test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Community Contest] Foundry Design - "The Portal"

Comments

• valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm sure that all of that is a vengeance from Sir Lucan...

;)
    NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As always, each time there's a foundry event, I'm burned out on the game and taking a break from it, just came back now and the deadline is over :(
    Well, good luck to everyone who submitted and I hope to see lots of interesting quests!
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm sure that all of that is a vengeance from Sir Lucan...

;)

That does it. Next play through, he's getting burned at the stake.
    PS. If you didn't actually script his death, I'll be very disappointed.

Edit:

I am not disappointed. In fact, I giggled a most evil giggle.

XyM13im.jpg
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    For those wondering how "The Visit" managed to make the "rising" out of the portal effect, here's my answer:

Putting an invisible block (10x10x10) below the top of a character will cause the character to "adjust" itself above the block.
    So, given a hidden timer mechanism (a relatively quick one) you could "Appear When" a series of blocks that "bump" the PC up about a foot each time. So if you have 10 rapid timer events, you could "raise" a PC 10' one foot at a time.

I did the same sort of thing in a "pit trap" exploration where I allowed a PC to "climb" a section of rope twice to "climb" out of a 20' deep pit.
  • essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    For those wondering how "The Visit" managed to make the "rising" out of the portal effect, here's my answer:

Putting an invisible block (10x10x10) below the top of a character will cause the character to "adjust" itself above the block.
    So, given a hidden timer mechanism (a relatively quick one) you could "Appear When" a series of blocks that "bump" the PC up about a foot each time. So if you have 10 rapid timer events, you could "raise" a PC 10' one foot at a time.

I did the same sort of thing in a "pit trap" exploration where I allowed a PC to "climb" a section of rope twice to "climb" out of a 20' deep pit.

It's actually the lowering rock volume gate, flipped 180, with a waypoint at the top to trigger solid ground and collision enabled water. The volume gate is triggered to vanish with another waypoint on the stairs.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
    edited April 2015
    essenti wrote: »
    It's actually the lowering rock volume gate, flipped 180, with a waypoint at the top to trigger solid ground and collision enabled water. The volume gate is triggered to vanish with another waypoint on the stairs.

Ah. Nice. Even easier. Forgot about that volume - haven't experimented with it yet.
  • torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    essenti wrote: »

I wondered about this! It seemed a lot 'smoother' than just camera re-adjustment. I was gonna ask but forgot. ;D

Its a very cool effect and will mesh well with my Indiana Jones style foundries, I'll letcha know when it gets used. =D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited April 2015
    Updated:
    • Judging will be calculated on TBD by "actual calculated average" stars of all reviews.

We'll see when all the foundries/entries come back online and probably add a couple weeks.
  • waryurwaryur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is there a final date for judging? Or did it happen and I missed it? 8P
    Hidden Valley Ranch - NW-DPNGENL6E D&D Adventures Part I
    House of 1000 Corpses - NW-DIEYVLCML D&D Adventures Part II
    Well of Dragons - NW-DTPJEKZCT Third Place Winner CotD Foundry Contest
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 1 - NW-DM8GHAME2 Monty Python!
    It's Just a Flesh Wound Pt. 2 - NW-DFADOS4EX Monty Python!
  • gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nothing's judged yet. Since the Foundry was down for quite awhile after Mod6, the contest date was pushed back in order to give the entries some more play time.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!
    edited April 2015
    The foundry seems to be stable. I think we can set a new 'vote by' date? June 1st? .. hopefully Strumslinger can give us some advertising on the next livestream to get some more voters..

We had brought it up with Akro before his departure and he was super receptive, even said he would Feature all 8 of the entries!

Strum, can we get a nod? ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited April 2015
    Updated:

Judging will be calculated on June 1st at 11:59pm PST by "actual calculated average."

That should give everyone some judging time. :cool:
    edited April 2015
    We had brought it up with Akro before his departure and he was super receptive, even said he would Feature all 8 of the entries!

Strum, can we get a nod? ;D

I just PM'ed Strumslinger as well with all the little descriptive bits, the official entries, and query if Cryptic could provide any featuring, or additional prize trinkets.
  • kaomwannabekaomwannabe Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Um my map is broken, cant seem to figure out how to fix the map transition. Hopefully i can find a fix. Anyways I feel like ive already been voted against unfairly, so im not in the running to win, so im going to be republishing even though the publish time has passed.
    edited April 2015
    Um my map is broken, cant seem to figure out how to fix the map transition. Hopefully i can find a fix. Anyways I feel like ive already been voted against unfairly, so im not in the running to win, so im going to be republishing even though the publish time has passed.

If you can just fix the map transition and not update anything else, I'll do a verification run through and keep you on the official entries list. ;)
    edited May 2015
    Everyone should be sure to "submit to cryptic for featuring" !!

It needs to be done to get your entry featured! =D Hopefully we can get all 8 submitted before patchday thursday
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited May 2015
    Everyone should be sure to "submit to cryptic for featuring" !!

It needs to be done to get your entry featured! =D Hopefully we can get all 8 submitted before patchday thursday

Whoa... I don't think there's been any guarantee that the entries will be featured at all.
    edited May 2015
    waryur wrote: »
    Whoa... I don't think there's been any guarantee that the entries will be featured at all.

nope. no guarantee. but they wont feature any that havent been submitted.
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited May 2015
    Something else thought of.

Eldarth, could we be allowed to edit quest descriptions, and descriptions only, to reflect that it's NOT a full quest, as the contest is for ambience and visuals, as to deter the rank 1 stars complaining about it not being a full quest? Maybe a standard format/sentence that is the same for all entries to have in their description?
    We'll get bad reviews anyway, as some people don't read. But just a thought.
    edited May 2015
    waryur wrote: »
    Something else thought of.

Eldarth, could we be allowed to edit quest descriptions, and descriptions only, to reflect that it's NOT a full quest, as the contest is for ambience and visuals, as to deter the rank 1 stars complaining about it not being a full quest? Maybe a standard format/sentence that is the same for all entries to have in their description?
    We'll get bad reviews anyway, as some people don't read. But just a thought.

Sure, sounds okay. Locksheon (@gornonthecob) twitch streamed all the entrants, so no sense anyone making any real visual changes.
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    This is looking great! Good job, guys!

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

edited May 2015
    This is looking great! Good job, guys!

Thumbs up! We need people to play and vote on those 8 'Contest Portal' entries though!

Anything you can do? A post in the launcher? Im sure you can grab 8 screenshots from Locksheon's playthrough video and make a collage of the activated portals and let players know if they search "contest portal" they find all 8? ;D ;D

(if you agree, I'll even go get the screenshots for ya ;D)
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited May 2015
    Anything you can do? A post in the launcher? Im sure you can grab 8 screenshots from Locksheon's playthrough video and make a collage of the activated portals and let players know if they search "contest portal" they find all 8? ;D ;D

I've been PM'ing with him and he was looking at doing a blog and was thinking of featuring but didn't want to "favor" anyone who was featured. I think he didn't realize we had a TOTAL of EIGHT final contestants, so prehaps they can get featured as well. He is also looking into padding the winner/2nd-place somehow -- perhaps some some Zen. I suggested maybe a few Enchanted Keys and maybe some zen for a more complete quest contest not just this little visual eye-candy contest.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I enjoyed many of these entries, my top 2 favorites were the one where you travel to an alien planet, and the one where you go to the elven ruins. <3
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    I've been PM'ing with him and he was looking at doing a blog and was thinking of featuring but didn't want to "favor" anyone who was featured. I think he didn't realize we had a TOTAL of EIGHT final contestants, so prehaps they can get featured as well. He is also looking into padding the winner/2nd-place somehow -- perhaps some some Zen. I suggested maybe a few Enchanted Keys and maybe some zen for a more complete quest contest not just this little visual eye-candy contest.

My bad! I thought submissions were still coming in. I will feature the eight final contestants! :D

edited May 2015

• kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Awesome!

Way to go guys! I'll try to play them :)

Nice work!
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So just a suggestion. Last time Akro tried to do something like this, very, very, very few people actually played and reviewed the quests.

Perhaps you could offer some random prizes for people who submit a review. Maybe randomly reward a few Giant Miniature Space Hamsters randomly to people who take the time to write a review.

I can imagine that would help boost the participation on the reviewer side.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited May 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    So just a suggestion. Last time Akro tried to do something like this, very, very, very few people actually played and reviewed the quests.

Perhaps you could offer some random prizes for people who submit a review. Maybe randomly reward a few Giant Miniature Space Hamsters randomly to people who take the time to write a review.

I can imagine that would help boost the participation on the reviewer side.

this is why we need real rewards for playing foundrys. =X no one bothers because it doesnt advance their characters progression at all.
    Thanks for all the fish.
    edited May 2015

Space Hamsters?! Awesome! Thanks Strum. ;D
    Thanks for all the fish.