test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

when greed ruins a game...

blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
when the game is run by greed and not fun it comes to a end. its over. the end. what did you honestly think i was gonna make a valid argument;) for this? nope. i dont feel like it its 6 am here and i didnt sleep. and im tired of greed in the world. cryptic please set a example. oh wait......:D:D:D:
Post edited by blackxxwolf3 on

Comments

• bwowmpbwowmp Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay...so this will probably get this thread immediately shut down. But here goes.

Everyone here seems to complain and whine on and on about Cryptic Studios, and to imply that the guys there are making lots of money while ignoring decisions based on gameplay, player opinion, feedback, etc. There also seems to be a largely universal perception that they willfully ignore things which would improve the player experience and are motivated largely by greed. I can almost guarantee you that this is not the case, and that their hands are much more tied than you could ever imagine.

You have to remember that Cryptic is a wholly-owned subsidiary of PWE (Perfect World Entertainment), which is a Chinese company. They purchased Cryptic from Atari back in what...2011? 2012? Can't remember exactly.

The Chinese mindset and the American mindset are VERY different. The way that the two cultures function is very different. The way that they do business is very different. I should know. My father-in-law is Chinese, I've spent significant time in China, and still do business regularly either there, or with Chinese individuals and organizations here in the US.

In all likelihood there is a Chinese national sitting at Cryptic in Los Gatos with a big office and a big title, having been sent from Beijing by PWE to keep a close eye on everything and communicate directly with them regularly, and all of the development team and their manager ultimately report back to him. His job? Keep the US expenditures and the grousing to a minimum and keep the cash flowing back to Beijing to a maximum.

Want new or additional servers to address this constant lag problem? Good luck!! Unless everyone starts loving Mod 6 and piling into the Zen Market, it will probably not happen.

As a Chinese company, you can rest assured that this game will always be driven by the bottom-line and how much money can be delivered back to its investors and executives in Beijing. It will likely never be greatly affected by customer service and concern for the player experience. This is not the fault of the average developer at Cryptic. I'm sure many of them are great guys/gals with a passion for what they do and a true desire to make MMORPGs better every day.

But it is ultimately the goal of ANY business to make money, and the Chinese management will undoubtedly place the ability to drive players to the Zen Market and get your cash over the short-term way above any desire to keep their business flowing long-term and create a sustainable business over time, perhaps initially at lower revenue levels. Customer retention is likely not a huge concern. One customer spending $100 per month is worth keeping, even if they lose 100 customers paying nothing for each of those paying customers whom they retain. The PWE guys would never think long-term...that if 4 of those 100 customers stick around long enough to love the game and begin spending $50 per month each, they would come out ahead in the end.

If they start thinking that way, the guy in the corner office gets a phone call (or more likely a Skype call) and he's on a plane back to Beijing the next day.

This is not a racist rant by any means. I love the Chinese...including my wife and her family. But there are huge cultural differences at play here, and the business mentality inherent in this setup is one which nobody seems to consider, and which ultimately drives everything here. It's likely more complex and convoluted than I or any of you could know.

Just keep reminding yourselves...this game is free to play. And be thankful for that.
  • fenchimpfenchimp Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm just sick of seeing terrible PR lately. Nobody's request for patch notes have been acknowledged as of yet. Lord knows WHAT they're going to "fix."

While we're talking about crappy PR, a couple weeks ago my girlfriend went onto Origin to buy the latest Sims expansion. Only to discover her account has been locked from purchases because someone in the States used her account to buy FIFA 2015. The purchase was refunded, but supposedly they can't do anything about the block unless one actually CALLS them. I wonder how much less income they're seeing. Apparently a fair few people had their accounts compromised, and it never even made it into the news.
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    what did you honestly think i was gonna make a valid argumen

I didn't figure you'd start now
  • ravenanravenan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What income? With prices so high? Lets say we have 60 euro, new AAA game. How many things you can do with it to be near BIS? Thats there problem and they fail to see that. Micro transactions should be micro, they expect macro. Thats why they loosing with third parties seling ad.
    Main : GF - Lord Kruk
    Steel and Magic
    edited April 2015
    I am not trying to ameliorate or lessen anyone's hurt feelings or frustration. Just to point out that constant moaning and whining about Cryptic is pointless, when PWE ultimately steers the ship.

The Chairman and founder of PWE tendered an offer in January to take the company private again and remove it from the public markets. It will take a while for this to occur (if it does), but perhaps it will spark some changes in corporate culture if this guy came from a "Gamer" or "Techie" background instead of being merely a bean-counter.

Most folks playing a "Freemium" game like this one are going to feel cheated or put out in some way unless they constantly spend gobs of money on the game. And even if they do spend gobs of money....it's the company's job to keep updating and modifying content in a way to keep them spending. You can always anticipate that, and take it to the bank (pun intended). How long do you think PWE could continue paying 5,000+ employees and sustain operations without maintaining and increasing revenue?

The easy solution? Don't buy Zen. Be happy not to be BiS on everything and not to have all the coolest mounts or gear. Grind for what you get. Enjoy the ride and don't feel the need to be a demi-god and to have other players believe that you are amazing when they inspect your toon. Be happy not to dominate in PvP. Be happy to grind PvE and take some time to smell the roses.

I buy Zen occasionally (mainly for coal wards). Why? Because I can afford it, and because it's necessary for some things I want to do. But I have essentially stopped spending money on this thing for now, and am waiting to see if PWE can even continue Neverwinter over the long-term having invested heavily in it and seeming to satisfy virtually no one with Mod 6.

We'll all just have to wait and see.
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2015
    PWE bought cryptic to try and turn it into a profit powerhouse, clearly their tactics which work well in Chinese markets are not doing so well in US/Europe. Chinese players cannot afford to be as picky with the games they play because foreign games are illegal there. Clearly, someone else who isn't stuck on these ideals would be capable of getting this derailed train back on the tracks but I doubt PWE will take that path as I'm sure the person making the calls at Cryptic is one of their own.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Something most people fail to understand:
    I found a bug today.
    Devs see my report tomorrow - put it into the "Bug-Tracker" system.
    The system prioritizes the bug based on certain criteria.
    The Devs chisel away as fast as they can at the Bug Tracker listings in the order that the Bug Tracker lists it based on priority. Listings of the same priority level are first-come, first-served.
    The bug I report in January might not be fixed until July - because it's priority was lower than say 'that Auction House exploit" and so on.
    1. PWE and Cryptic Studios are for-profit companies. It's not about greed any more than your being employed because of 'greed'. It's about remaining a going concern (staying in business).
    2. They are working very hard to create something that they are giving you pro-bono (for farking free).
    3. They want (and need) it to be the best it can be in order to gain attention and draw-in players.
    4. They need to generate revenue somehow (hence the Zen Market) - because number 1 above.

Hence, threads like this are generally a ludicrous circus of laugh-ability highlighting the uneducated ignorance of people with regard to how things work. Bugs that break the game get fixed overnight. Bugs that annoy you and only you get put on the list. The bottom of the list, but at least it's on the list.

I am not defending Cryptic or PWE or anything else, but I certainly understand how digital development businesses (read: writing computer software) generally work.

But in the end: you should always remember this: This and any other "free-to-play" game is always worth 100% of every single penny you paid for it at sign-up. So kwitchrbichenaboutit.
    edited April 2015
    And let's all keep this in mind as well. We are what...two weeks into a new Mod release? It's bound to be terribly buggy, and there are bound to be changes no one likes (I hate that I grinded FOREVER for my DT gear and artifact weapons, just to see them become worthless in a day). I will admit it. I like and expect immediate gratification as much as the next guy. But reality does rear its ugly head...even in imaginary worlds.

morenthar - I think you hit the nail on the head above, and I think it points to the main issue addressed in my initial comment. They (development and support teams) are obviously struggling mightily with this at Cryptic. Given the recent chatter about layoffs and the like, it is probably a nightmare for them at this point to try to put Humpty Dumpty back together again after this release.

This would take time in the best of circumstances, and they appear to be operating in very difficult circumstances at present. Again...time will tell. Either things will get fixed, everyone will calm down, and we will get back to having fun again, or Neverwinter will disappear from the face of the earth, as it has already done once before when AOL owned it back in the 90's and killed it then.

Happy gaming all. Remember...if you didn't truly love doing this, you would not be wasting your time reading and posting in these forums.
    edited April 2015
    Something most people fail to understand:
    I found a bug today.
    Devs see my report tomorrow - put it into the "Bug-Tracker" system.
    The system prioritizes the bug based on certain criteria.
    The Devs chisel away as fast as they can at the Bug Tracker listings in the order that the Bug Tracker lists it based on priority. Listings of the same priority level are first-come, first-served.
    The bug I report in January might not be fixed until July - because it's priority was lower than say 'that Auction House exploit" and so on.
    1. PWE and Cryptic Studios are for-profit companies. It's not about greed any more than your being employed because of 'greed'. It's about remaining a going concern (staying in business).
    2. They are working very hard to create something that they are giving you pro-bono (for farking free).
    3. They want (and need) it to be the best it can be in order to gain attention and draw-in players.
    4. They need to generate revenue somehow (hence the Zen Market) - because number 1 above.

Hence, threads like this are generally a ludicrous circus of laugh-ability highlighting the uneducated ignorance of people with regard to how things work. Bugs that break the game get fixed overnight. Bugs that annoy you and only you get put on the list. The bottom of the list, but at least it's on the list.

I am not defending Cryptic or PWE or anything else, but I certainly understand how digital development businesses (read: writing computer software) generally work.

But in the end: you should always remember this: This and any other "free-to-play" game is always worth 100% of every single penny you paid for it at sign-up. So kwitchrbichenaboutit.

Spot on. Great comment.
  • alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited April 2015
    is not greed that ruins cryptic NW its their 0 care about the game the mod 6 shows this even better
    edited April 2015
    ihaveahies wrote: »
    1) I could use the same argument to support slavery, child labour, and paying below minimum wage as long as they are getting food and some basics. More extreme of course, but just because they're a business doesn't mean they can't be greedy.
    2) Yes recycling the majority of content and ignoring things that need fixing is working very hard. I too would like a job where I get bonuses for being so hardworking, any recommendation for free positions somewhere?
    3) Then why isnt it?
    4) Oh really.

Many bugs throughout the games lifespan have existed that wrecked the economy and should have been fixed sooner and in a lot of cases, never made it out. But sure defend them, that will surely make things better. There are a lot of free2play games out there that are here purely to milk their players, if we're not careful it could end up being so widespread that we have no choice but to play free2play but have to pay to get enjoyment out of it because any paid for options have all swapped to something more profitable.

1. A video game is just a tad different from the various sleazy enterprises which you put forth. And what's wrong with or shocking about greed? It is inherent to running a profitable business. PWE is certainly not a charity.
    2. Unless you are on staff at Cryptic, you have no idea how hard they are (or are not ) working to get this thing to top-notch quality. Or whether they even are. Neither do I.
    3. Because MMORPGs are incredibly dynamic, incredibly complex, and difficult to create and maintain. If not, I'd have seven or eight out there myself. And because no matter how stellar you make the game, you will never please everyone.
    4. Yes really. It's the only cash revenue stream in the game, and supports everything else.

Free to play = imperfect at best. Pay to play = imperfect at best. You get what you pay for. Or what you don't.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    PWE and Cryptic Studios are for-profit companies. It's not about greed any more than your being employed because of 'greed'. It's about remaining a going concern (staying in business).
    1. They are working very hard to create something that they are giving you pro-bono (for farking free).
    2. They want (and need) it to be the best it can be in order to gain attention and draw-in players.
    3. They need to generate revenue somehow (hence the Zen Market) - because number 1 above.

I think this is where you are wrong about PWE. They do not understand capitalism.
    Lose customers = increase prices to compensate loss in revenue = lose more customers = increase ... = downward spiral.

They don't "need" it to be the best it can be -- it's one of several dozen "fantasy" mmo titles they own. If one begins losing profitabilty, they simply release a "new mmo." Cryptic is already hard at work on a new "secret project." They have boasted that they could put out a new mmo every 18 months. Probably a factor in why PWE purchased them. Fits their profit model. The new mmo will be fresh and exciting and new and milk the initial wave of customers for as much zen as possible, then over a couple years as the prices increase and the consumers fall off, .... lather, rinse, repeat.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    when the game is run by greed and not fun it comes to a end. its over. the end. what did you honestly think i was gonna make a valid argument;) for this? nope. i dont feel like it its 6 am here and i didnt sleep. and im tired of greed in the world. cryptic please set a example. oh wait......:D:D:D:

Sorry, but the players asked for lvl increase. Kept asking and asking.

Some of us knew a lvl increase would be the same pewp, different pile....but they kept asking and asking.

Now the devs gave what players asked for, and of course it is not good enough.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't get me started on the greedy players who have exploited and exploited...resonators, selling unbound pets that should be bound, closing down the most recent gift codes with player greed.
    edited April 2015
    But they didn't go f2p to cut costs, I don't see why f2p should be compared any differently than one with another form of payment model. Both of those rely on money to be profitable, and both should give a good experience and reason for people to pay. Yet I constantly see people using the "zomg it's a free game". It's not, the costs are there, it's just that f2p is the new trend and they wanted to copy the success of other f2p games.

Agreed...F2P is not about cutting costs. You are right. Any model ultimately relies on getting paid. By us.

My point which you quoted was maybe not so clear. It is simply implying that all of our kvetching on here will likely have very little effect on the overall game-play experience (much less the specific bugs and exploits which everyone complain about incessantly). Our opinions will certainly have less impact than those monthly cash-flow statements as presented to management back in Beijing. We can't know nor understand the motivations nor priorities of PWE at any given time, and since it is a free game, all we can do is play it if we like it, or bail if we don't.

Thank the stars everyone is entitled to vote with their feet.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "Greed is good brotha"

You want to know the real problem? They cant figure a way to make this game exist to depart me from my money for it.

They can continue to increase costing, wont work, because I dont care enough, there simply is not enough content at a quality entertainment cost to get me to spend more then a odd ten bucks here and there.

They could listen to feedback about certain cost criteria and make some adjustments, but they dont seem to care about that either.

I have no issue with a game company making money, but I think they over evaluated their product and their pricing point and the attempted market graphic they are hitting.

A average mmo player is a average worker, who usually foregoes other entertainment to play the mmo.. Its not my full time job, its never going to get more then a small percentage of my money, if they are more careful in their marketing and value return, they get a little more, but because they are gated so heavily, they get very little. Other mmos Ive played, did a much better job, with much more valued micro transactions that progressed my toons a small percentage, but I got a immediate return on that entertainment investment.

* source http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/gateway_demographics.html

Im not here to tell them how to create that market, they dont pay me for that, I just give feedback, when I see something too skewed (IE the artifact RP gating, it was way too heavy and I was a very heavy critic on it) or pricing (blood rubies.. lol)

They seem to market to one small demographic, which is a shame. This game doesn't even have that many of those players and a wider spectrum approach would be more palatable to many of us.
  • lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, there is a solution:

Obviously, the ones that run the servers need money to do that, so at least there has to be some money spent at all. But creating content is something, that some people actually LIKE to do (foundry!). Make an event, tell all that file in a new 3d-model with bone-ani and texture that the best 20 will get into the game; they could even suggest some names and that they will get ingame-freebees and you'll get responses (try!).

Then there are people who LOVE to code. Give them the engine, let them bugfix and improve. Let THOUSAND eyes see what few might miss. Control the item-market and the servers, do the money-part and make the actual code OpenSource. You'll have the best game-engine in a year.

DirectX or OpenGL? Someone will write a wrapper. Voiceover missing? Someone will file in. Something is exploitable? Someone will fix it. You need obscurity because your transaction or Server-Client-Communication is unsafe? Someone will implement state-of-the-art encryption that is unbeatable.

Let me have a dream, think of a future where engine (grafics) and content are compatible but separated. You liked that certain old game from 2017 but the actual grafics of the new engine of 2025 is much better? Well, lucky you, You can play the old game with the new engine (think of scummVM).

Abstraction. It already works for hardware (drivers), operating-systems (frameworks like .Net). Be visionæry.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bwowmp wrote: »
    Okay...so this will probably get this thread immediately shut down. But here goes.

Everyone here seems to complain and whine on and on about Cryptic Studios, and to imply that the guys there are making lots of money while ignoring decisions based on gameplay, player opinion, feedback, etc. There also seems to be a largely universal perception that they willfully ignore things which would improve the player experience and are motivated largely by greed. I can almost guarantee you that this is not the case, and that their hands are much more tied than you could ever imagine.

You have to remember that Cryptic is a wholly-owned subsidiary of PWE (Perfect World Entertainment), which is a Chinese company. They purchased Cryptic from Atari back in what...2011? 2012? Can't remember exactly.

The Chinese mindset and the American mindset are VERY different. The way that the two cultures function is very different. The way that they do business is very different. I should know. My father-in-law is Chinese, I've spent significant time in China, and still do business regularly either there, or with Chinese individuals and organizations here in the US.

In all likelihood there is a Chinese national sitting at Cryptic in Los Gatos with a big office and a big title, having been sent from Beijing by PWE to keep a close eye on everything and communicate directly with them regularly, and all of the development team and their manager ultimately report back to him. His job? Keep the US expenditures and the grousing to a minimum and keep the cash flowing back to Beijing to a maximum.

Want new or additional servers to address this constant lag problem? Good luck!! Unless everyone starts loving Mod 6 and piling into the Zen Market, it will probably not happen.

As a Chinese company, you can rest assured that this game will always be driven by the bottom-line and how much money can be delivered back to its investors and executives in Beijing. It will likely never be greatly affected by customer service and concern for the player experience. This is not the fault of the average developer at Cryptic. I'm sure many of them are great guys/gals with a passion for what they do and a true desire to make MMORPGs better every day.

But it is ultimately the goal of ANY business to make money, and the Chinese management will undoubtedly place the ability to drive players to the Zen Market and get your cash over the short-term way above any desire to keep their business flowing long-term and create a sustainable business over time, perhaps initially at lower revenue levels. Customer retention is likely not a huge concern. One customer spending $100 per month is worth keeping, even if they lose 100 customers paying nothing for each of those paying customers whom they retain. The PWE guys would never think long-term...that if 4 of those 100 customers stick around long enough to love the game and begin spending $50 per month each, they would come out ahead in the end.

If they start thinking that way, the guy in the corner office gets a phone call (or more likely a Skype call) and he's on a plane back to Beijing the next day.

This is not a racist rant by any means. I love the Chinese...including my wife and her family. But there are huge cultural differences at play here, and the business mentality inherent in this setup is one which nobody seems to consider, and which ultimately drives everything here. It's likely more complex and convoluted than I or any of you could know.

Just keep reminding yourselves...this game is free to play. And be thankful for that.

This guy knows what he is talking about!

This is all you need to read in this entire thread.
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    1) I could use the same argument to support slavery, child labour, and paying below minimum wage as long as they are getting food and some basics.

Except those are examples of illegal activity in any respectable western nation. So try again, please.

However, if we want to bring the subject of "greed" into it, then I proffer this position: The OP is GREEDY for wanting something for nothing then botching about it when they don't get it. Where is the greed based in this scenario?

Go ahead and deflect that question because that's all anyone can do.

~shrug~
    eldarth wrote: »
    I think this is where you are wrong about PWE. They do not understand capitalism.

1) PWE (Perfect World Entertainment) is an American company that employs Americans.
    2) PWE does not develop or market Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, and Champions Online; Cryptic Studios does.
    3) It has already been said over the years, countless times, by Devs of Neverwinter, Star Trek Online and Champions Online that PWE is generally "hands-off".
    4 It is PWI (Perfect World International) that is the Chinese company based in China and PWE's parent umbrella organization. I am not debunking your argument and I agree: perhaps the Chinese culture does not understand capitalism the way we do in western civilizations; but the Chinese entity you refer to is so far removed from the scenario that you are making the wrong argument.

Therefore your arguments are relatively moot.

No matter how hard anyone tries to debunk my original comment in this thread it will always be an attempted deflection; a typical liberal attempt to give a non-answer to a question. I speak truth in that comment and the simple fact is sometimes truth hurts.

All you can do be be honest with yourself, or not.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Okay so I was ninja'd by above, but the following is still important to the arguments for accuracy:

PWE, Perfect World Entertainment is a fully North American subsidiary of Perfect World based out of Redwood City in California.

PW, Perfect World, is the Chinese parent company based out of Beijing.

PWI, Perfect World International is a game.

PWE is run by U.S. Citizens and, as a company, is established to address the North American and European markets. It may have a board of governors that may include executives from PW, but it is not run by Chinese Nationals. PWE is, however, not publicly traded separately from Perfect World (NASDAQ: PWRD). This means they are beholden to their parent company for financial direction, but development is wholly locally administrated and directed.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • fenchimpfenchimp Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    However, if we want to bring the subject of "greed" into it, then I proffer this position: The OP is GREEDY for wanting something for nothing then botching about it when they don't get it. Where is the greed based in this scenario?

Go ahead and deflect that question because that's all anyone can do.

Absolutely wrong. You say he wants "something for nothing." The problem at heart here, as I understand it, is that the game is NOT free for many people. We have invested money, and therefore double the time, into this game, and in return they have ruined the experience for many devoted fans.

What do you say to that? That they "chose" to spend money on the game? That changes absolutely nothing. You are a shallow, pedantic fool if you think any request for change from a paying fanbase is "greedy."
    edited April 2015
    [/QUOTE]1) PWE (Perfect World Entertainment) is an American company that employs americans.
    2) PWE does not develop or market Neverwinter, Star Trek Online, and Champions Online; Cryptic Studios does.
    3) It has already been said over the years, countless times, by Devs of Neverwinter, Star Trek Online and Champions Online that PWE is generally "hands-off".

Therefore your arguments are relatively moot.

No matter how hard anyone tries to debunk my original comment in this thread it will always be an attempted deflection; a typical liberal attempt to give a non-answer to a question. I speak truth in that comment and the simple fact is sometimes truth hurts.

All you can do be be honest with yourself, or not.[/QUOTE]

angrysprite

You are dead wrong here. Loved your original comment. Defended it. But:
    1. Perfect World is a Chinese company...look it up. Based in Beijing. Founded in 2004 by Chinese individuals. Bought Cryptic from Atari. Parent company, perhaps, but all subsidiaries report to Beijing.
    2. Yes Cryptic develops and markets their games. But see number 3.
    3. I can promise you, despite what you may have heard, or what anyone says, Perfect World (Beijing) is not "hands off". It is a Chinese company, it is publicly traded, and I can promise management would never buy an American company, fold them into the corporation, and then give them free rein. In fact...I would almost guarantee that Cryptic is managed to death by Perfect World. Maybe not, but this would fly in the face of all I have ever seen in working with and for Chinese individuals and corporations. Maybe I'm wrong. Doubt it.

To address the post you quoted...Perfect World understands capitalism very well. Better than most of us do. This I know. You don't build a company with nearly $1 billion in market cap without understanding capitalism. The Chinese get it...they just work and exploit it very differently.