test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Any way to get a mount before 22?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
edited June 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Sorry if this is a common question, but I didn't see it in the FAQ. Anyway, from the mount page on the wiki it sounds like you have to be level 22 to use a mount. Is there any way to buy the skill early?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You cannot use a mount before level 20. Sure, you could buy one and have it in your inventory before then, but you cannot actually equip or use it.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »
    You cannot use a mount before level 20. Sure, you could buy one and have it in your inventory before then, but you cannot actually equip or use it.

Thanks for the confirmation. That said, that seems like an odd business decision. I'm enjoying the game right now, and want to buy a mount, but the truth is I've started and stopped this game several times. Cryptic would be better off getting my money right now when I'm wanting to spend it rather than making me wait =P

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    The design decision was to have people learn the controls and get used to the world and environment before giving them access to mounts. It's done on purpose so you are being slowly introduced to skill nodes and other interactable objects and learn what to look for while playing without racing past them on a mount.

The only time it becomes annoying is when creating a new character as an experienced player. The limit is for every character below level 20 so can become quite irritating to experienced players. However level 20 does not take long to reach. It's not more than an hour if you stick to the main storylines.

In short, what you're saying doesn't play a role in real practice.

If anything it would be more likely to prevent people who jump in and spend money right away from deciding to ask for a refund or worse yet do a charge-back because they decided after an hour they did not enjoy the game than it would be to dissuade a person that is enjoying the game from playing just because they have to wait an hour before they can use a mount.
  • Options
    nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well, contrary to popular belief, it's not ALL about taking people's money. There are still some portions of this game that adhere to the old concept of gated progression (minimal but consistent progression of skills, items, etc yields tangible achievements which produces more consistent satisfaction and is more likely to result in players that "want" to play as opposed to players that feel they "need" to play in a non-addiction sense of the word, but more so to be competitive or remain viable -- which is kinda the case now). Most of the game, up to lvl60 holds true in some sense to that mentality.

When it was said that some players can "buy" a mount before lvl 20, that's not necessarily in regards to Zen. You can purchase standard mounts in game through the mount vendor, or through the AH for minimal AD. You might even be able to yourself a pig or a more rare mount.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Most MMOs limit when you can start riding a mount. Some you get them sooner, some later, some around the same level. In any case, as the poster above me stated, it's all about time-gating as the level restriction is an implication of. Even if you do purchase a mount prior to level 20, you cannot ride it until you're level 20.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yet you can use a companion from the start, even though in game you do not get the companion quest until level 15. Now granted summoned non-augment companions cause some problems on a few quests in Blacklake district.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yet you can use a companion from the start, even though in game you do not get the companion quest until level 15. Now granted summoned non-augment companions cause some problems on a few quests in Blacklake district.

You're comparing apples to oranges - A companion doesn't allow you to ignore/bypass content, like a mount does. In fact, if you look at the early zones, they tend to be smaller, as if they were designed with characters on foot in mind. Forcing the player to run everywhere also instills a sense of enemy aggro range, along with what groups you can or cannot skirt around.

Yes, it's a bit cumbersome if you're a veteran player, but in that case, you'll probably have a few XP tomes on hand, which you can use to reduce that time without a mount
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    An experienced player can get to level 20 in a day or 2. I started an OP yesterday and he's level 19 now.
    The design decision was to have people learn the controls and get used to the world and environment before giving them access to mounts. It's done on purpose so you are being slowly introduced to skill nodes and other interactable objects and learn what to look for while playing without racing past them on a mount.

The only time it becomes annoying is when creating a new character as an experienced player. The limit is for every character below level 20 so can become quite irritating to experienced players. However level 20 does not take long to reach. It's not more than an hour if you stick to the main storylines.

In short, what you're saying doesn't play a role in real practice.

If anything it would be more likely to prevent people who jump in and spend money right away from deciding to ask for a refund or worse yet do a charge-back because they decided after an hour they did not enjoy the game than it would be to dissuade a person that is enjoying the game from playing just because they have to wait an hour before they can use a mount.
  • Options
    skitzopyroskitzopyro Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The quest "False Idols" used to award 1k AD which you would be able to use to buy a mount to use by 20 but now it doesn't... some magic stealth nerf apparently. Now you would have to run a Skirmish during Skirmish hour. Blacklake defense or what ever its called.
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Before I knew that Zen mounts were account bound, I bought my 2 other toons a mount... with my main. They had them immediately... but could not use them.
    I understand and believe the theories behind addressing the issue after all the game dynamics have been worked through.

All of my toons also used the Storm Rider... that I somehow got for my entire account... soon after I got to PE.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    An experienced player can get to level 20 in a day or 2. I started an OP yesterday and he's level 19 now.

Days are relative and how quickly you progress is determined by how much thought you put into the content. There are people who binged Level 1-60 in 24 hour straight live streams. Sure it might not take you an hour but it will take an hour to an hour and a half on average. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Days are relative and how quickly you progress is determined by how much thought you put into the content. There are people who binged Level 1-60 in 24 hour straight live streams. Sure it might not take you an hour but it will take an hour to an hour and a half on average. :)

On a related note, one of the double XP boosters + 6 of the 5K XP tomes will get you to 20 immediately.