Cleric information for newcomers

Comments

• Copperleaf - Harshlands
    Copperleaf - Harshlands Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Great, so who does know for sure if Ironheart stacks?
  • Urdthedevil - Heavens Tear
    Urdthedevil - Heavens Tear Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Great guide, glad I found it. I have always started with healers in every game I have ever played online. Perhaps because I am a little older, and I also like to help, get into groups, and not be consumed by being the best offensive player.
    Here is my question:
    I always played PvP servers too, is that advisable in PWI?
    I like PvP mainly because it adds an element of reality to the world, that I found missing whenever I have tried a PvE server in a game.
    Also, I would welcome guilds recruiting me to keep them safe, as just healing in PvE gets boring. The way I see it, a PvP server will keep me interested in the game longer, since ALL MMO's get old...
    Am I on track here?
    I would love a response from a PvP player who is mature, and not just saying, "Yeah come join so we can PK and KOS everyone", but after reading many posts I cannot gauge the culture of PvP in this game so well yet.
    I will have probably started my cleric on a PvP server by the time I get a response, but hey, no worries.
    1. A good cleric (Full Support or full attack) never wears light or heavy armor. ONLY arcane armor.

2. A good cleric (Full Support or full attack) NEVER puts any points in VIT or DEX. Just enough STR for equips and the rest into MAG.

3. Ironheart Blessing NEVER Stacks all your doing is wasting mana reseting the 15 sec time it takes to heal and canceling the one before it. This is the most contradicted cleric skill. If someone like this thread first started say that Ironheart stacks they are wrong. Blessing of the Purehearted is required for healing your tank. Ironheart and wellspring will never do they don't heal enough to keep the tank alive.

I have tryed a pure cleric build, max int and few str, that build is pretty much impossible to solo, the creeps kill you within 2 or 3 hits, if you kite did not work, or you missed a few times, you are pretty much screwd. Especially with ranged attack creeps, or blood lust. A cleric should be able to do solo and support, not just support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]That my veno. b:bye
  • saintgabrial
    saintgabrial Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Nope when you make a support cleric that's just what you are, A SUPPORT CLERIC! Any other cleric is a hybrid and in a party or guild that looks for support clerics want the ones that are Pure MAG/Arcane.

Pure support clerics should never solo. You can but there are a lot of mobs that will kill you fast, Mainly archers. Think about it your a support cleric so if your soloing who are you supporting? Your not an attack cleric, you really should not be the one attacking nor soloing. If you want to solo then go full attack cleric or a wizard. Of course even a good full attack cleric or wizard shouldn't use light or heavy armor and not spend points in VIT or DEX. So anyone who want's to solo maybe should be playing a barb, Swordmaster, venomancer or even an archer. Remember your Heal and attack skills are based on your MAG if its low cuz your putting points in VIT and DEX then your skills are doing a lot less than they should be. Want to be a good healer or have high magic attack damage you need all the point you can get into MAG.

Also noted
    Ironheart really does not stack. You should be using a macro that alternates Ironheart and Pureheart repeatedly. Casting ironheart over and over before the tank goes into fight the boss does nothing except making sure that he goes in with the freshest one and wasting mana. The best time to cast ironheart is just as he first hits the boss and then hit the macro or if you have that on first in the macro like you should then just start the macro.
  • terveis1
    terveis1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Nope when you make a support cleric that's just what you are, A SUPPORT CLERIC! Any other cleric is a hybrid and in a party or guild that looks for support clerics want the ones that are Pure MAG/Arcane.

Pure support clerics should never solo. You can but there are a lot of mobs that will kill you fast, Mainly archers. Think about it your a support cleric so if your soloing who are you supporting? Your not an attack cleric, you really should not be the one attacking nor soloing. If you want to solo then go full attack cleric or a wizard. Of course even a good full attack cleric or wizard shouldn't use light or heavy armor and not spend points in VIT or DEX. So anyone who want's to solo maybe should be playing a barb, Swordmaster, venomancer or even an archer. Remember your Heal and attack skills are based on your MAG if its low cuz your putting points in VIT and DEX then your skills are doing a lot less than they should be. Want to be a good healer or have high magic attack damage you need all the point you can get into MAG.

Also noted
    Ironheart really does not stack. You should be using a macro that alternates Ironheart and Pureheart repeatedly. Casting ironheart over and over before the tank goes into fight the boss does nothing except making sure that he goes in with the freshest one and wasting mana. The best time to cast ironheart is just as he first hits the boss and then hit the macro or if you have that on first in the macro like you should then just start the macro.

I am still a noob, so there is probably much i dont understand, but i did a little test. first i let some monster attack me so i had 50hp left, and used one ironheart. After 15sec it had healed me for 300hp~ or so (i am still lowlev ^^)

After that i let a monster attack me so i was back at 50hp, and used 4ironhearts in a row, in less then 10sec i was fully healed (620hp) so either they stack, or there is something that i dont understand. :)
    edited March 2009
    I tested it today too, and it stacks, 4 times, since by the 4th cast the first one is done.
  • Funbear - Sanctuary
    Funbear - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Of course its going to heal more. You casted it more than once. It will still heal you while the first spell is being cast. So if you cast it 4 times then there is a few seconds before each other one cast that it will heal you till the next one is cast.

Cast it 4 times and Time it every time you cast one and add up the hit points it should have healed. If it does stack then it should have healed you 4 times the amount that the skill says it does. You may have to have someone like a barbarian that has a lot of HP because your spell are probably going to heal you all the way anyway. Not to mention its the tank that you really need the spell to heal more anyway. Well I've done this with my 62 cleric and you know what. It only healed me about the amount of 2 cast's so I'm thinking between the casting before the next casting of each of the 4 cast's and my normal HP Regen that would explain why it healed more. So I'll have to agree that it doesn't stack.

Not to mention that no where in the game nor any of the many official Perfect World websites does it say it stacks. Most games where a spell stacks says it stacks.
  • terveis1
    terveis1 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    I made an other test with my character. First i let my hp drop to less then 100, and used 1 ironheart, after it had healed i had somewhere around 400hp.

After that i let my hp drop to 13, and used 2 ironhearts, between the first and second no healing was done. When they expired i had 620hp.

but yeah, it would require having a tank as a friend when you tested this, would make it a lot easier. I am the first to say that i am still too new to this game, and there is much i dont know. Thats why it would please me to get some reassurance on this, should i forget blph as this guide says, or buy some levels into it. :)
  • brodg
    brodg Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I feel like an idiot, but how do I gain new spells? Like I'm at the level I need to be at, but I don't have the skill. Do I have to like talk to someone or something?

Thanks in advance.
    edited March 2009
    ...at the cleric trainer in town, near the elder, the priest, and such.
  • Angelyue - Harshlands
    Angelyue - Harshlands Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    cool... many words. can u help me on spirit? i wanted to buy this skill at lvl 9 like flying faster and stuff but they say i didn't have enough spirit points? so wat is that? and i checked my character info it says i have 1,800 spirit points or sumthing so y isn't it working? and how can i get more? thx if u reply ^^;;
  • Whitepriest - Lost City
    Whitepriest - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    very details and very good forum for all new cleric.
    thank you very much b:thanks
  • sillyfoo
    sillyfoo Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    cool... many words. can u help me on spirit? i wanted to buy this skill at lvl 9 like flying faster and stuff but they say i didn't have enough spirit points? so wat is that? and i checked my character info it says i have 1,800 spirit points or sumthing so y isn't it working? and how can i get more? thx if u reply ^^;;

Sprit points is gained by killing mobs and certain quests. When u kill a mob it will say gained X amount of exp and X amount of spirit (x represents a number in this case) . All u gotta do is grind some and u can get spirit, also remember to do ur spiritual cultivation quests so u can unlock ur spiritual lvl (aware of harmony, spirtual adept, etc) which is required to be able to learn some skills.
  • HealerOfDead - Heavens Tear
    HealerOfDead - Heavens Tear Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    woot thx for help. extemely helpfull
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Parental Advisory: Beware the heal monkey
  • Indrana - Dreamweaver
    Indrana - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Hello,
    I made the skills in a screeny,with the coments.
    But i miss some comments at some skills.
    Thxb:bye
    skilllistcleric.jpg
    By unicorlady at 2009-04-14
  • chrisadd
    chrisadd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    A great guide all way round.

As someone who is beginning a Cleric and is getting pwnd a lot, the info on fighting a great help,

Thanks
  • andrikos
    andrikos Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Ur guide is very helpfull i just wanted to ask u what accesiories clerics should wear?
  • andrikos
    edited April 2009
    Junk nice guide i just wanna make a question what accesiories do clerics need?
  • andrikos
    edited April 2009
    Junk man nice guide.. just found how post reply works so u might see some replies in the first page :P i just wanted to ask u what accesories clerics need to wear?for evasion phys res or elemental?
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Hello,
    I made the skills in a screeny,with the coments.
    But i miss some comments at some skills.
    Thxb:bye
    skilllistcleric.jpg
    By unicorlady at 2009-04-14

em... i saw what u wrote on the pic but i dont actualy think u should lvl thunder ball or metal mastery for that mater(u can see all skills from all clases http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php )

but i prety much agree on ewerithing else i think(exept for the seals i dont use em much)
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AubreyKun - Sanctuary
    AubreyKun - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    junk wrote: »

* Every 2 levels: 10 stat points

+ Barebones build. Minimum necessary stats for robes/weapon (not a build per se but you can do this to conserve your stats if you haven't made up your mind yet).
    - 6 MAG
    - 1 STR
    - 3 free points

+ Highly offensive build. Very low survivability. High damage and healing power.
    - 9 MAG
    - 1 STR

+ Offensive build. Low survivability. High damage and healing power.
    - 7-8 MAG
    - 1 STR
    - 1-2 VIT

+ Balanced build. Decent survivability. Mid-high damage and healing power.
    - 6 MAG
    - 1 STR
    - 3 VIT

+ Light armor build. Geared towards using light armor. Balance of magic and physical defense. Superior critical rate. Minimal hitpoints but higher survivability when facing physical opponents. PvP versatility. Mid-high healing power, but higher overall damage due to an increased critical rate.
    - 6 MAG
    - 2 STR
    - 2 DEX

As you probably realised, the only build that can wear light armor is the last one. All other builds use exclusively robes. Light armor build can also use a set of robes appropriate for their level if facing magic enemies (supporting two sets of armor will prove expensive). You might choose to downgrade a light build's armor to increase VIT. This is, however, experimental and beyond our purpose.
    The best recommended build for a first time player is the balanced build (6 MAG/1 STR/3 VIT over 2 levels). It will ensure you have good damage/healing power and survive decently. The light armor build can also be attempted as starting monsters are mostly physical. Choose an offensive build if you have reliable friends and spend your time mainly in groups.

OK, I really wish that I had read this before I started my EP. I'm a newb, so there's my excuse. I p;ut stats on my Vit, which I've found is essentially useless, and I was hoping to find a way to easily correct my mistake. I wear light armor, I find that's the best for a Cleric that isn't in groups most of the time. Why? You're more versitle with the enemies that you face. But, on the other hand, you're not as strong magically. I may end up making an EP that's based with robes. Probably the Highly Offensive build.

And I really liked this guide, It was probably the most helpful guide in a condenced wall of text I've ever read, and that's saying something. And you explain, in great detail with very little word, again, I applaude you, for this is something that EVERYONE wants to find in a guide. :D
  • lexiefox
    lexiefox Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I started out with a light armor build as I was mostly having to solo. Am now about to lvl to 40, and my stats are 104 mag, 52 vit, str and dex both 34-will be 109 mag when lvl, and my vit and mag are boosted by armors-. I decided just recently to switch up stats (after finding this guide for one thing) as I also can not use the best weapon for my lvl most times. My str and dex shud carry me thru for my armor needs, so Im going 5 mag every 2 lvls and on the third I toss one on vit with 4 mag_previously went 2 mag and 1pt per other to lvl 20 then went to 3 mag 2 vit, occasionally tossing in my original stat build-. I use a completely arcane robe outfit, with a range of phy def, mana and hp + stones added anywhere I can. I also always try to use both robes and jewelry that are the Most balanced against all 5 elements, as we get a range of types we go against. I play strictly PvE, as I personally dont care for the PvP ideal. I manage most times very well on my own against 2 mobs, 3 or more I still go down. When I party I do support but can pitch in if needed. Lets face it folks, its not always easy to get someone to squad with doing mobs as part of our quests, so sometimes solo'ing is a must and you have to survive the phy damage mobs toss at you. Hope this helps someone. LexieFox
  • radiocatastrophe
    radiocatastrophe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    x.x; Ok I haven't played any online rpg's in a long while and when it comes to games such as these I read closely to the guides but nowhere in the guides explaining how to fly and I really would like to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shunitsi2
    shunitsi2 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I Thank You for this guide, I haven't even finished it but I can see it helping me loads in the futureb:thanks.
  • shunitsi2
    shunitsi2 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    EDIT: I'll just make a new cleric.
  • idaro
    idaro Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Okay, I'm getting conflicting views on this.

Is IronHeart really all I need to be a good cleric, especially if I decide to go balanced or full mag? I hear I also need PB, but then others say IH is all I'll ever need.
  • blueducky
    blueducky Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Thank you for making this guide possible. I even read everyone's suggestion. I will use it to help better understand what clerics should be in this wonderful world. b:victory
  • rugby12
    rugby12 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    hi, nice guide but wat do u mean by stack skills and how does it work? b:sad i wanna be a support cleric. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yondura - Lost City
    Yondura - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    wow thanks for the info now i can make my cleric a whole lot better
  • Shafeirah - Dreamweaver
    Shafeirah - Dreamweaver Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Can we add Genie Skills to this thread please?