test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Companions free levels, how?

ratjamratjam Member Posts: 93 Arc User
Hello can anybody please explain how does it work? I still have a couple of companions at level 25, do they have to be at level 30 to get those 5 free levels, or they get 5 levels anyway but they will stop leveling at 30 and will never reach 35 unless i upgrade them? Thanks.
Post edited by ratjam on

Comments

• Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Each rank has it's level cap increased by 5. You still need to level them up. They will still stay in their current bracket, such as white, green, blue, purple and now orange.

In other words, your green companion used to cap out at 20 and will now be able to reach level 25 but still stay green. If you want to upgrade it's rank, you still have to pay AD.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sounds good, I was afraid they had to be max level to get the free bonus but seems like it's not the case. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Here's the deal:

Regardless of the "rare" nature of the companion - it will stay in that max-level until you spend the Astral Diamonds to upgrade.

However: all cap-levels are being increased with an additional 5 level, so for example:

Purple cap-level of 30 now has a cap level of 35.
    Blue cap-level of 25 now has a cap level of 30.
    Green cap-level of 20 now has a cap level of 25.
    White cap-level of 15 now has a cap level of 20.

If I have a companion *already* at level cap - it will be boosted to the new level cap automatically (it will stay at level-cap; you do not have to slowly rank it up to the next level cap). If your companion is not yet at level-cap, however, it will remain at its current level and you will have to continue ranking it up.

Only the level-cap moves, your companions (if already maxed-out) will automatically be leveled up to the new max, but it will not be "upgraded" at all (from Blue to Purple, for example).

So for clarity: If I have a Blue companion at rank 25 - it will now automatically be at level 30 (but still a blue). If I have a purple companion at rank 28.7 it will still be at rank 28.7 and I will have to continue ranking it up until level 35.

And there is a new level-cap "rarety" that has a level-cap of 40, and "Epic" purples can be upgraded for unGodly amounts of AD.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Wow best clarification ever :D
    Thanks for your time.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So for clarity: If I have a Blue companion at rank 25 - it will now automatically be at level 30 (but still a blue). If I have a purple companion at rank 28.7 it will still be at rank 28.7 and I will have to continue ranking it up until level 35.

Partialy wrong, or maybe its something with my toons, but my r25 blue stone stayed 25 blue stone after copy, and my r30 purple companions stayed r30 purple companions, i needed to lvl up them alongside with my toon (which was quite easy anyway, no addicional effort was needed). Rest of what u had said is true afaik.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Partialy wrong, or maybe its something with my toons, but my r25 blue stone stayed 25 blue stone after copy, and my r30 purple companions stayed r30 purple companions, i needed to lvl up them alongside with my toon (which was quite easy anyway, no addicional effort was needed). Rest of what u had said is true afaik.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

That could be - I'm repeating what Gentleman Crush (Might have been Panders, but pretty sure it was GMC) said. And I think it was described this way in a previous build patch notes also and GMC gave additional detail and described it more or less the way I did above. Of course anything can change any time. :)
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    All companions can gain 5 more levels on top of their prior cap, but you still need to get the experience for them to reach those levels.

In an early preview build they were ready to send for training if they'd already been fully levelled but that was changed a while ago.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And if we want confirmed weirdness, I had one green companion that was 19-almost-20 which was auto-filled to 25 and ready to train when I got back to it, and my husband also had a single levelling companion that received the same treatment. The only other levelling companion on either of our accounts was a just-started Damaran Shepherd where I couldn't tell if it had more XP than I'd earned for it or not.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is something they changed during the test phase.
    The first builds of mod 6 gave 5 levels worth of exp to all companions, then they just raised the cap (in fact on PTS my companions lost 5 levels at some point), but left the current level unaltered.
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If I have a companion *already* at level cap - it will be boosted to the new level cap automatically (it will stay at level-cap; you do not have to slowly rank it up to the next level cap). If your companion is not yet at level-cap, however, it will remain at its current level and you will have to continue ranking it up.

Only the level-cap moves, your companions (if already maxed-out) will automatically be leveled up to the new max, but it will not be "upgraded" at all (from Blue to Purple, for example).

This is actually working in reverse on live. Capped companions stay the same level, whereas uncapped companions auto-level to the new cap.

Hilarious.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    This is actually working in reverse on live. Capped companions stay the same level, whereas uncapped companions auto-level to the new cap.

Hilarious.

Yup. There seems to be a lot of things happening that shouldn't and a lot not that should. LOL

As I'd said in another thread where the OP was new and wondering what to expect with such a big update: "there will be bugs, be patient and hang-on for a bumpy week or two."