test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hey I just closed Neverwinter! Why did the patcher open? - An explanation

akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys,

In preparation for our upcoming expansion, we've enabled what's called "pre-patching". Pre-patching allows your client to receive the expansion patch *before* it comes out. That way, you won't have to sit and wait for your client to patch when M6 goes live.

One thing to note: pre-patching will *not* enable you to play the new content before it goes live. What it will do is save you time on April 7th when Module 6 comes out!

Another thing to note: you *will* be able to play Neverwinter whether or not you download the pre-patch.

I've included some frequently asked questions to alleviate any further confusion:

Q: My patcher just opened even though I just closed Neverwinter.
A: Yes, this is called pre-patching (see above). It's a time-saving process that makes it so you can download the Module 6 patch beforehand. This way, you won't have to wait a long time to play Neverwinter when Module 6 launches.

Q: I downloaded the pre-patch, will I still be able to access Neverwinter in the days leading up to Module 6's launch?
A: Yes, you will still be able to access Neverwinter if you download the pre-patch.

Q: I can download the patch early? Does this mean I can access the Elemental Evil content early?
A: No. It only means you won't have to wait as long to play Module 6 when it goes live.

Q: I don't want to download the pre-patch. Can I still play Neverwinter?
A: Of course. You will be able to play Neverwinter whether or not you downloaded the pre-patch. Of course, when Module 6 releases, you will have to download the patch one way or another.

Q: I don't like this. I would rather wait to patch on launch day.
A: Not a problem! Just close the patcher when it tries to pre-patch and you'll be fine. You will still be able to play Neverwinter and you will still be able to pre-patch if you change your mind. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    akromatik wrote: »
    Hey guys,

In preparation for our upcoming expansion, we've enabled what's called "pre-patching". Pre-patching allows your client to receive the expansion patch *before* it comes out. That way, you won't have to sit and wait for your client to patch when M6 goes live.

One thing to note: pre-patching will *not* enable you to play the new content before it goes live. What it will do is save you time on November 18th when Module 6 comes out!

Another thing to note: you *will* be able to play Neverwinter whether or not you download the pre-patch.

I've included some frequently asked questions to alleviate any further confusion:

Q: My patcher just opened even though I just closed Neverwinter.
    A: Yes, this is called pre-patching (see above). It's a time-saving process that makes it so you can download the Module 6 patch beforehand. This way, you won't have to wait a long time to play Neverwinter when Module 6 launches.

Q: I downloaded the pre-patch, will I still be able to access Neverwinter in the days leading up to Module 6's launch?
    A: Yes, you will still be able to access Neverwinter if you download the pre-patch.

Q: I can download the patch early? Does this mean I can access the Elemental Evil content early?
    A: No. It only means you won't have to wait as long to play Module 6 when it goes live.

Q: I don't want to download the pre-patch. Can I still play Neverwinter?
    A: Of course. You will be able to play Neverwinter whether or not you downloaded the pre-patch. Of course, when Module 6 releases, you will have to download the patch one way or another.

Q: I don't like this. I would rather wait to patch on launch day.
    A: Not a problem! Just close the patcher when it tries to pre-patch and you'll be fine. You will still be able to play Neverwinter and you will still be able to pre-patch if you change your mind. :)

november 18 :(
    but.. but.. but i %oo% from there.
    Is it gonna hurt?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    praxismirrorspraxismirrors Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    akromatik wrote: »

One thing to note: pre-patching will *not* enable you to play the new content before it goes live. What it will do is save you time on November 18th when Module 6 comes out!

I've heard that having someone else proof read your stuff is usually helpful......

All though maybe the November 18th release date will give you guys time to fix alot of the bugs that have yet to be fixed and are most likely going to be making it to live.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Poor Akro, the forumites shown no mercy for copy/paste fails. :p
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Fixed that up.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    b0rkch0pb0rkch0p Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    another one may be (I know I have that ?) would be ... Which version (or starting version) is prepatched? / how does one know if they have prepatched.

thanks!
  • Options
    odelle12odelle12 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I know this is a silly question for some people but is there a way to get an estimate of how large the patch is?

We are in Australia and we are restricted in our download limit. Looking forward to Mod 6 and the pallies!!

Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Not getting the pre-patch?
    If one is not getting the Pre-Patch launcher auto-loading up after exiting the game, you may have On-Demand patching enabled. To disable this, load the launcher then click Options on the top right. In there, uncheck "On-demand patching" and then click Save. You will then patch the entire current game. When that is done, launch the game normally. Once you're at the character select screen, exit the game and the pre-patch launcher should then start up on its own.

As a bonus to disabling On-demand patching, you may notice your loading screen times to be much shorter, as the game won't be patching on-demand anymore but already running the full game.

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
    [ RoC | ToS | Support ]
  • Options
    akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Poor Akro, the forumites shown no mercy for copy/paste fails. :p

Yeah, my bad. Sorry folks! We're firing on all cylinders here getting things prepped for tomorrow!
  • Options
    vandignescavandignesca Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    odelle12 wrote: »
    I know this is a silly question for some people but is there a way to get an estimate of how large the patch is?

We are in Australia and we are restricted in our download limit. Looking forward to Mod 6 and the pallies!!

Any help is appreciated.

Mine was just a bit over 3.5GB. It was "35xxMB" all I remember :)
    Love yourself, and focus on the rest of the madness of life later.
  • Options
    odelle12odelle12 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Mine was just a bit over 3.5GB. It was "35xxMB" all I remember :)

Thank you!
  • Options
    rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    odelle12 wrote: »

Any help is appreciated.

Hey Fellow Australian :D
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
This discussion has been closed.