Options
2»

Comments

• dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    Options
    oldrascal wrote: »
    dregenfox wrote: »
    The point of pk'ing the lower levels is to attract more pk. It's not something pve players would really understand because they're in more of a cooperative, "lets work together" mindset and are completely unused to being pk'ed and how to appropriately react.

I wish you'd had the experience of playing on a pk server. Yes, there were times where lowbies got killed, but there were also plenty of enjoyable 1v1's or small scale battles that were extremely fun and satisfying regardless of the outcome. There are good and bad sides to pk servers but the good far outweighs the bad, imo.

I'm sorry, that is the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

Intentionally killing people that you *know* have no chance in hell of putting up a proper fight is pointless. It does nothing for them except throw them out of play, it does nothing for you except give you a cheap thrill. There is no skill in stepping on a grasshopper and squashing it flat. I have played on plenty of PvP servers and games, TW'd since 2009 and I don't go after lowbies and children because it's cruel and sad.

The appropriate reaction to being PKd by someone twice your size is pity for them.

I started this game about 1 year after it came out, and so I personally experienced what you're talking about to a large degree. I was new to the game, and I remember fearing for my life just going out to grind mobs, but I never felt pity for the people who pk'ed me. It did prompt me to join a faction for protection, however, and it also gave me experience in watching the minimap, understanding map awareness and proper use of the T screen to avoid players.

Once I gained experience in this it was very rare for a player to sneak up on me without me being aware of it, and I also knew the general patterns of which quests spots would be likely to be camped and scout them out beforehand. If I absolutely needed a quest complete, I would gather like-minded players and get it all done together, sort of like a "questing party".

The fact is, even back then with such a large playerbase and pk'ers everywhere I still managed to eventually complete my quests, and when they were done it felt awesome, way more awesome than just clicking on a link and autopathing to the next carrot-on-a-stick that most PVE players prefer. You think having a bunch of lvl 90's out hunting you is an impossible situation, but the game gives you the tools and resources to properly escape and live to fight another day, even against strong enemies.

Like I keep saying, PVE players simply have a different mindset in playing the game. It's definitely enjoyable to mindlessly click on things, watch them die, make progress, and get told how strong and awesome you are, but some players have long since grown bored of that, or simply don't enjoy that kind of routine gameplay.

I know it sounds foreign to the pve crowd but some players simply enjoy hard games that force you to strategize and learn or else fail spectacularly (over and over, I might add). There is an entire niche of hardcore games that don't hold your hand, and a large number of players still play those games (ie, "rogue-likes" and hardcore-permadeath modes). That's who the pvp servers were really for. It's not for everyone, and I'm just sad that there's no option in PWI to play like that anymore.
  • forgets2flush
    forgets2flush Posts: 10 Arc User
    Options
    Again, not much sympathy here. I remember the good old days of Harshland where it would be days before I'd get through Secret Passage to finish quests. Then there was ASCII. If you didn't have an eye on your radar you were cretain to be spawning in town with the message 'You were killed by ASCII'. ;)
  • prancing
    prancing Posts: 143 Arc User
    Options
    Again, not much sympathy here. I remember the good old days of Harshland where it would be days before I'd get through Secret Passage to finish quests. Then there was ASCII. If you didn't have an eye on your radar you were cretain to be spawning in town with the message 'You were killed by ASCII'. ;)

He killed me in cube, he was a lvl 100 cleric, i was a lvl 60 wizard ;) Then he said sorry and offered me GS's cuz Kingdom was not rpk faction (i assume was his motivation)​​
    m5arXCN.png
  • dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Options
    prancing wrote: »

He killed me in cube, he was a lvl 100 cleric, i was a lvl 60 wizard ;) Then he said sorry and offered me GS's cuz Kingdom was not rpk faction (i assume was his motivation)​​

Honestly I think he just had a real lack of impulse control. People even tried in his own faction to control his rpk'ing. But it did create some epic events on HL that could never have happened on a pve server, like Ascii rage-kicking his entire faction except for the leader, and then said leader being forced to defend solo vs an entire 40-man faction in TW and actually winning. Oh, and he was an archer. That losing faction disbanded shortly after in shame and humiliation...

Things were crazy back then compared to now...

The biggest drama Da has now is HookaX.

• cyberomega45
    cyberomega45 Posts: 175 Arc User
    Options
    What a concept if someone doesnt want to be killed by being pkd, dont go white name.