test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking through dev and players post on Druids

gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I did a couple of searches and still yet have not found a answer to why the Paladin class and not the Druid. After playing the Pally up on preview, I still really don't seem to understand the need to put a hybrid tank/healing class within this game while all three of the classes we have ingame is not functioning like they are suppose to (I have a GWF and Cleric to.).

Maybe I am missing the whole picture to what module 6 is offering (possible) true trinity within game,but I thought that would come with the addition of more classes and the limitation of their überness being down graded (nerfing of life steal stat in module 6).

Let me get back to my question, since I'm starting to ramble. Can anyone show me as to why they decided on Paladin, instead of Druid?

Thanks.
I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
Post edited by gomok72 on

Comments

• djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Easy to implement, modify the DC and GF template rather then create one from scratch. The previous summoning attempts was SW puppets and was a fiasco in the beginning they went back to the drawing board on that one. As for the few shape shifting attempts GF and GWF are lackluster.
  • iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If I had to guess why it probably has something to do with the last two classes being ranged classes , maybe they wanted to add something different although I'm not sure what role Druid fills in D&D , are they a ranged caster or can they do ranged and melee?

All I know is that I am pretty disappointed because I was looking forwards to druid being something totally new and different with shape changing and stuff but instead we just get a class that seems to be slightly similar to GF.
  • alex1essalex1ess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I would guess Wild Shape is the biggest culprit here. It is a fairly involved mechanic that no game(DnD that is) has really done well so far outside the realm of the PnP game. The Paladin is fairly straight forward (and a very popular class in it´s own right) so it is more logical to go with that option.

In fact there is a good chance we might not see a druid for many years.. if at all.
    Want to peek inside my mind The Soapbox
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I imagine it just meshed better with the devs plans for the game.

But there is no point dwelling upon it. It's a done deal. Maybe a druid is already taking shape for a future mod, maybe not.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My guess: they had limited time, and they put out a straightforward class that was faster to make and balance (recycle most GF assets, add healing powers), rather than an entirely new shapeshifter/summoner type class with complex mechanics.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Simple. What could be done with the least amount of developers and/or effort.

Paladin - reuse fighter animations, add some textures and a few particle effects

Druid - new druid animations, new cpmbat mechanics, new summonings, new spell balancing, etc.
  • thesensaithesensai Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    a few points:

Shifter druid (the only specialization remotely original with druids as a class)is a dps class, we have 5 or so dps already, we have one tank and healer. logically we should have more than one choice for tank and/or healer.

Paladins are rich with lore in the forgotten realms setting. Probably more so than any other setting. Old gods are coming back at this point in the timeline too, so this is the ideal time for paladin.

We will see druid at some point. I predict the next classes will be druid, monk, bard, as the last 'iconic' classes to exist in every edition. Maybe barbarian, but GWF basically is barbarian so who knows. Which will be next will depend on circumstances, but I doubt highly we will see the more exotic or edition specific class until the iconic ones are done, simply due to popularity.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    There has been no word on why they chose any class over another. Please give feedback on desires classes and races in the official threads for such. Thanks!

[h=3]Sticky: [Read Before Posting] Reference Thread on Known Issues & Hot Topics.[/h]
    [Hot Topics] Desire for New Classes & Races Feedback

. . . We have two non-sticky threads that serve as semi-official feedback threads on the wishes of players who want to see certain races or classes added to the game.

. . . Please use one of these threads to express one's desire for a new class or race. Each time a new race or class is added to the game, we will close the old relevant thread and start a new poll on that topic.

Some Forum-Official Feedback Threads:

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator
    [ RoC | ToS | Support ]
This discussion has been closed.