test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

In light of the amazing XB1 controls paired with its UI combo... Coming to PC please?

zazaajizazaaji Member Posts: 186
The XB1 controls and UI pairing are just absolutely amazing in my opinion. Is there any chance the XB1 controls with its UI can come to the PC version as well? I know for a fact that this would entice a number of my friends without an XB1 to play Neverwinter on PC. They absolutely love Tera Online and FFXIV because of their native Xbox Controller support.

Is there anything stopping this from being done? It would make the PC version so much better, and it'd make me actually want to play both the XB1 and PC versions, rather than just the XB1 version.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wowdropoutwowdropout Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I second this request. I have friends that play the PC version, and will now have a group to play with on the Xbox. Saddy, I had to stop playing on the PC due to back problems. Controller support would allow me to double dip on both platforms.
  • hearthiehearthie Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I used to play Neverwinter on PC with an Xbox controller, Xpadder is amazing software for allowing things like that to happen and ridiculously easy to setup. I know its no substitute for actual support, but worked great for me.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I would love full controller support for my Microsoft XBOX Controller for Windows as well!
  • twackerstwackers Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2015
    Since I can't post a thread, I'll ask here.

I've never really played Neverwinter prior to the console version. Is it normal to have only three "Main" abilities and around 2 power abilities? I noticed I can't move basic abilities to my LB+ layout.
  • swaney81swaney81 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    I would love full controller support for my Microsoft XBOX Controller for Windows as well!

Me also! Please bring controller support to PC. Now that it's on console is there really any excuse why it can't be done???
  • zazaajizazaaji Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2015
    twackers wrote: »
    Since I can't post a thread, I'll ask here.

I've never really played Neverwinter prior to the console version. Is it normal to have only three "Main" abilities and around 2 power abilities? I noticed I can't move basic abilities to my LB+ layout.

Yes. There are 2 At Will powers (bound to RT and LT on XB1, Left and Right click on PC), 3 Encounters (bound to XBY on XB1, QER on PC), and 2 Dailies (bound to LB+X and LB+Y on XB1, 1 and 2 on PC) for the main powers. You'll also get class mechanic powers, artifact powers, etc over time. Same between XB1 and PC.
  • twackerstwackers Member Posts: 34
    edited February 2015
    zazaaji wrote: »
    Yes. There are 2 At Will powers (bound to RT and LT on XB1, Left and Right click on PC), 3 Encounters (bound to XBY on XB1, QER on PC), and 2 Dailies (bound to LB+X and LB+Y on XB1, 1 and 2 on PC) for the main powers. You'll also get class mechanic powers, artifact powers, etc over time. Same between XB1 and PC.
    Appreciate the help.
  • imunrealimunreal Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I already play PC games on a sofa (using the couchmaster, best thing ever) and having a controller for NM but the graphics/performance of PC would orgasmic!
    dogbestfriend.png
  • sirjohndewsirjohndew Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    a lot of us that would play this game, can't play it without a controller, the keyboard and mouse is way to painful if you've been playing on the PC since the early 90's
  • twinstripeuktwinstripeuk Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If anyone has Xpadder, I've got a setup that pretty much mirrors the XB1 layout. Playing using it now, and it works just as well
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    swaney81 wrote: »
    Me also! Please bring controller support to PC. Now that it's on console is there really any excuse why it can't be done???

it's already possible with a third party software, you may find the tutorial on youtube typing "xpadder neverwinter". I dont know if it's allowed but many people already do it in game.
    i wanted to try it with league of legends to play from the bed on a 50' full hd but i cant read well so i gave up
  • twinstripeuktwinstripeuk Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't know if 'allowed' really comes into it, as it's just mapping keys and mouse movements to the controller, so generates no more of an advantage than clever key binding.

The only part that might fall into that area is the ability on say, Xpadder, to chain multiple key presses or combinations to a certain button. Even then, due to the way the At-Will, Encounter and Dailys work, you'd likely have to wait after a chain of 4 for everything to cooldown, and you can achieve the same effect with keybind yet again.

No (unfair) advantage at all in PvP really, and none whatsoever in PvE, other than the fact you'll play for longer because it's much less stress on the fingers, :)
  • keithgibbkeithgibb Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm using glovepie which is a bit trickier to set up but once you get it right it is just like playing with native controller support. If anyone uses glovepie and wants a copy of the script I'm using please PM me.
  • keithgibbkeithgibb Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I agree that using a script that acts as a macro should not be allowed. If you look at glovepie it doesn't do this. It only allows you to assign one xbox button to one keyboard or mouse button. How is that wrong?
  • thyralionthyralion Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rodandog wrote: »
    Controllers are not allowed in neverwinter pc game so i would assume ....

Proof please? Never heard that before.
  • iamruneiamrune Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thyralion wrote: »
    Proof please? Never heard that before.

He's pulling it out of his assets.

Controller was supported but not complete in NW PC beta, but pulled with a promise of "returning soon".. and it never came back. I quit playing NW because of it, my Xpadder profiles never did work out as well as the native support did, mostly due to movement controls.

I've been harping on the issue ever since, long before PC version went live. Would be outstanding to get PC controller support back, new UI or not.
  • dikawolfdikawolf Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rodandog wrote: »
    Controllers are not allowed in neverwinter pc game so i would assume all that have admitted using one on these boards will be banned, as for advantage in pvp there most certainly is when you press one button to set off all skills. As far as i am concerned it should not be allowed, its a pc game not xbox.

If it wasn't allowed, why is there a sticky on how to implement such controllers on the forum http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?51581-gt-Microsoft-XBOX-Controller-for-Windows-Configuation-lt. Xpadder is my goto now for every MMO I play (even when they do have controller support like CO), map along with keybinds, it makes MMOs much more pleasurable to play.. If you're sticking with keyboard only well that's really on you, though I personally could never play like that again.

Addendum: I just reread the TOS, and there are NO stipulations preventing the use of game controller mappers in it.

Also be sure to check out my DeviantArt page!
  • capcoldasicecapcoldasice Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If anyone has Xpadder, I've got a setup that pretty much mirrors the XB1 layout. Playing using it now, and it works just as well
    i couldn't get it to work for me, i was using a Xbox one controller.
    Xpadder would work on my desktop but not ingame.
  • dikawolfdikawolf Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i couldn't get it to work for me, i was using a Xbox one controller.
    Xpadder would work on my desktop but not ingame.

This is because NWO runs in administrator mode. To get Xpadder to work on it, you have to run NWO until you're in game, then instead of just launching Xpadder, right click the icon and select Run as administrator.

Also be sure to check out my DeviantArt page!
  • capcoldasicecapcoldasice Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thanks .......