test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CW in PvP

onigokkoonigokko Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PvP Discussion
Ive looked through the Wizard forums but didnt see much about PvP.

Im curious about a good PvP build for CW, im 50 ATM and have just been following the big Spellstorm guide in the forums in regards to leveling up skills.
Post edited by onigokko on

Comments

• Options
    x3n0forumx3n0forum Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm not an expert on CW builds, I just tend to do my own thing, but I'll just mention a few things that I picked up here & there:

- The renegade capstone feat works really well in PvP when you are working in teams, especially the heal. Chilling presence class feature, combined with Chilling Advantage feat + Storm Spell class feature = big damage. Overall, Renegade plays really nice in teams, buffing allies & such.

- Looking at the Thaumaturge tree, it seems to have lot of damage-boosting feats, but I can't say much about it beyod that. Spell Twisting looks pretty **** powerful though. I'll let proper thaums comment on that.

- Oppressor is the big control spec, and as such is quite effective in both team fights and 1v1 situations. The Icy Veins feat allows you to basically instant-freeze anyone coming in melee range with icy terrain, alacrity mean you'll be able to cast icy terrain & entangling force often, glacial movement allows you to ray-freeze people faster & boosts the orb of imposition class feature (in theory, I heard it wasn't working during the previous mod). Of course, you'll be doing scratch damage compared to the other two specs.
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    you should use focused wizadry for a PvP spec.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Macjae Wrote .....

CWs in PvP are very strong in group fights, not quite so strong in 1v1s. Expect to lose against all classes in 1v1 situations except SW,

As A Cw I win most 1 v 1s not lose them ....
  • Options
    obsydian666obsydian666 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kalina311 wrote: »
    Macjae Wrote .....

CWs in PvP are very strong in group fights, not quite so strong in 1v1s. Expect to lose against all classes in 1v1 situations except SW,

i am waiting for movie from your "wins" against other classes especially GFs and TRs :)

+ 1 for Macjae post
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Winning most 1 v 1s and wining 1 vs 1` against op in full gear bis players and classes in specific situations are two different statements and situations
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @obsydian666

AS A BIS CW yourself tell me that you dont destroy at least 80% of TRs and GFs you meet
    I have seen videos of you melting gfs btw from top guilds
    I agree against certain classes we do have hard time when equal geared
    I agree that a Lot of kills come from 2 v 1

P>S I dont have to post any Videos to make my statement and personal experience true you are the one that brought video into this
    And if I do show video you will just say well that guy is not From EOA or ABsolute or whatever therefore your results are invalid

P,S,S when you are in the top pages of the leaderboard of course you win more and feel that you win 1v1s more

P.S.S.S against full premades I agree with everyone's assessments of where the classes stand

P.S.S.S so in low to mid level pvp that the original poster was asking about how does a Cw fare how is the class balance distribution that is another question entirely and that was the mode/perspective I was answering for
  • Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I agree with kalina311 here. Cw behaves well in low to mid gear range in 1vs1. I think macjae give some good suggestions with powers. I just want to say thauma path with icy vein in oppressor path should also work well in pvp. Maybe even better in pvp than renegate if you have 2k to 3k gear. Burst damage + control. In mod 6, I only play gg. Because gear gap is too large now, and some gears just broken OP.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    onigokko wrote: »
    Ive looked through the Wizard forums but didnt see much about PvP.

Im curious about a good PvP build for CW, im 50 ATM and have just been following the big Spellstorm guide in the forums in regards to leveling up skills.

I'm no expert either but I'd say ss reneg to capstone and then oppressor to icy veins or thaum to spell twisting. That's just feats. Others here have given good advice.

CW is a PvP beast so don't expect much in the way of current PvP builds. Mod 7 the mod 6 builds will come out. No one likes being nerfed.
  • Options
    onigokkoonigokko Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    What about stats? Is it INT/CHA like PvE?
  • Options
    obsydian666obsydian666 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    @obsydian666

AS A BIS CW yourself tell me that you dont destroy at least 80% of TRs and GFs you meet
    I have seen videos of you melting gfs btw from top guilds
    I agree against certain classes we do have hard time when equal geared
    I agree that a Lot of kills come from 2 v 1

P>S I dont have to post any Videos to make my statement and personal experience true you are the one that brought video into this
    And if I do show video you will just say well that guy is not From EOA or ABsolute or whatever therefore your results are invalid

P,S,S when you are in the top pages of the leaderboard of course you win more and feel that you win 1v1s more

P.S.S.S against full premades I agree with everyone's assessments of where the classes stand

P.S.S.S so in low to mid level pvp that the original poster was asking about how does a Cw fare how is the class balance distribution that is another question entirely and that was the mode/perspective I was answering for

Yes, you have right, as a almost BiS CW (i have all 11 and soon 12), i beat a lot of people. As you noticed, I killed most of different classes including TRs and GFs. I killed also GFs and TRs from top guilds, thats right, but...i met also BiS GFs, TRs and HRs who know how to fight against CW and they don't even left me a shadov of chance to win against them, Grilzz for example, he just crushed me by throwing a few daggers. He is better geared than me? Maybe a little but not enough to kill me in 10 seconds with my gear, he is more skilled than me? I have no even chance to try different skills on him becouse i am melting in seconds, he is using OP toys like Whell of Elements- maybe ( GF are, a lot of them). I think i am quite experienced CW with good eq, and i don't want to write big, long and boring posts from different reasons but main is simple- for now i am boring of this game. Macjae captured it in a few sentences, i know he is very good player and I subscribes to his post, with 1 little difference- every class can be good to play in group in pvp, i can't see a big difference between CWs and other classes, but maybe this is the result of my boredom of this game. So in short...

From my perspective:
    CW vs TR- no single chance against TR from long time
    CW vs GF- WoE made them 2/3 shotted everything, even TRs, this artifact made them crazy, i want to try pvp against GF without broken tolls, for now- no chance against GF
    CW vs GWF- 50/50- i think for now it is fair fight, but i can be wrong i stop pvping some time ago
    CW vs HR- you have chance if you slot MoCH and HR is stupid enough to do not avoid it, little chance to win againts HR
    CW vs SW- i dont know o_O, heard about bug which makes them immortals, but it is even hard to meet some SWs
    CW vs DC- Hmmm...eternal fight, with elven battle enchant- no chance to kill them
    CW vs Pally- what can i say?:) good luck d(^.^)b

CW is **** in this module.
  • Options
    hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Macjae Wrote .....

^^^^^

+1 to this man.A CW with balls.Admiting CW is a very strong class in pvp.As for other posters that participated in this thread,mainly the 2 vocal CWs:

They just have a cunning fox-viper mentality ,they take pleasure from crying and complaining ,making a false image of themselves and their class;
    So when an unsuspected char meets them in pvp,he goes relaxed.
    that is his death sentence.
    This whole situation gives them pleasure.

Reality is CW by stats was the second strongest class in mod5 in top pages after TR.In whole pages he was n1.
    In mod6 Cw is again among the top dogs.CW/TR all over again.

Cw is among the easiest class to play,if not the most .Massive damage from just keep pressing one button,80% DR(for fuuucks sake),4 long dodges,1 sec immunity damage frame after dodge.Massive control.Immense hp pool.Ignoring 66% of tenacity cause they have high friends in cryptic dev department.
    (Which as seen in videos whenever they participated,they play Cw class...that is a fact)

I don't know what is happening with CW community.Really.Oh wait.I think i know.

Well as most other classes will attest....most Cws are played by gamers with low gameplay reflexes.Their eye hand coordination is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor.

Cause as an easy class attracts the most noooob players.That is a FACT.They are the equivalent of Mod2 GWFs ,Mod3 HRs and Mod5 TRs.
    Only difference?these classes had a linited time being comlpete broken.While dear CW is broken since mod2 and onwards.
    ofcourse they are top notch gameplay ability gamers playing CWs.These are that dominate in leaderboard.(and never complain like Alt,etc).but are the minority.

But the misconception of Cw being weak is made from poor gamers that play an OP class.These are the 90% majority.And they play it badly.They can't keep thier dinstance from Gfs for gods sake!!!! Or they cannot time their dodges 4 times in a row they make a mistake.How bad can that be?Answer:Abysmal.

What i read here made my eyes hurt.So much falsified info and propaganda.Ponder and wonder.

And ofcourse in every pvp thread the Cws will attack not the Trs not the OPs not the GWfs..Their problem is a derelict class with abysmal low pvp population.GF.
    Well every schisofreniac in mental institutes have an obssesion;Wizards in NW are afraid of GFs.What to say...
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    onigokko wrote: »
    What about stats? Is it INT/CHA like PvE?

You don't need any good stat allocation.
    Hell even making a dwarf CW with main cha stat won't make any difference.You will dominate if you do what i tell you :)

Just slot Shield on Spell mastery.Buy some blue tenacity gear from Ah for 15k.

Shield on tab, and your rotation should be, Entagle,Repel,Disintegrate.
    Dailies:Oppresive force ,use in nodes, Ice Knife in 1vs1.

At wills:ray of frost.Choose an othe for second.

Tactics:

Mount your horse.Jump dawn of dom spwan area.Stay in 40-50 feet dinstance from node.keep pressing righ clicking,ray of frost.
    if the passives don't kill your rank9+ enemy and manages to come close don't worry:
    press shift.If you make a mistake don't worry:press shift second time.
    If again miscalculate don't worry.pres shift and dodge for theird time.

You did a mistake again?Don't worry.press shift again.

Ok..you did all these and still Gf is on melee range.Gf is op and nneds a nerf.But that's a matter for another discusion.back to topic.

Even if the GF managed after your 4 wrong timed dodges to catch you don't worry.With shield on tab you have 80% DR.He will scratch you.Your dodged is refill.press dodge and start using your encounters cause many CWs forget to use tham and fell asleep on their keyboard.
    Grats.You kill the GF.

:):p
  • Options
    bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Winning most 1 v 1s and wining 1 vs 1` against op in full gear bis players and classes in specific situations are two different statements and situations

Let's set up 1v1 against TR , perma-daze HR, GF, OP with comparable gear and skill. I doubt that you can beat them consistently. Your winning chance against these classes is definitely lower than 50%.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    LOL. I do find it funny that people reference GrillZ so much. He's not only BiS, he's using apex - build MI Saboteur with Lostmauth set. Totally stacking power and on top of all that, he's a good player. I get your points, but he's not a good representative of all TR's. If not for ItC, you'd likely have a fair chance.

I saw some videos too ... facing a OP class with broken set/artifact, on top a very, very scilled player is no reference to say my class is weak and need tons of buffs
    these TR-builds kill my class, and most other classes from stealth 4 times in a row in seconds....
    only class that can face them are equally broken "perma-daily-paladins" I guess, right?
  • Options
    x3n0forumx3n0forum Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    macjae wrote: »
    *Lots of stuff on CW*

Chimming in as one of the rare Oppressors:
    In terms of control, I'd give a slight edge to perma-daze HR, as I feel they can cast faster and have more escaping mechanisms.

Assuming roughly equal gear:
    - GFs and OP are a no-go i 1 on 1 situations
    - perma daze HR depends on whether you manage to land a repel & chain you CC properly
    - I can usually deal with DCs and GWFs without too much trouble, although it can take quite a while to bring them down
    - TR's are dangerous, as always, but the trick is to freeze them while they are still stealthed - although if the player catches in on that, you're gonna have a bad day
    - SWs are a bit random, on the one hand, they've got trouble avoiding control, on the other, they can do a truckload of damage if they manage to land a grasp
    - I'd say other CWs are actually on par with GWFs in terms of threat, possibly worse since they can't break out of control using unstoppable

In all cases, it takes a while to bring the opponent down compared to other CWs, but again, as macjae said, CWs really shine in team fights, Oppressors probably even more so.
    RE: reliance on shield
    I don't use shield, I've never liked it - it would trigger EotS when I was more DPS oriented, and now it would mean giving up an encounter, meaing either less damage (which I'm already low on), or less control.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    CWs are too tanky with negation and shield on tab.
    My gwf 42-84% tenacity, 100k hp, perfect PF and gwf got facetanked and killed by pnegation-Sheldon tag-42k SS procs CW.
    He didn't even bothered to dodge and mocked me saying 'i don't even have to dodge on a weak gwf'.

Now it's also cause of broken negation and overall gear difference BiS vs non-BiS, but it's meaningful the fact something like this can happen.
    So cheesy and skill-less it really is almost funny.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    macjae wrote: »
    If you want skilless and cheesy, look no farther than GWF. I've gotten killed a few times by GWFs whose builds are extremely tanky (more so than any CW I've met), and whose main damage output comes not from the attacks they land but from procomancy nonsense like Fey Thistle and Avalanche. Another form of skilless GWF cheese comes from GWFs running around with transcendent Terror enchants; those proc a lot more than they should, which makes fighting them impossible because it's impossible to dodge them, and they can just wail away, build all the stacks they want and IBS for a gorillion damage. Even with trans Negation and purple Shield, a well-geared GWF can still kill a CW in a few attacks.

But aside from that, CW vs GWF fights with equal gear are probably the closest to a state of relative balance of all the different match-ups CWs can have. Obviously, either will crush someone they outgear, so that's not really going to say much about class balance.

Once this patch is out, the changes will amount to a net nerf for CWs anyway, because they have lower base DR than other classes and no ability score bonus to Resistance Ignored.

Everything you mentioned was unrelated to class, did you notice? It was all broken enchants/ boons.
    OFC negation gwf will tank more than CW, i wrote in fact that part of the issue is the xtremely huge gap between negation and a soulforged.
    Another issue is PF vs negation and PF being underpowered.
    But 42k passive SS procs are all class- related to CW.

And the fact that there's a chance for a squishy ranged controller to FACETANK a fighter. Much like a gwf could gear to cc and kill from 80'.

I mainly blame negation but also the cheesyness of SS allowing a CW to basically just hold down right mouse button and profit.
    GWFs can take advantage of broken enchants or boons like others, but as a base mechanic for sure they don't have anything cheesy. You must work your *** off to stack all buffs, and damage and defense is all proactive.
    Passive procs of 42k are cheesy, no offense. It's just a fact.

Vs normal cws i said many times gwfs can fight btw, or even have a slight advantage, but gwf to achieve that must be good. CW all they must do is slot shield on tab and proccy proccy zapzapzap stromspell. And i find it pretty sad... just that.

What i said in previous post is just that it's meaningful that there's so much broken stuff/ lack of balance that a CW can facetank a gwf not even trying to dodge. BiS CW vs non-BiS gwf but still...would a BiS gwf with negation and even terror, kill a geared non-bis CW just, spamming hidden daggers while standing still? I'd say no. But bis CW can stand still and hold down at-will and win.

I'm still perplexed.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    MacJae wrote:

"Yes. So why do you think Shield on its own is a problem? As it is right now, appropriately geared GFs, GWFs and TRs kill CWs with Shield + Negation extremely fast."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpbgQ6C2LAM

here Dom dies to Obsydian in less than 5 secs.Yes.5 secs.An uber tank.5 secs.
    So please can you stop lieing "GF/GWFs melt CWs in seconds"
    I call that a feakin lie.And i challenge any CW:post a video 5 days old,of an equally geared Cw that gets melted by tanks in seconds.
    Common.ridicule me.Shove it to my face...if you find a video.Which you will not.

"Yes, those are ridiculous procs. But that generally results from stacking chill on a target for large damage bonuses. And the target either not responding or having inadequate defenses to mitigate them."

^^^
    Simple english translation:yes 42k passives from att wills are didicoulous but it is your mistake!!!Not ,mine!You should...i mean you should....eh...eh..yes you should do something!!

So what a GF can do when he approaches a CW contested node?Run to it unblocked?Gosh.And die in 4 secs.Either you CWs think you are very clever( info for you,you are not) or you think all of use are completely stupid and naive.

"Given equal gear and skill, a CW is not facetanking a GWF for very long at all, but he doesn't fall over and die from the GWF's garlic breath either."

Oh yes it does.Every day all day as leaderboard suggests.Get your facts straight mr CW Attorney.

"It is sad. But really, it's actually a very similar system to GWFs. CWs must spam Ray of Frost to build chill stacks. GWFs must spam Sure Strike to build up Destroyer/Destroyer's Purpose stacks. The difference lies in delivery and locomotion."

No it is not the same.GWF musdt come in range .You have a whole 90s range advantage for gods sake.All the time CWs forget about that.

Conclusion:
    Adjust CW storm spell mechanics and shield please.Neverwinter had enough of their two standards,of their ferocious lies and propaganda.Bring that accursed class to justice.

Edit:And remove the whole 66% tenacity thing!!Enough!!