test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Paladin Is Too Slow, Gets Caught in Red Zones.

kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Citadel
When my Paladin is fighting mobs, lets use Yeti's as an example, they spam red zones, and the problem is I need to be close to them to hit them. I am swingin' my mace with at-wills and hitting encounters, and while I m in mid-swing the Yeti drops his red zone on me, so i want to run out immediately, but because I had just clicked attack and am in mid-swing I cannot move. My feet are stuck until the animation of my attack ends. This is causing me to get caught in these red zone attacks. This is the only character I have where this problem has raised it's ugly head.

And this is just fighting vanilla landscape mobs, I shudder to think how I would perform like this in a tough dungeon.

Anyone else getting this?
Post edited by kurtb88 on

Comments

• wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    yeah, had same thing, cant move til animation are done, always get caught in red rings at bad timings, it hard to jump sideways to avoid.

it seem any tanks who might have hidden penalities that we dont know except devs by wearing plates, might need more dark enchants for movement buffs.
    characters in melee template from other games are faster with weapons and "physically trained" with plates, but tanks in NWO are so terrible too slow.
  • kurtb88kurtb88 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am oath of devotion. if i have the ability to block i never knew it existed.
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, oath of devotion is not going to have fun in IWD solo, I know you're used to not using shift but you can also use it to interrupt your current animation (much like other classes) and move immediately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Both Burning Light and Templar's Wrath will stop a Yeti's (and Bear Rider's) zone attack animation, just FYI. As a Protection spec I tend to just stand there and laugh at them while they do their attacks...
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Invest in 12 dark for movement.
    Or make GF. Then you'll feel to be uber fast.
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yes, Oath of devotion is slow and struggles to do IWD dailies if playing alone. I would, during the interim, party up with 1 or more people, hopefully it does get a personal buff though. If you have burning guidance, you can summon a non augment companion and then in the process of healing them it will proc and deal damage, but other then that, there is no way of outputting large amounts of damage on your own. In a party though, it excels and is brilliant and I am sure there is someone willing to party up with you as you will both be able to do things much faster then if doing stuff alone.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    What I meant was using shift to abort the animation. I guessed wrong about what it usually does on an OP. My bad. I don't play one.

Even on a Devotion spec, Sanctuary gives damage resistance and CC immunity. I probably end up using it more on my DevOP than my husband uses it on his ProtOP because of being squishier.

I am not suggesting that hitting shift will always immediately do what you want it to do, because sometimes it doesn't come up, but yes, Devotion can block.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Problems for me arize when a red circle appears under me when I'm 'locked in place' because I casted a Cure Wounds or just swung my axe. To respond the the OP's comment about the Dungeons: Traven Blackburn's firebombs will give you a hell of a hard time.

I had been trying ECC legit - no bug using - when I finally got my Devotion Paladin up to snuff. The party I ran with were mostly people I had met sometime before and they are all excellent players. We were making good progress - Traven at 50% or so and we had survived multiple uses of the Keg - when Traven suddenly decided he needed to firebomb me more. As a Devotion spec, you *have* to dodge that bomb, because Heroism and Sanctuary will not save you. However, even though I reacted within nanoseconds, I never made it outside of the red zone. Instagib. GG WP. Of course, this may be attributed to lag, and I strongly suspect some red zones are actually larger than the graphic shows, but it was frustrating to say the least.

Next couple of runs he - Traven - just kept firebombing me. I'm normally rather calm and collected, but this almost made me rage quit. And I felt like I was letting the team down massively. We'd be doing alright and two firebombs later I'd be dead on the floor and they'd be without a healer.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • mungsumungsu Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The problem is that the blocking animation is slow too. For most red zones you have to hit shift as soon as you see red. Then you have to wait for the hit, which could be time spent doing "damage" (in quotes because we are taking about Paladins). I've found that in most zones it's just more efficient to take the hit and keep swinging. I can get up off the ground faster that I can go into a block. Luckily we have a carp-load of HP and can take the big hits.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jaegernl wrote: »
    Problems for me arize when a red circle appears under me when I'm 'locked in place' because I casted a Cure Wounds or just swung my axe.

SHIFT (Sanctuary on an OP) should break the animation locking you in place. Due to delays in communication between you and the server and how well you time it, this may not always work and you will sometimes still put the ability you interrupted on cooldown. But if you react quickly it should work more often than not. There may be some abilities on some classes that cannot be interrupted by SHIFT.
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Aye, I know. But that comment should be read with the rest of the post. Those firebombs are alright if you're constantly moving, but that single Cure Wounds with a short hit on SHIFT make them - at least for me - quite hard to dodge.

Worth pointing out, though, that Relentless Avenger - as a Devotion Paladin - can sometimes be used as a kind of 'ghetto dodge' when targeting a teammate.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
  • deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    Invest in 12 dark for movement.
    Or make GF. Then you'll feel to be uber fast.
    You mean GWF right?