test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Beginners Guide to Successful PvP By Alysin Chains

munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
edited June 2015 in PvP Discussion
This is a guide that I made a few years ago to help newer players on the basics of PvP in Neverwinter. It was very successful on PC with well over 15,000 views and hundreds of replies. I hope that you all can get something out of it, please feel free to post your own thoughts and ideas, that's what this thread was intended for!

Hi everyone, my name is Alysin Chains, I play a 60 TR.

PvP is my absolute passion. I love everything about it. The competitive nature of it is what will always draw me to it, in any mmo. That being said, PvP is difficult, it is frustrating, it is rewarding. PvP is the best training tool mmo players have to better themselves at there game. Because you are fighting a thinking, adapting opponent, unlike that of set rotation NPC's. Generally speaking, most successful PvP'rs will generally be in the top for PvE as well, because of this fact. However, Pvp is not for everyone and that is ok.

I am writing this guide to help Beginners mostly, but everyone who PvPs should be able to get atleast something out of it, if nothing more then seeing PvP from another persons perspective.

So lets get started.

I am not going to go into how to gear your character for PvP, or specific tactics on fighting certain class's as those two in themselves would require there own specific thread. A helpful hint for stats though: Health, Tenacity, Defense and Deflect are the absolute most important stats in PvP in this game. Having none, or very little of the above, will get you killed very quickly, even against lesser geared players. Generally speaking the only players that can get away with little into these 4 stats, are the players with very high end gear, and even those players will have difficulty with equally geared players because of this.

PvP in this game is made up of 5 players, Versus 5 players. There are two different maps, with the same objective. Control 3 nodes, to gain points to reach the goal of 1000 points. Each team will start out in a campfire on opposing sides of the map.

Common tactics and strats of Premades
Many premades will start out the match with all 5 players rushing the center Node. The idea behind this is controlling the middle point is generally the most contested, and capping it off the bat is going to give your team a head start on points, and a good position in the battlefield. After the middle node is capped, 1 player will fall back to cap your home base, and the rest of the team will push to the enemies node. With a good team, and achieving victory in this strat, will be very hard for the opposing team(without coordination), to come back from this initial battle. Many matches with this start, end up at 1000-0.

Having 4 players rush the center node, and 1 player capping home base is also very common, and successful. One downfall of this however, is if the enemy team is using the above strat, you are now outnumbered by 1, which can lead to disaster right off the bat, thus putting your team on the defensive to gain control of your home point.

Having 5 players rush the center, with 1 continuing past, to contest the enemies home node is also very common with well geared/coordinated premade teams. Also very hard for the opposing team to come back from, without proper coordination and team work.

Node control, and defense
Once a node is capped, your team will start gaining points. The more nodes you have captured, the faster you will gain points.

That being said. Common mistakes beginners make, is NOT fighting on the actual points. If atleast 1 player of each team, is standing on a point, then the point is considered "contested", and no team will gain points from it. This is key to victory. Capturing, and maintaining control of nodes.

Another common, costly mistake, is people forget that the PvP we have, is 5 vs 5. Not 1 vs 5. One single person, cannot possibly maintain all 3 points by themselves, no matter how well geared they are. Working together as a team is going to bring you success in PvP. Being a lone ranger and going for your own personal stats on the leaderboard to be the cool guy with the most kills, is generally going to end up causing your team to lose.

The biggest mistake I see new players make. GWF Sentinel builds are hands down the hardest class to kill, in a 1 vs 1 scenario. Even a lesser geared GWF with decent skill, is very hard to take down 1 vs 1. A GWF will generally be back capping your home base, in order to gain control of there home point, most new players will have there entire team(generally), help fight the GWF. Meanwhile, the other 2 nodes are capped and the enemy team is quickly gaining points. A Sent build GWF can withstand a lot of punishment, and having more people attack them, only makes them stronger and use Unstoppable that much more. Not to mention, by the time the GWF has tricked the entire team to fight just him, his team is more then likely on there way to help him, and when they do come, if/when you lose, your team is now stuck with zero nodes capped, all spawning at roughly the same time, and the entire enemy team waiting at your spawn point. This paragraph is outdated as far as certain builds, but the concept is the same. Do NOT, follow an enemy player off node and chase him around the map. Its pointless(unless you own all, or 2 of the nodes) New people do it constantly, and do not realize the enemy is just baiting them, while there team collects massive points by owning the nodes.

It is best to have 1 single person contest 1, or 3, depending on the match. What you need to remember is you are fighting a thinking human being, that will adapt to what you are doing. So PvP matches, and strats are ever changing.

Node Contention
With the right gear, and skill, any class in this game can be a good choice for holding a point, or capping a new point by themselves.

Generally speaking, your Sent build GWFs are #1 choice for node contention and defense, coming in second is going to be your TR/GF. GWF's are an obvious choice because of there ability to survive without any heals. TR's because of the ability to evade entire enemy teams by use of trickery and stealth, and GF's because of there natural class mechanics of being able to block incoming damage, as well as put out some serious damage, and knock enemies off the nodes, thus continuing to gain points from the node not being contested. Well played and geared CW's are also very good choices, as well as DC's. That being said, the DC and CW need to have a good amount of skill, and decent gear to be able to do this effectively.

Depending on how the match is playing out. In most good premade vs premade, both home points will continue to be contested(thus not gaining any points for either team), and a constant battle for the middle point. That being said, depending on where you personally are in the match, it might require you to become Cannon Fodder. What I mean by this, is basically running onto a specific point by yourself, no matter how many enemies are there, to put the node in contention, and survive as long as possible. Remember, when the point is contested, no team is gaining points from this. I have done matches where I am well over 30 kills, and other matches where I am under 5, with 15-20 deaths. The stats look bad, but that isn't the point as earlier discussed. Contending points and stopping the enemy team from gaining any points is the ultimate goal. Even if you run in and die immediately(which more often then not happens at this point), you are stopping the enemy from gaining points from holding that point, which is the ultimate goal. If a point is constantly contested, it will force the enemy team to bring back up to cap the point. This is a strategy commonly used in a well played premade with 2 very coordinated teams.

Team make-up
When Q'ing for PvP, it randomly groups people together. Generally it will try and put atleast 1 type of each class in a match, however more often then not you have multiples of certain types. You need to adjust fire so to speak and do the best with what you have.

What you need to remember, is there are certain group builds that are going to absolutely dominate in PvP. Just do your best, and continue working together.

General hints and tips
What you have to remember, is PvP is frustrating!..sometimes. You are going to die in PvP, sometimes a lot, and constantly. There are zero penalties for dying in PvP, so getting upset over dying is just silly. If being killed by another player makes you upset, then you probably shouldn't PvP, as you are probably just going to end up breaking something you own, and becoming even more upset.

MountsWhile mounted, if you are knocked off, it will Prone you. When you are proned, you 99.9% of the time will take FULL damage from every ability you are being hit with. Your defenses for the most part mean absolutely nothing when you are proned. Dismount early when approaching an enemy, and absolutely do NOT sit on your mount while capping a point.

More Advanced Tips from Trace(Essence of Aggression)
Okay, here are some beyond-the-basics strategies that we like using in EoA.

1) Continual back-cap. Who did you send to back cap? Stealth TR? GWF? Are they going down? A few options you can use...

a) Send the DC back to drop an A. Shield, toss a quick healing word, and run back to mid.
b) Send your next back-capper (TR, GWF, or GF are good choices), to pour in when the other is going down. Rinse and repeat.
c) Send the CW or TR to the far point to help finish off the enemy, then have them return mid.

2) Set up 2v1s. Is a Sent on your point contesting against a TR? Or a GF? Send a DPS back to help finish them off. Get back to mid in time to help. CWs are great at this because they can attack from a distance. Speaking of which...

3) Come off point or die! As a CW, I love 1v1ing melees against a point we currently control. They either have to come off point, or continually take damage or be Repelled off point. Some Sents can withstand the damage and cap, so you may need to get on the point before they cap it.

4) Set yourself up for success! Can your CW kill the DC the fastest? Is your TR great at taking down GFs? Is someone on the enemy team not good against your Sentinel? Do your best to set up your team against the other team on your terms.

I might ad that being in Teamspeak makes these strategies much easier.

Have fun guys. PvP is fun. If you are getting upset over it then its probably time to take a break and do something else, before your anger gets the best of you.

Remember that not everyone is as geared as you, or more geared then you, or not as skilled as you, or better then you. If you are that oh so awesome uber geared guy in a pug match and your team is terrible, calmly give them some pointers. "Hey guys, lets try and fight on the points".

This is a game, its peoples release from real life, where they should be allowed to play however they want, and have a good time doing it.

There is nothing that aggravates me more then someone who belittles someone because they are losing.

For those of you who have actually read this entire thread of mine, I thank you.

Please feel free to add whatever ideas you may have that will be "helpful to the rest of our community.

If your only reason to post here is because you want to correct me on grammar or tell me how my ideas on PvP are bad, and I should /insert random flame,.. then there is no reason to post here. I wrote this because I enjoy PvP, and I want other people to enjoy it too

I am a very successful hard core PvP'r, and I wanted to share some of the knowledge I have that grants me success.

I did my best to keep it short, and make it easy to read and the most informative I could. I could honestly write a novel on PvP of so many different scenarios, ideas, hints tips etc etc. But the best way to learn PvP is just continue to do it, find your own groove and playstyle and absolutely have fun doing it!

Ever want to contact me in game and ask any questions or even give me some new hints that you find helpful, I'm all about it, or just to chat.
> Alysin Chains@munkness81 "Xbox" 60 TR

Cheers!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• uloi1234uloi1234 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2015
    Was going up against a crew that was doing the GWF backcap thing. Constantly. He was doing a great job at it too. I wish I could remember his name. Sometimes I could kill him, some times he killed me and sometimes I called in help. Even if he died without capping, it took a long time, so he still accomplished his goal.

Edit, he was a guardian, not a GWF.
  • xmeanseason305xxmeanseason305x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    yo!!!
    long time no see.. used to run into you here and there in pvp (Enemy Team}.. great basics guide from back in mod 1...

good to see you playing on xbox one... are you guilded?
    hit me up in game....
    -meanseason

xbl- xjcmmeanseasonx

munkey81 wrote: »
    This is a guide that I made a few years ago to help newer players on the basics of PvP in Neverwinter. It was very successful on PC with well over 15,000 views and hundreds of replies. I hope that you all can get something out of it, please feel free to post your own thoughts and ideas, that's what this thread was intended for!

PvP is my absolute passion. I love everything about it. The competitive nature of it is what will always draw me to it, in any mmo. That being said, PvP is difficult, it is frustrating, it is rewarding. PvP is the best training tool mmo players have to better themselves at there game. Because you are fighting a thinking, adapting opponent, unlike that of set rotation NPC's. Generally speaking, most successful PvP'rs will generally be in the top for PvE as well, because of this fact. However, Pvp is not for everyone and that is ok.

I am writing this guide to help Beginners mostly, but everyone who PvPs should be able to get atleast something out of it, if nothing more then seeing PvP from another persons perspective.

So lets get started.

I am not going to go into how to gear your character for PvP, or specific tactics on fighting certain class's as those two in themselves would require there own specific thread. A helpful hint for stats though: Health, Tenacity, Defense and Deflect are the absolute most important stats in PvP in this game. Having none, or very little of the above, will get you killed very quickly, even against lesser geared players. Generally speaking the only players that can get away with little into these 4 stats, are the players with very high end gear, and even those players will have difficulty with equally geared players because of this.

PvP in this game is made up of 5 players, Versus 5 players. There are two different maps, with the same objective. Control 3 nodes, to gain points to reach the goal of 1000 points. Each team will start out in a campfire on opposing sides of the map.

Many premades will start out the match with all 5 players rushing the center Node. The idea behind this is controlling the middle point is generally the most contested, and capping it off the bat is going to give your team a head start on points, and a good position in the battlefield. After the middle node is capped, 1 player will fall back to cap your home base, and the rest of the team will push to the enemies node. With a good team, and achieving victory in this strat, will be very hard for the opposing team(without coordination), to come back from this initial battle. Many matches with this start, end up at 1000-0.

Having 4 players rush the center node, and 1 player capping home base is also very common, and successful. One downfall of this however, is if the enemy team is using the above strat, you are now outnumbered by 1, which can lead to disaster right off the bat, thus putting your team on the defensive to gain control of your home point.

Having 5 players rush the center, with 1 continuing past, to contest the enemies home node is also very common with well geared/coordinated premade teams. Also very hard for the opposing team to come back from, without proper coordination and team work.

Once a node is capped, your team will start gaining points. The more nodes you have captured, the faster you will gain points.

That being said. Common mistakes beginners make, is NOT fighting on the actual points. If atleast 1 player of each team, is standing on a point, then the point is considered "contested", and no team will gain points from it. This is key to victory. Capturing, and maintaining control of nodes.

Another common, costly mistake, is people forget that the PvP we have, is 5 vs 5. Not 1 vs 5. One single person, cannot possibly maintain all 3 points by themselves, no matter how well geared they are. Working together as a team is going to bring you success in PvP. Being a lone ranger and going for your own personal stats on the leaderboard to be the cool guy with the most kills, is generally going to end up causing your team to lose.

The biggest mistake I see new players make. GWF Sentinel builds are hands down the hardest class to kill, in a 1 vs 1 scenario. Even a lesser geared GWF with decent skill, is very hard to take down 1 vs 1. A GWF will generally be back capping your home base, in order to gain control of there home point, most new players will have there entire team(generally), help fight the GWF. Meanwhile, the other 2 nodes are capped and the enemy team is quickly gaining points. A Sent build GWF can withstand a lot of punishment, and having more people attack them, only makes them stronger and use Unstoppable that much more. Not to mention, by the time the GWF has tricked the entire team to fight just him, his team is more then likely on there way to help him, and when they do come, if/when you lose, your team is now stuck with zero nodes capped, all spawning at roughly the same time, and the entire enemy team waiting at your spawn point. This paragraph is outdated as far as certain builds, but the concept is the same. Do NOT, follow an enemy player off node and chase him around the map. Its pointless(unless you own all, or 2 of the nodes) New people do it constantly, and do not realize the enemy is just baiting them, while there team collects massive points by owning the nodes.

It is best to have 1 single person contest 1, or 3, depending on the match. What you need to remember is you are fighting a thinking human being, that will adapt to what you are doing. So PvP matches, and strats are ever changing.

Node Contention
    With the right gear, and skill, any class in this game can be a good choice for holding a point, or capping a new point by themselves.

Generally speaking, your Sent build GWFs are #1 choice for node contention and defense, coming in second is going to be your TR/GF. GWF's are an obvious choice because of there ability to survive without any heals. TR's because of the ability to evade entire enemy teams by use of trickery and stealth, and GF's because of there natural class mechanics of being able to block incoming damage, as well as put out some serious damage, and knock enemies off the nodes, thus continuing to gain points from the node not being contested. Well played and geared CW's are also very good choices, as well as DC's. That being said, the DC and CW need to have a good amount of skill, and decent gear to be able to do this effectively.

Depending on how the match is playing out. In most good premade vs premade, both home points will continue to be contested(thus not gaining any points for either team), and a constant battle for the middle point. That being said, depending on where you personally are in the match, it might require you to become Cannon Fodder. What I mean by this, is basically running onto a specific point by yourself, no matter how many enemies are there, to put the node in contention, and survive as long as possible. Remember, when the point is contested, no team is gaining points from this. I have done matches where I am well over 30 kills, and other matches where I am under 5, with 15-20 deaths. The stats look bad, but that isn't the point as earlier discussed. Contending points and stopping the enemy team from gaining any points is the ultimate goal. Even if you run in and die immediately(which more often then not happens at this point), you are stopping the enemy from gaining points from holding that point, which is the ultimate goal. If a point is constantly contested, it will force the enemy team to bring back up to cap the point. This is a strategy commonly used in a well played premade with 2 very coordinated teams.

Team make-up
    When Q'ing for PvP, it randomly groups people together. Generally it will try and put atleast 1 type of each class in a match, however more often then not you have multiples of certain types. You need to adjust fire so to speak and do the best with what you have.

What you need to remember, is there are certain group builds that are going to absolutely dominate in PvP. Just do your best, and continue working together.

General hints and tips
    What you have to remember, is PvP is frustrating!..sometimes. You are going to die in PvP, sometimes a lot, and constantly. There are zero penalties for dying in PvP, so getting upset over dying is just silly. If being killed by another player makes you upset, then you probably shouldn't PvP, as you are probably just going to end up breaking something you own, and becoming even more upset.

MountsWhile mounted, if you are knocked off, it will Prone you. When you are proned, you 99.9% of the time will take FULL damage from every ability you are being hit with. Your defenses for the most part mean absolutely nothing when you are proned. Dismount early when approaching an enemy, and absolutely do NOT sit on your mount while capping a point.

1) Continual back-cap. Who did you send to back cap? Stealth TR? GWF? Are they going down? A few options you can use...

a) Send the DC back to drop an A. Shield, toss a quick healing word, and run back to mid.
    b) Send your next back-capper (TR, GWF, or GF are good choices), to pour in when the other is going down. Rinse and repeat.
    c) Send the CW or TR to the far point to help finish off the enemy, then have them return mid.

2) Set up 2v1s. Is a Sent on your point contesting against a TR? Or a GF? Send a DPS back to help finish them off. Get back to mid in time to help. CWs are great at this because they can attack from a distance. Speaking of which...

3) Come off point or die! As a CW, I love 1v1ing melees against a point we currently control. They either have to come off point, or continually take damage or be Repelled off point. Some Sents can withstand the damage and cap, so you may need to get on the point before they cap it.

4) Set yourself up for success! Can your CW kill the DC the fastest? Is your TR great at taking down GFs? Is someone on the enemy team not good against your Sentinel? Do your best to set up your team against the other team on your terms.

Have fun guys. PvP is fun. If you are getting upset over it then its probably time to take a break and do something else, before your anger gets the best of you.

Remember that not everyone is as geared as you, or more geared then you, or not as skilled as you, or better then you. If you are that oh so awesome uber geared guy in a pug match and your team is terrible, calmly give them some pointers. "Hey guys, lets try and fight on the points".

This is a game, its peoples release from real life, where they should be allowed to play however they want, and have a good time doing it.

There is nothing that aggravates me more then someone who belittles someone because they are losing.

For those of you who have actually read this entire thread of mine, I thank you.

Please feel free to add whatever ideas you may have that will be "helpful to the rest of our community.

If your only reason to post here is because you want to correct me on grammar or tell me how my ideas on PvP are bad, and I should /insert random flame,.. then there is no reason to post here. I wrote this because I enjoy PvP, and I want other people to enjoy it too

I am a very successful hard core PvP'r, and I wanted to share some of the knowledge I have that grants me success.

I did my best to keep it short, and make it easy to read and the most informative I could. I could honestly write a novel on PvP of so many different scenarios, ideas, hints tips etc etc. But the best way to learn PvP is just continue to do it, find your own groove and playstyle and absolutely have fun doing it!

Ever want to contact me in game and ask any questions or even give me some new hints that you find helpful, I'm all about it, or just to chat.
    > Alysin Chains@munkey81 Mindflayer 60 TR

Cheers!
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yo!!!
    long time no see.. used to run into you here and there in pvp (Enemy Team}.. great basics guide from back in mod 1...

good to see you playing on xbox one... are you guilded?
    hit me up in game....
    -meanseason

xbl- xjcmmeanseasonx

Hey man! Good to see you. I built Alysin Chains again =)

Not guilded atm, waiting to Join Rekt whenever Fu and I can be on at the same time =)

you 60 yet?

Hit me up man.

GT; Munkey81
  • elysium1993elysium1993 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2015
    Hey Munkey I've seen your TR a few times on the enemy team in PvP, don't know if you know my character Elysia (Elysiana) (TR lvl 60) I hope to see you around in PVP to play around in the future

GT: Triwingar
    Elysiana Deveraux

Tenacity
  • killhimgregkillhimgreg Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Man you forgot the most important stat for pvp: wealth :P
    Jokes aside, great read. I wish everyone would read this simple but extremely effective piece of information.

Crescende
    <Sonz of Wu> PvP with respect
  • krad777krad777 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Lots of people need to read this. Too many people have this misconception that Domination means to get as many kills as you can. I've been on numerous teams where we dominate in terms of kills/deaths and lose in points cause they think we are playing team death match. Great guide for beginners.
    "An Idle mind is the devils workshop"
  • overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This needs posted on the pc side as well.
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

I wrote this to help newer players on the basics of PvP and hopefully with the communities comments, hints and tips to add to my thread. If you have something that is well written and good knowledge in PvP, I will happily edit my thread and post it with your name behind it.

Cheers!
  • mizzou0mizzou0 Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2015
    Nice work AC!

Mizzou-Rekt
    MIZZOU
    Control Wizard
  • vodkaredbulllllvodkaredbulllll Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015

So lets get started.

Node Contention

Team make-up

General hints and tips

> Alysin Chains@munkey81 Mindflayer 60 TR

Cheers!

After facing tenacity in a pvp match where you guys used a team build of four rouges ,and a control wizard.. I lost respect for you're team as valid in pvp on any account.
    edited May 2015
    maybe thats all they had on wanting to pvp at the time. I know with us 90% of the time its just whoever wants to Q up, we don't even look at the class.
    MIZZOU
    Control Wizard
  • vodkaredbulllllvodkaredbulllll Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Fair point &#55357;&#56842;
  • divine82pvpdivine82pvp Member Posts: 101 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2015
    After facing tenacity in a pvp match where you guys used a team build of four rouges ,and a control wizard.. I lost respect for you're team as valid in pvp on any account.

We only have 3 rogues that usually PvP. We usually run a mixed group of stuff. I can promise you we don't run more then two rogues. It was probably 1 DC, 2 rogues, 1 hunter and a control wizard.
    Tenacity PvP Guild
    Divine 60 Spellstorm Control Wizard
    twitch.tv/Divine1982
  • vscxz384vscxz384 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Greetings, let me start by saying i have never PVP before in Neverwinter. me and my friend are planning to start a new character strictly for PVPing, he is planning to go Rogue or HR not decided yet, and me i was planning to go GWF. what i want to know is are GWF still good for PVP? i have seen a lot of threads on the forums that they are pretty weak in PVP, after reading your post i thought maybe they compared them in pugs matches, but i am not sure, anyway whats your current opinion on GWF right now? are they viable for pvp? dont want to come out sounding cocky even tho i haven't played NWPVP, but i consider myself a pretty high skilled played, and my goal is to able to 1 v 5 the team
    edited May 2015
    vscxz384 wrote: »
    Greetings, let me start by saying i have never PVP before in Neverwinter. me and my friend are planning to start a new character strictly for PVPing, he is planning to go Rogue or HR not decided yet, and me i was planning to go GWF. what i want to know is are GWF still good for PVP? i have seen a lot of threads on the forums that they are pretty weak in PVP, after reading your post i thought maybe they compared them in pugs matches, but i am not sure, anyway whats your current opinion on GWF right now? are they viable for pvp? dont want to come out sounding cocky even tho i haven't played NWPVP, but i consider myself a pretty high skilled played, and my goal is to able to 1 v 5 the team

GWF currently are not really good in end game pvp atm. If you want to 1 v 5, or least try too, I would roll a DC. Healers are more tankier then tanks in this game sadly. A good healer can carry a team.
    Tenacity PvP Guild
    twitch.tv/Divine1982
    edited May 2015
    vscxz384 wrote: »

I personally feel there is nothing wrong the class GWF at all. However, because other classes are more balanced now the learning curve for the GWF class is higher than it used to be. A proper build and good gear, like with any class, is very important.

I think the biggest problem with Xbox1 players is lack of knowledge in the game, and the class. They think they can't just stand still like a meat shield and eat all sorts of damage. That is definately not the case. GWF have many gap closers and stuns that will demolish an opponent, but they need to be used correctly.

Even as a GWF, you have to play smart, offensively and defensively. I play a TR, and there are certain classes I go for right off the bat, and depending whose driving those characters, I may constantly switch, using dazes and cc, and switching back to another for focus Fire.

Most GWF that I've seen are mindless zombies and think they can just stand still while an entire team stacks damage on them. And that's why they die so easily, a very strong class, but needs a good player to understand its mechanics to do well.

Here is a video of me playing my GWF in PC, it's about a year old but the concept is the same, and if I were to start a GWF here on Xbox this is exactly the way I would play, and to great success.

http://youtu.be/LU8Eow55nYo

My biggest recommendation to you is to watch videos on YouTube of every class playing PvP(pre mod6 preferably), and then search google for the Neverwinter Talent calculator and read all of the encounters, feats and paths of each class. Understanding what other classes are capable of is the biggest reason I am successful in PvP now. ince you have a good understanding of what everyone can do, and recognizing encounters, you will start getting much better in PvP and being a top contender. Also, the majority of players think kills are important in PvP, they are, but I would rather keep an enemy teams node in contention an entire match than have 30 kills. Controlling the nodes is how you win, kills are just a bonus.

I would highly recommend when you roll your GWF to go highest Con, then Str. Put all your points into just those two leveling up. When you get 60, get your armor pen to atleast 24%, and stack radiants in all your defensive slots.

Hope this helps man good luck!
  • azuosed89azuosed89 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I personally feel there is nothing wrong the class GWF at all. However, because other classes are more balanced now the learning curve for the GWF class is higher than it used to be. A proper build and good gear, like with any class, is very important.

I think the biggest problem with Xbox1 players is lack of knowledge in the game, and the class. They think they can't just stand still like a meat shield and eat all sorts of damage. That is definately not the case. GWF have many gap closers and stuns that will demolish an opponent, but they need to be used correctly.

Even as a GWF, you have to play smart, offensively and defensively. I play a TR, and there are certain classes I go for right off the bat, and depending whose driving those characters, I may constantly switch, using dazes and cc, and switching back to another for focus Fire.

Most GWF that I've seen are mindless zombies and think they can just stand still while an entire team stacks damage on them. And that's why they die so easily, a very strong class, but needs a good player to understand its mechanics to do well.

Here is a video of me playing my GWF in PC, it's about a year old but the concept is the same, and if I were to start a GWF here on Xbox this is exactly the way I would play, and to great success.

My biggest recommendation to you is to watch videos on YouTube of every class playing PvP(pre mod6 preferably), and then search google for the Neverwinter Talent calculator and read all of the encounters, feats and paths of each class. Understanding what other classes are capable of is the biggest reason I am successful in PvP now. ince you have a good understanding of what everyone can do, and recognizing encounters, you will start getting much better in PvP and being a top contender. Also, the majority of players think kills are important in PvP, they are, but I would rather keep an enemy teams node in contention an entire match than have 30 kills. Controlling the nodes is how you win, kills are just a bonus.

I would highly recommend when you roll your GWF to go highest Con, then Str. Put all your points into just those two leveling up. When you get 60, get your armor pen to atleast 24%, and stack radiants in all your defensive slots.

Hi brother.
    I am trying play gwf here, I think I am decently geared at the moment.Not as much I was on PC, but getting there.
    I agree GWF is still good, and for some reason it is hard to find good GWFs. I am not sure if they are going DPS or what. or they have the wrong feats.

While playing I have noticed that this rotation is not (fs,takedown,ibs) is not that viable anymore for what I have noticed. It works only against fighters, and in the case of other classes, it seems to work only if they are poorly geared or don't know how to use their dodges/teleport/survivality skills well. The tenacity and that control resist artefact makes trs have instantenous risde of the takedown prone... and even on FS, IBS is so slow to hit them (unless it is a latency problem with my connection).

I made a build that has been working pretty decent to hold nodes, has enough DPS to kill most of people (except some immortal DCs).
    I am currently using Iron vanguard, so threatening rush(mark >powerful challenge feat), and then I have come and get it (intimidation feat >make come and get it have decent DPS and works awesome against rogues since it is AoE). And for the others encounters I am holding node effective as a "stun" build FS and Takedown (so i am still useful against fighters and good to catch cws and warlocks) too.

Sometimes I switch to IBS, or even Daring shout, it depends on the situation.
    I think my GWF has been pretty decent even though I am only about midway geared.

I have been able to beat some strongs TRs, but some of them are still crazy to me. depending of the rogue, if he uses strong dps attacks+shadow of demise I am melt down still (even though 50%+ deflect, 3k+ def and over 40k hp). but I heard they fix that on the PC mod right now.

And yes, I agree the goal is to contest the nodes. A lot of people on xbox think kills, chasing for kills are more important.
    other day I was in a match and I died like 16 times and killed 1 because no one in my team was going for the backcap. It was funny, we won, and the TR on my team tells me (**** gwf). (he walked the entire match with the healer on 2 while I had to do his job and sacrifice my kills haha).
    Gannicus GWF PvP
    DENIAL
    edited May 2015
    GWF currently are not really good in end game pvp atm. If you want to 1 v 5, or least try too, I would roll a DC. Healers are more tankier then tanks in this game sadly. A good healer can carry a team.

While I agree a DC tanks better than tanks in this game, I have to disagree that GWF is not good on end game pvp. I jsut think most are still clueless regarding their jobs/gear/build in the xbox version yet.
    Gannicus GWF PvP
    DENIAL
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for the recommendation, i am more of a melee type of guy, sorry i didn't mention it on my reply.

thanks for the help, even tho i saw a bunch of thread about them being bad i still decided to go GWF, i logged into my friends lvl 34 GWF on xbox to try out the class, he wasn't geared much, but i got to play pvp with him, and i did pretty good, "lmao maybe bcz is not end-game" thanks for the video link too and great video.

azuosed89 wrote: »
    While I agree a DC tanks better than tanks in this game, I have to disagree that GWF is not good on end game pvp. I jsut think most are still clueless regarding their jobs/gear/build in the xbox version yet.
    thanks for the recommendation too, and yea the game is still new on xbox, and way too many people chasing after kills, maybe thats way the game is flooded with TR's
    edited May 2015
    Forums are a great source of knowledge in any game, but you have to sift through all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> threads of people complaining about OP classes and bad classes. Every single class in this game can absolutely dominate in PvP. Neverwinter no madder what anyone says, is very very skill dependent. A lot of people like to say TRs are so op and you just put any points into the class and you'll dominate. While that may be true against unskilled players, it certainly isn't the case against skilled opponents. I am definately not the best nor do I claim to be, but generally speaking i trash other TRs. Not because of gear, but because most people are predictable and generally I know what they are going to do before they do. Again this goes back to me saying it's important to be able to determine what build people are using and what encounters they have available.

A smart player will adjust his encounters depending who they are fighting.

Bottom line, don't listen to the whiny threads. Play the game for yourself and do your research, it will only make you better. Also remember that PvP is competitive, there will always be someone that's better than you and that's great, because those people will cause you to rethink what your doing and you will be better because of it.

I generally solo Q unless we have a premade going on. That being said, grouping up with a buddy as a duo and coordinating together is very effective in PvP. Usually in pug matches all it takes to dominate is two people. Get with a buddy and cap the nodes, coordinate your attacks and watch the glory fly in.

And have fun! That is after all why we play games &#55357;&#56836;
    edited May 2015
    Lmao i hope i end up in a match against you someday, but first let me hit 60
  • pxshgxdpxshgxd Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    As a GWF I feel I do ok in PvP I'm able to hold a node for a decent time as well 1v1
    Any class
    edited May 2015
    Forums are a great source of knowledge in any game, but you have to sift through all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> threads of people complaining about OP classes and bad classes. Every single class in this game can absolutely dominate in PvP. Neverwinter no madder what anyone says, is very very skill dependent. A lot of people like to say TRs are so op and you just put any points into the class and you'll dominate. While that may be true against unskilled players, it certainly isn't the case against skilled opponents. I am definately not the best nor do I claim to be, but generally speaking i trash other TRs. Not because of gear, but because most people are predictable and generally I know what they are going to do before they do. Again this goes back to me saying it's important to be able to determine what build people are using and what encounters they have available.

A smart player will adjust his encounters depending who they are fighting.

Bottom line, don't listen to the whiny threads. Play the game for yourself and do your research, it will only make you better. Also remember that PvP is competitive, there will always be someone that's better than you and that's great, because those people will cause you to rethink what your doing and you will be better because of it.

I generally solo Q unless we have a premade going on. That being said, grouping up with a buddy as a duo and coordinating together is very effective in PvP. Usually in pug matches all it takes to dominate is two people. Get with a buddy and cap the nodes, coordinate your attacks and watch the glory fly in.

And have fun! That is after all why we play games ��
    Stop giving out PC secrets!!! Lol j/k
    Tenacity PvP Guild
    twitch.tv/Divine1982
    edited May 2015
    what is the point of hide the secrets to smash pugs only. good pvpers like challenge and want people to be good to present challenge lol.
    Gannicus GWF PvP
    DENIAL
    edited May 2015
    I agree with you. I wan't to help people because I wan't to see more people pvp and would love it if this game and the pvp community continue to grow.
    I also see Devine's point. We do have some friendly competition with certain PVP guilds and I do have some things I will only share with guild members.
    MIZZOU
    Control Wizard
    edited May 2015
    mizzou0 wrote: »
    I agree with you. I wan't to help people because I wan't to see more people pvp and would love it if this game and the pvp community continue to grow.
    I also see Devine's point. We do have some friendly competition with certain PVP guilds and I do have some things I will only share with guild members.

haha of course we can help people with the basics, but some secrets are secrets haha.
    Gannicus GWF PvP
    DENIAL
    edited May 2015
    azuosed89 wrote: »
    haha of course we can help people with the basics, but some secrets are secrets haha.

I also agree.

I don't mind taking the time to explain some basics of PvP and maybe even some helpful tips to properly gear and what stats are important.

I don't talk about my build however. It's no secret I run Scoundrel but I prefer not to go into detail. It's not like I have some special secret, but I took the time to build my own set up and I think other people should do the same, as everyone's play style is different. Also, at this point in the game there are no more "original" builds. They've all been thought out played by other people long before most of us even knew what NW was.

Discussing builds with guild members is different.

Sometimes people want you to literally play their character for them though. Or you tell them your build and they get mad when they can't duplicate the results. It just ends up frustrating for both parties. If people want a specific build they can look on the PC forums at all the very well done guides.
  • lemonknuckleslemonknuckles Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2015
    Hey munkey, I PUGed against you the other night and it was the single worst beating I've experienced in my short NW PvP career. ****in brutal.

Anyway, thanks to you and the others here for trying to grow the PvP community, and for trying to keep the whining in check. Loving this game so far, and hope to see it thrive.
    edited May 2015
    Hey munkey, I PUGed against you the other night and it was the single worst beating I've experienced in my short NW PvP career. ****in brutal.

Anyway, thanks to you and the others here for trying to grow the PvP community, and for trying to keep the whining in check. Loving this game so far, and hope to see it thrive.

Heh, sorry friend!

Great attitude to have though man, far better than most I'm afraid.

In your defence though I have pretty good gear. Little bit of skill and higher end gear goes a long way. Continue doing PvP and buy that 4 piece Grim Armor set as soon as you can, the grim weapons also I recommend as its all free and very good. Just have to put in some time to get it. If you don't have it already that is 😄

Gl man, cheers!
  • blueberry1973blueberry1973 Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2015
    If pvp is your passion why did you pick the most broken OP class to play my special snowflake. Make pvp your passion with a GWF or SW. Oh wait... that would take skill :(.

I cannot even get people to pvp because down syndrome kids run around and one shot everything....