Profanity in Forums

eirghan
eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
Just a quick question about forum rules -- Is there an infringement if profanity is "starred" out by a profanity filter built into the forums? Or is this only a violation if there is a work-around or otherwise alteration of the profanity terms used in order to bypass this feature?

Just curious as there have been a few on the fly comments in regards to violation of profanity rules lately and in the past it has always been permitted (or at least ignored) if a user utilizes profanity in a way that other users are protected from it (filtered out).

Just want to know because sometimes we all curse and it seems like a change in pace monkey-41.gif
​​

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    IMHO, if you use profanity and the filter catches it and turns it into *****, It's no big deal and I don't care.

However, if you are purposely circumventing the profanity filter by inserting characters/formatting to make the word appear, or intentionally leaving out that one critical letter so it's not caught by the filter, that's a violation.

Over the past few weeks, I've had to do a LOT of post editing, and have given out several warnings on it. (You can see some user's have the jail bars overlaid on their icon when their warnings reach a high enough level.) This week even Domino has had to take care of it in a few cases.

Imagine what it would be like though if I started picking on all the trolling posts....​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thenamesdomino
    thenamesdomino Posts: 545 Perfect World Employee
    It's real simple... You circumvent the filter, I catch you, you go to jail.

There's plenty of alternate words out there that aren't vulgar.
  • asterelle
    asterelle Posts: 861 Arc User
    @thenamesdomino I will say historically there hasn't been much moderation or attention paid to this community which has caused a lot of forum members to be resentful and openly hostile to PWE actions. The community is frankly used to being like this. I wouldn't dole out permanent punishments just yet until people are used to the new order. There isn't all that much activity left on the forums and I'd hate to lose helpful community members because they are not up to speed on how things are run now.​​
  • eirghan
    Thank you for the clarification that is what i assumed were the rules but i feel much better knowing for sure.

Like asterelle said community has mostly been given pretty free reign in the past. That said given adequate warning i can understand why rules would be enforced. Im sure many are happy with it.
  • sylenthunder
    Being jailed isn't permanent. It's kinda like a time-out. Basically, each time a user has a violation, they are issued a warning. Each warning has a certain number of points. The more points you get, the harsher the jail time.

Severity
    • Notice 0 points
    • Minor 2 points · lasts 1 week
    • Major 3 points · lasts 2 weeks

A couple of people recently have hit Major twice within a day or so.

Example...
    Warning Level 3 · expires December 2

You are jailed.
    •Can't post discussions.
    •Can't post as often.
    •Signature hidden.
    That's what it would look like if you got the 3-point warning today.

When we send warnings, we include a message about why you were warned. Some people just don't listen though...​​

​​
  • eirghan
    edited November 2015
    Sounds fair to me. And a trolling post? I know we have rules against that but what is considered an infringement? There are tons of posts that could be considered trolling which might not be, and many more that dont appear to be a troll when they absolutely are in context. How would these be enforced if they will ever be?
  • thenamesdomino
    thenamesdomino Posts: 545 Perfect World Employee
    Jail terms are 3 weeks in duration and are not permanent, we save banning for those who repeatedly and knowingly break the rules.

There is a way to communicate without getting ugly about it. I encourage being able to disagree in a civil way but when you start demeaning people by using 4 letter words, I draw the line.

We are all people here and regardless of how much you may disagree with another person we all deserve to be treated with decency and respect.
  • shimarra
    shimarra Posts: 192 Arc User

Jail terms are 3 weeks in duration and are not permanent, we save banning for those who repeatedly and knowingly break the rules.

There is a way to communicate without getting ugly about it. I encourage being able to disagree in a civil way but when you start demeaning people by using 4 letter words, I draw the line.

We are all people here and regardless of how much you may disagree with another person we all deserve to be treated with decency and respect.

Does this apply to mods? Because there is one who attacks constantly on forums.

jamesmcd wrote: »

Has anyone twigged to the fact that although china spans 5 geographical timezones it has only 1 standard time + a few special region time zones?

This being so there is no problem for them having xserver NW in china at any given time cause all their servers will be evenly populated (assuming they were in the first place ).

However PWI (perfect world INTERNATIONAL) has players from all the timezones that are blocked from playing PWCN. This first xserver NW excludes all players in the USA that have to work for a living, being just before lunch for west coast people and just after lunch for east coast.

Considering this, it is really no surprise that the european server had around 2 or 3 times more people than any of the other 3. One can only hope that for the sunday xserver NW, no PWI west coast player goes to morning church

Closing this for now. There are already other threads on the subject and I'll merge it into them later.

Also, subbing "xserver" for "cross-server" is just lazy and makes you look like an incompetent child.​​

• cococya
    cococya Posts: 162 Arc User
    Haha @shimarra , incompetent child is what you complain about?
    Be real, you're just hungry for sylen's blood, you seem to have had a run in or two with him in the past.
    Sarcastic, yes, but it isn't insulting nor an attack of any sorts, let alone lack proper, decent language, with no vulgarities.
    ​​
    DeffyNature
  • jadasia
    jadasia Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I manually type in the '*****'s in all my posts. The filter doesn't do it. What is prevalent though is that too many take an opinion which opposes their own as a personal attack or insult. None of my posts are meant to be attacks on anyone. It's just me putting my own ideas out there. And this issue with the NW tokens was me trying to show people how I would make lemonade out of lemons. I try to look at something like that and figure out how to make it work for me and share it. I've done things like too many times to know I can make it work and I tried to share it.

I was not trying to troll anyone. I was trying to put a positive light in the issue. How others decide to take it is their own business and so is how they responded to it. If at times I come across as crude it's because I feel that's the type of person I'm replying to.

People need to stop taking everything so personal. It really makes life miserable.
  • capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    asterelle said:

There isn't all that much activity left on the forums and I'd hate to lose helpful community members because they are not up to speed on how things are run now.

That implies that there are helpful community members.

• dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    @thenamesdomino little too late to be enforcing this now. Besides that, there have been examples that the filter is pretty strict with the words it chooses to censor, sometimes that filter feels like north korea. ****, for example (if you want to see what word that was then just quote me, because apparently the filter is also a piece of **** at doing that in the first place), is censored, why?

I also have to say I find it ironic that you have time to catch these bad, bad people, but you seem to have no time to reply to people's questions.
    Someone needs to get his job priority straight.
    Then again it's only a matter of time until you disappear as well, just like the previous 2 before you, without any notice. So why even bother?
    Can you tell why the community is so bitter towards PWE as a company and towards the reputation CM's have here?

*Edit: just saw your response in your livestream thread.
    The behind closed door thing is nice and all, but your lack of updating your community is still the problem.
    In fact, the lack of communication from PWE towards their playerbase has always been the core issue people have with PWE and their CM. And you're not doing a whole lot better to prove yourself different from the previous CM's when it comes to that.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• eirghan
    I didnt want to start a **** show (ha ha i can say that now! :)) about specific incidents. I have no knowledge of specific individuals infringements. I genuinely just wanted clarification of the rules. So i appreciate the feedback. This thread can be closed if you wish so it doesnt start a big QQ fest about enforcement. Another thread can be started or maintained on the subject.
  • sylenthunder
    See I like open discussions like this, and was thinking about starting a similar thread speaking about the large amount of violations we've been having recently. I'll leave it open for the moment, but do reserve the right to close it if it gets stupid.​​

​​
  • razzzza
    razzzza Posts: 456 Arc User
    wonder why im not banned yet mouse-2.gif​​
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • sylenthunder
    razzzza wrote: »
    wonder why im not banned yet mouse-2.gif
    You walk the line.... samurai-47.gif​​

​​
  • barber
    barber Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Being an old Mod on corporate sites before, namely GameShark (IGN Forums/gameshark had the same boards as IGN for a long time and we got to go to the private IGN boards to talk to the developers when we had problems or suggestions), InterAct, ActionReply, Datel, MadCats and even a short stint on the XCopy forums when they had them for awhile, I can say that these forums are probably the most tame forums I've ever been on.

All I can do is pity the moderators here for the work they have to do and appreciate the work they have to do. Its kind of a double-edge sword sometimes when dealing with people that dont have or dont want to have a clue
    banner01.jpg
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    Quick question, let's say you use a word, which is normal to use, but the censor filter makes it out into ******, would it make sense to go back and circumvent the filter?​​
  • sylenthunder
    The filter does have some bugs. Not that long ago we found the list had a lot of words in it that it shouldn't, and they got removed. If you want to message me a word that shouldn't be on it, but is, I'll pass the word along. I found one a couple days ago that wasn't on the list and needs to be.​​

​​
  • capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    Was it penises?
  • eirghan
    Was probably grasshopper
  • jabq
    jabq Posts: 821 Arc User
    It seems like this thread is becoming "guess what words are on the filter list" onion-51.gif. Will pm you sylenthunder if i find a word like that.​​
  • sindarella
    sindarella Posts: 66 Arc User
    the worst thing about censorship is **************.

what are you? five? your tummy hurts when you see a bad word? fox-18.gif​​
  • mulier
    mulier Posts: 305 Arc User
    censorship in general is a bad thing..... but the topic of this post wasa bout interactions between players, and the way of communicating w/o just bluntly throwing insults all over the place. Which are 2 very different things :)
  • jadasia
    edited November 2015
    mulier said:

censorship in general is a bad thing..... but the topic of this post wasa bout interactions between players, and the way of communicating w/o just bluntly throwing insults all over the place. Which are 2 very different things :)

Yeah, would be really nice for you and some others if you all can trash talk the game, the mods, the CMs, or any other poster on the forum using any particular phrase or words without impunity because of some kind of change you don't agree with, right?

Besides as I already stated way too many people interpret any form of disagreement with their point of view/ideology as a personal attack and they respond in kind.

If someone else has a different opinion and makes a better or worse case for it than one's own and that person get all tore up and offended and makes an absolute fool of themselves in public by feeling a necessity to engage in a campaign of personal attacks and name calling laced with profanity over it than that's their own problem to deal with. Shouldn't be anyone elses.
  • mulier
    mulier Posts: 305 Arc User
    jadasia said:

mulier said:

Yeah, would be really nice for you and some others if you all can trash talk the game, the mods, the CMs, or any other poster on the forum using any particular phrase or words without impunity because of some kind of change you don't agree with, right?

Besides as I already stated way too many people interpret any form of disagreement with their point of view/ideology as a personal attack and they respond in kind.

If someone else has a different opinion and makes a better or worse case for it than one's own and that person get all tore up and offended and makes an absolute fool of themselves in public by feeling a necessity to engage in a campaign of personal attacks and name calling laced with profanity over it than that's their own problem to deal with. Shouldn't be anyone elses.
    back to step 1 , which is actually reading what i wrote.... then u can adress the things i wrote... but making assumption and misinterpreting everything i said... maybe ur just trolling - touche in that case ... if u dont ---> back to step 1 (reading what i said, w/o interpreting it the way you feel like)

have a ncie day/evening

• jadasia
    edited November 2015
    mulier said:

jadasia said:

mulier said:

back to step 1 , which is actually reading what i wrote.... then u can adress the things i wrote... but making assumption and misinterpreting everything i said... maybe ur just trolling - touche in that case ... if u dont ---> back to step 1 (reading what i said, w/o interpreting it the way you feel like)

have a ncie day/evening

And how about you reading what I wrote, pal? Some censorship has its place here because of some of your player interactions are nothing more than insults and personal attacks being thrown all over the place because of PRECISELY WHAT I STATED. Some people in this forum just cannot accept a difference of opinion without interpreting it as a personal attack on him/herself so they rage at the other. Kind of like calling the person you fundamentally disagree with a name like 'troll' because they are arguing against your point.
  • sylenthunder
    Aaand thank you for killing another thread.​​

​​
This discussion has been closed.