graphics

banana
banana Posts: 2 Arc User
edited August 2008 in General Discussion
looking at the teaser video the graphics in this game look really nice, but in all the screenshots posted by users the graphics look extremely bad.

Soo which is it? My computer can easily handle any game on the market at highest settings.
Post edited by banana on

Comments

• arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    banana wrote: »
    looking at the teaser video the graphics in this game look really nice, but in all the screenshots posted by users the graphics look extremely bad.

Soo which is it? My computer can easily handle any game on the market at highest settings.

I think the graphics are not good.
    But that is just me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • soukyuu
    soukyuu Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    many people use the suggested settings (the patcher.exe can stuff those suggestion in it's virtual rear ;) ) that's why the graphics look bad.

an example of the game on max settings:
    2007-09-15%2017-14-13.jpg

So don't worry, the trailer isn't lying.
    PW has been endless frustration for me #2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • merulz
    merulz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    The graphics are pretty good. The game is coded so a really crappy computer can run the game at low settings, and a really good computer can run it at maximum. And anywhere in between.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect World IRC:
    Server: irc.deltaanime.net
    Channel: #pwint
  • june
    june Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008

I agree with merulz and soukyuu that the graphics are really nice. Looking at the screen shots some people have posted, I can already see some don't have the settings on maximum. For example, some pictures do not have reflective water enabled. Others have texture detail on low. (On low texture detail, a lot of the ground texture is this thatched straw texture which replaces dirt, grass, sand etc.)
  • desirai
    desirai Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    The graphics are really nice in some aspects. It's nothing like Runescape, but definitely not as great as Lineage II or Rohan Online.

The scenery is nice, and character detail is nice. I run the game on maxed settings with little lag even though I'm in the USA and play on the MY server. :)
  • rena
    rena Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    What are the spec requirements for Max setting for it to run smoothly ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=6931
    emberglades.forumotion.net/forum.htm
  • june
    edited August 2008
    rena wrote: »

I'm not sure. According the download page, the suggested requirements are:
    http://www.perfectworld.com/download
    Suggested Requirement
    Operating System Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
    CPU Intel Pentium4 1.5GHz
    RAM 512MB+
    Hard Disk 3.0G HD space
    Graphic Display 256MB 3D graphics card

I have a 2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, and a 256MB graphics card, and it runs perfectly, albeit I notice a little longer loading when teleporting between scenes in comparison to my best friend, who has a 2.4GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, and a 512MB graphics card. My graphics card is budget compared to hers, so the refresh rate is a little less when there are like over a thousand people in town.
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    rena wrote: »

My athlon xp 2200+ with 512mb of ram (single channel even) and a geforce 6600 ran it fine maxed/1600x1200. But in ADC I got really low fps (probably around 5).

My new pc is pretty powerful, but I still only get 12-15FPS in adc, but that's probably because I'm using a quad clocked at 2.4ghz and the game can only use one core. My 8800GT seems to have no effect on fps in town.
    I'd say this game is based mostly off of the clock rate of your cpu, so 4ghz+ would be needed if you want good fps in a player filled town. Yeah, it sounds high, but it's not since single-core usage completely sucks.

The graphics in this game really do suck. You can't use AA even by forcing it in your drivers (which as you will see in my screen, it desperately needs), the textures are terribly low res, and there's not much detail.
    However despite that shortcoming, it's got a "neat" look to it.
    Here's a real screenshot, since low resolutions are fail (everything maxed): http://frontiernet.net/~asd/fds.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • soukyuu
    edited August 2008
    desirai wrote: »
    I run the game on maxed settings with little lag even though I'm in the USA and play on the MY server. :)
    Sorry to burst your bubble but PC specs have nothing to do with connection lag. The server could be on the Moon and you would be getting exactly the same latency as my athlon XP 2000+ with 1GB ram and a 7600GT. Yep, this one can play PW on max settings minus water reflections smoothly.

edit: Oh, and in ADC, my fps dropped, but it was still like 10-15. i wonder why your PC is lagging this much ren.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • devotion
    devotion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I like to rub it in. Enjoying the game?
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1810092&postcount=6
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3518732&postcount=17
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3986762&postcount=6
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    devotion wrote: »

Your image doesn't load, and there is a perfectly fine maxed setting 1600x1200 image a few posts before yours anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • seph
    seph Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2008

Yeah I said the same thing after I looked the the system requirements to play, they are SOOOO low and everyone says the graphics are SOOO good.
  • tenkei
    tenkei Posts: 63
    edited August 2008
    Should get a picture of the one I have in 1900x1200 with max. It is very nice imagery, the only thing that I get hung up with on it is that some weapon's textures could of had better alpha mapping and maybe a slightly higher texturing.

Some of the smaller weapons look like they used a 32x32 texture or worse result in not so smooth a look. Also could spent a couple more polygons to give the weapon's some more depth, they kind of look like your holding paper sometimes.

Aside from the hangup on the weapons the rest of it I think is quite well done.
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    ragingwind wrote: »
    (Turn on Anti-Aliasing, people!)
    I've even set antialiasing to GLOBAL 8xQ, and PW-MY is still as jagged as a serrated knife.

I'm starting to get pissed, how am I supposed to get AA working on this. Rohan wouldn't use AA either. My pc is more than good enough to use 16x aa, why can't I even use 8x.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ren wrote: »
    I've even set antialiasing to GLOBAL 8xQ, and PW-MY is still as jagged as a serrated knife.

I'm starting to get pissed, how am I supposed to get AA working on this. Rohan wouldn't use AA either. My pc is more than good enough to use 16x aa, why can't I even use 8x.
    Is the chip ATI or nVidia? Who made the card? A lot of factors contribute to a video card's quality. I've got an old Radeon x850 made by ATI and the AA works fine (as you can see in my pics). Just keep in mind that my processor is old, so I have to run AA on a low setting. At least it works, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    8800GT, 512mb model.

AA works fine in Crysis, Legend, UT3, all kinds of higher spec games than PW...

edit: hmm, looks like I'm not the only one. I hope nvidia fixes this bs, looks like a lot of effort http://forum.ivao.aero/index.php?topic=70675.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ragingwind
    ragingwind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ren wrote: »
    8800GT, 512mb model.

AA works fine in Crysis, Legend, UT3, all kinds of higher spec games than PW...

edit: hmm, looks like I'm not the only one. I hope nvidia fixes this bs, looks like a lot of effort http://forum.ivao.aero/index.php?topic=70675.0
    nVidia has always had Anti-Aliasing problems. For whatever reasons, they've never gotten it right. That's why I buy ATI. Too many gamers go for the fast and cheap nVidia cards thinking that they're getting a great deal but they don't understand why they are cheap. ATI has a good product and they know it. That's business, I guess.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Antialising ******** fixed. Custom drivers ftw? XTreme-G 175.63 drivers -> no more problems.
    (if anyone's actually gonna use this, make sure you uninstall your drivers and use a driver cleaner before installing...)

Man, I'm really pissed. This is the last time I buy an nvidia card. They haven't done anything about the problem at all for years, and yet a 3rd party fixes it for them...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amil
    amil Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    desirai wrote: »
    The graphics are really nice in some aspects. It's nothing like Runescape, but definitely not as great as Lineage II or Rohan Online.

The scenery is nice, and character detail is nice. I run the game on maxed settings with little lag even though I'm in the USA and play on the MY server. :)

You cannot be serious, PW looks way better than rohan and lineage 2. I cannot even believe you just said that. Wow
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    amil wrote: »
    You cannot be serious, PW looks way better than rohan and lineage 2. I cannot even believe you just said that. Wow

Uh, you can't be serious, L2 is twice as good looking than both Rohan and PW combined.
    The armors and weapons are way more detailed.

L2 graphics are pretty dated as well by now, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    amil wrote: »

I REALLY like rohan graphics.

Id say it is 2-3x better than PW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • lipe124
    lipe124 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    LOL are u drunk? Rohan graphics?!! Man I deleted my rohan folder but lets see..

Monsters looked like lego blocks
    Water looked like someone stacked together a lot of mirrors on the ground and had ZERO wave/splash effects
    If you really want to prove your point then post a screenie of soemthing in rohan that looks better than PW and I'll make u 5 PW screenies that top that.

The guys with AA probs.. I never really had that at all, and ive got a 8600 GT. I'll check later again but i dont recall seeing blocky edges anywhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Go watch it alone ;)
  • june
    edited August 2008
    I think Rohan graphics are really nice in a classic nostalgic way. (Computer graphics are improving so fast, that anything over 2 years old looks nostalgic.) It has a denser more compact filled design, whereas in Perfect World, there are some more wide open spaces/regions.

I notice in Perfect World, the texture detail of 70+ areas look a lot nicer than the starting areas (except for the cities, which are nice), with better textures and environments. I really dislike the textures in the fb19s, because they seemed really low resolution (a.k.a ugly) and really poor to gauge the game by. I always thought they should someday redo some of the textures in the beginning areas. The expansion and new quest areas on the Perfect World China server look really nice.

(Also to the person with AA problems. Maybe it could be a driver issue. ATI Radeon 1950XTX 512MB running with max settings and 4x AA 16x AF at 1600x1200 resolution. It's a dated card too.)
  • ence
    ence Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ....I would disagree/agree with the Rohan, L2 comparison.

Personally I think L2 was much more detail oriented and realistic while PW trends slightly more towards an animeistic style, but not as much detail.

In comparison to Rohan though, I think PW wins hands-down. Rohan has decent looks but seriously I would say it has nothing compared to the graphics in PW
  • rufus
    rufus Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i hope this game won't be like rohan. i was able to get enough money to wear level 80 armour and weapons at level 20 due to what i feel is an exploit that lets you repeat a high-money earning quest over and over and over again. which meant the rest of the game was a cake walk.
  • soukyuu
    edited August 2008
    ragingwind wrote: »
    (Turn on Anti-Aliasing, people!)
    I prefer to play on max settings w/o AA than on min settings with AA. Yeah, my PC sucks :P

But AA does work w/o problems on my NVidia 7600GT & 8600m GT
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rev
    rev Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    rufus wrote: »
    i hope this game won't be like rohan. i was able to get enough money to wear level 80 armour and weapons at level 20 due to what i feel is an exploit that lets you repeat a high-money earning quest over and over and over again. which meant the rest of the game was a cake walk.

Don't worry, if the drops are like they are in terms of money as MY-EN no chance, I was saving up for a horse (lvl 40 mount) and at lvl 20 I wasn't even HALF way to the funds needed (I think it was 2 MIL)
    "Either you die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." Harvey Dent - The Dark Knight

Phase 1 Dungeon Design Contest Winner!
    Entry: Hall of Forsaken Souls, Twas fun to design.
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Can't see how you guys think the graphics on this game are bad =/

Imo best f2p game and one if not the best for graphics
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    t0yo wrote: »
    Can't see how you guys think the graphics on this game are bad =/
    Imo best f2p game and one if not the best for graphics

Depends which graphics. Characters and monsters are well detailed.

The rest is mostly 2D textures applied to flat surface, or on no surfaces at all. Many of those 2D textures are well done tho, so all-in-all the illusion works.

For exemple , there are almost no real stairs. They made vertical surface to witch they applied a stair texture.
    Same for some fences, they are simply 2D structures without deepness. When you fly over them, you only see a thin line.

They probably wanted to keep the polygons count low to allow the game to be run on older machines, like most F2P asian games. Most of those are played in cyber-cafe that seldom have top of the line gaming machine.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
This discussion has been closed.