test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why i think PVP should be put on stand by

matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
edited March 2015 in PvP Discussion
Hi fellow players!

Many will now throw rocks at me, but take all my words as it comes from an avid PVP lover, from one who is here since nearly game's beginning and who has all classes.

I write this in sadness, cause the combat system of the game is one of the best on market and a true and properly managed PVP would rule, but in current state it is scaring off more players, than attracting them and i tell this as a GM.

I think in current state PVP in this game is more of a shame to this game and the genre DnD.

Sadly DEVs show no support for this game type since nearly 2 years, nothing has been done, zero, not to improve, but at least make this an enjoyable part of the game.

Just put your hand to your heart and look in a mirror, do YOU, my fellow decent player do you enjoy this?

I know many types of people are going to read this and everything i say goes out to the legit and decent players, ofc not those, who use PVP in it's utterly broken current state to build a huge ego for themselves or their guilds.

Just a few examples for my opinion:

- exploiters, i could write a longer book, than Tolkien about the exploits i all have heard from fellow PVP players, guildies and on other sites. I have seen so much, recent things today, that my stomach feels sometimes, like in a roller coaster

- AD and Glory farmers, these can be either humans or mostly bots, they give nothing about team play, your fun, ranking, trolling, cheating as long as they get that AD or Glory to AD

- no separated PUG vs Premade queue option

- PUGs mostly in 7-8k or under GS, rest assured changing GS to item lvl won't make a difference, just other name of the child

- too many trolling behavior

Done PVP today in 3 tries, every time i had to jump out and deal with the 30 min cause i felt so sick seeing this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over and over. No don't tell me to stop or quit PVP, it should be fixed. I work for one of the world's largest industrial companies and we don't tell the customers from Mercedes Benz not to use their brakes or use their feet like the Flintstones do. Heck if something would be broken in the manufacturing process since 2 years heads would roll.

Example coming up, queued for PVP, "wonderful" matchmaking put me together with a "decent" looking party, ofc 8k wasn't absent lol and all they done was standing at campfire, they didn't even started to try to at least do something. Not that usual <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, that they capture only base and then go camp fire warming, NO, they didn't even start. I asked them, what the heck is this? I was told Tea party...

Do i need to comment on that, i think no, what is this all about, should this be called a part of a game?

- the population of decent PVP players is so low, that we had to ask more time people in zone to join

- people only come for AD, not for enjoyment of a good fight

- utterly broken and non-existent balance between classes

This alone isn't a huge problem in PVE, but here it is!

- TR phenomenon. No i won't bash now on you TR players, got one too, but hey c'mon first that disgusting perma thing, now nearly permas and 1 shot 10 year old kiddies roaming the battlefield for easy prey, pffff....

But i have to be objective as much as i can, DEVs make a huge mistake from Mod to Mod by favoring only 2 classes and the rest can go and either suffer or the toon can be down graded to AD slave. I know this has marketing issues too, build a new toon and spend on it again. Not very gentleman like, but i could live with it, my least problem, i am an alt maniac.

- no brackets

- no solo leader board

Cool, than throw that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and uberly exploited leader board to a huge bin. First dozen pages are based on simple exploits and PUG matches are a disaster, with above mentioned problems. Anyway it doesn't show or represent anything, except a huge ego of those exploiters.

- PVP campaign is not tailored to individual classes

- only two maps and one game mode

No comment here either...

Currently this is on my mind, but if i would think sharp i could come up with more easily.

Since there isn't any hope that Devs will show any real love towards this game type, i think it would be better to hand out that daily 4k-8k or weekly 16k somwhere else in the game and put PVP on stand by until it will get fixed.

Current state of PVP is not worthy of the name Dungeons & Dragons!

Thank you all for your time!
The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
David Icke

Post edited by matthiasthehun76 on

Comments

• Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well I think it is important to recognize PVP for what it is in this game. It is not a sport, or anything close to a sport. It is full of a bunch of amateurs running around farming it to get glory and/or AD, who have little or no idea what they are doing. This represents about 90+% of all PVP matches. Just recognize this, and don't let it get to you.
  • Options
    bashteros1234bashteros1234 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sadly DEVs show no support for this game type since nearly 2 years, nothing has been done, zero, not to improve, but at least make this an enjoyable part of the game.

You are forgetting module 3 (iwd). After 2 pure pve modules, cryptic/pwe decided to follow the pvp product manager.
    They implemented a pvp compaign, 2 open world pvp areas, leaderboard(?) and to "motivate" pve player to do pvp they didn't implement a new dungeon and created only a skirmish. These pvp extensions were substantial for a small development crew and obviously it was a fail and they couldn't monetize it.

After module 3 I think every time the pvp product manager presents his ideas at the round table, the other product manager
    mumble "open-world pvp fail" or "empty open-world pvp" remind him of the loss and ignore his pvp ideas.

For module 6 they promised an improvement for the queue system - I think from a cost/effort point of view,
    that is a good feature to work on for the dev-team.
  • Options
    bushman1313bushman1313 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hi fellow players!

Since there isn't any hope that Devs will show any real love towards this game type, i think it would be better to hand out that daily 4k-8k or weekly 16k somwhere else in the game and put PVP on stand by until it will get fixed.

Current state of PVP is not worthy of the name Dungeons & Dragons!

Thank you all for your time!
    PvP was my last effort to continue and it was fairly fun untill mod5 hitted in...

Just reset PvP leaderboard once per month and make rewards less attractive so players play for fun.

Leaderboard reset will make some competiton between TR´s and then only best exploiters can stay top, until new reset.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You are forgetting module 3 (iwd). After 2 pure pve modules, cryptic/pwe decided to follow the pvp product manager.
    They implemented a pvp compaign, 2 open world pvp areas, leaderboard(?) and to "motivate" pve player to do pvp they didn't implement a new dungeon and created only a skirmish. These pvp extensions were substantial for a small development crew and obviously it was a fail and they couldn't monetize it.

After module 3 I think every time the pvp product manager presents his ideas at the round table, the other product manager
    mumble "open-world pvp fail" or "empty open-world pvp" remind him of the loss and ignore his pvp ideas.

For module 6 they promised an improvement for the queue system - I think from a cost/effort point of view,

you know whats fun?
    people like me and many others remember mod 3 as the best one until now.
    not my fault if our feedbacks werent heard.
    companions, no timers for he, no instance jumping, no rewards for pvping for an otherwise perfect mod
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    To make the PVP rewards less attractive, you'd have to remove all of the PVP artifacts. Because that is pretty much the only reason I PVP now, to get skull artifacts.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    To make the PVP rewards less attractive, you'd have to remove all of the PVP artifacts. Because that is pretty much the only reason I PVP now, to get skull artifacts.

they should just remove ads.
    with a good bracketing system i have nothing against people getting rewarded.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Why remove the ADs only? If you're going to remove rewards, then remove them all. If you removed just the ADs but left the artifacts, I would still bring my 20k CW with 30k HP in, just to get glory. I don't think you'd want this CW on your team.
  • Options
    malfoirmalfoir Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    Why remove the ADs only? If you're going to remove rewards, then remove them all. If you removed just the ADs but left the artifacts, I would still bring my 20k CW with 30k HP in, just to get glory. I don't think you'd want this CW on your team.
    ...what, Who play TR -match with CW, just switch TR and hunt newcomers like everyone do, my "boonless" TR with rank10's is fun (for me), :cool: .

sometimes I get some competition, but then I run away and hunt easy prey. :cool:
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Yes BUT let's look at how IWD pvp was implemented. In one word: POORLY. Once you're in an instance you're stuck there unless you exit through the front door. Virtually impossible to get groups together. BID has been bugged since day one. Rewards virtually non-existent. Leaderboard was one big FAIL. Exploits were and still are allowed to manipulate it.

The biggest reason the pvp population is so low on Dragon server is because pvp is one big mess and has sh!tty rewards. I wasn't at first but now I'm glad the pvp dailies are being removed. What incentive is there for people to do pvp? ZERO. It's not fun unless you're a godmode TR.

I said it before and I'll say it time and time again. Mod 3 pvp was as good as it got. GWF roar was the biggest problem and needed to be tackled. Instead they decided to do a complete overhaul of the classes and screwed up pvp beyond belief. I did pvp every single day from when I joined the game towards the end of Mod 2 and all through Mod 3. When Mod 4 hit pvp went down the toilet. I haven't even set foot in domination or GG since Mod 5 launched. I'm sure many others feel the same and that is why pvp is dying a slow death.

PvP has the potential to be superawesome in this game - there will be many who say that pvp has no place in D&D (that's another argument completely) - but it will never realise its full potential because, quite frankly, the devs have no clue about pvp in general and five Mods more than prove my point.

I speak as someone who lived and breathed pvp in WoW for six years. Besides a few balancing issues, mainly with Death Knights, Blizzard knew what they were doing when it came to pvp. Cryptic does not.

Edited to add: It has been suggested before but durations and effects of powers should be reduced by at least half in pvp to fix balancing. It has been done with very few things in this game, I cannot fathom why they don't follow suit with everything else. In WoW if there is a problem with a certain spell or ability causing issues in pvp they fix it by implementing this exact method and guess what? IT WORKS!
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i think 80% of the players don´t even intend do do PVP , only want their ad, not having one point in tenacity, its redicules
    i expect at least that these ppl just stay out, or buy blue stuff in the ah
    doing pvp, not wearing any kind of equip is a little bit uncommen and makes things worse, so if there will be brackets some time, just put in some gear brackets as well, so u don´t have to suffer from these trolls
    only benefit they see is 4k ad, nothing else
    make beginner PVP stuff cheap or better make content in a campaign to earn it at the end, afterwards they can take part, have decent gear and noone can be upset playing with half-naked mates
  • Options
    benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I still enjoy PVP most of the time on my CW and SW, but I don't have a high GS and I only queue solo so I don't have the high expectations that ruin the fun for a lot of people. I'm happy if I win more than I lose and stay in the top 100 pages. I will uninstall this game if PVP is disabled for any significant length of time.
  • Options
    seteleecheteseteleechete Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Fix the queue system... Nothing else is needed, other things could be enjoyable but fixing the queue system is the only thing needed to make pvp playable. It wouldn't be hard just group players to play vs ppl of similar rank on the leaderboard. Something like only group ppl within 10 pages then expand to 20 if no game after half a minute then 30 ect. GS won't matter ppl with higher gs will either meet ppl of same gs or ppl with higher skill to make up for lower gs. = games will be even and fun anyway. If you are grouping just add the pages and divide to get a page. Yes this system is still abusable and not an ideal solution but considering how little support pvp got I think it is a quick and viable one to implement. I am a pvp junkie and I love the pvp of this game but I can't stand the queue system so i am going on forums every few months hoping it will be fixed someday so I can play again )=
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    lirithiel wrote: »
    PvP has the potential to be superawesome in this game - there will be many who say that pvp has no place in D&D (that's another argument completely) - but it will never realise its full potential because, quite frankly, the devs have no clue about pvp in general and five Mods more than prove my point.

I speak as someone who lived and breathed pvp in WoW for six years. Besides a few balancing issues, mainly with Death Knights, Blizzard knew what they were doing when it came to pvp. Cryptic does not.

Edited to add: It has been suggested before but durations and effects of powers should be reduced by at least half in pvp to fix balancing. It has been done with very few things in this game, I cannot fathom why they don't follow suit with everything else. In WoW if there is a problem with a certain spell or ability causing issues in pvp they fix it by implementing this exact method and guess what? IT WORKS!

That's why i am sad, cause game has huge potential, which is sadly wasted and that's why i try to open threads like this, but sadly DEVs don't tend to our problems.

I work on daily basis with real top notch DEVs in the industry (Mercedes Benz, Bosch and so on...) and let me tell you just one thing, which is of course elementary, DEVs are also humans, one is smarter and more skilled, the other... well no. Like in this game, i always have to bow before the ambient DEV department, but the last 2 years taught me to have way less respect for the PVP, the combat and class balance DEVs, cause last two do a very poor job.
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    ivantomdisplayivantomdisplay Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Simply, remove all the PvE gear, implement PvP one, that can be earned only trough PvP, and can be used only in PvP. Remove all the PvE rewards from PvP. Problem solved.
    [10:49] [Combat (Self)] Your Proton Barrage deals 96581 (43411) Proton(Critical) to Seto.
    Poor soul didnt have time to log out.
  • Options
    overdriver13overdriver13 Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Almost not even worth writing but this is one of the big reasons the game is dying. It is among the many inexplicable actions of the devs that pvp is such a fail. IWD is fail, was poorly implemented. No one asked for an IWD type campaign and so no one is really playing it. The elo that was implemented at that time is fail. How could they not know that there simply is not enough players for their elo system to even function?? It is scary that s much dev time could have been devoted to something so poorly researched and planned.
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A way to fix two under-developed resources at the same time:

Add a checkbox option to Foundry quests, set by the author. [ ] PvP Quest

Add a few drop-downs if that setting is chosen.
    Number of players:
    -- 1-on-1 (team to enter with chosen foe, or queue to be randomly assigned)
    -- 5-vs-5 (added sub-drop: premade or queue)
    -- Open (10 people) (queue only)
    Mode:
    -- Domination (as in-game)
    -- Battle Royal (timed, kills/assists = points)
    -- Castle Assault (timed, team A must keep team B from reaching waypoint)
    -- There Can Be Only One (respawn returns to locked-out campfire, fight until only one remains)
    ... or whatever else they might want to add.

Then add in a bunch of new resources for authors to really build amazing maps, fix some of those Foundry bugs that have been lurking around for well over a year, and add a Foundry reward system.

Result? New things to do for the PvP crowd, and long-needed updates for Foundry.
  • Options
    mirrorballsmirrorballs Member Posts: 877 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Simply, remove all the PvE gear, implement PvP one, that can be earned only trough PvP, and can be used only in PvP. Remove all the PvE rewards from PvP. Problem solved.

Doesn't solve anything.

It's a temporary remedy at best, which after a bit of time, begins to present more profound and serious problems.
  • Options
    svekoljsvekolj Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2015
    Example coming up, queued for PVP, "wonderful" matchmaking put me together with a "decent" looking party, ofc 8k wasn't absent lol and all they done was standing at campfire, they didn't even started to try to at least do something. Not that usual <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, that they capture only base and then go camp fire warming, NO, they didn't even start. I asked them, what the heck is this? I was told Tea party...

Do i need to comment on that, i think no, what is this all about, should this be called a part of a game?
    !

well it is a massive multiplayer online ROLEPLAYING game, they can pretend their characters are having a tea party as much as they like :D

otherwise I agree, pvp is a mess.
  • Options
    nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why i think PVP should be put on stand by

You don't like to play your TR alt?
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    nazghul22 wrote: »

I can't imagine that he does no, because what challenge is there to playing a TR in pvp? Going up against an opponent that can't see you for most of the battle and when he does he can't do anything anyways because he is constantly dazed. Oodles of fun yes...Perfect tool for the 10 year old troll.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    martianmnhuntermartianmnhunter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thank you for your feedback, our DEV team will look into this and get back to you shortly.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Thank you for your feedback, our DEV team will look into this and get back to you shortly.

LOL if only! Been such a long time since we even heard from one. Mayhap they're already working on a new game...Baldur's Gate 3 anyone?
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    rotatorkufrotatorkuf Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    too bad all of this will fall on deaf ears
  • Options
    joan234joan234 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A very large reason the PvP will fail and continue to fail. They can not balance classes for PvP and maintain that classes viability in PvE content. The two bleed over way to much the way they run it. Killing the actual game meaning PvE content for what most gamers look at as a secondary pass time meaning PvP is not only foolish not only has no place in the lore of the game not only dissuades New and older players not only can be looked at as wasted investment in time and money that can be better spent on more attractive content. But as a whole its a bad marketing strategy to small of a player base in D&D want PvP content. You've said it yourself not enough players give a flying leap about PvP. Icewind fail taught them that PvE players will not tolerate any forced PvP content. Every campaign is 100% complete other then dragon well and I'm working on that . The PvP campaign has sat at zero percent and will most likely stay that way till the servers go offline. They learned a PvP player will run and enjoy PvE content. But a PvE player will snub their nose at almost any kind of PvP.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    joan234 wrote: »
    A very large reason the PvP will fail and continue to fail. They can not balance classes for PvP and maintain that classes viability in PvE content. The two bleed over way to much the way they run it. Killing the actual game meaning PvE content for what most gamers look at as a secondary pass time meaning PvP is not only foolish not only has no place in the lore of the game not only dissuades New and older players not only can be looked at as wasted investment in time and money that can be better spent on more attractive content. But as a whole its a bad marketing strategy to small of a player base in D&D want PvP content. You've said it yourself not enough players give a flying leap about PvP. Icewind fail taught them that PvE players will not tolerate any forced PvP content. Every campaign is 100% complete other then dragon well and I'm working on that . The PvP campaign has sat at zero percent and will most likely stay that way till the servers go offline. They learned a PvP player will run and enjoy PvE content. But a PvE player will snub their nose at almost any kind of PvP.

i would not do any pve campaign without pvp
  • Options
    imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    joan234 wrote: »
    Icewind fail taught them that PvE players will not tolerate any forced PvP content. Every campaign is 100% complete other then dragon well and I'm working on that . The PvP campaign has sat at zero percent and will most likely stay that way till the servers go offline.

Same here. I have zero interest in PvP or PvP campaigns, and thoroughly dislike having to enter PvP to get something for my PvE character (which is why back in CoX there were certain things I didn't have, because you had to enter one of the open PvP zones to get it).
    I consider PvP boring. Why? No story. Now, to be fair, I don't like dailies either, and for the exact same reason. Grinding out the same thing over and over again to "advance" your character isn't my idea of fun. Without a continuing story, it loses my interest pretty quickly.
    This is why my favorite part of the game is Foundry. Every time I go there I can encounter something new. I just wish they gave us rewards for doing it, because if I want to improve my stats, or get gear to use, sell, or give to another character, I have to go elsewhere to do it, and be bored in the process.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    nazghul22 wrote: »

I do of course, but as @lirithiel pointed out i don't like easy wins, may sound funny, but i like to work for my bread. I don't play perma, as an old school DnD player i thought at it as disgusting and really unfair and secondly i have my other toons too and i don't want to act like a bad parent, who forgets his other children for just one.

Lot of time has passed by since i even could make a TR (correction had two, but deleted them, hated perma), cause i like to play both aspects of the game and for long time a PVP TR was only a 100% perma. Now i can play a combat TR, but still too easy and really nothing more than trolling, even as a combat, with zero perma points.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

David Icke

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Same here. I have zero interest in PvP or PvP campaigns, and thoroughly dislike having to enter PvP to get something for my PvE character (which is why back in CoX there were certain things I didn't have, because you had to enter one of the open PvP zones to get it).
    I consider PvP boring. Why? No story. Now, to be fair, I don't like dailies either, and for the exact same reason. Grinding out the same thing over and over again to "advance" your character isn't my idea of fun. Without a continuing story, it loses my interest pretty quickly.
    This is why my favorite part of the game is Foundry. Every time I go there I can encounter something new. I just wish they gave us rewards for doing it, because if I want to improve my stats, or get gear to use, sell, or give to another character, I have to go elsewhere to do it, and be bored in the process.

Yes you made a good point here.

One huge problem is the fact, that artifacts, that are sometimes elemental for a good PVE character can only be obtained in PVP, like the skull.

This forces a PVE orientated player to participate in a thing, he or she doesn't like and we all know, how a forced thing turns out.
    Robert E. Lee

Winston Churchill

David Icke