test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Companion for Paladin

exard3kexard3k Member Posts: 19 Arc User
edited April 2015 in The Citadel
So two weeks left for new module. I'm planning to roll a protection paladin and wondering which (type of) companion you would recommend for leveling and lvl 70 business.

With my GF I experienced low damage and long fights when leveling and doing dailies and I fear this will be the same with the paladin. Astral Deva comes in mind...or Angel of Protection for healing.

your thoughts?
Post edited by exard3k on

Comments

• almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Heya,

I will roll a healing Paladin.

But if you want to purely tank and withstand alot of damage, I would go for the Angel of Protection. It has very powerful abilities that heal you and reduce the damage you take.
    If your party will let you do your job, you will constantly take damage, and the Angel will heal you 2 in 2 seconds for 6% of your HP.

Those small cd heals will allow Bonding Runestone to proc alot of times, you will have 3 stacks active many times, which means that during combat you will have an active combat companion and an active augumentation companion.

There are other alternatives, but for the tank, the Angel will excel, as she posseses a special ability that reduces all damage taken by 50% for 10 seconds once each 50 seconds.
    Also there is another ability that's always active while she is summoned, it reduces the damage taken by 5%.

Have fun,
    Almondum.
  • bori08bori08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So with that new paladin coming soon, what companion will be more beneficial for the tanking version of it?
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This thread in the Temple (DC / Pally class forum) doesn't elicit enthused comments so far, either...
  • jaegernljaegernl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Even with the new stat curves in mod 6 when going from 60-70, I'd wager an Augment will be the best choice. (Normal, non-augment) Companions right now die too easily, have ******ed AI (Hi, Red Circle, I shall stand inside of you!) and draw agro of mobs you could've avoided.
    Isaac the Adequate - Level 70 Oath of Protection Paladin
    Aurelius the Awkward - Level 70 Pathfinder Ranger
    We have looked into reports of players experiencing connection problems and have been unable to identify any server, data center, or client-side issues. We believe this may be ISP related.
    edited March 2015
    Actually, the test server forum currently deems reactivating non-augment companions as one of the better ways to climb the steep difficulty cliff we get when reaching level 70.

Why? Companions massively profit from their level boost, they resurrect themselves 10 seconds after going doggie style in combat (some sources say this'll work for all, some that might work only for legendaries), and, yeah, draw some aggro away from you. Whether this is alwayys desireable or not is a different topic. But basically their survivability gets buffed quite a bit.

Furthermore there are companions that stand back before you initiate the fight, but rush in and aggro mobs once you start it. That won't stop them from getting stuck on corners and in dungeons every now and then, but this probably isn't soooo relevant with Mod 6, as the time of pulling half the dungeon to the big slaughter fields in front of the boss door probably are over for a while...

On topic:

For leveling I'll first take the Sylph (50% CC resist. No other way...).

Next one of the numerous Frost Mimics from the Simril trader as a first try... ...nicely aggressive, decent damage, already now fairly robust, will be even more so with a Healadin, and heck, why not? But this can probably be exchanged by any other melee Striker or Defender that doesn't cap out at Lvl 20...

Third one will be the Priestess of Sehanine Moonbow - -30% crit chance for the reds and +15% for me is plainly a wiin-win-situation.

Number four then will be the Guardian Angel. But then I have some LS mules that can just buy it with invoke coins, and it's BoE...

Number five on my list is an augment, finally... ...not sure which one, gotta get the feel for the Pal's needs first.

Sylph and Priestess of Sehanine Moonbow are Pay companions, but as they are from Packs, they are unlocked accouunt-wide. So those don't cost me any money or AD - apart from that augment pet.
  • bori08bori08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Acolyte of Kalemvor seem like a good companion too for a tank paladin. what you guys think.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, I just leveled a Paldin from 1-70 (just dinged 70 tonight) and I had only two companions to roll with. Ioun stone of Might and the angel. The Ioun stone was pretty uber as I never had any down time after each battle since the stamina ticks were incredible. during heavy mobs I used the angel which made soloing against hard hitting mobs less trivial. I have not found, as of yet, any other companion needed outside those two while leveling up.
    I went Bulwark also (tanking line).

Ioun of Might was far superior, to be honest.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
    edited March 2015
    gomok72 wrote: »
    Well, I just leveled a Paldin from 1-70 (just dinged 70 tonight)[...]

1000 TarmaBars... ...that's - optimistically guessed - what? 100 Lockboxes? So, ca. 10k ZEN?

Not sure if you want to give meaningful advice or brag about how affluent you are...
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    1000 TarmaBars... ...that's - optimistically guessed - what? 100 Lockboxes? So, ca. 10k ZEN?

Not sure if you want to give meaningful advice or brag about how affluent you are...
    I gave meaningful advice but if your too busy contemplating on how poor you are to take it, then that's on you. Oh, by the way, I didn't open one lock box to get the Ioun stone of might, so again, stop assuming.

Augments are superior in group, solo you might want to have a "healing companion", if you have a full set of the hit point gear from mod 6 quest lines (Bare minimum.).
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
    edited March 2015
    Lets keep this in a peace environment, so as i was saying i will probably buy the acolyte and use it since honestly i don't have or will have the 365 stones for the angel of protection as a new player my alt is lvl 33. and the only 60 i had was a GF that i delete when they became obsolete and i quited because of that. most groups where CW and a rogue. so i gonna give it a go again and see how it goes with the acolyte. and the ioun stone when i get what i need for it i will get it eventually ehehe.
    edited March 2015
    gomok72 wrote: »
    I gave meaningful advice but if your too busy contemplating on how poor you are to take it, then that's on you. Oh, by the way, I didn't open one lock box to get the Ioun stone of might, so again, stop assuming.

Augments are superior in group, solo you might want to have a "healing companion", if you have a full set of the hit point gear from mod 6 quest lines (Bare minimum.).

...so you're probably one of the mailing gift recipients. Sweet for you. Or one of your friends was and gave plenty of them to you and some of your mules still have theirs unequipped...

I didn't get that even though I'd been in the game since November '13 and had bought some ZEN before that :^(

So, looking at the OP's join date, he might or might not have access to those. However other playeers might look in, which is why I put up the current price...
  • almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, I just leveled a Paldin from 1-70 (just dinged 70 tonight) and I had only two companions to roll with. Ioun stone of Might and the angel. The Ioun stone was pretty uber as I never had any down time after each battle since the stamina ticks were incredible. during heavy mobs I used the angel which made soloing against hard hitting mobs less trivial. I have not found, as of yet, any other companion needed outside those two while leveling up.
    I went Bulwark also (tanking line).

I use both, I only need Ioun of Might for the 5% stamina...it's always active as long as the stone is in some slot.
    Angel is my summoned companion, keeps healing me and giving that awesome passive shield and the active shield when I get nucked.
  • mrcharlytoomrcharlytoo Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OK, for the f2p players starting out - best companion? Healer, dog or man at arms? Maybe wizard for distance dd?
  • drakeos99drakeos99 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Healer all the way :)
    Drakeos Lightblade - Human - Oathbound Paladin (Protection) (MAIN)
    Drakeos Shadowbow - 60 Combat Pathfinder Hunter Ranger (Alt/retired)
    Falados - Drow (Mez) Level 60 Trickster Rogue - Offically retired
    Drakeos - Drow (Mez) Scourge Warlock/Druid (retired)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    OK, for the f2p players starting out - best companion? Healer, dog or man at arms? Maybe wizard for distance dd?

I use a healer on every class other than a DC.

If you are playing a Prot Paladin then a healer would probably be the best bet I assume. If a Heal paladin then my initial thought would be the man-at-arms which I think has an aggro ability.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I use a healer on every class other than a DC.

If you are playing a Prot Paladin then a healer would probably be the best bet I assume. If a Heal paladin then my initial thought would be the man-at-arms which I think has an aggro ability.

If not a healer then DOG FTW. Dog has Armor Penetration active slot stat (which you'll *need* in levels 60-70) and Interrupt/knockdown attacks. And also because DOG! C'mon! How can you NOT!? Mine in named Fifi.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bori08 wrote: »
    honestly i don't have or will have the 365 stones for the angel of protection as a new player

Angels of Protection are BoE and therefore pretty cheap on the AH for an epic companion.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • arthodaxisarthodaxis Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Speaking of companions, What are devotion paladins finding to work out best from Augment or active bonuses?
    edited April 2015
    arthodaxis wrote: »
    Speaking of companions, What are devotion paladins finding to work out best from Augment or active bonuses?

Freebie Dog and Freebie (promotion) GWF Dwarf (I forget her name) both give Armor Penetration and Recovery. That and I'm plopping Red Enchants (Armor Penetration) into my gear where I have slots - I've decided to focus on ArmorPen at my beginning levels and I'll start concentrating on HP later on (50's-sh).

So far for not having any DPS I'm tearing them apart, feels nice and strong and I don't feel like I have lackluster DPS (at this point) but I am only in my 20's so far. My summoned companion is a healer but haven't needed much healing as of yet (and haven't taken a single potion yet, either) - but I know that will all change as I level up so I am using the leveling opportunity to get some companion XP to rank it up.

This is my own recipe, others will have different ones I'm sure.
    edited April 2015
    So im in the proces of wrapping up the amount i need for the angel of protection, what set him apart from the acolyte of kalemvor?
  • areeeareee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since this is about companions I'll ask my question here. Will the auras that Paladins, I have read about, use be effective on the pets or just players alone?
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bori08 wrote: »
    So im in the proces of wrapping up the amount i need for the angel of protection, what set him apart from the acolyte of kalemvor?

The Acolyte doesn't actually heal you until she reaches rank 30, and that was reportedly bugged and I don't know if it's been fixed.

The Angel is an actual healing companion right out of the box.

The Angel also has a more universally useful active bonus.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited April 2015
    areee wrote: »
    Since this is about companions I'll ask my question here. Will the auras that Paladins, I have read about, use be effective on the pets or just players alone?

Yes.
    I posted detail on your original thread.
  • securussecurus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I find the best options are the dps pets, once you reach level 30 your hp will not even drop from most regular content. The healing pet is pretty much useless for most paladins I think.

The thing is your dps starts to drop off at the same point where other classes tend to pick up dps. This is mostly due to the fact that we get very little damage feats, its pretty much all support based. That said I am pretty much untouchable, I heal probably 3 times faster than I take damage, I can even pull 4 or 5 groups and just melee them all down or wait on encounter cooldowns if I want. In fact that is what I have been doing, just pulling 3 or 4 groups of mobs and using encounters, I have yet to face anything that could be called dangerous, even dungeons would be easily soloed they just take forever due to doing low dps. Granted this is as a healing paladin, tank paladin might be different but from what I have heard they are just as beefy at 30.