test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free to play cash grab

d34dbodymand34dbodyman Member Posts: 3 Arc User
First let me say I gave $50 to the game to get some keys and run my luck, I feel robbed. RNG with real money is unacceptable. I cant see sinking hundreds of dollars into this game on a RNG cash grab. Ill gladly go back to Wow knowing after i give them a year subscription I can accomplish anything in game without others or myself buying their way to the top.

The only reason i pvp is for AD's and i have to waste my time in part of the game i have 0 interest in just so i can get currency i need for PVE. on top of that you can buy your gear and enchants making the game unbalanced and no fun what so ever.

1 Rogue, 1 single rogue was camping my spawn point and 1 shoting everyone before they hit the ground. forcing every player to get kicked out for afk since they could not attack even though they were moving and playing.

So for me to even care and be competitive i have to spend hundreds of dollars of real money to realistically make a full set of lvl 20 enchants to keep up with everyone eases credit card toon.

now lets talk about PVE. you want the cool spider mount $200, you want the best pets lvled to 30-40 $200. you want lvl 20 enchants in every slot. probably much more then $200 unless you want to wast years, in a single game. YEARS

Dungeons lol you die sorry cant res more then once unless you give them $5... are you serious!

If this company wasnt so greedy and made everything achievable in less than 5 years time and did charge so much for zen that you get so little with i wouldnt mind giving them my money. but Unless you sink hundred of $ into this game you get nothing but getting ripped off. $37 for a 110% mount $10 for a 24 slot bag. for F***K sake

I spent about $900 in world of warcraft for 6 years of game time and had a blast and accomplished a lot with my guild. But is seems like a soon as you make a character this company want that $900 on log in and factors in 6 years of game play in 1 month time.

Once my achievements are complete ill move to the next game and gladly pay my $60 over this cash grab of a joke.
Post edited by d34dbodyman on

Comments

• iowastatecycloneiowastatecyclone Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2015
    Totally agree with you on this one. I know the game is free and such, but it does seem a bit excessive with the prices of stuff in-game. I broke down and bought the Heirloom pack (figured $20 is ok for the amount of play i've had in it so far -> which has generally been enjoyable). But all this has done is want me to play a "real" RPG even more.
  • telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That is sure a crazy rant you have there, op.
    I'm sure this thread will be locked, but before it is, I want to correct a few blazing untruths you've made:

* The Spider mount is $65, not $200 (this is the Xbox forum). It comes with heaps of other stuff too, including:
    * The Spider comes with a pet panther that can hit max level, you don't need another $200. And other purple pets aren't that hard to earn
    * The lock boxes are a lottery. That is made clear, and you can preview the box to see what can drop (note most of it is NOT the top prize)
    * You get free bags doing the campaign, you don't need to buy them.
    * There is nothing in the Zen store you need. Lots of stuff that's nice, but nothing you need.
    * You have to grind for stuff from the real money store. So? That's what you do in MMOs. Grind. If you don't like it, why play?
    * At level 60, diamonds will be coming in faster than you can refine - so it's not like it's to hard to grind Zen anyhow.

Thanks for sharing though.
    I broke down and bought the Heirloom pack (figured $20 is ok for the amount of play i've had in it so far -> which has generally been enjoyable).
    Heirloom pack is great. It'll get you to level 60, and once you're there you can salvage epic gear for easy diamonds. Combine that with the leadership skill and you'll hit the 24k daily cap easy.
    If you can hit 60 with two or three toons (the heirloom pack is given to every character you make, plus it gave you a 3rd character slot), you'll earn zen reall fast (particularly because on xbox zen is selling so cheap).
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • twinstripeuktwinstripeuk Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    telprydain wrote: »
    That is sure a crazy rant you have there, op.
    I'm sure this thread will be locked, but before it is, I want to correct a few blazing untruths you've made:

* The Spider mount is $65, not $200 (this is the Xbox forum). It comes with heaps of other stuff too, including:
    * The Spider comes with a pet panther that can hit max level, you don't need another $200. And other purple pets aren't that hard to earn
    * The lock boxes are a lottery. That is made clear, and you can preview the box to see what can drop (note most of it is NOT the top prize)
    * You get free bags doing the campaign, you don't need to buy them.
    * There is nothing in the Zen store you need. Lots of stuff that's nice, but nothing you need.
    * You have to grind for stuff from the real money store. So? That's what you do in MMOs. Grind. If you don't like it, why play?
    * At level 60, diamonds will be coming in faster than you can refine - so it's not like it's to hard to grind Zen anyhow.

Thanks for sharing though.

Heirloom pack is great. It'll get you to level 60, and once you're there you can salvage epic gear for easy diamonds. Combine that with the leadership skill and you'll hit the 24k daily cap easy.
    If you can hit 60 with two or three toons (the heirloom pack is given to every character you make, plus it gave you a 3rd character slot), you'll earn zen reall fast (particularly because on xbox zen is selling so cheap).

THIS^^

THIS WITH NOBS ON^^^

Firstly to the OP, if you paid $50 of your own cash on keys, you're a mug. Sorry to be brutal about it, but them's the facts. There are far, FAR better things that you can spend your cash on that will generate enough AD to turn into Zen for you to buy keys from now until the end of time (such as character slots in order to start a Professions production line, and an Heirloom pack to give all those toons a little advantage to start with).

Don't believe me? For the same amount of cash you can get up to 10 character slots, an Heirloom pack and still have some Zen lying around to either hoard, or buy some AD if you fancy trading in the Auction House. I did the same, and I've already made enough AD back through Leadership, Invocation, Dailies and trading on AH to cover half of my original outlay. Within a week or so I'll have enough for a Hero of the North pack, and then maybe Dragonborn and some keys next month.

And I've not got a single character past 38 yet, and my Leadership isn't even 13 on any of the toons either. By the time I get 5 of them maxed on both counts (probably about another month) I should be pulling in around 13-15k AD per toon just from Leadership, which is over 500 total Zen at current trading price -that's a Scourge Warlock/Hunter Ranger booster pack in under a week.

Easily achievable and without spending another red cent of my own cash (although I still feel good in supporting the devs with my original purchase).

It's not a cash grab if you just throw your money away without thinking about what your doing.
  • gaanjaa81gaanjaa81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mounts, pets, fashion and all that stuff does not bother me at all....... paying for them wards to upgrade stuff though.... urggghhh, its horrid, i dont even think they are directly farmable ingame or craftable which makes it even worse. (have to farm AD, yet they put a limit on how much you can refine a day, again ... very annoying)

its a FTP from perfect world, they have a bad reputation for their cash shops so i was prepared.
    Devoted cleric rule number one = We cant cure stupidity so no heals for fools ^.^
  • nfldpatriotnfldpatriot Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I did support the game with the purchase of a mount and companion while knowing I could eventually get those those items exchanging AD for Zen. I have now made enough AD-Zen that I have used many keys and a couple wards . I got what I wanted when I wanted, and also played the game for enjoyment plus the return on my playtime time with many items I didn't need to pay for. You choose what you pay for or what you are willing to play for, simple as that.
  • jarlax1jarlax1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited April 2015
    This IS a cash grab, but it is specifically designed to exploit inpatient people not willing to put in the effort to farm, invest in a profession, and be self sufficient to make your own zen without spending dollars
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    never bought a key with real money. those are something you buy with leftover zen or when you feel like god isnt looking at you.
    i have pretty many of the things i wanted to have and i spent relatively a low amount of money in 2 years of gaming here
  • draven165draven165 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Cash grab huh? A quick Google search for what exactly IS a cash grab found a ton of interesting articles. Several about how people are sick of everyone misusing the term Cash grab without understanding exactly what it means. Hence in this instance.

Cash Grab? No
    Business Model designed to make the Dev some money to support further development of the product? Sounds about right.

A Cash Grab would mean you are "forced" to spend money on this product which we all know you are not. If YOU are a compulsive person that cant control yourself and feel like you have to as someone stated above, then that's an issue with YOU and I would seek counseling. This is a business model nothing more nothing less. If I do not particularly like a product or service in life, I don't use it. Its that simple. My time is much more valuable than to go to a forum and waste my time complaining about wasting my money. And I sure as heck wouldn't keep playing a game if I felt as passionate about it as the OP does.

I dont usually take this tone in a forum but this is just silly. But that is just my thoughts. Go ahead and flame on LOL I am a grown man and it really doesn't bother me what others think about me.
  • brandonv516brandonv516 Member Posts: 89
    edited April 2015
    There are times when the game seems to urge you to spend money (which I don't like), but ultimately it is up to each individual to pay up. I work for a living and I am also used to paying subscription fees for MMOs, so buying individual items is strange to me. I've agreed not to spend more than $20 a month on this game (or $0 if I don't need anything that month) - this keeps me from feeling guilty about spending real money on intangible items.

Having spent years playing MMOs where the farming gets down right boring (Lineage II for example), Neverwinter excels at being fun while farming. All of this said, if it wasn't on the Xbox One I wouldn't be playing it.
  • daxrazorrdaxrazorr Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Spend A few Bucks to Keep the Developers Developing. Only what you think the game is worth. Seems fair to me.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    daxrazorr wrote: »
    Spend A few Bucks to Keep the Developers Developing. Only what you think the game is worth. Seems fair to me.

Developing what? more broken code, there's always one. Trying to reinvent the wheel, it was always going to end in tears. QQ
  • draven165draven165 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There are times when the game seems to urge you to spend money (which I don't like), but ultimately it is up to each individual to pay up. I work for a living and I am also used to paying subscription fees for MMOs, so buying individual items is strange to me. I've agreed not to spend more than $20 a month on this game (or $0 if I don't need anything that month) - this keeps me from feeling guilty about spending real money on intangible items.

Having spent years playing MMOs where the farming gets down right boring (Lineage II for example), Neverwinter excels at being fun while farming. All of this said, if it wasn't on the Xbox One I wouldn't be playing it.

I agree with the urging part. The spam of opening chests for example. I understand why they do it from a business sense, its just more of an annoyance to me but to be honest I have gotten so used to it that I tune it out mostly and barely notice it much anymore.

I also am used to paying monthly fees and as such have taken the approach that I will treat it as a monthly subscription and give myself $20 a month to play around with. Supporting the Devs and granting myself a few novelties to toy with. But like many have said that is a personal preference and wouldn't expect that to work for everyone.

And I too have fun farming in this game. I have been doing the dailies for the campaign for a little over a week and actually enjoy it. Partly because not everyday has the exact same dailies in some instances but also that they are relatively quick to do and you don't need a partner or team aside from the dragon killing.

Out in out this game is fun and the monetary aspect really is more of a convenience than a necessity.
  • mark6716mark6716 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The fact that they have an actual trading system for currency earned in the game being traded for currency that people buy is pretty **** awesome. If you are looking at spending 75.00 for a pack and not taking into consideration that you can make the money just from crafting/selling I would be able to see your point, but you don't have to spend a dime on this game to get anything you want from the Zen shop, end of story.

From OP:
    "If this company wasnt so greedy and made everything achievable in less than 5 years time and did charge so much for zen that you get so little with i wouldnt mind giving them my money. but Unless you sink hundred of $ into this game you get nothing but getting ripped off. $37 for a 110% mount $10 for a 24 slot bag. for F***K sake"

24,000 astral diamonds a day just from refining rough ones. Say you got around 6-8,000 just from a campfire, another 10-15k from running a couple of dungeons (recycling and drops) you have hit your limit. Say you play the game every other day for three hours a day to hit your refinement, here is your math:

182 (days) x 5 (years) x 24,000 AD (per day, minimal effort) = 21,840,000 Astral Diamonds earned on a single character, no professions, no real effort. Now lets say the trade in on that is 500 AD for a single Zen:

21,840,000 / 500 = 43,680 Zen at trade in values that are maxed.

43,680 (Zen) / 5 (years) = 8,736 (Zen per year just handed to you at max trade cap)

They give you anything you want from that store for free.

Oh, and by the way, trade in values right now are at like 120-140 AD per Zen, not 500.

500 (capped ad/zen conversion) / 130 (current ad/zen conversion) = 3.846 (multiplication factor you can use to blow these numbers up)

8,736 (Zen handed to you per year at cap) x 3.846 (current pricing) = 33,598 Zen.

33,500 Zen, anything from the store, for free.

33,500 Zen....for a couple of hours, every other day, playing a halfway decent and enjoyable game.

They give you every mount from the shop, all the bank and inventory space you need plus some extra goodies.

Cash grab?
  • masterwolf56masterwolf56 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I looked at it from the point of I'm buying a game that I will enjoy for hours upon hours. I did spend some money, but I've also made some in game currency selling items on the Auction House. For example, I didn't bind the rage mount I got. I put it on for auction for less then what others were selling it for. Someone bid on my rage mount for 1.8 million AD. I turned around and bought me a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> load of zen which I turned around and resold for a higher price. I bought character slots and all kinds of things. Each of my characters does the professions and the Invocations. When I had enough money, I bought 100$ worth of keys from what I earned. Sadly, I only got two Waters and a bunch of gems. Didn't get a Rage Mount but was fun seeing the spam from the lock boxes. Whatever character I play that day will also be farming AD on the dailies. Imagine how much you'd get over a period of a year or so. You would never need to buy Zen from the Marketplace again. Zen is surprisingly cheap on console. Yeah people can rush to 60 and stuff but a smart player will take their time and farm the dailies and reinvest.

When they change Rage Mounts to something else, the first few will be sold for a lot. As supply goes up, less people will spend the money to buy rare items. It's basically just economics.

Small investment to get such a huge advantage. It's definately worth the money.
  • mark6716mark6716 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OP almost sounds more like:

"I see this guy driving a brand new car around, no fair! I want one too! This is garbage, they need to lower prices on everything just so I can afford it, right now! I am not capable of meeting these demands! The car company gives me guaranteed access to a portion of this EXTREME pricetag every day, for free, but no...I want this now and it is not enough!"

24,000 (AD per day) / 150 (AD/zen conversion ratio) = 160 Zen per day handed to you

16 bank slots = 800 zen (can't remember actual price)
    Greater bag of holding, 24 slots = 1,000 zen

5 bags total = 5,000 zen
    48-64 bank slots = 2,400 - 3,200 Zen

8,200 Zen for more space than you need and they just give it to you in 3 months time playing a couple of hours a day, 6 months time every other day. The option is there for people who want it now or like the game but can't afford the time sink due to family/job constraints.

Shame on you.

First let me say I gave $50 to the game to get some keys and run my luck, I feel robbed.

Great way to start a rant about jacked up prices, complain about getting ripped off by lottery tickets.
  • latinlegendlatinlegend Member Posts: 43
    edited April 2015
    The game is not a cash grab but it does have a marketplace that is quite a bit more expensive than what can be found in other MMORPG's that have a F2P marketplace. As mentioned, you can grind AD daily until you have built enough to buy virtually everything in the marketplace that one would need. If you're patient enough that is as that can take time. As great as that is, I doubt it'll be enough to keep a majority of people interested in the game. Especially with TESO creeping up which is a vastly superior MMORPG in pretty much every way.
  • icecubepal88icecubepal88 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's a business. That's why they are doing this type F2P model. Games like WoW and Realm Reborn have a monthly subscription with access to everything. As long as they have enough players to maintain that, then they are good. Neverwinter can't go that route. They can't maintain enough players to have a monthly subscription. They won't make money. They will and are make money with their current approach. Have you heard of a game called Defiance? NW and D have the same model, but D is a lot more expensive. NW is somewhat reasonable, and they don't necessarily force you to pay. I recommend you One users trade in AD for Zen while the rates are cheap. AD is and will be a lot easier to get.
  • telprydaintelprydain Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gaanjaa81 wrote: »
    mounts, pets, fashion and all that stuff does not bother me at all....... paying for them wards to upgrade stuff though.... urggghhh, its horrid, i dont even think they are directly farmable ingame or craftable which makes it even worse.
    You can get them from coffers you buy with prayer coins that you get for invoking everyday.
    (have to farm AD, yet they put a limit on how much you can refine a day, again ... very annoying)

It's required. You're annoyed that you can't grind unlimited diamonds every day, but if we could refine unlimited amounts, those with Level 60 characters could soon have millions of diamonds in no time at all. If we had a glut of diamonds, the price of Zen in the exchange would skyrocket - since it's not just a set trade function - it's a real exchange, dealing with real people and responding to real market forces. You'd be at 500ad for 1z faster than you could blink, there'd be backlogs of people trying to buy Zen and you'd find it hard to get any Zen at all.
    Controlling the speed of diamonds coming into the economy is keeping the Zen price down for everyone.
    Casual Gamers
    Join us brothers and sisters and distant relations and confused onlookers.
    Join us in the shadows where we stand mostly vigilant... although slightly distracted by our inventories.
    "In war, unqualified. In peace, disorganised. In death, mild irritation."

JOIN US.
  • r3ppartr3ppart Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm just fiddling around in this game until the Witcher 3 comes out. I've never, ever spend a cent on a free to play game, and I'm not about to start. I'd go naked while every other player had awesome super epics. lol
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    This discussion is closed. Please see this post for more information on the business model of the game.

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
    [ RoC | ToS | Support ]
This discussion has been closed.