Need help

oreowarrior
oreowarrior Posts: 71 Arc User
So, **** happened and i had to reset my comp to factory settings. However i cant reinstall arc. Every time i try it says theres another version of arc setup already running. i really need to have this fixed soon.

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Completely remove any trace of the previous install. (CCleaner is good for this.)

Disable AV software.

Re-install.

Exclude from AV scans.

Otherwise, read the sticky threads and the other recent posts similar to this, and come back with more information.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • oreowarrior

Completely remove any trace of the previous install. (CCleaner is good for this.)

Disable AV software.

Re-install.

Exclude from AV scans.

Otherwise, read the sticky threads and the other recent posts similar to this, and come back with more information.​​

im going to start with, I tried.
    of the 5 things u said to do, i know how to do 2 and 1 is not possible with this problem.
    What i did:
    Reset computer to factory settings(basically like i just took computer out the box)
    went onto pwi home page, found pwi and clicked a button that said something like play for free.
    when it finished downloading that file, i opened it.
    about 35 seconds later it tells me that there is another version of arc setup running on the computer.
    end of story.

What i have since done:
    posted here for info.
    based off ur advice, installed and ran ccleaner.
    no idea how to disable av software or if i even have any. no idea how to exlude from av scans.
    checked the sticky threads, didnt see anything that looke like my problem.
    also searched ARC install problems in the search bar, didnt see anything related.
  • sylenthunder
    Have you rebooted the PC?
    Did you read the information I request for in "BEFORE YOU POST ~ Please Read This"?

It's extremely likely that you have antivirus software on that PC. Either it was packaged in your core installer from the PC maker, or it may be part of Windows depending on your version. I cover those steps in the sticky I mentioned above. Most PC builds come with McAffee or Norton. Windows will have Defender if it's just the OS installer.

As I mentioned in a similar thread that was posted just recently, you will also want to try taking ownership of the folder. I pointed to the instructions for that in the Windows 10 sticky.

I'd love to help more, but you're not giving me much I can work with. Sadly, neither have they so far.​​

​​
  • oreowarrior
    what exactly am i suppose to be taking ownership of?
    an exclude what?
    im going to try an give you more info.
    Im running on windows 7, im having the exact same message the two in that other thread are. i click button, the download folder appears in the tray thingy. i press open when done. i get a small screen that says initializing. 35-2mins later i get the screen they do, that says theres another version of arc setup running. it didnt put any files on my computer. as far as i can tell, it hasnt done anything. i have restarted the computer and tried again, didnt work.
    you now know as much as i do. which isnt much ill grant you.
  • oreowarrior
    i have windows defender for antivirus if that helps.
  • oreowarrior
    bumping to see if theres anything anyone can do
  • sylenthunder
    edited October 2015
    From my Sticky Thread that I've directed you towards already.
    You want the section titled "FILE CORRUPTION ISSUES". Now, I don't cover Windows Defender because it's not on the top 10, and because no one in their right mind should be using it. Google is pretty easy though. The process for each tool is pretty similar, so once you know how one works, it's not hard to figure out the others.​​

​​
  • oreowarrior
    Sry for the late reply sylen,
    tbch, you lose me in your guides, but i understood enough to know that i am definitely not technilogically savvy(at least when it comes to this kinda stuff)
    due to other problems that emerged, i reset the computer back to factory settings again, and this time was able to download Arc successfully.
    i may have figured out what went wrong the first time though. It might be interesting to know if others that had this problem had two Arc downloading in the tray.