test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Possible improvements to pvp coming?

lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
I only saw this today from the preview shard. Potentially a good move.

Gauntlgrym PvP: Has been updated to a 10v10 player PvP Domination match. The map now supports levels 60-70 and bolsters to level 70. The buffs for capturing points, catapults and the giant have been removed.

However, my concern is that the map is too large for only 10v10 pvp, unless they are reducing the size as well? At least it gives us another option. 5v5 always felt too much like arena in WoW - 10v10 has a better feel imo and would allow small skirmishes all over the map.

Pvp: Characters remain on map for 15 seconds following logout

Awesome move for those <bleep> who prevent you from executing them for the achievements. Nice to know the devs are picking up on things like this.

I'd like to make another suggestion devs. Is it not possible to incorporate IWP and DV pvp zones into 10v10 domination as well? It's a well-known fact that these two zones don't get used very much anymore for pvp. Would be sad to see them both go to waste as they are both beautiful pvp zones. Perhaps have separate instances where they can still be used for open world pvp but also as an option for domination through queuing. There would be no need to add further pvp maps if this was implemented in some way along with the reworked GG.
Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Post edited by lirithiel on

Comments

• Options
    svekoljsvekolj Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2015
    lirithiel wrote: »

Awesome move for those <bleep> who prevent you from executing them for the achievements. Nice to know the devs are picking up on things like this.

lel, such a heinous crime, devs should rather pick up on gross class imbalance in my opinion

also can't you just click release?
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They have to set in stone a true matchmaking gs based and different q for premades.
    Its relatively simple we are already experiencing 20 minutes queues.
    You cant try to fix something without solid roots.
  • Options
    mirrorballsmirrorballs Member Posts: 877 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I'm interested in the wording they used: "Bolster".

If this mechanic persists even in normal domination PvP, then it can only mean a good thing.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The off topic remarks have been removed. Please keep the thread on the specified topic. Also, in accordance with the RoC, please do not make comments that allude to quitting or threatening to quit.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    humorisbenefithumorisbenefit Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I only saw this today from the preview shard. Potentially a good move.

Gauntlgrym PvP: Has been updated to a 10v10 player PvP Domination match. The map now supports levels 60-70 and bolsters to level 70. The buffs for capturing points, catapults and the giant have been removed.

However, my concern is that the map is too large for only 10v10 pvp, unless they are reducing the size as well? At least it gives us another option. 5v5 always felt too much like arena in WoW - 10v10 has a better feel imo and would allow small skirmishes all over the map.

I'd like to make another suggestion devs. Is it not possible to incorporate IWP and DV pvp zones into 10v10 domination as well? It's a well-known fact that these two zones don't get used very much anymore for pvp. Would be sad to see them both go to waste as they are both beautiful pvp zones. Perhaps have separate instances where they can still be used for open world pvp but also as an option for domination through queuing. There would be no need to add further pvp maps if this was implemented in some way along with the reworked GG.
    GG update seems valid, but 30 vs. 30 was fun before so many stopped logging in game.... but is there risk that GG became TR -trolling match?

I dont see how IWD/DW benefitting 15 seconds logout change because most players just farm achviements with guild/friends, so leaving map 15 seconds penalty feels weird and it wuold be nice try 10 vs. 10 premade on current PvP maps.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    GG update seems valid, but 30 vs. 30 was fun before so many stopped logging in game.... but is there risk that GG became TR -trolling match?

Very much so. There is a thread around somewhere illustrating a whole page of TR's running amok in GG. Unfortunately our super mod killed it because he didn't deem it worthy :\
    I dont see how IWD/DW benefitting 15 seconds logout change because most players just farm achviements with guild/friends, so leaving map 15 seconds penalty feels weird and it wuold be nice try 10 vs. 10 premade on current PvP maps.

Well as I understood it people were logging off in IWD to prevent the opponent from executing. I don't know if using the shift-2 had a slight delay whereas logging off was instantaneous. Obviously there is a very good reason this new method was implemented even if we don't really know why.

And not everyone does IWD pvp as a group. I never did, always ran in there solo. I wish all domination matches were 10v10 tbh. Yes the current 2 maps would have to be embiggened which I doubt will ever happen but 5v5 just never felt the right balance to me.

On the subject of GG 10v10, so it will be domination now, does that mean you can queue for it like with the 5v5 domination matches? Dev wasn't very clear on that.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    magenubbie wrote: »
    Really? How exactly does this prevent people from releasing themselves with shift-2? And before you start calling people things, you may want to consider that they release just to get back in the game quicker. It's not always about your ego, you know. Frankly, I see no use for this at all.

I can call them what I want because it's petty to pull a move like that to attempt to screw someone else over. It can even be deemed as an exploit, something that was not meant to be allowed. Now the devs are making sure it cannot happen anymore.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I thought that some people actually would abandon a match (by logging out and risking the penalty) rather than allow themselves to be executed. I guess if you log back in fast enough then the game might treat it like an accidental disconnect.

Shift+2 is just business as usual though. You're not actually ditching your match.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    rarefactionrarefaction Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This may also lessen spawn camping.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Shift-2 an exploit? You're either nuts or you need to stop giving Loki your password. It's been a normal thing since beta. There's no exploit here. There's only a sore loser who isn't faster than a dead pixel. And I still don't see how "remain on map for 15 seconds following logout" prevents people from doing so. First, you don't logout, you release/resurrect. Second, it would be plain silly.

God do you even read? You were talking about logging out, I responded.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Let me ask you the same question. Because out of all my posts in this thread, the word logout is mentioned only once. Well 4 times now, including quotes. And all but 1 were used to quote you quoting another thread.

Touche ;)
    Really? How exactly does this prevent people from releasing themselves with shift-2?

But you alluded to it without actually using the word. Lemme attempt to clear it up for you. I was talking about logging off during pvp and the shenanigans that go along with it. You were the one who brought up shift-2. It was never in the original topic. It still has nothing to do with logging off.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    OMG . Last bastion of my enjoyment updated? this is so kind, really appreciate it. scary and feared now ...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    vinceent1 wrote: »
    OMG . Last bastion of my enjoyment updated? this is so kind, really appreciate it. scary and feared now ...

there are people who enjoy gg? the only enjoyable thing I found in it was playing bowling using shard of the endless avalanche and the enemy team camping our spawn point, but that's my personal mini-game and I doubt it was intended.
  • Options
    vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    svekolj wrote: »
    there are people who enjoy gg? the only enjoyable thing I found in it was playing bowling using shard of the endless avalanche and the enemy team camping our spawn point, but that's my personal mini-game and I doubt it was intended.

simple math ... if you have imbalanced pvp, then 20vs20 is better than 5vs5. more balanced, because two overpowered TR dont mean sure win...
  • Options
    rcn808rcn808 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Lol. It has nothing to do with that. People just press shift+2, not logging out. It's a measure aimed at possible disconnects during the pvp matches, when you can't join the game again after logging back in.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    macjae wrote: »
    It's not an exploit to release so you can get back in the game more quickly. The problem is rather that it's poor design to make an "achievement" that relies on the goodwill of someone that was just defeated to complete. "Oh, that guy killed me? Well, I'll deny him at least some of his prize in retaliation!" The ability to release after being killed was there long before the executions achievement; the problem lies with the design of the achievement, just as a number of other PvP campaign achievements are problematic (the 1,000 NPC kills in particular).

I have no idea where the confusion has come in. Maybe because English is not your first language? I never claimed/suggested/indicated that Shift-2 was an exploit, but rather logging out when someone has killed you. Simple as. There cleared it up for everyone.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This may also lessen spawn camping.

How so? Base camping is surrendering, made slow due to lack of a surrender vote or something similar.

Why would a 15sec logout-countdown prevent that?

And 10 vs 10, 5 vs. 5, or 25 vs 25 - If one team is overwhelmingly stronger, it'll rush the base sooner or later. Why would that be in any way more difficult by 10 vs. 10 as opposed to 20 vs 20?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    How so? Base camping is surrendering, made slow due to lack of a surrender vote or something similar.

Why would a 15sec logout-countdown prevent that?

And 10 vs 10, 5 vs. 5, or 25 vs 25 - If one team is overwhelmingly stronger, it'll rush the base sooner or later. Why would that be in any way more difficult by 10 vs. 10 as opposed to 20 vs 20?

10 less lashing blades you need to evade as you try to run past them?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    A great way to combat graveyard camping, obviously, is to prevent the opposing team from being able to get anywhere near your campfire spawning area. Why the hell is this still allowed? Just make it inaccessible for the enemy team. There, problem solved.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    svekolj wrote: »
    10 less lashing blades you need to evade as you try to run past them?

...but also less lemmings jumping off the cliff with you to catch them instead of you... :^/
  • Options
    ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Bolster is never an improvment, pve or pvp. What is the point in gaining levels and supposedly getting stronger if you sometimes become weaker by doing it. You should never become weaker by gaining levels. Kindof lame that the person with full epic/legendary gear at level 60 will destroy a person in blues at level 70. The level 70 is required to change to the new gear because it is better, the level 60 laughs because he is bolstered higher than the level 70 can even get with gear. Level 60 stronger than level 70? What's the point.
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lol bolster...what are they doing now?? Fix what is broke, don't come with new gimmicks. The community clearly states what is broke. Just fix it.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I really cant find a suitable traduction for bolsters in my language...what is it supposed to do?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rayrdan wrote: »
    I really cant find a suitable traduction for bolsters in my language...what is it supposed to do?

Bolster: To increase or strengthen something.

Basically what is going to happen in Mod 6 is that those below lvl 70 will get raised to lvl 70 as was done in the pre-60 lvl pvp brackets. However, this will also apply to pve with Tiamat AFAIK.
    Our pain is self chosen.