test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Additional Companion Changes Updates

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
Howdy all! Menzoberranzan is live and we wanted to make a few quick comments on the current, and upcoming, companion changes.

Our first round of updates hit with Menzoberranzan, and we updated a lot of the companions in Neverwinter, but not all of them. We hope that old favorites, like the Pseudodragon, are still seen as viable, but we hope players are finding many of our other companions are far more competitive. We know a few, like the Incubus, took some hits as we addressed bugs or significant imbalances, but we tried to power-up many companions to viable and playable levels.

We will have another patch within the next few weeks that will update more companions. A few of those were erroneously listed in our first draft of patch notes, such as the Cold Iron Warrior and Angel of Protection. We'll be improving those in the next patch, and improving a number of other companions, such as insuring our 'starter' companions perform more consistently. We don't expect every companion to perform the same, or for them all to be 'top tier', but we hope to get all companions (over time) to a solid, playable level.

We're hitting a number of support/healer companions in that patch too, such as the Fawns, to try and open up some more options for players. We don't believe we've 'nailed' support/healing companion balance just yet, but we know there is room to make many of them MUCH better as we work on their balance.

We are aware of a balance issue regarding our new companion, the Blaspheme Assassin. The stacking mechanic will be updated, such that the companion does not perform differently in groups than when used solo. That mistake is on us, and we apologize for it, but it will be corrected swiftly to prevent it from becoming polarizing.

Lastly, we want players to know that companions have a degree of randomness in their damage outputs and skill usage. Please take measurements of their raw damage output as rough estimates as a result. There is as much as +\- 10% randomness on some companion's performance, so depending on luck, a companion that deals 525 damage in one test might actually be the same as one that scored 475. General rankings are good to insure we hit a consistent balance, but don't sweat the details too much if your favorite companion was only 3% lower than another.

We are open to feedback on the current, and future changes, and we hope to continue to improve companions (of many types) as we make them a more interesting and diverse tool for players in Neverwinter.

Thank you for playing, and we'll see you in Menzoberranzan!

Comments

• Options
    hardrockl1lhardrockl1l Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    Hi @percemer and @nitocris83 ,
    I appreciate the update announcement here with more companion changes coming. I appreciate the works that the Devs are putting in trying to balance companions, and also admitted/owned the mistake on their part. We are not perfect, so acknowledging it and do your best to make corrections and communication to be transparent are great!
    Many players including me already got very frustrated with the RNG in mToS dungeon, and now with this mention of companion changes involving the RNG factor!!!
    For example, a master dungeon like mToS with such difficulty and complexity mechanics should NEVER be added the RNG factor in it. It should be designed if players spent so much time and resources into learning mechanics and accomplish those mechanics correctly, then they should be able to proceed to completion of a boss fight accordingly. Instead, the Devs designed with the RNG into the boss fight like first boss where bad “RNG” throws in with back to back barrels, not just 2 barrels back to back, but sometimes with 3 barrels one after another! Then the design of last boss not following any aggro/thread rule of Tanks and just RNG jumping on top of cocoons totally caused players not able to free person out of cocoon and hence, have to wipe and redo over and over!

So similarly, the concept of “luck” or 10%+/- RNG for companions to do high dmg or low dmg doesn’t sit well for any player who spends or invest heavily expensively to obtain a companion and upgrade it to mythic. Why would players spend that much for a companion that they know are not consistent! Please lock at those existing companions that even has equipped bonus of 10% chance to do this and that for players, and see how many players even use those as part of their set up build (via Companion Equipped Bonuses page). Very little if any player even use one of those companions, they are probably new players who has no knowledge about those companions or how to test. There are many of these companions not being used and no one even want to buy, so many players ended up either discard or sell to vendors for some silvers as they don’t have room to store those junk companions! These kind of changes with RNG will just keep making players frustrated and not wanting to play the game. We already lost so many players veterans and can’t even hold new players long enough as they quit shortly from all the frustration!
    So please reconsider not going with this RNG route on companion changes/updates.
    Thanks for reading my feedback!
  • Options
    admiralwarlord#3792 admiralwarlord Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    Hell Hound is one of the companions that I like the most, but there is a problem, when he launches the fireball he remains close to the target, it would be interesting if he executes the same mechanic of Renegade Invoker that takes a few steps back before executing the mechanic of power.

Xuna still has the problem of the area of effect of her jump that makes her take the aggro of waves of mobs that should not be started (I tested her in a mToS and that resulted in some deaths in the group I was in) . I also believe that she falls in arenas that are platforms, this problem didn't just happen to her, but it's common for teammates to be permanently dead in CoDG and Tiamat.
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User

I also believe that she falls in arenas that are platforms, this problem didn't just happen to her, but it's common for teammates to be permanently dead in CoDG and Tiamat.

That is just a problem of pride. For companions, giving anyone CA is such a disgrace that they would rather jump a cliff than let it happen.
  • Options
    mparcher#3106 mparcher Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    The Blaspheme Assassin could be good but it's not. It has a debuff power called Faerie Fire. It applies a 1000 defense/deflect debuff to the enemy but it's not working. Please fix this quickly.
  • Options
    kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    The changes to support companions sound good. I'm certainly looking forward to them. The reference to the fawns and the angel of protection leaves me the impression, the devs indeed took the feedback to heart. A welcoming surprise for sure. Usually game developers ask for feedback, but then never make anything with it and instead proceed to make random changes.

However, I'm uncertain what to make of the statement regarding the randomness of a companions performance. We already have several rng-based statistics like critical chance and severity, as well as the opponents deflect chance and severity that have a huge influence on a players and companions performance. Do we really need another varying (also invisible) factor on top of these?

Like, when we are going to test our companions, should it really look like this?

First round: the companion used their strongest attack — but shoot, it didn't crit!
    Second round: the companion used their strongest attack — but shoot, it didn't crit and it got deflected!
    Third round: the companion used their strongest attack, it was a critical hit — but shoot, it got deflected!
    Fourth round: the companion used their strongest attack, it was a critical hit and didn't get deflected — but shoot, for whatever reason it was still weaker than it should have been!
    Fifth round: the companion used their strongest attack, it was a critical hit and didn't get deflected. It actually got to deal its absolute optimum — rejoice!
  • Options
    rockster#6227 rockster Member Posts: 1,860 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Post edited by rockster#6227 on
    Apparently pointing-out the bleeding obvious is a 'personal attack'.
  • Options
    greenranger666greenranger666 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Not all roles have companions that help them as good as others. For example, Tanks have it the worst when it comes to balancing stats, because not enough support role companions exist to do so. This meaning that there may be 6 or 7 companions with tank % stat increases, but not all with different combinations enough to make multiple builds.

When a tank needs to swap to 5 companions that have a hybrid %critical avoidance & Awareness, we can't because only one companion exists that has that combination. And or the rest can't be put in the correct slot. Meaning it would be helpful if all companions could go in ANY slot. And it would be helpful if there were 5 different companions that shared the same %stat combination, for each possible combination of stat% & that each one could go in each of the different slots. This so we could concentrate on what we need at the time, with a variety of builds made possible.

PS: The amount of currency needed to upgrade a companion, should he severely reduced, or just completely removed. And just have companions exist as mythic and never need to be upgraded.

PPS:There are tons of MMORPG that make their money through fashion and quality of life, without the need to sell progression in their cash shop(pay to win), or resort to gacha game loot box tactics.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    I've had to retire the Redcap Powrie from use. Her problem is that her windup is so long that the enemy she targets is often dead by the time she launches her attack. It would be much better if she could switch targets to a live enemy if the one she originally targeted is already dead.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 408 Arc User

The Blaspheme Assassin could be good but it's not. It has a debuff power called Faerie Fire. It applies a 1000 defense/deflect debuff to the enemy but it's not working. Please fix this quickly.

She falls off things and dies permanently as well... twice I have finished Crown of Keldegonn without her :s

• Options
    garetjaxivmgaretjaxivm Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Is anyone else getting a 3.8% tooltip on Companion - Flumph when it should be 7.5%?
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    @percemer Recent changes to Abyssal Chicken removed the daze effect of the Swarm power - removed the last shred of utility the companion actually had.
  • Options
    noirdesire75noirdesire75 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Devs forgot to mention/fix : Linu La'neral in support companion, something changed in this companion?

thanks!

• Options
    jana#2651 jana Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    I wish someone would tell me what RNG and CA or DMG is. They almost sound like drugs. If companions did the same thing in every scenario I think it would be boring. Honey Badger is a great companion, only once in a while does she die but she comes back quick. and she is wonderful at attacking little annoying spiders while you go get the big guys. The green Bowman I swear does better than his statistics. he's great, and that fire gollum that looks like Ben in the old fantastic four comic strip-wherever there is lava he is unmeltable. I hear great things about the blaspheme assasin then bad things, seriously honey badge is a star.
  • Options
    I forgot to ask redjackal how a companion can break your combat advantage?
  • Options
    johnnystranger#5900 johnnystranger Member Posts: 461 Arc User
    > @jana#2651 said:
    > I forgot to ask redjackal how a companion can break your combat advantage?
    Your companion takes up his place by enemy, you move to other side so both , you and companion have CA ( Combat Advantage) . However , many times as soon as you get to a different side , to deal CA DMG ( Damage ) , your comp moves beside you disabling your CA . Is it RNG ( Random Number Generator) that cause the companion to do this ?
    I have witnessed many enemy groups moving to always to get CA so I think there is an AI ( Artificial Intelligence) problem with many companions move set and positioning.
  • Options
    Thank you johnnystranger. I would never have guessed RNG was Random number generator. I thought the r was ring or roaring or something. There are powers that increase when companion is near, if you have a companion that likes to be close those are probably best to have, but it is nice if one stays on the other side so you can get both sides of something.
  • Options
    rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    Any plans to fix the companion equip bonus on jagged dancing blade that offers a chance on encounter use to reduce the target's defense by 7.5%? It currently doesn't work...and it would be awesome if it did.