The Goldbars RIPOFF

ladiec
ladiec Posts: 10 Arc User
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
ok all plz listen up a few players decided to take advatage of other players with the gold bars now most of the players on sanctuary are doing the same.
gold bars are just that coins 10k of coins so those of you who buy them for 90k 50k 25k your getting riped off all youll get back is 10k for you are lossing money and the the player that is riping you off is making a huge loot do not encourage these players.
stand up to these guys and most of all research price range for all items and
find out what items does what thank you.
Merry Late Christmas, happy holydayz, and a good new year to all filled with blessings.
Post edited by ladiec on

Comments

• blindeyesniper
    blindeyesniper Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    ladiec wrote: »
    ok all plz listen up a few players decided to take advatage of other players with the gold bars now most of the players on sanctuary are doing the same.
    gold bars are just that coins 10k of coins so those of you who buy them for 90k 50k 25k your getting riped off all youll get back is 10k for you are lossing money and the the player that is riping you off is making a huge loot do not encourage these players.
    Merry Late Christmas, happy holydayz, and a good new year to all filled with blessings.

Yea, I've seen so many people trying to rip ppl off. Like selling wave pacers or those standard flying mounts that you can get from quest for 100k+ when you can just buy them from npc for 20k. I also saw someone selling a sadness card for almost 500K when it's only worth about 1 coin.
  • Some_guy - Heavens Tear
    Some_guy - Heavens Tear Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    ladiec wrote: »

Lol, I bet u got ripped off urself didn't u?
  • Ormenelle - Heavens Tear
    Ormenelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Heh - offer and demand. If people are too lazy to care about the real price of an item, it is your duty to sell it as high as possible.
  • Lahnora - Sanctuary
    Lahnora - Sanctuary Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of ripping off people.
    Is putting an "incorrect" shop title to fool people and selling a "fake" item legal?
    IE: I used to play rappelz a while back. And ppl used to scam other players by saying "Free/Cheap Chips" but in reality they were buying it for that price. (The shop in that game does not have a sell and buy divider like this game does so if you don't look carefully you won't know whether they are selling/buying)
  • ladiec
    ladiec Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    now way lol i am not easaly scamed in factg i rarely buy stuff lol i am more of the pack rat hehe
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of ripping off people.
    Is putting an "incorrect" shop title to fool people and selling a "fake" item legal?
    IE: I used to play rappelz a while back. And ppl used to scam other players by saying "Free/Cheap Chips" but in reality they were buying it for that price. (The shop in that game does not have a sell and buy divider like this game does so if you don't look carefully you won't know whether they are selling/buying)

Like, setting a shop named MONEY CAT, betting on the newbies' ignorance of local economics for them to sell drops a tenth of their real price, which you can subsequently resell making a 900% net benefice ?
  • Whimsey - Heavens Tear
    Whimsey - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Or the shops that are buying matts for 100 coins and selling them for 2k-3k coins at the same time...
  • KitsuneXIII - Sanctuary
    KitsuneXIII - Sanctuary Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    The solution is simple: be more attentive and do not fall for these scams.

If no one falls for scams like that, they will become less profitable.

When such scams cease to be as profitable as they are, there will be fewer instances in which the same scam will be attempted.

This does not garauntee that the scams will stop completely, but it does significantly decrease the odds that a player will be ripped off
  • magicboy7111
    magicboy7111 Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Actually its not the gold bars part that really concerns me. Its the fact that you hear people constantly shouting "Selling GOLD for 50k each!". I figured that since only the auctioneer can be used to trade for gold, id check out what was going on. So pmed him saying that i was interested. He ended up showing me 10 gold bars that he claimed could be used in the world boutique.

Well since I already knew what gold bars were, I just cancelled the trade and walked away. But yes, this is a scam, not a ripoff.
  • Torsay - Sanctuary
    Torsay - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I never heard of gold bars before I got them from santa first time in this event. I thought it was the gold you can pay with in botique.

I think many people did... some guy was just shouting at me in pms "U WONT BELIEVE THIS" and then "I GOT LIKE 10 MIL" after he just got the gold bars from santa too. He had no idea whats the value of real gold or these gold bars either.

Its just... you know, I guess plenty of other people that never really seen gold and... just had this thought.

I wouldn't blame the people that try to make a profit of that. These guys aren't bad, they just try to be smart... and achieve something. I would blame the guy that came up with the idea of making gold bars and the guy that has put them on the list of santa's rewards.

Well maybe they just tried to make things interesting which actually worked.
  • mountainman
    mountainman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    One the topic of rip off scams beware of the people in Arch selling rough gems for the Crazy Stone Quest. There's always one guy set up selling 4 of the 5 roughs for 1699, but the 5th is 169900. If you're not paying attention it's easy to click on the gem and buy it. That's a total scam and such poor form. Of course in teh end I guess it's all buyer beware.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    One the topic of rip off scams beware of the people in Arch selling rough gems for the Crazy Stone Quest. There's always one guy set up selling 4 of the 5 roughs for 1699, but the 5th is 169900. If you're not paying attention it's easy to click on the gem and buy it. That's a total scam and such poor form. Of course in teh end I guess it's all buyer beware.

Those people are lucky I don't run this game or I'd ban them for doing that. b:byeb:laugh
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
    edited January 2009
    Ban them on what grounds ?

A scam is when you cheat and/or lie to the buyer.
    Like selling gold bars by lying and telling they're CashShop Gold.
    That is a bannable offense as per the rules of conduct.

A ripoff is when you tell the truth and sell the genuine item, but at an outrageous price, hoping that your client is either too stupid or too lazy to look around and probe the market. That is not a bannable offense, and the fault lies on the buyer's part.

The guys selling gems at an awful price are NOT pulling a scam.

We're happy that in fact you do not run this game.

An Admin must put a set of rules, and enforce them impartially. If people find a loophole, then change the rules, make an anouncement and enforce the new rules FROM NOW ON.

But you, you only have a feeling that ''it's wrong'' and want to ban them for that ? FEH on you. Being driven by sentiment and totally partial, interpreting one's own rules according to mood swings would make you the worst possible admin.
  • Hdragon - Lost City
    Hdragon - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    Those people are lucky I don't run this game or I'd ban them for doing that. b:byeb:laugh

There is a shop around crazy stone selling "CARD# 21" for 200K (or 300K I forget) when the price was above 500k, but the card is actually a #2 not #21. the price is correctly marked as shop title. I thought it was a mistake, but the shop shows up on a different location with same title the second day, and the only card for sell is indeed still #2. so go figure
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009

A ripoff is when you tell the truth and sell the genuine item, but at an outrageous price, hoping that your client is either too stupid or too lazy to look around and probe the market. That is not a bannable offense, and the fault lies on the buyer's part.

An Admin must put a set of rules, and enforce them impartially. If people find a loophole, then change the rules, make an anouncement and enforce the new rules FROM NOW ON.

But you, you only have a feeling that ''it's wrong'' and want to ban them for that ? FEH on you. Being driven by sentiment and totally partial, interpreting one's own rules according to mood swings would make you the worst possible admin.

I'd ban them on the grounds that they are being greedy. I'd not allow that in my game.b:laugh Plus I WOULD consider that a scam.
    Main characters
    edited January 2009
    We're not discussing fantasy, but economic reality.

Those merchant pulling prices, those brainless customers buying their stuff, those filthy beggars asking for gold - it all sorts out in the end, the weak and the meek get culled, and we get rid of those pests - both kind of pests.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed - for lack of a better word - is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind. In my book you either do it right or you get eliminated.

( That was too tempting, I had to do it :] )
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2009
    We're not discussing fantasy, but economic reality.

Those merchant pulling prices, those brainless customers buying their stuff, those filthy beggars asking for gold - it all sorts out in the end, the weak and the meek get culled, and we get rid of those pests - both kind of pests.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed - for lack of a better word - is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind. In my book you either do it right or you get eliminated.

( That was too tempting, I had to do it :] )

And people like you are the reason the econ crashed in real life, and other games I have played.
    Main characters
  • Gonzu - Heavens Tear
    Gonzu - Heavens Tear Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'm selling Sadness Cards for 20k each.

Buy one and become a really sad person.

This item is in reality worth one (1) coin.

Does it have any special use in the game?

Probably a quest item or something for very high levelled players.
    edited January 2009
    And people like you are the reason the econ crashed in real life, and other games I have played.

( Hint : select my previous text )

~oOo~

Well, more seriously, the different crashes and catastrophes are not due to people acting in reality like Gordon Gekko, for those are only a part of the problem.

The real problem is that, no mater his situation, social status, wealth, faith and luck, the human animal has only one thing in mind : to make others more miserable than him. People are willing, no ! eager to cut an arm if it ensure their neighbors lose both.

There have been studies and field tests : a group of people from diverse origins and cultures were gathered for a quiz game.
    They were isolated from each other to be sure they did not have a clue whom they were playing with.
    Each turn, a successful answer would earn them money, and they had a choice to burn their own earnings to lower someone else's pot.
    Something like '' I #1 burn 1000$ to lower #3 '' and then both #1 and #3 did loose 1000$.
    The sociologists kept logs of cash earned and destroyed.
    At the end of the games, they noted that no mater who the players were, more than 70% of the cash was destroyed out of pettiness.
    Just for the sake of pissing off other players, 70% destroyed ...
    Ecce Homo, this is how our civilisation will be remembered.

That's the core of the problem, and I don't know of any solutions. Enforcing laws dampers the effects, but build up vindication and treachery in return ; the level of education changes nothing ; faith and philosophy neither ...

I hope we won't end like the Pascuans of Easter Islands.
  • bobzilla21
    bobzilla21 Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I'm selling Sadness Cards for 20k each.

Buy one and become a really sad person.

This item is in reality worth one (1) coin.

Does it have any special use in the game?

Probably a quest item or something for very high levelled players.

No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any other uses...it's just an unlucky event that can happen in the cube.
    I figured I should do something with my sig, so I made this for fun. My very first (poorly made) animation. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As for why Luffy is murdering Naruto, I have no idea either, but it looks cool.b:laugh
  • ExELFine - Heavens Tear
    ExELFine - Heavens Tear Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2009

The real problem is that, no mater his situation, social status, wealth, faith and luck, the human animal has only one thing in mind : to make others more miserable than him. People are willing, no ! eager to cut an arm if it ensure their neighbors lose both.

What a weird mentality and generalization you are displaying, Ormenelle, I really feel sorry for you if you truly believe this.
    There have been studies and field tests : a group of people from diverse origins and cultures were gathered for a quiz game.

You take this as proof of your theory??? It is very sad that you are totally ignorant of the goodness of mankind.

I have met all kinds of people in my life and I can truly say that I never met a really bad person or selfish person. There are cultures that encourage greed, murder and even genocides but mankind will take care of itself.
    That's the core of the problem, and I don't know of any solutions. Enforcing laws dampers the effects, but build up vindication and treachery in return ; the level of education changes nothing ; faith and philosophy neither ....

Try love. It works.

If you want to know the real truth, put the study aside and question yourself. Would you destroy other people's lives just to make them more miserable than you?

Only you have the answer. I hope, for your happiness, that you have the right one.

Happy New Year!

b:victory
    [SIGPIC]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff122/dart2005/PWI/july05.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Crafting:
    Tailor: lev 7
    Blacksmith: lev 6
    Craftsman: lev 6
    Apothicary: lev 5
    SEMI to 7/8 RETIRED, not from PW but from PWI :)
  • haku
    haku Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009

They were isolated from each other to be sure they did not have a clue whom they were playing with.
    Each turn, a successful answer would earn them money, and they had a choice to burn their own earnings to lower someone else's pot.
    Something like '' I #1 burn 1000$ to lower #3 '' and then both #1 and #3 did loose 1000$.
    The sociologists kept logs of cash earned and destroyed.
    At the end of the games, they noted that no mater who the players were, more than 70% of the cash was destroyed out of pettiness.

That's too simple a picture. Yes there are numerous studies done that shows ppl will act in competitive/vindictive ways in such games but there are also studies that show ppl can act cooperatively too, it all depends on the situation, sometimes very subtle differences in situation. There's one study that shows that simply changing a game's name between a competitive one (i.e. "wallstreet") and a cooperative one (i.e. "community game") will drastically alter the way that ppl play. i.e. if the researchers tell ppl that the game is named "wallstreet" then ppl will play in the mutually destructive way u just described. but if they tell ppl that the name is "community game" then ppl will play cooperatively and everyone benefits.
    There are cultures that encourage greed, murder and even genocides but mankind will take care of itself.
    that's also too simple. I don't think there's any culture that actively promotes greed, murder and genocides, but any culture can be accused of encouraging all three. Our own culture for example, the western or individualistic culture works on a complex system of capitalism which says that ppl own properties and ppl can accumulate properties to gain great benefits and advantages over those who have less properties. This can be said to encourage greed. The two ethnic groups living in Rwanda had co-exited peacefully for thousands of years, but when it was colonized by a European country, the Europeans taught them that one group was superior to another and taught the "superior" group to enslave the "inferior" one. That and a whole bunch of complex factors eventually resulted in the Rwandan genocide. Also, in the types of studies mentioned by Ormenelle, it was found that children from our (individualist) cultures are more likely to play competitively, and children from collectivist cultures such as those in south america and asia are more likely to play cooperatively.

but yeah, it's maintenance night, i'm bored and i've talked way too much. I think there's both good and bad in ppl. here in this game we have ppl who scam/rip-off other ppl, and then we have the nice ppl who posted in this thread warning others about those scams/rip-offs ^^
  • Saitada - Sanctuary
    Saitada - Sanctuary Posts: 3,220 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    People are only as evil as their Real Life Morals allow them to be. People with a firm and decent set of morals in life, don't go into a game and rip people off "because it's only a game". If your ripping people off in a game, given a decent opportunity, you would do the same in real life. Your Moral or immoral behavior in a game, shows who/what you REALLY are in real life under all the social layering we have to hide our true selves from others.

"Oh but I would NEVER steal in real life" Really? Nobody is around and the chance is there, you KNOW you won't ever be caught. It's 120 degrees in the desert and nobody is around for miles, and man that Soda sure is cold and would quench your thirst. NOBODY would ever know but you. Yeah you know you would take it.

Not to many people wouldn't. That is why at heart, deep down, we are all thieves and h0mocidal maniacs. We just have a layer of civilization thrown over the top to make us look good to our peers. VERY few people would perish, to preserve their Moral convictions.

Saitada
  • Georgemto - Lost City
    Georgemto - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    VERY few people would perish, to preserve their Moral convictions.

Saitada

But god bless those of us who would
  • Shano - Lost City
    Shano - Lost City Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    instead of saying you got scammed or ripped off
    it's your fault for not checking the items carefully
    people can sell them as much as they want, they can price as much as they want but it up to the buyer to decide whether they want to buy with that price or not
  • silverkitty
    silverkitty Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    instead of saying you got scammed or ripped off
    it's your fault for not checking the items carefully
    people can sell them as much as they want, they can price as much as they want but it up to the buyer to decide whether they want to buy with that price or not

if I got ripped off - fine. my fault. I have friends I can ask about prices, and I've seen all the merchants and what they sell and figured out how to value combination items and such.

what bugs me is that people rip off nubs who don't know - it's not like the game makes it easy to comparatively shop.
  • nicksloth
    nicksloth Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    There is nothing wrong with trying to catch people out that are unaware of the real price of an item.

What do you think antique dealers and those people who scour boot sales are doing in real life? It's just playing the market, you buy cheap and sell high to make some profit. It's not scamming or cheating people, it's just common sense.

As for catching nubs out, well the same applies in my opinion. Sooner or later they will realise their mistake and do the exact same thing to someone else.
  • WolfLadyCZ - Sanctuary
    WolfLadyCZ - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    I disagree.
    The reason those economies crash is simple: stupid, ignorant players that are too lazy to get proper information and when they find out they overpaid they start shouting "Help! Scam!"...

...same goes for real world. Why do you think communism is so popular (in all its forms, not just hardcore communism: US statism or European welfare state, for example)? Because people are too stupid and lazy to take responsibility for their own actions. And they want SOMEBODY to make sure they don't have to think too hard. What they forget is that the government is also composed of *individual* people with individual wants, wishes and interests... and who (logically) put those above the "common good".

To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson (?): Those that give up essential liberties (e.g. freedom of choice to buy for exorbitant prices) for a little temporary security or comfort, deserve neither liberty, security nor comfort...
  • WolfLadyCZ - Sanctuary
    WolfLadyCZ - Sanctuary Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2009

Kudos! I am in complete agreement with you.
  • mountainman
    mountainman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    My gemstone example for the crazy stones quest was that they purposefully mis-priced a gem. When you do the crazy stone quest and see the gems shops you open them and begin grabbing your 5 gems. Its such a boring task few pay attention while doing so. The first 3 gems are all 1690 as is the 5th, but the 4th is 169000. It's arbitrary that that particular one was chosen for it as it is not more expensive to make. At first I thought maybe the person made a mistake in doing so, but sure enough every day they are open and the same thing.

Fortunately since I'm poor in game I pay close attention to all my purchases and I didn't get scammed. People who have millions in coin might easily not catch it.

In the end though people like that are intentionally scamming. They are deplorable in nature, but there is no rule against it. Buyer beware is all I can say. The sad thing is people like that are probably like that in real life and live a miserable life of mistrust and deceit. If anything we should likely feel bad for them. Oh well.