What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Module 6 is not for solo players

Comments

• Options
    davebickdavebick Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just started this game a few weeks ago.... I caught the double experience weekend and shot to level 60 wearing a handful of blues from level 40's or so, mostly greens in the 50's, and nothing purple.... Trying to do any of the new content was nearly impossible....

I kept doing the easy Minsc dailies (he kills everything for you....), doing any content that was near or just below my level (the Underdark stuff was perfect for level 60-63 or so...), and trying to pick up new 61+ greens from the AH.... now I'm flying through the new dailies at my level w/out much issue.....

It's definitely tough, but it's do-able if you're just patient and use your head to find the best gear you can on your own budget of time/effort/AD...
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    davebick wrote: »
    I just started this game a few weeks ago....
    [...]
    It's definitely tough, but it's do-able if you're just patient and use your head to find the best gear you can on your own budget of time/effort/AD...

Wait until you hit the campaigns, then report back... ...because this is when the real fun starts.

It's kind of a tradition in this game to make the basic leveling up of a new char fairly easy. Only then you'll have to tackle the gown-up stuff. And while we oldsters could do that with fairly cheap lower-end purple gear from the AH, you'll have to use blues.

And, to add some fun and challenge to your effort, don't you believe these are the blues the "Brah, don't you QQ"-league is using. Theirs are/have been from the Tyranny of Dragons campaign store, paid with a currency you'll have to sweat and toil to acquire, while during Mod 5 it's been more of a nuisance to gather it - and theirs are socketed with Rank 8, 9, 10 enchantments, Greater or Perfect or even Pure Armor and Weapon Enchantments, they already start out at Lvl 60 with a set of artifact weapons...

...still, kudos to you for persistence and tenacity!

Also, the basic recommendation of "When the going gets tough - team up!" stands and works well enough. But the soloists are somewhat getting pushed out of the game...
  • Options
    mjytreszmjytresz Member Posts: 500 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    we finally got what we were asking since like mod2 or 3 - challenging content, and ofc a bunch of lazy ppl want to ruin everything

on my pally i have done iwd quests, have done WoD prison solo dungeon, thats about all hardest parts of solo content, ok ppl who dont have gear might need to duo, but that is why u want to ruin game for everybody else ?

Hard Content:
    Hey guys, we need a balanced party in order to tackle this dungeon.

Mod 6 "Content":
    Our GF got 1-shotted through his block. Better bring a HR to bug the boss, maybe a DC for infinite AP too. Oh and we're gonna bug the boss because loldifficulty
    Broken mechanics, broken class designs, lack of actual content, and over zealous, bronze-age moderation?

Go Cryptic!
    PS - I quit.
  • Options
    baronstragenbaronstragen Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Mod 6 "Content":
    Our GF got 1-shotted through his block. Better bring a HR to bug the boss, maybe a DC for infinite AP too. Oh and we're gonna bug the boss because loldifficulty[/QUOTE]

^^This.

I would like to think that I don't need to use bugs to finish a dungeon. The 3 man dungeons are impossibly easy. The T1 and T2 dungeons are impossibly hard. Not much for middle ground.
    Varric the Cursed Dwarven cursed to be Tiefling CW
    Original Serenity Mostly Retired DC
    Tokarek Bearded Dwarven OP Tankadin
    JuiceHead Goofy Human GWF
    Member of H3llzWarriors and Limitless.
  • Options
    xgrandz02xgrandz02 Member Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Its Calls -> Massiv Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game "

So,. if you want to play solo?
    you have to looking for single-player game like the old-school ones or play a non Online-Game on consoles etc.
    <::::::[]==0 GwF 0==[]::::::> ● Still waiting for the promised Improvement ●
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    xgrandz02 wrote: »

you have to looking for single-player game like the old-school ones or play a non Online-Game on consoles etc.
    Wrong. The game is advertised as solo friendly, and it reminds you on the log-in screen that content outside of skirmishes and dungeons is capable of being soloed with a companion only. If you look at all modern MMOs they have content designed for solo play because a lot of people don't have the time or inclination to group up.

If Cryptic have decided to eliminate solo play that's their choice, but they're missing out on a significant player base and they need to change the way they advertise the game.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So far, everything in the new areas has not been hard to solo with my main character.

As a casual player, I have yet to reach level 70, so I have not yet entered Shar, DR, or IWD again. I may change my mind later after I experience those areas at level 70. :)
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    irapeya wrote: »
    In what MMORPG where you able to farm max level elite creeps alone ?

In many of them. In Neverwinter, pre-Mod-6, the Sharandar and Dread Ring campaigns were designed and balanced for solo play, and were added primarily to offer a solo/casual-friendly end game progression. If one already had max gear from other group sources such as dungeons, sure you found them too easy. But the people they were designed for found them challenging and fun. They now more or less require groups, which is counter to their original intended design. They broke them.
  • Options
    b100d31fb100d31f Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    xgrandz02 wrote: »

MMORPG, just mean its massively multiplayer online role-playing game. That does not mean teamwork style play only.... I hate it when ppl use that as an argument. It just means that massive amounts of ppl can play online in an rpg, that does not mean they all are to team up.

In a counter argument, how many of you actually take the "role-playing" aspect of the game seriously?
  • Options
    bruceiferbruceifer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Before mod 6 the game was not challenging to the top end group of players who had epic lev 60 gear filled with lev 10 enchants. They could solo anything and screamed for more challenge. I suppose just saving a set of blue gear with lev 5 enchants and trying to solo the content with it for a sporting challenge was beyond their comprehension. If you were overpowered in the game before it was because you choose to be.

Now the mobs have more hp, they hit extremely harder and the in combat healing enchants have been completely nerfed. The lev 70 areas are now challenging to players who have the best gear. Unfortunately they are horribly frustrating to the majority of players who don't.

If you are deciding on what difficulty a game should have it is always better to err on the side of making too easy vice too hard. If the players don't find it challenging they can always adjust their gear to make it so. Just because you own the +20 vorpal sword of god smacking doesn't mean you have to bring it with you to the Dread Ring. On the other hand if people have leveled their toons to 70 and equipped them with the new blue and green gear given on the elemental leveling quests, only to find Sharandar, The Dread ring, and the Well of Dragons to be suicidally hard then they simply stop playing and give up in frustration.
  • Options
    magnusolammagnusolam Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 82
    edited April 2015
    bruceifer wrote: »
    Before mod 6 the game was not challenging to the top end group of players who had epic lev 60 gear filled with lev 10 enchants. They could solo anything and screamed for more challenge. I suppose just saving a set of blue gear with lev 5 enchants and trying to solo the content with it for a sporting challenge was beyond their comprehension. If you were overpowered in the game before it was because you choose to be.

This is true and remains so.

As I said earlier, a way out of this mess is to implement difficulty levels so that those who want to play a challenging game can go off and play with themselves in hard instances, and those who just want to have a bit of fun can do so without getting in the way of the elitists.

This should be relatively easy to implement either by boosting player characters or nerfing NPCs in easier instances. Allow for say three to five difficulties and any player can choose which to play depending on character gear level or just how they feel that day.
  • Options
    walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "daily content can be completed solo with a companion, dungeons require full parties"

that's from one of the loading screens.

/thread
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited April 2015

whats the point of spending tens if not hundreds of hours earning that gear if theres no point using it

"weeeeeeeee i want everything now and freee and witout any eefoort *snif* weeeeeeee "

somebody call the whambulance already

it is possible to do all quest content solo without even close to having BiS gear.
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    whats the point of spending tens if not hundreds of hours earning that gear if theres no point using it

Why use it if it stops the game from being the challenge you profess to enjoy? The only reason to get the gear is to make the game easier, if using it means the game is no longer enjoyable, stop using it.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Daily campaign quests should be able to be completed by solo characters with a companion, both in lvl 70 blue gear and rank 6 enchants.

There is a large portion of the game population who do not run dungeons or go out of their way to grind refinement points, but just hop on for an hour or two to run some dailies and enjoy the gameplay of an action D&D MMO. I don't think Cryptic would want to lose their patronage, but the increased difficulty in the campaign areas is setting up that situation.

Personally, I think IWD and WoD mobs need to be lvl 72 at most. There is too steep a difficulty differential at +3.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

"weeeeeeeee i want everything now and freee and witout any eefoort *snif* weeeeeeee "

somebody call the whambulance already

The point would be to have the best gear you can get to do the top tier dungeons, and PVP against other top end players. Not to use in daily campaign quests and then cry that the content isn't challenging enough. The content in Sharandar, Dread Ring, and Well of Dragons WAS challenging for many who were not in the elite top end.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I solo'd CN up to the first boss back in module 2 with a 12.5k GS wizard. You don't know what you're talking about. Soloing wasn't about gear, it was all about using broken game mechanics such as lifesteal, control, too many immunity frames, and not getting hit by npcs not doing enough damage anyway. Now that lifesteal is gone and now that npcs are a real threat the game is in a much better state.

Also it seems you don't understand how MMOs work. It's all about getting better gear, ie improving your character. Telling someone to strip gear to get a challenge is downright rude and stupid. It's negating what the core of the game is about - progression and skill.

But just so that you know how easy was the game, in mod 3-4, I was doing naked CN runs (ie: no gear at all but a mainhand) with some friends. That tells a lot about the lack of challenge prior to module 6.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    I solo'd CN up to the first boss back in module 2 with a 12.5k GS wizard. You don't know what you're talking about. Soloing wasn't about gear, it was all about using broken game mechanics such as lifesteal, control, too many immunity frames, and not getting hit by npcs not doing enough damage anyway. Now that lifesteal is gone and now that npcs are a real threat the game is in a much better state.

Also it seems you don't understand how MMOs work. It's all about getting better gear, ie improving your character. Telling someone to strip gear to get a challenge is downright rude and stupid. It's negating what the core of the game is about - progression and skill.

But just so that you know how easy was the game, in mod 3-4, I was doing naked CN runs (ie: no gear at all but a mainhand) with some friends. That tells a lot about the lack of challenge prior to module 6.

The problem with it being all about new gear is that once reaching 60 the daily campaign quests were challenging yet quite doable to those who had non epic gear, the drops gave you gear that allowed you to do T1 dungeons, they drop gear to make T2 dungeons doable. However the T2 dungeons dropped even higher stuff, and then the player has nothing to challenge him, so he screams to up the difficulty for everyone.

No one wants the entire game to be easy. The upper most levels should be a difficult challenge to the best players in the best gear. But they should NOT drop even more godly gear, the reward at the end should be something other than gear so as to keep the T2 dungeons challenging . Reward with ADs, or special companions, whatever, I'm sure they can come up with something.

The key is that a player completing the new elemental areas should be able to solo the dailies in the campaigns with the gear he earned in said leveling. That should then allow him to get gear for dungeons (for which we all know are not supposed to be soloable).

Taking the top tier gear and using it in lower campaign areas and complaining it's too easy is not how it is designed to work. In no MMO is it challenging to take your top level epically geared toon backward unless you purposely down grade your gear just to make it so.

If you want a cookie for being able to run campaigns naked before fine you deserve one, but myself, my wife and the people I play with all found Jawbone, Celadain, and such to be quite a challenge two weeks ago. Having made 70 with the gear we have just picked up on the path there, it is now ridiculously frustrating
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you want a cookie for being able to run campaigns naked before fine you deserve one, but myself, my wife and the people I play with all found Jawbone, Celadain, and such to be quite a challenge two weeks ago. Having made 70 with the gear we have just picked up on the path there, it is now ridiculously frustrating

That's only because the devs want to give everyone incentives to play a larger variety of content. Before mod 6, people would skip skirmishes and dungeons entirely, which means half of the content was wasted somehow. Now you have to do levelling dungeons when you reach lvl 70 and then T1 skirmishes or dungeons, get some gear, and you can go back to your campaign.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    No one wants the entire game to be easy. The upper most levels should be a difficult challenge to the best players in the best gear. But they should NOT drop even more godly gear, the reward at the end should be something other than gear so as to keep the T2 dungeons challenging . Reward with ADs, or special companions, whatever, I'm sure they can come up with something.

and there IS easy stuff - dread ring, ToD campaign, sharandar campaign, 3man dungeons. plenty of place s to get better gear, once you do that u can go iwd, wod, t1, skirmishes

one important feature of games is for ppl to improve themselves not only their gear, and best way to improve is to do challenging content.
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    and there IS easy stuff - dread ring, ToD campaign, sharandar campaign, 3man dungeons. plenty of place s to get better gear, once you do that u can go iwd, wod, t1, skirmishes

one important feature of games is for ppl to improve themselves not only their gear, and best way to improve is to do challenging content.

But the major feature of any game is for players to get fun out of it. From a lot of the posts on here, Mod 6 is simply not providing that.

I completed Sharandar, Dread Ring etc, picking up some lvl 60 items on the way, and quite frankly was glad to think I wouldn't have to go back. Been there done that. Same for the ToD campaign, running tiamat over 100 times to get the linu for the boons and artifact gear.

Was looking forward to a new Mod that would hopefully follow previous expansions, and you know - expand, into a new higher level end zone with new dungeons/instances.

But to be faced with having to be in areas that I'd already been in more times than I could remember is, quite frankly, utterly demotivating toward the game.
    I simply do not know what came into the minds of the developers to come along with this regurgitated rubbish.

The ruination of the game.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    diogene0 wrote: »
    That's only because the devs want to give everyone incentives to play a larger variety of content. Before mod 6, people would skip skirmishes and dungeons entirely, which means half of the content was wasted somehow. Now you have to do levelling dungeons when you reach lvl 70 and then T1 skirmishes or dungeons, get some gear, and you can go back to your campaign.

Thus you are in agreement with the thread's concept that the new mod has made the game unsoloable. Though instead of those of us who feel this is a horrible error, you believe it is by intent and a good thing. While I don't mind doing an occasional skirmish or dungeon when my mates and I are all off work and have time to be on together, that is not as often as we would like. After work and dinner, and all the family stuff that needs attention I enjoyed logging on for a an hour or two before bed for a little escapism and some stress relieving kicking of evil butt; that was more often than not solo. Now in order to be able to play at any of the campaigns of my new level (70) you are saying I will be forced to group and get gear from dungeons. I do not view this as a good thing at all.

IMO the only thing that was needed was a challenging area for the top tier players designed in such away that it did not drop rewards that then made said top area no longer a challenge. There is and was no need to make any part of the regular non dungeon content unsoloable, or to mess with areas that people were finding fun and enjoyable. If you have a group you like to run with and can than the dungeons are great if you don't then there was still stuff you could do, now that is not the case
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Thus you are in agreement with the thread's concept that the new mod has made the game unsoloable.

ehm dungeons and stuff wasnt ever meant to be soloable, its just that they failed to increase difficulty for 5 mods in a row, now when difficulty is back to where it should be u cry

everything thats meant to be soloable IS soloable, if you cant you are plain bad at this game and should start improving instead of flooding the forum with virtual tears.

i would offer to solo any part of this uber hard, impossible to solo content for you, but i have already done solo all the "hard" quests and did it using reasonable gear(rank7s that cost like 50k a piece, lvl 65~70 greens and blue artifact weapon/oh)
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    ehm dungeons and stuff wasnt ever meant to be soloable, its just that they failed to increase difficulty for 5 mods in a row, now when difficulty is back to where it should be u cry

everything thats meant to be soloable IS soloable, if you cant you are plain bad at this game and should start improving instead of flooding the forum with virtual tears.

First; despite disagreeing I have never insulted you so that is childish.

Secondly I am not the original poster, there are 9 pages here and many others who feel as I do. Thus you are saying we are all bad at the game. We got to the top level twice at least but we all are horrid players and need to stop voicing our opinion as it disagrees with yours and you sir, are the only voice that matters

There a thousands of players, at different skill levels, different gear levels and different playing styles. If a large segment of that population is upset and no longer enjoying the game as much it poses a serious probability of a loss of revenue. Thus it would be great if we could find a way to keep as many people happy and spending as possible. That would contain content at a suitable difficulty level for everyone in various areas, which should suit you and the other uber players fine; as you will have your challenging realms.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Secondly I am not the original poster, there are 9 pages here and many others who feel as I do. Thus you are saying we are all bad at the game. We got to the top level twice at least but we all are horrid players and need to stop voicing our opinion as it disagrees with yours and you sir, are the only voice that matters

There a thousands of players, at different skill levels, different gear levels and different playing styles. If a large segment of that population is upset and no longer enjoying the game as much it poses a serious probability of a loss of revenue. Thus it would be great if we could find a way to keep as many people happy and spending as possible. That would contain content at a suitable difficulty level for everyone in various areas, which should suit you and the other uber players fine; as you will have your challenging realms.

being bad at something is not an insult its just an observation using available information, and something you should work to improve

and and yes, from what i have observed playing this game since launch most ppl are bad, but some ppl cry for content to be nerfed while others try to improve themselves

its much more rewarding to beat 1 hard dungeon in 2+ hours than running 10 pathetic dungeon runs, like the old ToS, i think we got it under 10 min for a full clear with guild, and we dont have any BiS ppl, mostly epic artifacts/equips and rank8's just playing for fun, to compare that to really good players like a certain warlock stalking these forums - in a LoL he could double my GWF's dmg, so with ppl like that it would be even faster
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    mifiisumifiisu Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    edited April 2015

You are running into a brick wall with these kinds of replies
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Giving players a choice of difficulty level allows for all of the above and, frankly, if people want to solo dungeons what's the problem? Anyone who has a problem with how another player chooses to play the game (assuming they aren't actively causing other players grief) is clearly an idiot and probably shouldn't be anywhere near an MMORPG.