test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need help with Protection paladin

getafiksxgetafiksx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
edited May 2015 in The Citadel
What gear to chouse Burning Gladiator or Burning Medic set and what encant to slot in offence, defence, and util slot ?
Post edited by getafiksx on

Comments

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I recommend mixing, there is no benefit to just having one set, so choose a mix to optimise your stats and then slot offence and defence to boost up as you need based on the gear choices you made with at least one Tenebrous in offence. Utility is Fey and/or Dragon Hoard enchantments once you are 70 plus Dark or Silvery in the other slots.

2 observations in general: Power of 8-9K is plenty for a Protection Paladin due to the feature that adds % of HP to power. You will reliably find yourself in the 16-20k Power range anyway. Hit points always matter to us. HP means Power and damage on top of survivability. However I haven't found the need to have every defence slot be Radiant, instead I have struck a balance between Radiant and Silvery to get Deflect up as well, because getting hit for well over 100k or even 300k is all too common now and so halving that is important.

In regards to Weapon and Armour enchants; Look at Plaguefire and Terror for the Weapon (you are not the DPS engine, so making all the better DPS characters do more damage is a good plan) and Negation and Soulforged are the 2 Armour enchants to consider. I need to do some testing but I believe with a DC providing heals that Soulforged is a better enchant because it means that if something glitches you get recovered, while if a Paladin is providing heals the extra defence matters more because the ability to take less damage is more important. For solo play Negation is the better choice.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Stack HP, because defense is not a problem with Binding Oath. The problem is that it will kill you if you dont have enough HP + Temp HP. In utility slots, get movement speed enchatments, because Paladin dont have any good mobility buffs like Into the Fray and it's very useful stat in various encounters like Valindra Tower where you have to pass red lines fast and run away from these annoying ghosts or run to the caskets, etc.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    quspiv wrote: »
    Stack HP, because defense is not a problem with Binding Oath. The problem is that it will kill you if you dont have enough HP + Temp HP. In utility slots, get movement speed enchatments, because Paladin dont have any good mobility buffs like Into the Fray and it's very useful stat in various encounters like Valindra Tower where you have to pass red lines fast and run away from these annoying ghosts or run to the caskets, etc.
    Justice path has a feat that adds 25% movement speed just for being in combat. It's a really noticeable increase and means that I can just run out of most red attacks rather than Sanctuary up and take the hit. With the insane damage of L73 mobs this is a real help.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Justice path has a feat that adds 25% movement speed just for being in combat. It's a really noticeable increase and means that I can just run out of most red attacks rather than Sanctuary up and take the hit. With the insane damage of L73 mobs this is a real help.

Thing is that once you get in combat you're there for a long time, that's why it's not reliable, because the effect ends after few sec.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Well... it's a *chance* to increase speed. it always seem to proc for me right when the last mob NPC is just rolling over dead. But I do agree: it is so noticeable as to surprise me when it happens, I almost think I summoned my mount by accident or something. Even so: I still stack darks in my utility slots so whatever increase that gives is constant, which can be helpful until that feat proc.
    quspiv wrote: »
    Thing is that once you get in combat you're there for a long time, that's why it's not reliable, because the effect ends after few sec.

Precisely. In fact it's so random and lasts too short a period of time as to not be dependable (having it exactly when you need it) that when I respec I may forego it altogether. For myself, I am thinking the points can go somewhere else that is just as good if not better for my play style.
  • sixpax2sixpax2 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Power of 8-9K is plenty for a Protection Paladin due to the feature that adds % of HP to power. You will reliably find yourself in the 16-20k Power range anyway.

Out of curiosity, which feature is this? None of them read that way.
    "While it is possible to tank as a Justice or Light paladin, it is substantially harder, especially on longer fights where Holy Barrier and your other defensive feats get chances to kick in and contribute quite a bit of defensive power." - System Designer Gentlemancrush
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well... it's a *chance* to increase speed. it always seem to proc for me right when the last mob NPC is just rolling over dead. But I do agree: it is so noticeable as to surprise me when it happens, I almost think I summoned my mount by accident or something. Even so: I still stack darks in my utility slots so whatever increase that gives is constant, which can be helpful until that feat proc.
    It seems to proc an awful lot for me so I always seem to have it up when I need it. Might be perception bias though. :)
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    For tanking your top priority stats will generally still be defense and deflect, but a good stat to look for (especially on paladins) is Recovery. Daily and Encounter powers filling out your kit is a big part of the OP design paradigm, and the more often you have these things ready to activate, the more flexible you will find yourself.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For tanking your top priority stats will generally still be defense and deflect, but a good stat to look for (especially on paladins) is Recovery. Daily and Encounter powers filling out your kit is a big part of the OP design paradigm, and the more often you have these things ready to activate, the more flexible you will find yourself.

Hey Crush.

First question: Why isn't your name red?

Second question: Is the fact sanctuary isn't blocking the powerie AP drain attack been fixed yet, or the fact that it won't prevent polymorph from fey witches?

Third question: Most people seem to blame prism for causing lag, any progress made on reducing that impact prism has if that is the case?
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2015
    Hey Crush.

First question: Why isn't your name red?

Second question: Is the fact sanctuary isn't blocking the powerie AP drain attack been fixed yet, or the fact that it won't prevent polymorph from fey witches?

Third question: Most people seem to blame prism for causing lag, any progress made on reducing that impact prism has if that is the case?

In order

1. My name isn't in Red because I am a developer, not a community manager. My title is listed below my name :)

2. It should be currently blocking anything that the guardian block successfully blocks at this point. However, if after today's patch it still isn't blocking something correctly start a list of things you find and then send it to myself and Panderus.

3. Are you talking about servers or FPS drops? That feat does have an FX associated with it that might be causing performance problems for players who are seeing it in larger content where many heals are going out, although it is unlikely to be the biggest performance hit there. We have been working on many performance related things lately however.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Community Managers get red names, not dev team folks.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited May 2015
    In order

1. My name isn't in Red because I am a developer, not a community manager. My title is listed below my name :)

2. It should be currently blocking anything that the guardian block successfully blocks at this point. However, if after today's patch it still isn't blocking something correctly start a list of things you find and then send it to myself and Panderus.

3. Are you talking about servers or FPS drops? That feat does have an FX associated with it that might be causing performance problems for players who are seeing it in larger content where many heals are going out, although it is unlikely to be the biggest performance hit there. We have been working on many performance related things lately however.

I will check into number 2 and anything else I can find. I do love the new reaction when blocking animation that paladins have now. It's a nice touch and adds some feedback.
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Hi, are the devs avare of Justice tree feats affecfing artifact cooldowns? I've been reporting this left and right and nothing goes trough :/ It's a major issue as Paladins can literally spam dailies with DC artifact.
    edited May 2015
    zvieris wrote: »
    Hi, are the devs avare of Justice tree feats affecfing artifact cooldowns? I've been reporting this left and right and nothing goes trough :/ It's a major issue as Paladins can literally spam dailies with DC artifact.

Yes, that has been fixed. I don't know when that will be going live but it is definitely fixed.
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In order

PRISM
    Astral Seal

Look at these. Look at these when there are more than 20 people attacking...lets say a dragon. Fix the performance problems you will see.

Or you can just go look at the data from Tiamat fight on preview. Playerbase identified these two skills as offenders many many weeks ago...
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes, that has been fixed. I don't know when that will be going live but it is definitely fixed.

Cool, thanks!
  • packrat0packrat0 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited May 2015

It has been my observation that the flood of procs on prism and astral seal cause serious overload issues.
    Consider the scenario where you have 2 paladins with points in prism. They both cast their dailies, and their heals proc off of each other seemingly as fast as the server can manage. Then, add in the fact that prism applies heals to all nearby allies as well, and you have what appears to be a DoS attack. I wonder if all of these procs are actually straining the server's upstream capability/allotment, rather than directly bringing the server down.
    I'm 99% certain that the lag that most people are experiencing these days is not graphical in origin, but related to the servers or networking.

As an aside, some funny behaviour I have noticed about prism is that sometimes the heals will (multi)proc for 0 points.
  • suddenlyslowsuddenlyslow Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In order

I know that once I see prism active and there are more than half a dozen people around that it is time to do the two steps forward one step back dance. I will never quite know where my character really is or will be as I will warp around sharply. Any of the old FPS tricks of looking towards unpopulated or simpler graphical areas have no effect (but even this is sometimes not possible as the game will be in an non responsive mode and one is simply left watching). Attack animations will perform rapidly but oddly and on my TR, for instance, the flurry portion will be a series of strange left to right bouncing/slashing like motions.

Today after a Black Ice Motherlode HE where at least one prism was active (maybe more and maybe other suspect powers), the effect persisted for a few minutes after everything was killed and vanished. It literally took me 3 minutes to travel from the top of the hill to the bottom of the hill as I traversed the same ground about 30 times -- being warped back and back and back. I was having a good laugh with a friend in tells during this amusing but frustrating dance.
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited May 2015

It's not a FPS drop. Prism hammers either the servers or everyone's local connections as far as I can tell. When it happens I can move but nothing is happening, or I can move but am rubberbanding wildly. There is no slide show, animations are going normally, but things just stop.

To be specific, it's not generally one incidence of Prism going off - This can cause a twinge of lag in more populated and crammed instances like Heralds, but not a lot.

The problem is that Prism triggers off of Prism heals. Two Justice OPs using their daily within the time frame that the first one's Prism is up will feedback loop on each other so much that it will lag a five-man instance. Three or more makes it worse - I was doing a Remorhaz HE in IWD recently and a good three or four of us ended up doing it at once, and while I could run around freely, literally nothing was happening for over a minute except for occasionally a 'Prism' floater popping up on the screen until it finally cleared through all the overlapping procs and resumed.

All that needs to be done is for Prism to not trigger off of itself from other OPs and it should make it usable again. Possibly also limiting the effect to just your party - Doesn't help, as mentioned, for overlapping Prisms unless that's fixed, but would make dailies usable again in Heralds for OP. (A similar thing might be a good idea for Astral Seal where it would only work for people actually partied with the Devoted Cleric using it - I never see that actually cause problems, but people believe it does and the reactions are hateful and toxic.)

This issue is turning the community toxic in zones like WoD, and with good reason - Any OP with Prism who uses a daily during Heralds has the possibility, if any others do so as well, of basically <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the instance. As a result OPs get constantly yelled at and sometimes shamed in zone chat if they dare to use their dailies if they have Prism. I ask OPs not to do it, even on my own OP, and don't use dailies during Heralds for just that reason, because I have Prism. I fortunately can manage to get Great Success on him even without dailies, but it's a pain to not be able to use them.

Prism is a great tool, either helping the healer out significantly, or amplifying your own healing if you're a Devotion OP, but the way it works right now is literally crippling things if more than one of the affect goes off at once.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
    edited May 2015
    naicalus wrote: »
    The problem is that Prism triggers off of Prism heals. Two Justice OPs using their daily within the time frame that the first one's Prism is up will feedback loop on each other so much that it will lag a five-man instance.

This is exactly what's happening. I was in a large IWD HE group last night on my Paladin and it was easy to tell that the game stopping lag happens when another Paladin with Prism had used a daily around the same time I did. I'd get rapid "Prism" spam on my screen to the point everything froze until the 20s effect lapsed.
    "While it is possible to tank as a Justice or Light paladin, it is substantially harder, especially on longer fights where Holy Barrier and your other defensive feats get chances to kick in and contribute quite a bit of defensive power." - System Designer Gentlemancrush
    edited May 2015
    I found and fixed the Prism loop yesterday. Hopefully that will make it into next week's build.
    edited May 2015
    I found and fixed the Prism loop yesterday. Hopefully that will make it into next week's build.

Fantastic! Thank you crush!
  • daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That's great news !
    It's definitively in the top ten most disturbing bugs.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Thank you for looking into this. The Paladins have a lot of really cool effects, which our guild just lumps together into the generic term "balls". Prism is one of these "ball" effects that we love.

And it's been frustrating for some of our Paladins who've been unable to group together effectively because of the way their balls interact. It's been a bit of a challenge for non-paladins as well, as we've seen how everything grinds to a halt when paladin's have their balls touch. Obviously, we believe that the balls were designed to be the biggest part of the OP, and when they work correctly, it really is a sight to behold.

I've seen OP's as well as /zone get pretty salty about the use of balls in big encounters and I'm genuinely excited to see if this relieves a lot of the friction caused when two paladins are using their balls to protect the party or other large groups of players.

Genuinely. Excited.:D
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited May 2015

You're the man now, dawg
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Saaaaaaaaah-weeeeeeeet!!!
    va8Ru.gif
    edited May 2015

Crush, I am curious about the one Bulwark feat for paladins, that basically gives a shield based on weapon damage. Is this feat solely for attacks that deal damage or do encounters that just apply affects like Bane and Vow of Enmity also put up this shield as well?
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Great news, I look forward to it!! :D<3
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • equ4lizerequ4lizer Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Hopefully not a nerf to how it works.
    IGN: Granzon
    军医骑士 超过三千水平 突破极限释放开
    Daily: Granworm Sword
    Enounter: Vow of Enmity | Worm Smasher | 縮退砲
    Class Feature: Kabbalah System
    Aura: Warp Field

IGN: Faluzure 19k Tenebrous Soulbinder Scourge Warlock
    (The Corrupted) (Retired)