Best Flying Pet?

Options
Harlequinn - Lost City
Harlequinn - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Venomancer
Is starting with a level 8 Petite Sawfly really the best way to go? Instead of getting say a level 28 Goldenwing? Or even some other flying monster (if they even exist).
I see them everywhere and I'd love there to be a good alternative route.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Harlequinn - Lost City on

Comments

• bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Unfortunately, there isn't anything better. As far as stats go, a pet trained from a lower level will always be stronger than anything caught, even if it's only 1 level difference. So unless you really don't like a bug following you around, that's the best pet for air. It also does pretty good on the ground, too.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • heaven123
    heaven123 Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    what they really need to do is make the higher level ones have a greater increase in stats per level so as they level up, they eventually catch up to the lower level ones...
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Then the pets end up not unique from each other, like Hunter pets in WoW. All same species pets regardless of level, will have thee same stats at the same level, just differ in looks. People go to the trouble to tame pets with out of the ordinary looks just for that. Sure, some of the higher level pets look cooler, but there's a lot that don't. And do you actually want this game to be like WoW? Sure it's dubed "Chinese WoW" by some, but do you really want it to be like WoW and have no uniqueness? The fun of having the pet system like this here is to make you work for your pets, unlike WoW where a Boar level 1 would have the same stats as a Boar level 70, so people can get a level 60 or so one and not work for it as much with the same result. Although I hear those level 60 ones are fugly.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • Harlequinn - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It's already got tons of similarities to WoW :P Perhaps if they made more low level flying pets I could capture there wouldn't be this problem. Instead we all have to run around with the same petite sawfly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ina1166
    ina1166 Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    It's already got tons of similarities to WoW :P Perhaps if they made more low level flying pets I could capture there wouldn't be this problem. Instead we all have to run around with the same petite sawfly.
    I named mine AH-64.
    http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/helicopter-m/ah64/ah64d_01.jpg

If it's going to sound annoying whenever it moves, it's going to have a cool name.
    88 FIRE! An "anti-tank" projectile, accompanied by an AC-130 are on their way to ensure insanity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thals
    thals Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I know, right!? Its really puzzleing why they made most flying pets look like the exact the same species as you keep going up in level. In my oppinion the Pinnaer Foxwing is good looking enough and kinda cute.
    The one universal connection is the smile...for that moment there is peace.

IGN: Annabella
    Server: Heaven Tear
    Class: Venomancer
    Guild: Peace & Harmony Clan Leader (coming soon)
  • Kittychan - Heavens Tear
    Kittychan - Heavens Tear Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Is the flying foxie (pinnaer.. thing) that much worse than the petite sawfly in terms of stats? Is there anywhere that has a comparison of both? I would rather have a cooler looking pet than have a small increase in damage ^^
  • chise
    chise Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I would say the Sawfly is since you can train it from lvl 8+ that makes it better than any others you could possibly get at later lvls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Attempting to bring common sense and understanding to an
    ignorant person is like driving into a brick wall. It may seem
    interesting at first, but after the fact, it accomplishes nothing"
  • ina1166
    ina1166 Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I'm too cheap to spend tons of money to teach a sawfly flesh ream and a debuff, so I use the level 34 foxie too, I named it AC-130. :]
    88 FIRE! An "anti-tank" projectile, accompanied by an AC-130 are on their way to ensure insanity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mimelle - Lost City
    Mimelle - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    let's say I'm 20 lvl now, and decided to get a petit sawfly (even though I hate it looks). where/how should I train it?

and, does really higher levels don't have better skills? does really stats matters the most, not skills?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    let's say I'm 20 lvl now, and decided to get a petit sawfly (even though I hate it looks). where/how should I train it?

and, does really higher levels don't have better skills? does really stats matters the most, not skills?

People say that you can buy skills, but not stats. So up to you to make your mind up :).
  • travil
    travil Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I like the Pinnaer Foxwing myself as it has a nice assortment of skills, good physical/magic defense..not so hot on the evade but the attack that lowers the enemies magical defense helps as a spell-slinging veno amongst other things.
  • Mimelle - Lost City
    Mimelle - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    I don't think I'll have 300k before long :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Harlequinn - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    Options
    So Petite Sawflys are only betterbecause of the stats from training it up. Does anyone have a comparison of stats based on a non trained level 30 pet or so, compared to the trained level 8 sawfly?
    I don't like the fact that I have to spend a ridiculous amount on buying skills for something I could catch and get the same skills for free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • epiphany
    epiphany Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    So Petite Sawflys are only betterbecause of the stats from training it up. Does anyone have a comparison of stats based on a non trained level 30 pet or so, compared to the trained level 8 sawfly?
    I don't like the fact that I have to spend a ridiculous amount on buying skills for something I could catch and get the same skills for free.
    This is how it works:

Pets caught and raised from a lower level will have much better stats (and poorer skills) than one from the same family that is of a higher original level when caught. On the other hand, pets that are of a higher original level when caught will have better skills (but poorer stats) than lower level ones-- so basically it's a trade off.

For a lot of us who've played this class in other versions, we like to stick to the saying: you can buy skills but you can't buy stats.

:D
  • Harlequinn - Lost City
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ok so the Petite Sawfly is the best flying pet, but is it also really the best pvp pet?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • epiphany
    epiphany Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    Ok so the Petite Sawfly is the best flying pet, but is it also really the best pvp pet?
    The petite sawfly's high damage output makes it a good pet for air PvP.
  • wintertitan
    wintertitan Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Options
    And what about the flying piggy? I heard that's it's better TANK than sawfly (not talking about dmg).
  • Harlequinn - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    Options
    epiphany wrote: »
    The petite sawfly's high damage output makes it a good pet for air PvP.

What about just plain pvp in general?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    Aenil - Heavens Tear Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    The pig is the best air tank from what I've seen other than the Phoenix which to my knowledge isn't in this version of the game.
    Pig's stats compared to Sawfly's at 90 are as follows:
    HP: +835, ATK: -1446, P. Def: +2163, M. Def: +1586, Acc: -642, Dodge: -326, Atk/s: +.2, m/s: -.1
    Much higher def on both phys. and mag. but a bit lower atk/acc so if ya just need an air tank... Go with the pig! XD
  • Lotus - Lost City
    Lotus - Lost City Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    As far as PvP you want to go with a flying pet.
  • Sessura - Lost City
    Sessura - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    I say take what you like! Everyone has the same 2-4 pets! Sawfly, Golem, etc. For pve especially the bigger variety of pets are a lot more fun imo and it's not like you'll be buying skills until you're raking in the dough so they come out fairly balanced until mid-end game.

Here's where you can get comparisons of pets at different level ranges.
    http://perfectworld.clanfree.net/compapet.htm
    Hope that helps! :)
  • darkseed
    darkseed Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Ok i'm just learning Veno class. My Veno is lvl 20 and i'd like to prepare by getting a flyer (as soon as my lvl 53 can farm enough fruit for the 4th pet slot). 2 questions;

1) Everyone talks about buying skills. I'm such a newb. I do keep looking at the pet trainer to buy skills, nothing is ever there to buy, is there a way to put skills in there first? (like in WoW you need to tame a random pet, fight with it to learn the skill in general, dismiss that pet, and then train it on your real pet)
    1a) Whenever i hit the train pet skills button, it says i need to have an active pet... but... for my water pet i cant summon him on land, how would one train a water pet in general?

2)This question was asked but i didnt see an answer. since if i grabbed a lvl 8 petite sawfly at lvl 8, and i'm 20, i'd need to catch it up. whats the best way to do this? fight lvls 8s and move up as it levels, or is there lvl 20s around i can survive without a pet tank and give it XP quickly?

Thanks for the Veno newb help
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options

Travel from Broken Bridge Village to Wellspring Village (through the mountains) and you should encounter mobs of the same level as your pet. Move on to keep the monsters the same level as your pet when it levels up. Your lvl 8 pet may survive level 20 mobs with appropriate healing, but it takes you longer to kill them, mobs adjusted to it's level will simply work faster.

Type and purpose are important for stats as well, the popular golem, tamed at level 17 has better tanking stats then the wolfling you got/tamed at level 2 - when they're the same level - though the wolfling might have better attack and damage output.
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    You buy skills and upgrade books at the Mrs. Zoologist. Skills range from 150k to 800k. The upgrade book to increase a skill's level costs 200k.

To upgrade the skills of a water pet, which I advise against, you need to talk to Mrs. Zoologist's husband in the port of Arch.

For the sawfly, I'd fight level 15 or so mobs, then gradually work up from there as he levels. You should have no problem taking mobs a few levels higher than your pet if you send it in first and then DD with Ironwood Scarab and Venomous Scarab.
  • turtlewax
    turtlewax Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    There's no point in fighting critters of higher level, as the XP gain per kill is capped at 15, which is the amount it receives when killing a critter of equal level. Unless I made a mistake somewhere.
    Another thing to keep in view is the rate at which you can kill, sometimes killing more lower levels with 2 spells can level it faster then killing critters a bit higher but requiring 3 shots.
  • gingerale83
    gingerale83 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    Does anyone know where to find this illusive flying pig? I keep hearing about it but I have definitely never seen one...
  • mountainman
    mountainman Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Options
    What about this Phoenix? Does it exist in this game.? I could have sworn I saw someone shout they were selling one or perhaps it was just a joke.If it does exist is it a rare pet? Where and when does it drop/spawn?
  • Aenil - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2008
    Options
    As far as I know you're unable to get the phoenix in PWI as of yet. You can see the eggs for Phoenix and Hercule in the Zoologist shop though. They cost like 9999 Phoenix Feathers and 9999 Energy Cores or something.
  • Just_cool - Lost City
    Just_cool - Lost City Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Options
    nice info in this thread, i;ll add it to Venomancer F.A.Q. b:pleased
    IGN: JusT_CooL
    Server: Lost City
    Guild: ex-Conqueror

Follow the example of good GMing :D
    [SIGPIC]http://photos1.hi5.com/0044/475/618/k97TDv475618-02.jpg[/SIGPIC]