test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can someone explain why I need to get artifacts/grind/refine etc

eco66eco66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited March 2015 in PvE Discussion
Hi.

I'm currently lvl 40 and I've been able to solo my way through everything so far wothout spending any real money. I've joined dungeon queues for the dungeons so far.

I see a lot of threads here about refining and whatnot. Refining is something I've just been doing to free up inv slots. I'm replacing gear when it gets 'recommended'.

Grinding the same content over and over is massively boring to me. I like to do the content once, maybe two or three times more if it's a dungeon.

When I get to level 60 (or 70 when mod6 cones out) and 've finished all the zone content, can I just keep doing foundry quests? Is it possible for me to do all the content once without grinding for weeks of inanity?

Eco
Post edited by eco66 on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sure you can if you realize two things...

1. Foundry quests have poor experience unless you play during "foundry hour" (150% experience gain).
    2. Foundry quests have really, really, really poor treasure.

...and it's extremely hard to find any foundries that are of any "quality" (story, composition, etc) due to the extremely bad search mechanism.

...and there are NO skill nodes in foundries.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    Sure you can if you realize two things...

1. Foundry quests have poor experience unless you play during "foundry hour" (150% experience gain).
    2. Foundry quests have really, really, really poor treasure.

...and it's extremely hard to find any foundries that are of any "quality" (story, composition, etc) due to the extremely bad search mechanism.

...and there are NO skill nodes in foundries.

I dont really care about treasure. I dont see the point of it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I mean, I've got all this gold and asrral things and Seals and ork banners and whatnot and I occasionally but something but nothing seems to be useful at all any more than the stuff which drops from mobs. There's no point in putting any runes in my swords or dying my hood. I tried that but a few quests later I got recommended to swap my hood and swords anyway. Why do runes drop at lvl 30 if there's no point in slotting them? It's not like the quests are hard without them.
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    eco66 wrote: »
    I dont really care about treasure. I dont see the point of it.

Since "treasure" includes items, you will need solid blues to get better purples once you hit max level.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    But why do I need purples? And please don't say 'so you can get [more treasure]'.
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You don't *need* to do any of the post-60 stuff but it does reward with good gear and boons. You'll run out of enjoyable foundry missions very quickly - lots of dross and only a few good ones.

And what some call grind, I call game. I'm happy to make slow progress on the "endgame" modules. No need to rush.

Of course, you could choose to PVP to keep yourself amused, or you could level up another toon.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I don't think I'm making myself very clear lol (my fault totally, thank you for the responses).

So far I've met sort of two kinds of content (apart from the minigames like professions, collecting magic mushrooms and catching spies etc):

One type (Type A), for example, there was this woman who turned into a sort of mutant, and her husband was freaking out, so me and my girlfriend went off trying to help her etc. And eventually we got to this huge tower thing with a magically exploded top bit, and her husband had caught the magical mutant disease too, so he transformed and we had to fight him. Then eventually at the top og the tower we met a wizard called Ragehard or something, and he was in this purple bubble and anyway, we gave him a kicking and then Seargent Knox was all 'well done, dude!' and we were like 'high-five!'.

Another type like that was in a zone full of orcs and it eventually led to some sort of steampunk tower where we had to arrange clockwork gears or something. That was much harder, but we managed to duo it so yay us.

That type of content is what I like the best - a series of geezers asks me to go help with doing something and there's like a story involved, and X number of quests in a linear sequence culminating in some kind of 'epic' instance with a big boss or whatever.

Then there's another type of content (type B), which I access sometimes to collect astrals (I don't really know what these are for tbh, I originally wanted them so I could buy my gf a unicorn but I don't think that's feasible), and an example of this type is this big fight in a pit. Can't recall what it's called now but basically you go into a little arena and fight waves of mobs finishing with a werewolf guy. There's no story as such.

Now so far, I have been able to do both types of content without really bothering much on my build. I don't know if I can just keep doing what I've been doing, or even if the 'endgame' content follows which type of content I described above. I see there are 'campaigns'. Are they type A or type B? If I need purple things just so I can do a glorified pit fight over and over and over without being one-shotted immediately then I'll just skip it, if that's all the end game is.

I see a few threads about mod 6 here, but all they talk about is loot and lvl caps and refines and never mention what the expansion is apart from in those terms. I gather its something to do with elementals? Will there be new zones, with quest lines, or is it just pit fights? Does anyone above lvl 59 notice narrative?

EDIT:

Incidentally, I do really like NW. It's the most fun I've had in an MMO since NCSOft killed CoH, and I've tried a LOT lol. I'm just worried about running out of narrative content and being left with grinding the same dungeon/s over and over.
  • Options
    thewolfisloosethewolfisloose Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Refining pre-lvl 60 is not necessary. At higher levels, some content (both A and B type, and mostly B) is blocked by gear/total stat requirements. You can exceed those requirements by getting purple gear (which have more stats than blues), upgrading artifacts and/or buying/refining enchants. A little bit of work is required to play some content. Once you get that content, it's up to you how you handle it. Either scrap by with some skill and call it gg or bulk up and master it.

You don't have to grind, but it is a nice feeling when you can bully elite mobs to the ground.

EDIT:

Though there is no narrative replay value in the dungeons, it's not really the same dungeon when you're at level 60 and when you're at high-geared level 60. The way you play with (or as) the latter-type players is more chaotic and fast-paced so your play style evolves. So it's not the same every time in that sense. Just two cents from a semi-grinder.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ahhh I see. Hm, well knowing that there's type A endgame content and I might need to get certain gear to access it is good to know.

Thanks v much.

Eco
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No,

you will not be running group content with found greens and blues. you will want to participate and contribute, these means a couple of things.

A. You need to learn how to get a steady income of AD and
    B. You will need to worry about how to gear up and grind.

THAT is if you want to do group content, if you are fine not doing it, then yes, you can of course skip it all.
  • Options
    wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    The only end game content like what you described would maybe be doing interesting foundries. Everything else is a repeatable quest to build up campaign stats towards boons OR are dungeons you would end up running over and over for gear to be able to do those dungeons more often.

Once the main storyline ends, that is it for actual stories and missions such as what you described. The gameplay remains fun, but all sense of story is pretty much gone and it becomes 'hi same dudes i talked to yesterday, what 1 of 3 quests do you have for me today?' And none of those quests are of the storyline variety. They are of the 'go here and kill this many or find this many of these things and then come tell me about it' variety.

That being said, dungeons are fun and they do become more fun as you gear up. Problem is, not as many people do dungeons anymore, and those who do are pretty well geared and do them so fast as to not really enjoy them.

Best advice would be to have fun getting yourself to level 60, and then try to find a guild that is into the foundry and doing dungeons for fun rather than for gearing up. not sure how many of those exist anymore, as even mine was more like that when I joined but is less like that now, as pretty much everything you do in this game is about building up towards some kind of treasure, rather than pure pleasure. unfortunately.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If all you are interested in is content, story lines, and foundry missions then there is no need for you to every worry about artifact equipment and refining. You can continue to enjoy what the game has to offer without needing any of it.

However, there is end game content where the difficulty ratchets up. This looks to be especially true in Module 6. The reworked level 70 dungeons are difficult and someone without higher quality gear will get slaughtered attempting to complete it. They'll be a group liability. There is a minimum gear threshold to enter those dungeons.

Enter artifact gear and refining which grant you much more damage and much more damage resistance.

However, that's only part of the reason for Artifact gear. A lot of people are obsessed with making their character as good as they can possibly be--which means maximizing gear. When that is what people want it means they must undertake an incredibly log slog up a mountain of refining.

If you're not interested in maximizing your character then you're not required to engage in any of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ah, I see. I'm not at all interested in grinding raids like they do in WoW. I'll just get to 60 and finish all the story quests and then do foundry stuff until I can't find any more and then stop I guess.

But of a shame they don't give any more narrative content when they add new expansions but I guess most players just want to kill things and not read stuff.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh, going through those campaigns for the first time does have some narrative value. Also the "kill-x-this,-then-do-that" quests are more often than not packaged in some bit of story when you do them - for the first time. Just... ...there's less stories than repetitions, so after a while, all that remains is the "kill-x-..." part.

The grind-and-refine thing is what the game(-designers) give you as a surrogate goal to aim for when their storytelling has come to an end. Plus, ofc, it does permit you to speed up the repetition, and thus make it less boring... :^[)

Also, after a certain point the hi-octane stuff really becomes necessary to compete. By design, of course, but what good would a shiny new thingamajeek be if it only were for bragging rights... ...you'll eventually reach places, where you do need good gear, or you'll be on the same level of usefulness as your healer companion and go bellyup (or rather doggie-style) within seconds in every major fight. In order to avoid such embarrassment, you should seek out sufficiently powerful tools, same as in most of the looter kind of games everywhere. And the artifact-weapon-refining thing is just somewhat simpler to design than dozens of ever more challenging dungeouns with ever more powerful loot, so that be the way....
  • Options
    thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you like great storylines from start to finish, I recommend starwars the old republic, and also lord of the rings online.

NW is a great game storywise until 60. After that it basically become an action arcade game set in forgotten realms.
  • Options
    cyencecyence Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just keep doing what floats your boat until you realize there is something worth paying money for. If you like foundry quests, check out the foundry subforum and look for a guild focused on foundry quests (mythweavers and?)
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hi.

I'm currently lvl 40 and I've been able to solo my way through everything so far wothout spending any real money. I've joined dungeon queues for the dungeons so far.

I see a lot of threads here about refining and whatnot. Refining is something I've just been doing to free up inv slots. I'm replacing gear when it gets 'recommended'.

Grinding the same content over and over is massively boring to me. I like to do the content once, maybe two or three times more if it's a dungeon.

When I get to level 60 (or 70 when mod6 cones out) and 've finished all the zone content, can I just keep doing foundry quests? Is it possible for me to do all the content once without grinding for weeks of inanity?

Eco
    Do what you have fun doing. If it's not fun for you, don't do it.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you enjoy Foundries, and like ones with story, please consider trying my "T1: The Village of Hommlet" in the "Temple of Elemental Evil" campaign.

As to what someone said earlier about there only being a few good foundry quests, that is simply not true. They are just hard to find given the overwhelming number of exploits, farms, and simply bad quests.
    A good way to find new ones you might enjoy is to subscribe to authors you like. It puts everything else they have published in your Subscribed tab, so that you can easily find them.

-- @Gruffydd
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hi.

Eco

The short answer is that, yes, you will be able to do all content that is meant to be soloed, without huge amounts of grinding. This is especially true if running Foundry quests is what most interests you. Now, personally, I like the rewards and boons you get from the various campaigns, but if the foundry is what you enjoy, all the more power to you.

The longer answer is that if you want to do team content, especially the epic dungeons and similar, then you will want purple gear and at least a lesser weapon and armor enchantment. Your team will want you to be able to contribute on a level about equal to what they can, which means epic gear. You don't have to go crazy with the refining and such, but at least try to rank up some of your artifacts...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ah, I see. I'm not at all interested in grinding raids like they do in WoW. I'll just get to 60 and finish all the story quests and then do foundry stuff until I can't find any more and then stop I guess.

But of a shame they don't give any more narrative content when they add new expansions but I guess most players just want to kill things and not read stuff.

: whacks a gong with a mallet: BBOOONNGG!

Not so, oh player. There is always more storyline with a new module, and progressive content.

You can get good Foundries to do more side-content as well. Some of the Beta stage ones are so bad they are enjoyable like watching Killer Tomatoes as a movie. Some are REALLY good long adventures. It's not all amateur badly done content!

Grind - why? : shrugs: Also doesn't make sense to think paying for everything with RL money will instantly get you the best experience possible. A LITTLE bit helps, but a lot doesn't make it better. Sort of like syrup on pancakes.

"Why do I need epic gear? Why doesn't the game just provide everything I need in regular drops outside dungeons? Why do I even need to use the Auction House for gear? Doesn't that make it pointless to go to dungeons?"

These are all regularly asked questions.

Epic Gear - Helps you die less, and some areas require the Gear Score generated by it. (That was address earlier in this thread.)

Loot Drops - This is random drops which whilst some consider frustrating really DOES keep it as fair as one can have to make sure you don't just have those whom can pay for the best things EVER. It gives the Free to Play people the same chance at it.

Auction House - You cannot get EVERYTHING here, but it does help on starter Epic gear, or extra enchants etc. Word to the wise though CHECK if an item is available elsewhere before buying it on the AH. Prime example is Mark of Potency (blue) which at the Wonderous Bazaar goes for 25000 AD, but on the Auction House may cost you 22000- 27000 AD each.

Dungeons - Designed to be played with others as a group experience to provide a different flavor of play, and promote teamwork in an MMO. Whether you go with PUGs, or guildies is up to you.

You're going to get out of the game what you put into it. IF you yell, get frustrated, demand solo only content, and generally seek out negativity you'll find that, and then quit. If instead you have persistence, work with others, and look for the variety then you will find a longer enjoyable gaming experience.

Anyhow, enough from the half silver dragon here......
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Lol there's not a drop been invented would get me to run anything 'hundreds' of times. Not even if it dropped tokens guaranteeing a RL night of passion with Megan Fox would I do that.

I'll keep going till it gets dull and then try that Star Wars suggestion.

I might spend some real money on gear though, if it'll let me see some of the gear-restricted content. I'm not worried so much anout money, it's just the boring faffing about with crafting and what have you I can't be bothered with.
  • Options
    dagger2thugtrap7dagger2thugtrap7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Sorry as if it has mentioned before, but can you explain some of my questions:
    -My character current lvl is 50 am i eligible to play through the content expansions such as Sharandar from Feywild and Kessell and Tiamat from Tyranny of Dragons or am to be waiting to reach lvl 60? Or if not, where do i pick up those quest?
    -I played through many Heroic Encounters and gathered dragon coin but in Protector's Enclave I am seeing the Harper merchant by trading so good equipments for AH, gold, dragon coins. But what is the third currency he needs: maybe black ice? or something else and where can i find Luna's favor to buy artifact weapons?
    -How do I start black ice shaping professions and find black ice pick?
    -Where do you get/find booster packs(profession, euuipment, refinement), is there a chance to get them from loots or quest rewards?
    thanks and sorry if it was posted somewhere else!
  • Options
    juleadreamjuleadream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    -My character current lvl is 50 am i eligible to play through the content expansions such as Sharandar from Feywild and Kessell and Tiamat from Tyranny of Dragons or am to be waiting to reach lvl 60? Or if not, where do i pick up those quest?
    -I played through many Heroic Encounters and gathered dragon coin but in Protector's Enclave I am seeing the Harper merchant by trading so good equipments for AH, gold, dragon coins. But what is the third currency he needs: maybe black ice? or something else and where can i find Luna's favor to buy artifact weapons?
    -Where do you get/find booster packs(profession, euuipment, refinement), is there a chance to get them from loots or quest rewards?

- All campaigns except Tyranny of Dragons is level 60 content
    - Artifact Weapons are crafted in the Tyranny of Dragons campaign, after you have complted all 5 of the "Assist the ____" tasks. That other currency you mention is probably Dragon Fangs, which you get in Well of Dragons (level 60)
    - Black Ice Shaping is part of Icewind Dale (level 60)
    - Booster Packs are Zen store purchases (but you do get one - only one - as a reward at around level 24 - 25 in Neverdeath)
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    -My character current lvl is 50 am i eligible to play through the content expansions such as Sharandar from Feywild and Kessell and Tiamat from Tyranny of Dragons or am to be waiting to reach lvl 60?

You have to reach Level 60 first.

Black Ice is the hallmark of Icewind Dale, so you're alluding to Linu's Favor. Those are earned in Tiamat raids, or, very slowly, by gathering Dragon Hoard Coffers in Well of Dragons. Also, though you might be able to get there, level 60 stuff, and I'd recommend some better gear for WoD, and for Tiamat... ...well, long and sad story.

Anyway, all those Items sold there are level 60 (and soon Level 70) gear.

After reaching 60, and playing through Dread Ring (10 days without green invoke chests) or Sharandar (a month) to the third boon, and reaching a Gear Score of 10k, you can travel to Icewind Dale. There you'll get a pick on you first day's questline.

One profession booster pack is given out as a quest reward in Neverdeath at ca. Lvl 30. End of story as far as free packs are concerned.

Currently, but not necessarily also after Mod 6 hits, the proceeding would've been the following:

Proceed to Level 60, do Dread Ring and Sharandar. Find a Guild to join and play Gauntlgrym, to get some feel for the opposition there and for what the other classes' members of parties can and will do. Do Skirmishes (e.g. Dread legion) during Skirmish Hour for 1000AD per run. Get your Leadership Profession going. All the while you'll find some gear and get some AD. Buy yourself an Armor Set for low 5-digit AD sums, go out to find a better one in Dungeouns or by buing it from AD made, too. Start running with the zerg mob in the Dragon Herald rounds. Then start with Tiamat runs when you are tough enough to carry your own weight through boss fights.

We'll, however, see Mod 6 coming in like 10 days, that might or might not change the rules quite a bit here. So basically: Get to Level 60. Start Dread ring and Sharandar ASAP and as proceed far as possible before the patch hits on 17th - this might well become harder.
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm a bit confused by all this talk of storyline and narrative.
    My toon woke up on a beach, got hypnotized by some dude and is now obsessed with following a little sparkly line. At the end of the line he either kills something or talks to someone and then, by magic, the little sparkly line heads off somewhere else. Whenever there is no little sparkly line my toon goes a bit crazy and attacks everything in sight until he finds the little sparkly line again. And so goes the circle of life...
  • Options
    elvenangerelvenanger Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ugh sorry ignore this post.
  • Options
    wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    henry404 wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused by all this talk of storyline and narrative.
    My toon woke up on a beach, got hypnotized by some dude and is now obsessed with following a little sparkly line. At the end of the line he either kills something or talks to someone and then, by magic, the little sparkly line heads off somewhere else. Whenever there is no little sparkly line my toon goes a bit crazy and attacks everything in sight until he finds the little sparkly line again. And so goes the circle of life...

since there's no 'like' button that i could see.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Lol there's not a drop been invented would get me to run anything 'hundreds' of times. Not even if it dropped tokens guaranteeing a RL night of passion with Megan Fox would I do that.

It sounds like MMO's are probably not for you.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    1. Since you hate grinding like I do, pvp will probably eventually interest you.

2. To do pvp without <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> the team, you will need to grind.

3. I implore you to never que for pvp once you reach 60.