test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If you're going to get injuries from traps...

polymemepolymeme Member Posts: 87 Arc User
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Shouldn't we be getting more injury kits as we adventure?
I opened my adventurer's reward box and got 5 kits. That was fine in mod 5, but now when any trap can halve my move speed, I need more. I don't buy any pots or kits, and I've got TONS of pots on me, but right now my paladin is in a barrow in ebon downs with no kits and hurt legs.
Not getting enough kits is fine for somebody who plays a lot and knows better. I buy stacks of pots and kits off the AH for my toons. This toon tho, I haven't done that because the kind of kit and pot I need keeps changing.

This is NOT casual-friendly, and it's not newbie friendly. A new player starts playing, steps on traps a lot, runs out of kits, spends all their gold on kits, never has that magical 5 gold to buy a horse and ends up quitting in frustration. I know the devs don't want this, and I don't want this. I like this game, and I don't want to see players running away.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They went overboard with this. It should have been changed to a chance at getting an injury, not an automatic injury. I don't believe healing kits ever dropped before, but the price for them is a bit high considering how many one needs to use these days.
  • unholydragonkingunholydragonking Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Take a Rogue or learn to look for traps. I for one welcome the change to the trap mechanics and think this is a good way of giving them some more bite, where as before they were just the equivalent of a fly trying to attack a Elephant.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ... don't step on traps?

Seriously, learn the tell-tale signs for traps and avoid them.

The only place this will really be a problem is one of the lairs in Icespire where there's traps all over the floor, and you have to run around to avoid red circles from the boss.
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No need for injury kits if you have the Lathander's set too. But not good that the artifact is not the easiest to acquire.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Traps are not hard to spot. They still in the same spot in dungeons as before, with a few extra. If ya step on one, you deserved it. :eek:
  • blamecharlesblamecharles Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I dont mind the injuries, but shouldnt my teleport make me miss these? I mean if i can go from one place to the other through the nexus or whatever it may be called shouldnt that mean i miss the trap???
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The problem is this dumb mechanic penalizes new players FAR more than it penalizes older players.

Just as others pointed out, older players know what to look for, already know where the traps are, have more than enough gold and foresight to stock up on injury kits. New players just get boned.

And as far as the "bring a rogue" argument goes...yeah...good one. Because everyone knows there's at least 1 rogue character for EVERY OTHER CHARACTER...And that's ignoring the fact that solo content should be easily soloable for EVERY class.

Should traps have teeth? Of course, and at very low level, they actually already did. The problem was they didn't scale, in the case of foundry they didn't scale at all, and in most Cryptic made instances they scaled poorly and didn't factor in gear at all. So the result was that a new level 7 character hitting a spike trap while in combat could spell certain death, while a level 60 running an EPIC dungeon would hop and skip their way through a full set of poison dart traps while kiting mobs, just for fun. That should have been fixed FIRST, as well as other problems, then they could try adding new mechanics.

Preferably mechanics that add to the game rather than turning it into a clickfest, either clicking injury kits or sitting there waiting for a rogue to click the trap.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • soditalloversoditallover Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    spot the signs ok ill keep that in mind while i lag-out and auto run into one or the ones you cant see or ones under water or inside the floor/rock.
  • bumfluffbobbumfluffbob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They went overboard with this. It should have been changed to a chance at getting an injury, not an automatic injury.

It is a chance! It is with me. I get injured roughly every third trap. I'm sure I don't get injured with every one.

See what you've done now. I'm gonna have to deliberately step on traps just to make sure.
  • soditalloversoditallover Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    you know what they say in science you cant say its true the next time just it was true that time
  • polymemepolymeme Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A lot of you are missing the point. *I* know the signs, I have 9 toons, but I still trigger traps once in a while. I don't mind getting injuries from traps. It's irritating but it makes sense. A new player hasn't learned all the places traps lay and how to see them. And you shouldn't expect somebody to party up with a TR to disarm all traps while leveling. You're meant to solo most of the leveling content. These new players, these are people who don't know the AH has tons of cheap kits and pots, and horses for that matter. These are players who don't know all the tricks and who struggle until level 25 or even 30 to get a horse, and who step on EVERY trap. Make them drop from mobs, or give us more as we level. That's all I'm asking.
    edited April 2015
    I'm pretty sure that the first time you step on a trap you get a popup message and a voice-over from Sgt. Knox explaining traps and injury kits. And the lower level lairs have way more traps than higher levels, because they are trying to teach new players what they should avoid.

In particular, "The Dead Rats", "Nest Egg" and the sewer part of "Spellburst" have many varied traps.
  • lordrhavinlordrhavin Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I dont know why everything has to be so coarse. Just have injury levels on all zones (gotten from crits, traps and very hard blows) from 0%-100%, where:

0%-25% heals naturally even while walking
    26%-50% heals naturally at camp with 0.5%/sec on all zones.
    51%-80% heals naturally at camp with 0.1%/sec on all zones.
    81%-99% Needs injury kit. Increases(!) by 0.1%/sec on all zones while not camping.
    100% Needs special Healer in PE or some other main area.

Adjust malus on characters values appropiate for percentage value. Allow potions that reduce timings, potions that stop further degeneration and potions that heal everything under 50%.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Buy a truckload of injury kits the next time you're at *ANY* vendor that sells pots.
    Then put pots in first belt slot (4 key) and kits into second slot (5 key). Just food for thought.

People keep complaining that "gold is worthless; nothing to buy with it". Well, now there's something to buy with it (and why on earth would to buy injury kits off the AH, other than you have zero gold?)
  • cybercyanidecybercyanide Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 66
    edited April 2015
    I'm pretty sure that the first time you step on a trap you get a popup message and a voice-over from Sgt. Knox explaining traps and injury kits. And the lower level lairs have way more traps than higher levels, because they are trying to teach new players what they should avoid.

In particular, "The Dead Rats", "Nest Egg" and the sewer part of "Spellburst" have many varied traps.

^^ Exactly this.
    We know what to look for because we played and learned that for ourselves. The same can be said about everything else in the game...we know/have it because we have played the game.
    Take a deep breath, look, and learn.
  • theastromachinetheastromachine Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Traps really aren't that well hidden, you can always see the pressure plates or holes where they come from.

I like the increased threat caused by traps, they encourage new players to actually take their time in dungeons keeping an eye out for traps (like you would in real DnD). In fact, right now I'd say they are hurting players who have been around for a lot longer, because we have to break the habit of just running through everything like they don't matter. I've stepped on so many since the change that I even knew about, just because it was habit to not really care about them.

That being said, I think it would be nice to be able to make them from the alchemy profession, since you can make pretty much anything else. Maybe including one that protects you from injury for X amount of time.
  • theastromachinetheastromachine Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I'm pretty sure the first one you pass, in the rat sewers, is pointed out to you even if you don't step on it. I can't remember what it actually says though.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,374 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is this even a "problem" worth mentioning? When I was a newbie, I got killed. Then, I learned I could wait for 3 minutes in the camp fire to heal the injury or to use the injury kit to heal right the way. Soon, I learned it is pain of the back end to wait for 3 minutes. Well, I just stock up injury kits from the vendor using copper. There is not much of difference between injured by trap (now) and be killed (except you can wait for 3 minutes at the camp fire).

As a beginner, you learn and find a way to deal with an issue. They do not know trap did not give body injury before in the game or if they care what it was in the past. They consider it is part of the game and will find a way to deal with it.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Trap.jpg

There's something wrong with many of you!

Everyone can see the trap,
    Some yell, "Trap",
    Yet, some of you can't resist the trap!!!

The same with Mimics!!! :eek:
  • s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    polymeme wrote: »
    Shouldn't we be getting more injury kits as we adventure?
    I opened my adventurer's reward box and got 5 kits. That was fine in mod 5, but now when any trap can halve my move speed, I need more. I don't buy any pots or kits, and I've got TONS of pots on me, but right now my paladin is in a barrow in ebon downs with no kits and hurt legs.
    Not getting enough kits is fine for somebody who plays a lot and knows better. I buy stacks of pots and kits off the AH for my toons. This toon tho, I haven't done that because the kind of kit and pot I need keeps changing.

This is NOT casual-friendly, and it's not newbie friendly. A new player starts playing, steps on traps a lot, runs out of kits, spends all their gold on kits, never has that magical 5 gold to buy a horse and ends up quitting in frustration. I know the devs don't want this, and I don't want this. I like this game, and I don't want to see players running away.

Plenty of us have started new paladins and didnt run into any trouble from traps. at 70 you get so much gold drop now Injury kits are a worry of the past.
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • polymemepolymeme Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just as an aside, I think Knox still informs you that "your death caused an injury" the first time you step on a trap.
    I just feel like the 'traps cause injury' mechanic needs work. More ways to protect from injury, shorter heal times, more kits - Some way to make it suck less.
    And for the record, I walk right past traps all the time and don't see them until I trigger them or am past them. Saw one yesterday, a spike trap, underwater. Didn't see it the first time and got lucky and walked around it.
    And I did some testing with my pally. Stepped on an arrow trap, then back over it multiple times. Nearly killed myself, and I only ever got the one minor injury. So that's good.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    No need for injury kits if you have portable altars. They heal wounds as well, provided you're not in combat.

This is not correct.
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, the new mechanism with altars is they clear rez sickness.
  • flambridgeflambridge Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That being said, I think it would be nice to be able to make them from the alchemy profession, since you can make pretty much anything else. Maybe including one that protects you from injury for X amount of time.

Alchemy no.
    However does all sense clerics managed "make kits" like a "special skill" (rogues "detect traps" and clerics "make kits").
    But, Alchemy could make a pot "X minutes prevent injuries".
  • fenchimpfenchimp Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My problem with the traps is that I play GF as my main. Now, it's been made abundantly clear to me that NOBODY cares about GF anymore, even more so since this latest mod, but with enemy pathing always trying to flank and get behind you, as a GF you're almost always walking BACKWARDS to gain a strategic advantage over the enemy. This means you're walking blind. If you arent walking blind, then a massive hoard of mobs, particles, and other graphics is obstructing your vision (Fun fact! Mobs can trigger traps too). Guardian fighters are slow enough that they shouldn't have to worry about their legs buckling down underneath them because of a spike trap, and strong enough they shouldn't have to worry about getting their sternum crippled by a jet of steam. I'd greatly appreciate something as suggested; medkits dropping, or fading injuries. There's already enough of a lack of GFs because of the tumult of bugs plaguing them, we don't need to be sonhard on potential new ones.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    For two years D&D players have been complaining traps aren't important enough. The damage is absolutely pitiful and they have incredibly small and easy to avoid triggers boxes which are also entirely visible to every person.

As much as I hated the instant death traps which made dungeons without a rogue impossible in DDO we have really wanted and needed traps to have significance. I don't think this quite does it but at least we have a reason to actively avoid them now instead of having the worst aspect of traps be a couple seconds root.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kalindra wrote: »
    This is IMHO the only positive change in Mod 6.
    You don't need kits, you need a TR in your party.
    FINALLY traps are noticable and TRs have a sensible, classic role in a party, instead of being a simple assassin.

Err, this would be a very bad reason for making traps more powerful.

As most non-1% groups would preferably want a GF/OP and a DC in a group already, having to have a TR as well would leave 2 slots for all the other classes. Great for TRs of course, but an awful situation for the remaining non-CW classes......
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As almost all the traps are circumventable with minimal intellectual challenge I deem this a change to the "more challenging".