test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

NWN on AOL

mark96826mark96826 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
I have been wondering, did anybody around here ever play the ORIGINAL Neverwinter Nights on America Online? We're talking about 25 years ago give or take. I played on my 2400 Baud dial up modem, and used to have so much SERIOUS fun. I know the time frame would likely insure "only us kids" are still around (the average age of player then was about 30ish and I was 15)

I ask because I see so many references to the "Original" Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2...........but there was a Neverwinter before those ;)

I'd love to hear any remineses from past players, or if any of my former contemporaries are even still alive :P
Post edited by mark96826 on

Comments

• Options
    dikawolfdikawolf Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I did, I played a thief with the same character name I use now. I ended up running a bill of over $200 one month because of it (it was a lot of money to me back then). I joined on because people I knew on AOL played it a lot and it was my way of being around them in a way. Back then people who frequent certain AOL forums became close knit in a way regardless of living hundreds of miles from each other. In this case, it was the Unlimited Adventures forum. I was a frequent contributor to the forum, as well as art columnist for the Unlimited Adventures Newsletter (which are still available online http://frua.rosedragon.org/uanls.htm) and drew many of their covers.

Sometimes, I see a character in NWO with the same name as the people I knew in NWN and the UA forums and I wonder, could that be??? Well if any of the UANL people are playing this game (or reading these forums). Yes, I am that Dika Wolf! :)

Also be sure to check out my DeviantArt page!
  • Options
    zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I will admit that I missed the original online Neverwinter Nights back in the early 90s. I ended up getting into D&D in the 90s but didn't get internet at home until the year 2000. My dad didn't believe the internet would ever become a thing for the longest time. He said the same about Windows. "Why do I need Windows when DOS works perfectly fine?"

I did watch some videos on the Neverwinter Nights AOL game and man, did it look fun. I loved 2nd edition D&D. As many improvements as 3rd edition made, 2nd edition was much easier for a beginner to understand and I'm glad I started with that rule set.

My first D&D game was one of the SSI Gold Box games... Pools of Radiance I think. I never beat it, but I loved playing it. I wish GoG or someone would get those games because I really want to go back and play them with what I know now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • Options
    healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the better question is if AOL is still alive? Well, at least all their blogger subsidiaries are not.

Dial up is dead, AOL has died a massive dead. Yes, back then, internet usage was charged per minute and the rate was prohibitively expensive. If players back then played the same amount of hours per day they are playing now, they would be broke in no time.

Well, I found it more fun now because the cost of internet is much lower and almost all online games are F2P.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    W00t! Yes! NW on AOL! 1200 & 2400baud baaaaaby! Good times.

Those "half-page" ads (@240 cps!) were bruuuuuutal.
    Used to annoy the heck outta me -especially while paying hourly! Aaarg!

Old fogies unite!

Beholder! Run!

wielsek.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It wasn't so much about the graphics back then LOL....but the community roleplaying :) I played a character named Tar Ritan, who was the 1st Lt of the only all Elf guild "The Grey Company"
  • Options
    quollquoll Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I played NWN on AOL a lot back in the day. It was my first exposure to D&D. I remember how generous the vets were there. Seemed like every time I made a new character I would run into a vet giving out +3 weapons.

I also remember finding out the hard way that you shouldn't try leaving a monster you're fighting to help a party member.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I was playin Shadow of Yserbius back then. Didn't play NWN until the PC version came out. Then I played with thousands of others on the many game servers of NWN modules. That was fun!!! :p
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Quall....Dikawolf.............Who were your characters on the old AOL NWN??
  • Options
    quollquoll Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Its been too long for me to remember those names unfortunately.
  • Options
    dikawolfdikawolf Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mark96826 wrote: »
    Quall....Dikawolf.............Who were your characters on the old AOL NWN??

The same as in every Medieval Fantasy game I've played, whether it be tabletop, mobile or console, Dika Wolf (usually as a thief if available). The only time I didn't use that name in a Medieval RPG was in EverQuest. Someone else was using it pretending to be me, and caused a big ruckus too when she posted a suicide note. I expectedly got the brunt of that flack receiving so many condolences emails along with requests for interviews with news reporters.

Also be sure to check out my DeviantArt page!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I just HAD to play a Drow character this time :) Maybe some others remember the massive RP event on there of the "House DeVir" invading Neverwinter? :D
  • Options
    ktogokimerktogokimer Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yes I played and was in KTO, and had this exact name.
    Loved the pvp clouds you could jump into !
    It was hilarious, loads of fun !
    I only remember two guild members names, KTOBear and KTOViper, brothers.

Good times.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    LOL....I totally remember the KTO Guilds :D