test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Superultralow RNG Drops

zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
So this idea has been floating around my fishbowl for awhile, time to pitch it out before Mod6 release.

Consider adding various superultralow chance RNG items drops to all loot tables (except foundry). This would enrich the overall excitement of the gaming experience and its player legend and lore significantly, and not have any significant impact to the economy... Think if there was an extremely minute chance to receive a great reward at any time... and I am talking about extremely minute but real drop chances. 1 in a million, or 10 million, or 100 million.. sooo low, they'd be so low as to be impractical to hope or try for.

Getting such a reward would be a thing of rumor or legend almost...

You'd hear about the player who looted a Lostmauth Horn of Blasting off an ice troll.. or the guy who looted a Fey Panther from the Malabog castle chest.. but likely you or those around you had never had such luck.

Maybe even a few cool, unique pet or fashion items that could ONLY be found as a superultralow chance reward, such that only a handful of players in the game have them (but these should give no advantage).

Examples:

Add mobs that drop pots, scrolls, etc in open world have 1 in 10 million or 100 million chance to drop an artifact, a Rank 10 enchant, etc.
Skirmish chests have a remote 1:10,000,000 chance to drop a brilliant diamond.
Regular sKill nodes have a 1:1,000,000 chance to drop an epic profession asset or a Greater Mark of Potency.
A BoE fashion hat that can ONLY be found as a superultrarare RNG drop (watch AH price soar! talk of the town)

People still play and get excited about the lotto in real life even though the odds are absurd... this would add a dimension of excitement and depth to the game even in the routine open-world. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

"Mary Swanson: I'd say more like one out of a million."
[pause]
"Lloyd Christmas: So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!"
Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

Post edited by zeusom on

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Lower than the drops rates we have now, eh?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This would be nice but I do not think it should be items that make your character stronger (enchants, artifacts etc), but instead should be transmutes, new skins for companions, mounts, maybe even a new skin for certain races.
  • Options
    rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd like too see more chances for refining stone drops and higher quality drops, but Im not sure about 1/10 mil for a bril diamond.

personalyl I want to see more unique fashion and cosmetic armors over anything else. I like to play dressups.. lol
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would love to see more variety goodies drop off chest/mobs, the current drop pool isn't all that interesting at all :(
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    exactly what bot operators would want
    equipment must be earned not gained by luck

RNG SUCKS *** .
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I *love* this idea and I'm not sure some of you naysayers have quite grasped the concept. The odds would be so miniscule that it would never be worth trying to farm. The prize should probably be bound to account too. But imagine, if you and all your mates play the game obsessively for 3 years and once, just once, just one of you had a top-notch mount/equip/companion/enchant/whatever drop. They'd be chuffed but probably no-one in zone chat would believe them...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    and whats the point of that ? id rather have them spending the time they would waste on this bs fixing actual bugs or doing other useful stuff
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    rng drops?
    why not zen?
    -cyptic
  • Options
    bobhunter1bobhunter1 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    zeusom wrote: »
    So this idea has been floating around my fishbowl for awhile, time to pitch it out before Mod6 release.

Consider adding various superultralow chance RNG items drops to all loot tables (except foundry). This would enrich the overall excitement of the gaming experience and its player legend and lore significantly, and not have any significant impact to the economy... Think if there was an extremely minute chance to receive a great reward at any time... and I am talking about extremely minute but real drop chances. 1 in a million, or 10 million, or 100 million.. sooo low, they'd be so low as to be impractical to hope or try for.

Getting such a reward would be a thing of rumor or legend almost...

You'd hear about the player who looted a Lostmauth Horn of Blasting off an ice troll.. or the guy who looted a Fey Panther from the Malabog castle chest.. but likely you or those around you had never had such luck.

Maybe even a few cool, unique pet or fashion items that could ONLY be found as a superultralow chance reward, such that only a handful of players in the game have them (but these should give no advantage).

Examples:

Add mobs that drop pots, scrolls, etc in open world have 1 in 10 million or 100 million chance to drop an artifact, a Rank 10 enchant, etc.
    Skirmish chests have a remote 1:10,000,000 chance to drop a brilliant diamond.
    Regular sKill nodes have a 1:1,000,000 chance to drop an epic profession asset or a Greater Mark of Potency.
    A BoE fashion hat that can ONLY be found as a superultrarare RNG drop (watch AH price soar! talk of the town)

People still play and get excited about the lotto in real life even though the odds are absurd... this would add a dimension of excitement and depth to the game even in the routine open-world. What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea?

"Mary Swanson: I'd say more like one out of a million."
    [pause]
    "Lloyd Christmas: So you're telling me there's a chance... YEAH!"
    I don't think you are familiar enough with state of the game as is - there are uncontrollable number of bots farming & spamming chat channels every 15 seconds. This would further encourage and reward bots farming.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Such drop rates would be completely impractical for bots to exploit (and foundries excluded) and even for players to hope or try for. What it would do is add a depth and X-factor to the game to make worn out content that much more interesting for players.

To eliminate any bot concerns, such rewards could even come in the form of a superultrarare NPC spawn (like a lucky rabbit? ^^) that gives great rewards when chased down and captured

• Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We have that right now.

Right now, epic dungeons and even normal skirmishes have a chance to drop an artifact. All of them, not just MC/VT/LOL. But when was the last time you saw someone get a Waters from Pirate King?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    But when was the last time you saw someone get a Waters from Pirate King?

Never, but my husband pulled a Catalogue in Blacklake Terror with his new trapper HR the other week. He didn't even know you could.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited March 2015
    i think i saw an artifact drop in PK, but that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when it was worth running dungeons

now, thanks to that 5headed pile of lizard ****, nobody runs dungeons anymore
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Seen about 4-5 artis drop from dungeons. 1-2 from PK. I think I even won the one from PK, maybe not, but I did win one.

edit: No actually I think I won an arti/ or got one from a chest in sot/esot, I then AH it. In my experience, Ive seen more drop from dungeons/skimrs, than Ive seen in lockboxes.

O sorry but yah, on topic, Itd be cool to see stuff like what OP suggests drop while running the most epic of dungeons/content.

As long as they dont mess with other drop rates, meaning lower them.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I got two waters from Shores of Tuern chest two nights in a row once.
    Seen about 4-5 artis drop from dungeons. 1-2 from PK. I think I even won the one from PK, maybe not, but I did win one.

Talking about much lower drop rates but greater rewards than occasional waters/lantern/catalog here. These - you'd probably never see one and none of your friends have either. Maybe a friend of a friend caught a white rabbit once and got a superrare hat. So you heard.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I really just don't see the point of introducing more stuff into the game that nobody can actually expect to earn or see. I feel it's counterproductively dispiriting... "I'd really like to but I'll probably never...."

People who play the lottery (I don't) usually justify it as a license to daydream. They don't really expect to win, but holding a ticket allows them to think pleasant thoughts about what they'd be able to do with the money. If you don't have a ticket, you can't win, so there are no pleasant daydreams. The ticket is a means to an abstract reward in itself, for people it works on.

The Lightfoot Thief from Sword Coast Adventures is probably already that rare and people have sunk obsessively huge amounts of time into trying to farm that. All it does is make them upset that it won't drop. Dreaming about pixelcandy you can't actually obtain isn't motivating, just aggravating.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I really just don't see the point of introducing more stuff into the game that nobody can actually expect to earn or see. I feel it's counterproductively dispiriting... "I'd really like to but I'll probably never...."

People who play the lottery (I don't) usually justify it as a license to daydream. They don't really expect to win, but holding a ticket allows them to think pleasant thoughts about what they'd be able to do with the money. If you don't have a ticket, you can't win, so there are no pleasant daydreams. The ticket is a means to an abstract reward in itself, for people it works on.

The Lightfoot Thief from Sword Coast Adventures is probably already that rare and people have sunk obsessively huge amounts of time into trying to farm that. All it does is make them upset that it won't drop. Dreaming about pixelcandy you can't actually obtain isn't motivating, just aggravating.

In the case of the artifacts in dungeons/skirms. I never even think about it, it just happens, and is a cool surprise. Other things that you are funneled into trying to get it, like the arti in DR that completes a set, lockboxes etc, I get what your saying. IDK but for some reason those artis that drop in dungeon/skirm, I never think about.

Now that I think about it, Im after other things when those artis drop. SCA im only after lft (funnily enough by the time I had 4-5 epic pets, I stopped doing SCA) Lockboxes im after the big stuff.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The core 3 artifacts, random drops have never been the only or even the main way of acquiring them, since you're guaranteed to get your choice of one just for doing a simple quest and they are in lockboxes (which you always get *something* when you open one).

The random ones do function as a pleasant surprise when they happen, as opposed to other rare random items people will tear their hair out over not being able to get (Eye of Lathandar being a prime example since it can't be bought either).

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015

im a manic depressant. this game drives me nuts and your post describes exactly how i feel. its dispirating. and it sucks. i hate not being able ot get artis i saw one drop once. jsut one ever. and it was a waters i assume dits a greed run lets all go greed everyone else went need. since then ive been dyeing to get one to drop for me i dont even care if i keep it hell ill give it away for free. i just want one.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    im a manic depressant. this game drives me nuts and your post describes exactly how i feel. its dispirating. and it sucks. i hate not being able ot get artis i saw one drop once. jsut one ever. and it was a waters i assume dits a greed run lets all go greed everyone else went need. since then ive been dyeing to get one to drop for me i dont even care if i keep it hell ill give it away for free. i just want one.

Dont ever assume greed, ever, not even in a prior agreed upon decision in that group or even say a legit run. Wait to be the last one and follow suit. Unless you dont care about the item. NEVER ASSUME GREED. ASSUME NEED, but be the last to roll.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Or if everyone seems to be trying to wait to be last, ask.

Or wait long enough to see if more than one person rolls "need" before you do.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    miomans0miomans0 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    isn't there is already a chance to get artifact from normal dungeons and i never seen or heard about someone getting them