test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Was there a slow-down in normal development while NW was being ported to console?

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
With today's announcement how how successful NW has been on Xbox, there is some talk over on the STO boards about whether that game could ever be ported. Beyond the fact that NW was designed from the ground up to be console compatible while STO was not, I am also concerned about the impact trying to port STO to console might have on it's normal content development. So my question to you guys is, was there any slow-down in normal development for this game while it was being ported to console?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

Comments

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No, not really any slow downs. We have been getting content updates consistently every 3 to 4 months. This has not changed one bit since the game launched. If anything we are getting updates too fast. The quality seems lacking. Especially the last few modules. There is no denying they seem more then a little rushed and unpolished.

However, I'm unsure if this is due to xbox demands, a reduction in work force, or simply overly ambitious goals not able to be met. It would seem that, the Xbox port was developed by a completely different crew from the main Neverwinter team. So its impact was most likely minimal. I would expect the situation would be similar for STO should it ever happen.
  • Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    yeah it slowed down for awhile pretty bad. but they started paying more attention now that its up and running and the major bugs were fixed for them. they dont seem to be testing things like they used to but they also have a lot of work to do so you cant blame them.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    No, not really any slow downs. If anything we are getting updates too fast.
    yeah it slowed down for awhile pretty bad.

I'm confused; these 2 statements seem to contradict one another pretty clearly. Was there a slowdown or not?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm confused; these 2 statements seem to contradict one another pretty clearly. Was there a slowdown or not?

well honestly slow down was a matter of opinion. i mean to me it slowed down but to someone else it might not have. for awhile it deff slowed down. but it picked back up.
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    No, not really any slow downs. We have been getting content updates consistently every 3 to 4 months. This has not changed one bit since the game launched. If anything we are getting updates too fast. The quality seems lacking. Especially the last few modules. There is no denying they seem more then a little rushed and unpolished.

However, I'm unsure if this is due to xbox demands, a reduction in work force, or simply overly ambitious goals not able to be met. It would seem that, the Xbox port was developed by a completely different crew from the main Neverwinter team. So its impact was most likely minimal. I would expect the situation would be similar for STO should it ever happen.

what game do you play? rise of tiamat was not module, only one heroic encounter. elemental evil is not module, only rehashed content and level increase. patch notes are very poor for months. so yes there was - is very significant abandonment of pc version while console was developed. same issue has elder scrolls for example
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    I didn't notice any decline in the workforce on the PC side. If anything, both have seemed to increase overall in productivity and quality since updates have been going out to XBOX. I can totally see STO and even CO one day making it to the XBOX. They both seem pretty compatible with a console to me.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Its a simple case of math. We have had 6 content releases in just under two years. That is a new module every 4 months, that pace has not slowed in any significant way. The only module that missed its launch date was mod 6, and that was only by a few weeks.

Perhaps Xbox had an effect on it, or it was simply a case of the recent layoffs. Its hard to say, but one missed date over a two year period, a time when Xbox was surely in the middle of its development, isn't really enough to claim that progress has slowed down.

In fact they have already announced plans for the next two modules with module 8 set to release at the same time as its pen and paper counterpart. Slow downs don't honestly seem to be an option, Wizards of the Coast is clearly setting the deadlines.

Edited to add
    Here is a list of all the release dates of all the modules. Draw any conclusion from this you like.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Module
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The release pattern was consistent with a module release, mainline releases trickled to almost nothing in the weeks leading up to a mod release. I don't think it really slowed due to xbox - mostly because I'm pretty sure it's a whole different dev team working on that side of things.