test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Give GF a dodge or fix shield please.

crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
The main issue for me is how unresponsive and bugged our guard actually is. I was in elol today and a red aoe appered on me, ok so gf moves slow so I wouldn't have been able to outrun it so I tried to lift guard but nope, it took so long that the aoe hit before my shield would raise.

Guard should activate faster I think. I have no issue with the difficulty but I really don't like some things about gf class. Most other classes have an effective escape that is quite easy and quick to use and I would prefer one on gf if our guard is gonna stay like this. I already posted a list of bugs in mod 5 and our guard still isn't fixed :(

My main issues are

-Guard activates way too slow

-Guard is buggy and can sometimes not block cc and can drop for no reason, and rarly sometimes just doesn't active at all.

-some of our skills activation times are a bit much and the time we spend sitting there casting them is time we could be dying. But I would be fine with this if shield worked good.

I'm quite happy with the gf class atm and have no issue with the games difficulty but I wish some small tweaks could be made to guardian fighters not to make them stronger but to make the class a little faster and more responsive.
Crixus - PVP GF
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by crixus8000 on

Comments

• walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    um ok sure, if GF gets dodge then I want a shield for CW :p

how about just fix mobs hitting for 300k-1million+ (obviously not intended)
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Give my CW a proper shield, 100k base hit points, and 40% base DR from armor then.

How about playing with a healer that doesn't try to buff like a mad man or dps like a mod 5 cleric? How about not standing in red like my chicken during dungeons? You're smarter than my chicken aren't you? :cool:
  • setimoselosetimoselo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The CW already has a shield that is on par with the guardian fighters. The GF gets a 80% shield based on stamina, when the stamina goes then thats it. The CW gets a shield that provides permanent damage reduction (it upgrades on tab...). Let's not forget that fourth encounter while we get a freaking taunt... Besides all that the CW has enough heals in a particular capstone to the degree it can really be called a healer alternate. No CW needs to be complaining, the class is easily the most gifted class in the game right now.
    23uvq8m.png
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Bah, who wants a silly shield? If they get dodge, my wizard wants a sword! Dont you want a sword? I know I want a sword. Gandalf had a sword. We should have swords, cause swords are cool.

So its decided, swords for everyone!
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    Give my CW a proper shield, 100k base hit points, and 40% base DR from armor then.

How about playing with a healer that doesn't try to buff like a mad man or dps like a mod 5 cleric? How about not standing in red like my chicken during dungeons? You're smarter than my chicken aren't you? :cool:

I don't think I'm a chicken o.0 but yeah if you had taken the time to read my post you would know what I was on about. You could be the best player. Red cirlces don't stay there, they just appear and as a gf if its a big aoe right under your feet you just can't outrun it because we are slow and our guard lifts slowly too so = death.

All they have to do is make guard responsive not like our shield is asleep lol.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Bah, who wants a silly shield? If they get dodge, my wizard wants a sword! Dont you want a sword? I know I want a sword. Gandalf had a sword. We should have swords, cause swords are cool.

So its decided, swords for everyone!

Why would you want a sword when you can stay at distance and cc everyone o.0 ? but if you find a way to switch pm me and I I'll gladly give up my sword :D
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    walk2k wrote: »
    um ok sure, if GF gets dodge then I want a shield for CW :p

how about just fix mobs hitting for 300k-1million+ (obviously not intended)

As I said I have no issue with mobs or there dmg, my issue is about the gf alone, and it's inability to have fast reactions and instead just stand still doing nothing while I'm pressing my guard button. seriously, it takes so long to react :(
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    Why would you want a sword when you can stay at distance and cc everyone o.0 ? but if you find a way to switch pm me and I I'll gladly give up my sword :D

No, no, no its not a choice. I want to stay at a distance and cc everyone WHILE holding a sword. Anything else would be just plain silly.
    edited April 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    No, no, no its not a choice. I want to stay at a distance and cc everyone WHILE holding a sword. Anything else would be just plain silly.

Oh ok now I get it :D
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Protip:

As a GF or Paladin you must face your raised shield towards the center of the AOE (yes this can be hard to pull of at times but is the only way to get it to block the damage or other effect). Agreed that the response time can be stupid slow, and in the case of the Paladin bugged to where raising shield doesn't actually do anything. Hopefully both will be addressed before too long.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My suggestions:

1. Allow the raising of the shield to act as a toggle, if so desired, (one press to raise shield, a second press to lower it).

2. Add a brief immune period, where it acts as if the shield is raised, even though the act of raising the shield is still animating - this would alleviate issues due to lag or issues with red areas or enemy animations not animating/displaying.

3. Provide GFs with a run speed buff that is inversely proportional to how much of their stamina bar remains - perhaps capping at a 20% speed buff when it's empty.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited April 2015
    Protip:

As a GF or Paladin you must face your raised shield towards the center of the AOE (yes this can be hard to pull of at times but is the only way to get it to block the damage or other effect). Agreed that the response time can be stupid slow, and in the case of the Paladin bugged to where raising shield doesn't actually do anything. Hopefully both will be addressed before too long.

Gf is my only char and I have been playing a long time. it's nothing to do with skill, I know exactly how to defend against aoe, what I'm saying is that sometimes shield raises so slowly no matter how skilled you are or if you had perfect reflexes you still die because your guard just does not lift in time. I have tested it a lot and it's a big issue for me, in pvp and pve :/

Add that with guards other problems and bugs then it's a real issue. The more annoying thing though is that this issue and some of blocks well known bugs was reported by myself and many other gf's in mod 5 but they wasn't fixed.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    bioshrike wrote: »
    My suggestions:

1. Allow the raising of the shield to act as a toggle, if so desired, (one press to raise shield, a second press to lower it).

2. Add a brief immune period, where it acts as if the shield is raised, even though the act of raising the shield is still animating - this would alleviate issues due to lag or issues with red areas or enemy animations not animating/displaying.

3. Provide GFs with a run speed buff that is inversely proportional to how much of their stamina bar remains - perhaps capping at a 20% speed buff when it's empty.

I like the immune period idea and stamina but I don't think we need buffs atm and then that would probably lead to nerfs and more problems unfortunatly.

I honestly think just making guard almost instant activate would solve so many issues without making us stronger. But also like I said, guard can sometimes drop for no reason, not even lift at all and soemtimes cc can go through it. These arent 100% of the time though even if they are annoying, but the fact that our shields raise so slowly really bothers me and I know my fellow gf's I play with feel the same.

Just think, when rogue, cw or hr does there dodge is it not instant ? If you hit them it says "dodged" even before there char does the action, so it's responsive but gf shield takes way too long and sometimes more than usual.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elimin3elimin3 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Have you seen the cast time of heroism! my god you die or get interrupted sometimes.
    "It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously." Peter Ustinov
  • vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's the same issue for SW and GWF. There is like 0.8 sec delay before you actually start guarding/shadow slipping/sprinting, yet I am always able to shadow slip out of smoke bomb on my SW. Never had a problem guarding an attack on my GF either, which is my secondary PvP char. (not abusing hardlock thing) Latency may make this quite annoying though.
    edited April 2015
    vasdamas wrote: »
    It's the same issue for SW and GWF. There is like 0.8 sec delay before you actually start guarding/shadow slipping/sprinting, yet I am always able to shadow slip out of smoke bomb on my SW. Never had a problem guarding an attack on my GF either, which is my secondary PvP char. (not abusing hardlock thing) Latency may make this quite annoying though.

It's not all the time. Depends what enemies attack it is. but some are simply faster than gf shield activation and I find it frustrating.

There is some that are so small you can just walk out of the way. Others that are slow and you can guard in time, but some that go off faster than a gf can raise his shield, it shouldn't be like this.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    And yeah i know gwf and sw print arent very good either so i hope people can udnerstand :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    If your shield is slow then there's only one answer: latency. I remember playing my GF and that was one year ago. Shield was very responsive. Currently the whole game is laggy. Dungeons are full of rollbacks, rubberbanding, and stuff like that. Lag spikes are to be expected. That's what needs a fix and it will also fix your shield.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    If your shield is slow then there's only one answer: latency. I remember playing my GF and that was one year ago. Shield was very responsive. Currently the whole game is laggy. Dungeons are full of rollbacks, rubberbanding, and stuff like that. Lag spikes are to be expected. That's what needs a fix and it will also fix your shield.

It isn't just the slowness. Sometimes it won't even activate even when the animation kicks in. Your toon raises shield, the stamina bar doesn't move and you eat 100% of the damage. It also drops for no reason sometimes, so you block then the next second you are being battered while holding shift.

Shield is problematic.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
    edited April 2015
    thestaggy wrote: »
    It isn't just the slowness. Sometimes it won't even activate even when the animation kicks in. Your toon raises shield, the stamina bar doesn't move and you eat 100% of the damage. It also drops for no reason sometimes, so you block then the next second you are being battered while holding shift.

Shield is problematic.

That's latency again, when the shield is dropped for no reason.
  • dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Right now full 100% shield would rise issues in pvp, but GF could have 100% and better reaction in pve only. Would CW be jealous about it? Some CW are jealous about everything - DC can do better burst damage, GWF can face tank better, OP has better daily, TR have "their" Paingiver. When GF shield passes a damage more than whole GF hp, yeah, good luck to find DC and CW using damage debuff skills. GF can use clutch called "Steel Defence", sort of ITC for GF. Can GF activate daily as frequently as TR can ITC? In legit way it cannot. Should GF be jealous about ITC? How many TR play with Whisperknife path because no ITC in it?

The game always had a some lag for me. Just like any game with US based server. There is similar pattern - one group of players can play comfortably with low ping, it works to their advantage, another group has 5-15% longer cool-downs and activation time periods and these are under-performing. No dev takes it into account and no plans for EU players for own server. So pretty much every discussion about timing mechanics can be concluded "it works fine for me".
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• ancyrasancyras Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It happened to me many times with my GF and paladin tank. I use shift which supposed to make immune to cc and give more survivability but "no". You get normal damage and no cc. You must press very early. And most of spells are so slow to cast. It's because of animation or design. Latency also another factor but mainly casting animation. I wish they make that kind of important spells apply more faster or instant. For example on paladin, Absolution (shield) or Cleansing Touch (heal) spells are very slow to cast. I don't use them in normal tanking rotation but when there is no healer or healing is not enough and trash mobs hit like truck, want to use them but mostly die until cast. We already have cool-down on spells, no need so long animations. I wish they make them faster in future to make more effective and fun. Also most of dailies are so slow to cast and you can't use while moving.
  • kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you ask me I will say that Fighters Recovery (hands down the beast daily for survival GF has) has pretty fast animation.
    But there are also many others that takes ages to perform - I'm looking at you Iron Warrior...
    At least Enforced Threat was tweaked, although I must say that at it's current "cast speed" it looks really funny :)
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kemi1984 wrote: »
    If you ask me I will say that Fighters Recovery (hands down the beast daily for survival GF has) has pretty fast animation.
    But there are also many others that takes ages to perform - I'm looking at you Iron Warrior...
    At least Enforced Threat was tweaked, although I must say that at it's current "cast speed" it looks really funny :)
    I don't recall any encounters in game which can be interrupted easily like Iron Warrior
    EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's not about interrupt. It's about short period of time when you activate a power before...well it's too late.
    Been in eLoL yesterday and while dealing with scorpions I had to raise a shield (to block imminent death attack) just to cancel animation of certain skills.

So, again, it's not about the interrupt. Of course you can still finish the animation and die during it's cast time :)
    But to be fair, much depends on timing, if you're just pushing buttons w/o actually looking at the mob and knowing when it will make a hit - you will die.

And I'm not saying this to brag, it's just how it is - especially in the times of Mod6.
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • blacksladdiblacksladdi Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the paladin sanctuary (guard for simplicity) also has this buggy problem, sometimes you press shift your character does the animation and it doesn't work... the ground doesn't light up etc.

this is kinda an old problem with a slow block from Gf's i just pretty much keep that button pressed when facing bosses on my GF, but havn't played it in mod 6 yet. Its my next class to level threw the EE zones.
  • k0z3r1sk0z3r1s Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Totally Agree with you Crixus, GF shield and other encounters for me for example casts wayyy too long... shield takes 2-3 seconds to lift in that time i,m not stunned but even dead
  • rawlor9krawlor9k Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ./agree

Because it's true.

I do think most of it is latency... it seems that the Cryptic servers and/or network can't keep up with the amount of load being placed on them. That is fixable to a point. Along with that they still need a better software solution for GF's guard to deal with situations where latency creeps up and packets are dropped.

It's amazing to me that they require split second timing and paying attention to mobs in great detail and then don't provide you the proper tools to do that. There wouldn't be such rampant exploitation of skills and environment if the base mechanics worked and were balanced.
  • mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    irapeya wrote: »
    If your CW gets a sword i want a gun for my OP.

Just scrap current CW design and import Knight Enchanter from Dragon Age Inquisition.
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have not had issues with block response time. Outside of the ever-present l...aaa....gg.......gggallalla........gg..ll. in this mod. this. in mod. in la..in...mod....GGGGGGGGG! What is not lag and hurts GF is the number of CCs that completely ignore our block. No other class has to contend with that unreliability.