits of not being in a faction is that I've used the "faction chat" filter for a custom filter which includes squad chat, WC and PMs only. :)
    make a lv 10 veno and try ur hand at catching the rare frogling pet
    Eh, with all the drama surrounding those these days I'm not likely to get one. But I'll probably try anyway (which reminds me, I need to update my sig XD).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Tryangle - Lost City
    Tryangle - Lost City Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    The single best way to make money is to pk red-named people that don't have dolls or bound equipment. The hard part is finding those people.

TT runs are very profitable if you find a good group that splits all the mats evenly. I haven't done anything above HH70, but the average runs on those make about 300k per person, and it only costs about 16k per person for the ults.
  • Ence - Lost City
    Ence - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    By the way, TT 1-1 requires no US. :) Neither does 2-1.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear
    Smexxyfox - Heavens Tear Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    thats party mode ence, in solo mode u need substs
  • Zanko - Lost City
    Zanko - Lost City Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I think farming mats to make Ultimate Substances or FB Wines then sell them would be a good way to obtain profit.

Zanko~
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    and it only costs about 16k per person for the ults.

It cost 16k for you, a cleric needs to spend a fortune buying a charm so they can hold their bb up(potions can't be used quickly enough).

The fastest way to make money is grinding. Upon hitting 60 I noticed the amount of money I was making go up by at least 1/3. Hitting 70 I notice myself buying level 10 skills and still maintaining that 1~2m area in coin(and level 10 isn't cheap). Those dq items begin to be worth a fortune if you know where to grind(even though I don't grind outside of quest, I make enough to get me to the next level on crazy stone while still holding that 1~2m coin area).

I'm happy with my amount of coin, it goes up every time I attend a Wraith invasion and a decent hh group. If you're in Heaven's Tear, try to avoid Sanctuary guild members, that was a big loss for me, losing almost 8 mats to their scamming members. Damn squad members don't listen. I left with the 2 I got. On average, if I find a nice group(I try to give mats to those who need them, while keep at least 1 to make up for the massive amount of mp I need to use), I might be able to make a good 100k-1m(which is good enough to make up for that bronze charm I bought to get me through that hh).

Joining a good faction that does territory wars and owns land is a good way to make money once you hit 6x, because now you're useful. You could probably kill me in 1 hit with a nicely timed skill, assuming I don't see you first and use plume shell(priest ftw).

This falls into the above option, joining a good faction and killing daily-world bosses. You may think people just "get enough coin" to afford those fancy flawless gems - wrong. Often enough, their guild hunts power bosses found around the map that drop things worth millions, and more than one at that. Look at the database, you'll find bosses in common areas that drop perfect gems, those are worth damn near 2 million coin, and some bosses are known to drop 3.

Lastly, as said before, merchanting. Yes, it's utterly boring and takes the determination and patience of a turtle, but it gets you somewhere in the end. Buy high-demand items(charms, telecoustics, fashion items, green and gold mats, molds) in bulk for a low price, then sell them for more.
  • DevilCrys - Heavens Tear
    DevilCrys - Heavens Tear Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I think your just lazy dude.

And your point bout you soloing stuff outside of TT/Dungeons that venos cant? I'd like the list cuz venos can solo ALOT more stuff then archers can.

And if you watch the WC *Seeking 1 DD for TT* ect, go to them. If they turn out as nice people during the run or even before just ask whats the loot share going to be. Grind for hours and merchant like that one guy mentioned, It helps alot in the long run.

Factionless is your first failure if you want coins, Alot of clans do TT runs for there members = Saved cash. Need a boss done? Save 10-30k from spamming WC asking for help = Saved cash. It will also be alot more fair share loot in Faction ran TTs due to the clans policy (unless they are complete morons that give everything to barb/cleric, If thats the case jus bring few MP pots n tell them you wont waste charm for 60k worth of mirages) Start thinking smart and saving money, You bought super cage for your veno.. Smart idea.. NOT..If you have money to spare fine w.e but seems like you dont and are worried bout not having cash.. So dont go spending cash or cashshopping for your alt n ur lil gf. Instead, take that 14 - 30 gold or w.e n buy gaurdian angels/telecoustics/training scrolls and that stuff and merch it off more then boutique price, then take that money made n go to shops n buy cheap stuff n sell for more. Also at your level, farm the mats around you (herbs ect) and sell it over night when you've collected a fair ammount, You'll make a fair ammount. Also for an archer, PICK UP ALL COIN Drops because by the time you've finnished that grind session/quest you've prob made all your bolts/arrows/shots w.e back if not atleast 60% of them unless your using the max u can for that bow or w.e. Start thinking cheaper but still smarter (dont buy npc gear), and around level 80s APPARENTLY you can grind 1-2m an hour(Rumour I heard) and as an archer you got phys n magic res so you got alot more grinding options (you can fight magic based mobs if you got decent mage resist) ect ect

In the end - stop being lazy, From 1-40 my archer made 4m in DQs/fb19s/the odd grinding. 'Its to hard omg' - The end.
  • chiikk0
    chiikk0 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    It is possible to become rich without using real money in this game.. im lvl 65 and i have about 11M in my bank. Ive played lots of MMORPG games before and i have experience with these games (diablo 1&2), they all have one thing in common, if you want to become rich you gotta know what your customers want, kinda have to become a business man and find out whats selling and whats good for trading. Now if you say you dont have time or are too lazy or its boring then.. you already know the answer why you suck at the game lol. Of course this is if you want to be good/elite in this game. If you just care about having fun and fooling around then of course you wont make $ and just be your average player.

I wont tell you exactly how i made this much money because then everybody is gonna do it. Alot of us already do it. But remember find out what the economy is in demand in your server and then go from there.. ;)
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Grind, grind, grind, grind, grind or make a pure arcane pve veno with a golem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Grind, grind, grind, grind, grind or make a pure arcane pve veno with a golem.

Hercules > Golem b:laugh
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Well you have to save up for the herc first somehow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    I haven't quite decided how seriously I'm going to play my veno, though. :P She'll definitely be a source for cash, but I don't plan to involve myself much in the whole 12h spawns drama, so best case scenario might be Lv75 and selling off huggy hares. :P Also, she won't be pure arcane and won't use a golem. XD

If you haven't noticed, my whole policy is "take established convention, experiment with it, and then laugh like hell when other people rage at you for it." ;) And yeah, this means I won't have the "best" characters, but I won't lose any sleep over it. Quite frankly, it's all worth it to see replies like this:
    DevilCrys wrote:
    You bought super cage for your veno.. Smart idea.. NOT..If you have money to spare fine w.e but seems like you dont and are worried bout not having cash.. So dont go spending cash or cashshopping for your alt n ur lil gf. Instead, take that 14 - 30 gold or w.e n buy gaurdian angels/telecoustics/training scrolls and that stuff and merch it off more then boutique price, then take that money made n go to shops n buy cheap stuff n sell for more.
    I love how you try a cheap insult on us and suggest that I completely abandon the reason I want the money in the first place in the same breath. XD I mean yeah, you have some decent points, but are the insults really necessary?

My apologies if I seem like some ameteur troll, that's totally not intended. :) I just can't help but laugh when people go insane over the fact that I won't join a faction / do PvP / have a goal of getting nice stuff that doesn't actually serve a big purpose in battle. I ask for money making advice and I get critiques on my motivation for it. Hmm. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
    edited February 2009
    I haven't quite decided how seriously I'm going to play my veno, though. :P She'll definitely be a source for cash, but I don't plan to involve myself much in the whole 12h spawns drama, so best case scenario might be Lv75 and selling off huggy hares. :P Also, she won't be pure arcane and won't use a golem. XD

If you haven't noticed, my whole policy is "take established convention, experiment with it, and then laugh like hell when other people rage at you for it." ;) And yeah, this means I won't have the "best" characters, but I won't lose any sleep over it. Quite frankly, it's all worth it to see replies like this:

I love how you try a cheap insult on us and suggest that I completely abandon the reason I want the money in the first place in the same breath. XD I mean yeah, you have some decent points, but are the insults really necessary?

My apologies if I seem like some ameteur troll, that's totally not intended. :) I just can't help but laugh when people go insane over the fact that I won't join a faction / do PvP / have a goal of getting nice stuff that doesn't actually serve a big purpose in battle. I ask for money making advice and I get critiques on my motivation for it. Hmm. :P

You've gone from wanting to know how to not be poor to being an attention seeker, Neat :).

Your venomancer will be useless unless you solo TT and catch rare pets, By the time you get that venomancer to 75 and make all class huggy hares. They wont be worth it.. They hardly sell.. Failed there.

And nicestuff = Serves BIG purpose in battle, Im not talking fash either. Im talking Legendary/TT/HH/Sharded/ProperBonuses/Proper gear for your level/class

Good job though, I find it funny you made this whole post and in the end you'll still be lazy cuz you don't see anyones points..

1. Stop spending money on alts if ur archers broke..so u can merch
    2. meh your hopeless tbh
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    You've gone from wanting to know how to not be poor to being an attention seeker, Neat :).

Your venomancer will be useless unless you solo TT and catch rare pets, By the time you get that venomancer to 75 and make all class huggy hares. They wont be worth it.. They hardly sell.. Failed there.

And nicestuff = Serves BIG purpose in battle, Im not talking fash either. Im talking Legendary/TT/HH/Sharded/ProperBonuses/Proper gear for your level/class

Good job though, I find it funny you made this whole post and in the end you'll still be lazy cuz you don't see anyones points..

1. Stop spending money on alts if ur archers broke..so u can merch
    2. meh your hopeless tbh
    I never said you didn't have points. I said you drowned them in insults and tired old regurgitated beliefs about what's "proper" and what's a "failure." Which you continued to do here, quite spectacularly. :)

It's really quite simple. I asked for money making tips. I added in what I wanted the money for. You responded with some tips, which I appreciate. Then you drowned it in insults, which I don't.

Do you see me criticizing you for going after your "proper" gear? No? Huh. Maybe we don't make threads for the purpose of being insulted, then. Damndest thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    I've tried all 3 builds on venos, arcane, light and heavy. Arcane by far is what you want if you play your veno for money making. No golems would be an issue since you wouldnt have your personal tank. I mean I can take my golem through TT solo mode up to 2-1 but I coudlnt expect any other pet to able to do that.

Problem with light and heavy is you give up some vit and mag for str and dex. The more magic attack you have, the more efficient your pet heal. Light and heavy compared to an arcane veno with the same level heals, arcane would have the best.

Also I gave up on trying to catch rare pets long ago, too many particular farmers who always manage to catch it. All class pets in the way of regular mobs..well huggy hares dont sell to well. (Ugly :x)
    Butterflies and Elysium fowls sell the best as they're used in TW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2009
    Alright..geeze get it over with..Tell me how good gear sucks..Im ready for the hurtful things your little fingers will type *DEEP BREATHE* OK GO! b:shockedb:sad

b:laugh