test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: Turn off XP gain option

ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
edited February 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
I'd really love to have an option to Turn off the XP gain on my character.

Just go in Options, turn off the gain and I can do missions, professions and others without fearing going over my friends' or quests' levels.

This has been in other games and the lack of it is often discouraging me from playing as I love to the quests in order or keep the same level as friends.
Post edited by ghostmatter on

Comments

• quetumquetum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Or how about an option to drop the effective level/gearscore of a character to run lower level content with friends.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem with it, is that you get people then staying at (for example) level 19 with BiS, and rank 10's etc just to troll new players in pvp. While this can happen anyways, the one saving grace is that they do level.
  • stah01stah01 Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    charononus wrote: »
    The problem with it, is that you get people then staying at (for example) level 19 with BiS, and rank 10's etc just to troll new players in pvp. While this can happen anyways, the one saving grace is that they do level.

This happens anyways. Why does turning off XP somehow change this. This should be an option with the new level change.
    GShBCGl.jpg
    edited February 2015
    stah01 wrote: »
    This happens anyways. Why does turning off XP somehow change this. This should be an option with the new level change.

Because if they never level the concentration increases until it reaches critical mass and the system completely implodes.
  • wildwolf8wildwolf8 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    your friend can share any quests with you, no matter what level they are. just party up and have them share the quest. there are a few where this doesn't work, but for those, just follow until they get past that particular quest, and the next one will be able to be shared. if gear is the issue, just remove some of your gear so you are not overpowering the monsters at that level.
  • bakaslambakaslam Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I love this idea.
    Leveling up is too easy, and they also do "XP Weekends". It happened for a couple of my character that I ended up over-leveling, having to do PVP with a real lower Gear than the others.

With the other character I ended up not doing Leadership or PVP untill level 60 to avoid this problem (and it was still hard to stay in the right level range).
    » Hogs of War «

~ Adam | Trickster Rogue | Master Infiltrator Saboteur
    ~ Essence | Hunter Ranger | Pathfinder Trapper
    ~ Veyl | Scourge Warlock | Soulbinder Fury
    ~ Abel | Trickster Rogue | Master Infiltrator Executioner

Waiting for DRUID and MONK!
  • pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Just go in Options, turn off the gain and I can do missions, professions and others without fearing going over my friends' or quests' levels.

This has been in other games and the lack of it is often discouraging me from playing as I love to the quests in order or keep the same level as friends.

Absolutely not. Then lowbie PVP twinking would get completely out of hand.
  • ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't play XP weekends because of the boosts. I haven't used my XP boost items since beta either.

How would it affect PvP? People getting better items? They can already by playing multiple characters.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    stah01 wrote: »

It will happen a whole lot more if the option can be turned off. Plus, I don't think OP's reasoning warrants this feature to be implemented to be honest.
    How would it affect PvP? People getting better items? They can already by playing multiple characters.

Someone already answered this with explicit details above.

to add: Can you imagine a level 30 toon having multiple boons and a legendary artifact? With the option to turn off EXP, you can achieve that in that you only have to buy 1 legendary artifact.
    edited February 2015
    Couldn't it turn off the boons and artifact leveling then? Honestly, I find Neverwinter unpleasant to level because of this. I avoid double XP weekends like the plague. I'm sure the developers could find another solution.
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is another example of PvP and PvE being in direct conflict.

It is quite possible to outlevel the lower level zones while still completing the quests, and that's not even with double xp weekends or magic underpants or anything like that.

Solution: Create a new server. Make one server PvE only, and the other PvP. Give people on the PvE only server the option to turn off xp gain.
    As an added bonus, set up different power effects for the two servers. That way, you can continually "rebalance" the PvP side all you want without negatively impacting the PvE side.

Yeah, I know, this would never happen, but I can wish. I'd love to be on a server where they can make decisions about game play without having to wonder "how will people abuse this in PvP?"
    edited February 2015
    Solution: Create a new server.

There's not enough players to warrant a new server. This server alone is getting smaller and smaller.
  • kevopekevope Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    pointsman wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Then lowbie PVP twinking would get completely out of hand.

It already is and it's the flawed design that enables this. If they stopped encouraging twinks by allowing them to wear epic enchantments and perfects, this would help but then PVE'ers would cry and complain as they like doing it for lvling up.
    edited February 2015

It is quite possible to outlevel the lower level zones while still completing the quests, and that's not even with double xp weekends or magic underpants or anything like that.

Solution: Create a new server. Make one server PvE only, and the other PvP. Give people on the PvE only server the option to turn off xp gain.
    As an added bonus, set up different power effects for the two servers. That way, you can continually "rebalance" the PvP side all you want without negatively impacting the PvE side.

Yeah, I know, this would never happen, but I can wish. I'd love to be on a server where they can make decisions about game play without having to wonder "how will people abuse this in PvP?"

Oh right because people that PVE never ever abuse anything, such innocent angels. Nice picture you painted but it's not an accurate portrayal. PVEers kick, exploit and also abuse those perfect vorpals just to make their lives easier.

Sorry but ....isn't this game super easy to lvl up in anyway? Why should PVE'ers have perfect weapon enchants and rank 10's? Are you that lazy?
    edited February 2015
    kevope wrote: »
    Oh right because people that PVE never ever abuse anything, such innocent angels. Nice picture you painted but it's not an accurate portrayal. PVEers kick, exploit and also abuse those perfect vorpals just to make their lives easier.

Sorry but ....isn't this game super easy to lvl up in anyway? Why should PVE'ers have perfect weapon enchants and rank 10's? Are you that lazy?

Did I at any point say that PvE players don't exploit? No. You put those words in my mouth. But PvE exploit doesn't drive their game decisions unless it affects the zen shop. PvP, on the other hand, seems to be the source of almost every significant change to the powers, feats, and other abilities of characters.

And yes, this game is super easy to level up in, which was THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE THREAD. Some of us would rather have the option that it wasn't.

As to perfects and 10s... I have neither, because I don't exploit, and I have a life.
    edited February 2015
    Did I at any point say that PvE players don't exploit? No. You put those words in my mouth. But PvE exploit doesn't drive their game decisions unless it affects the zen shop. PvP, on the other hand, seems to be the source of almost every significant change to the powers, feats, and other abilities of characters.

And yes, this game is super easy to level up in, which was THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE THREAD. Some of us would rather have the option that it wasn't.

As to perfects and 10s... I have neither, because I don't exploit, and I have a life.

How would it benefit PVE'ers if they didn't lvl up? No what you're doing is the same old usual tired "gimme gimme but not for something I don't like...pvp!" Keep things in tact for my interests only! Something common in the pve world. IF you havent noticed, pvpers have to wait a LONNNG time for new stuff for their interests while PVE'ers get new content always. These powers you mention to benefit pvp only? That is laughable. Combat rangers are nerfed in pvp but wilds medicine still works for pve only. The most certainly do not have pvp in mind when adjusting powers as many find those that were adjusted insane in pvp while we get to listen to PVE'ers asking "IS pvp dead yet?? As if pvpers don't belong here.
    edited February 2015
    kevope wrote: »
    How would it benefit PVE'ers if they didn't lvl up? No what you're doing is the same old usual tired "gimme gimme but not for something I don't like...pvp!" Keep things in tact for my interests only! Something common in the pve world. IF you havent noticed, pvpers have to wait a LONNNG time for new stuff for their interests while PVE'ers get new content always. These powers you mention to benefit pvp only? That is laughable. Combat rangers are nerfed in pvp but wilds medicine still works for pve only. The most certainly do not have pvp in mind when adjusting powers as many find those that were adjusted insane in pvp while we get to listen to PVE'ers asking "IS pvp dead yet?? As if pvpers don't belong here.

Seriously? You have to wait a long time for stuff? Don't tell me about waiting for new stuff for the part of the game you like, I'm a FOUNDRY AUTHOR.

New content always for PvE? Repetetive grind-fests do nothing for me. Performing the same mind-numbing tasks over and over again to "progress" in a "campaign" is not what I play for. The only real campaign in the game is the story that unfolds over the lower levels, because it's just that - an unfolding story.

How would the OPTION to reduce xp gain benefit PvE players?
    1) Not outleveling content while you're still completing the quests. Yes, some of us actually like to EXPERIENCE those lower-level zones.
    2) Allow someone to play a character when their friends aren't around, and still have it be the same level as their friends when they team. Yes, some people still actually team with friends.
    How would the OPTION to reduce xp gain harm PvE players?
    1) ... nope, got nothing.
    The only objections to having an OPTION to reduce xp gain for yourself is from the PvP crowd, because someone will do what is already being done. They will twink.

PvP changes not affecting PvE? Wild medicine is one power only. It is the exception, not the rule.
    Ask GWF players about PvP-inspired nerfs. Ask TRs about the big nerf they got early on. It sure wasn't about PvE.
    Sure, every time they change powers, they break something new, and then there's a new flavor of the day for PvP. Currently it's TRs again. At one point it was Halfling GWFs. At other times it's been other things. Those changes were NOT made to enhance PvE. They were made in response to the endless complaints that PvP isn't "balanced".

What is your real objection to separating PvE and PvP? So far you haven't made one, you've just griped how it's just sooo hard being a PvP player. Bah. Come complain to me when they FINALLY add something to Foundry that actually makes people want to play them.
  • rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    quetum wrote: »
    Or how about an option to drop the effective level/gearscore of a character to run lower level content with friends.

This, I've played another rpg that does this really well, and it also drops your stats by a good % to balance you at a similar strength to them (little bit stronger than normally possible, but not overpowered.)

Just make it so this "mentoring function" doesnt extend to PVP. so you cant drop down then go into PVP, as it'd reset you back to your normal max level.
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
    edited February 2015
    rversant wrote: »
    This, I've played another rpg that does this really well, and it also drops your stats by a good % to balance you at a similar strength to them (little bit stronger than normally possible, but not overpowered.)

Just make it so this "mentoring function" doesnt extend to PVP. so you cant drop down then go into PVP, as it'd reset you back to your normal max level.

Yeah I have no problem with "mentoring" even though I wouldn't use it. The only problem is the actual stopping of xp.
  • psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Even better, offer a slide, where you can set your experience game from 10-100%.

Getting nothing is not the answer, but slowing it down, so you can have one character complete all the content without out leveling it would be a great idea.

FY
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah I have no problem with "mentoring" even though I wouldn't use it. The only problem is the actual stopping of xp.

Why should you care, if someone who plays only PvE wants to stop getting experience for a short period, while they finish a area? Sure, I understand the PvPer being worried that people will stop leveling to compete in PvP with Uber Gear against those without. But doesn't that already happen anyways, with those who "Buy" or have their Guild provide them the Uber Gear, competing against those who don't?

I fail to see how this would change things that much, especially since it would reduce their access to the better areas (Gauntlegrim, Sharandar, Dread Ring, etc...), better gear, and more importantly, the Feats that higher levels provide.
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
    edited February 2015
    Why should you care, if someone who plays only PvE wants to stop getting experience for a short period, while they finish a area? Sure, I understand the PvPer being worried that people will stop leveling to compete in PvP with Uber Gear against those without. But doesn't that already happen anyways, with those who "Buy" or have their Guild provide them the Uber Gear, competing against those who don't?

I fail to see how this would change things that much, especially since it would reduce their access to the better areas (Gauntlegrim, Sharandar, Dread Ring, etc...), better gear, and more importantly, the Feats that higher levels provide.

Because those players do level currently so they don't pile up. You get rid of XP gain and you see more of them. New players come in and find it an never get a good match. Low level pvp becomes the same as high level pvp at every bracket. Less players bother leveling to 60, less players pay, etc etc etc.

Look at it this way. Every major game has added xp to pvp to prevent it and or puts those that no longer gain that xp in their own separate pvp bracket because it causes so many problems. The concept sounds nice but it is so problematic, it makes twinking so much worse that it will literally stop many new players from continuing to play. It's a bad idea to do.
    edited February 2015
    rversant wrote: »

They have something like this over at Champions, which is another PWE/Cryptic game, so it shouldn't be too hard to implement. And I agree, make it only function for PVE, and you remove the biggest reasons for wanting an XP slowdown here, as well as the objection to it from the PVP crowd.
    edited February 2015
    Because those players do level currently so they don't pile up. You get rid of XP gain and you see more of them. New players come in and find it an never get a good match. Low level pvp becomes the same as high level pvp at every bracket. Less players bother leveling to 60, less players pay, etc etc etc.

Look at it this way. Every major game has added xp to pvp to prevent it and or puts those that no longer gain that xp in their own separate pvp bracket because it causes so many problems. The concept sounds nice but it is so problematic, it makes twinking so much worse that it will literally stop many new players from continuing to play. It's a bad idea to do.

Make it only work in PvE.
    People who PvP would still level up and out of the brackets at the same pace.
    PvE can choose to level down/turn off xp/mentor/whatever to play earlier content.
    Everyone wins.
    edited February 2015
    Make it only work in PvE.
    People who PvP would still level up and out of the brackets at the same pace.
    PvE can choose to level down to play earlier content.
    Everyone wins.

Well like I said, that sounds like a mentoring system. That I have no issues with. Turning xp off is the only problem that I see, and it's a huge one.
    edited February 2015
    The alternate I've thought out would be to allow to lower a character's effective level to that of our quests and party's quests. Kind of like City of Heroes did with their Flashback system. That way, I could keep adventuring with friends and not be worried about overleveling a zone.

It takes so much effort to not overlevel a zone, seriously. If you stop to PvP or just log in to pray, you're done.
    edited February 2015
    Well like I said, that sounds like a mentoring system. That I have no issues with. Turning xp off is the only problem that I see, and it's a huge one.

Sorry, was late and I misunderstood. Yeah, some variant on the mentoring system (to go DOWN levels, not up) would solve a lot of these issues.
    edited February 2015
    The alternate I've thought out would be to allow to lower a character's effective level to that of our quests and party's quests. Kind of like City of Heroes did with their Flashback system. That way, I could keep adventuring with friends and not be worried about overleveling a zone.

It takes so much effort to not overlevel a zone, seriously. If you stop to PvP or just log in to pray, you're done.

... or are leveling up Leadership, or are playing Foundry quests...

Yeah, I've got a few characters right now that never completed most of the zones because they got outleveled.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Sadly, you're right. It's one of my greatest annoyances in game that I can't do everything while staying within the right level range.
    Lately I've simply given up and decided that except for the Skirmishes I can just do it all at max level.
    Artificer.jpg
    edited February 2015
    azahron wrote: »
    Sadly, you're right. It's one of my greatest annoyances in game that I can't do everything while staying within the right level range.

One of your greatest annoyances in the game is staying within the right level range?

So you've been playing for less than 24 hours then?

I don't know. Seems kinda iffy if the devs would value the opinion of someone who hasn't even played more than 24 hours and change the structure of their game for that.