test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Defender companion for my HR

lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
edited January 2015 in The Wilds
Hey y'all,

I'm looking for a competent companion to accompany me on my journey across Faerun. I used to run with the War Dog for dailies but just decided to use my Ioun Stone more recently. Active bonus isn't important but I'm looking for a companion with similar abilities as the War Dog. I run with Aspect of the Pack so the prone is handy when companion has CA. The War Dog's attacks also generate threat which is nice. But what I want to know if there is a companion that will do better than the War Dog.
Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Post edited by lirithiel on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Which aspect of the War Dog?

Galeb Duhr is the hands-down best Tank companion and will hard-taunt the strongest of any mob, including bosses. Stunningly helpful for squishy classes in leveling/solo play. The Owl is great for minimizing threat (active bonus) and is a pretty resilient striker. This is my favorite summoned companion for both my HRs.

Other than that the next best summoned companions that I have personal experience with all come in add-on packs: The Dire Wolf (Guardian pack) - AB is "Chance to Interrupt" and can prone targets - probably the closest thing to what War Dog does and is. Panther (Hero pack) is pretty good and offers bonus damage to prone targets. The Sylph lessens CC time against you.

I'm sure there are others that would be good also and other people may mention them. From my own experience: what you're asking for is the Own and/or the Galeb Duhr. Both are Epic Quality companions (level 30/purple) and in the Zen market - but also currenly in the AH (both of them).
  • Options
    muramirimuramiri Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?827961-Ask-Your-Questions-About-Hunter-Ranger-Class-Here
    ask youre question here. Creating new threads leads to a lot of threads where playes aks and answer questions, then, these threads are forgotten and the good answers are lost. So let keep all questions about HR and all answers too in a single thread.

About companions: a leader is good enought 'cause they die not so many times as a striker, but, if you want smthing like wardog, try Panther, Vicious Dire Wolf, both of them need lvl 30 to be as a wardog (proning the target).
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Which aspect of the War Dog?

The War Dog has the same second ability as the Dog, Skeletal Dog and Blink Dog called Takedown, which knocks the target down if the companion has CA and I run with AotP so it should always have CA. What I like about the War Dog is that its pre-lvl 30 attacks generate extra threat which none of the striker dogs do obviously. If I stack enough Recovery it should be able to prone quite often.
    Galeb Duhr is the hands-down best Tank companion and will hard-taunt the strongest of any mob, including bosses. Stunningly helpful for squishy classes in leveling/solo play. The Owl is great for minimizing threat (active bonus) and is a pretty resilient striker. This is my favorite summoned companion for both my HRs.

Other than that the next best summoned companions that I have personal experience with all come in add-on packs: The Dire Wolf (Guardian pack) - AB is "Chance to Interrupt" and can prone targets - probably the closest thing to what War Dog does and is. Panther (Hero pack) is pretty good and offers bonus damage to prone targets. The Sylph lessens CC time against you.

I'm sure there are others that would be good also and other people may mention them. From my own experience: what you're asking for is the Own and/or the Galeb Duhr. Both are Epic Quality companions (level 30/purple) and in the Zen market - but also currenly in the AH (both of them).

I have the Owl too and it does a decent job of tanking but it's on my Archer. I have heard that the Mimic, even for a green quality companion, is a pretty good tank. Never tested it thou so have no idea. Wild Hunt Rider also has 2 attacks that generate threat but at green quality it was too squishy for me to use in harder content. I would dearly love the Panther but I ain't paying that sort of money for awesome pixels. Dire Wolf is same problem. But thanks for your response :) Guess I will pay the 750k AD to get the War Dog to epic and see what it does.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I picked up a Black Ice Prospector for SCA purposes only but had to level it to 30. At 25-30 it seemed pretty competent at staying alive being naked and with only training runestones in.

It didn't feel like it held aggro very well though, but I didn't give it gear or any + stat stones. It even has +25% threat to the companion only. It is kind of cheap right now for an epic companion because of the winter festival. Can't say it has the best skills in the game but he does have AoE attack.

Otherwise I only play with my augment pet active.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Mimic was actually pretty darn good for me when I started playing. Actually did a delve where we had a lot of range and three Mimics. They tanked and we killed everything. But after a while your best solo companion is going to be the augment.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I am very much aware that augment is the safest bet and for dungeon play it's a no-brainer, but for solo play I want to switch things up and besides, an augment doesn't work with AotP.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I use the mimic for soloing. Its a good tank - generates threat, stays alive long enough and packs a punch.
    But now I'm curious about the dogs prones (have a blue skeleton dog), any reason you want to switch from it?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I was just wanting to know what other options there are. As a defender I think I will stick with the War Dog because of the prone with CA and the threat generated. The other dogs are all strikers which means they are unlikely to pull aggro from me.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    i remember the helmite paladin used to tank quite well, remember running tos and having the party laugh at how he was tanking and killing a blademaster.

I osmetimes have used the intellect devourer it has a sort of stun... but i dont think thats what ur looking for.
  • Options
    vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lirithiel wrote: »
    I was just wanting to know what other options there are. As a defender I think I will stick with the War Dog because of the prone with CA and the threat generated. The other dogs are all strikers which means they are unlikely to pull aggro from me.
    Yep, looks like your best option. The mimic will probably tank better, but you'll need to upgrade it and you'll lose the prone.
    Guess the skeleton dog wont do the job like the war dog does for you. oh well...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If you have the War Dog you should use it. if you don;t have the War Dog (on an alt or something) then I still defer to the gale Duhr: it's hard taunt will take ago off whiter mob has the most HP. It doesn't prime mobs, but it will definitely hold aggro hard - in my experience usually about 50% of the time while fighting bosses, which means I can take combat advantage 50% of the time while fighting bosses.

I have multiples of every class, I've used a GD on my (Original-nerfed) DC, TR, and HR - in every case that dumb rock saved my bacon a couple times. Once in Sanitarium in Helms Hold I focused on all the adds, when I finally turned to Rohini Boss - she died. My freakin' summoned companion whacked her all on his own. LOL Of course system and power-balance changes have happened since then so I don't know if that could still happen. But I was laughing all the way back to Knox after that one.
  • Options
    hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I tend to play with my augment companion most of the time.

However, when I do play with an active companion just for grins:

I've taken the Mimic to level 30, and it does a pretty decent job of holding agro. No prone though.

Also taken the cave bear to 30, and not really impressed. It's slow to get to the mob and doesn't seem to hold agro very well.

Sylph is useless, other than for tickling the enemy.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ximae wrote: »
    i remember the helmite paladin used to tank quite well, remember running tos and having the party laugh at how he was tanking and killing a blademaster.

I osmetimes have used the intellect devourer it has a sort of stun... but i dont think thats what ur looking for.

Didn't they just change the Helmite Paladin to leader in the latest patch? I have no idea what it was initially but maybe a defender?

The one problem I have with the War Dog is that being only at lvl 25 it doesn't have all that much HP (16k or so) which means it dies quickly in AoE and gets one-shotted by golems and the like. Luckily I have Liira's Bell which helps some in that respect. Used it on the dragons in Siege of Neverwinter event and it was pretty much dead every 10 seconds so Ioun Stone for dragons I guess.

Maybe one day when Galeb Duhr is affordable I might get him but for now he remains a distant dream...Rocks and bolders!
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    ximaeximae Member Posts: 534 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    not sure, im talking back around mod 1 or so ... so it could have changed.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Didn't they just change the Helmite Paladin to leader in the latest patch? I have no idea what it was initially but maybe a defender?

The one problem I have with the War Dog is that being only at lvl 25 it doesn't have all that much HP (16k or so) which means it dies quickly in AoE and gets one-shotted by golems and the like. Luckily I have Liira's Bell which helps some in that respect. Used it on the dragons in Siege of Neverwinter event and it was pretty much dead every 10 seconds so Ioun Stone for dragons I guess.

Maybe one day when Galeb Duhr is affordable I might get him but for now he remains a distant dream...Rocks and bolders!

Level 9 or 10 Runes stones will beef-up the War Dog (or any companion) with HP. I have three level 9 Rune Stones and Epic Companion gear in my Fawn: HP 23k - it survives HE Dragon fights even. War dog is a great summoned companion. If you like it that much you should invest in it: Rank it up to Epic and put the best runes and gear into it and it will actually become very useful at end-game solo/zone play (I always recommend augment companions for instanced party-play - just to cut down on lag if nothing else).
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Level 9 or 10 Runes stones will beef-up the War Dog (or any companion) with HP. I have three level 9 Rune Stones and Epic Companion gear in my Fawn: HP 23k - it survives HE Dragon fights even. War dog is a great summoned companion. If you like it that much you should invest in it: Rank it up to Epic and put the best runes and gear into it and it will actually become very useful at end-game solo/zone play (I always recommend augment companions for instanced party-play - just to cut down on lag if nothing else).

So I took the hit and upgraded my War Dog, Axle, to lvl 30. He currently has just over 19k HP with only 1 defensive slot for more HP. I use 2 Lesser Bonding runestones and an R8 Arcane runestone atm because I am stacking Recovery for the prone. I will likely get 2 Personalized Hero's Necklaces and the Personalized Hero's Ring for him which will give me a healthy HP pool once I get JC to lvl 20.

Oh I loved your foundry "Blacklake Luskan" btw. Still need to do parts 2 and 3 - looking forward to them :)
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    So I took the hit and upgraded my War Dog, Axle, to lvl 30. He currently has just over 19k HP with only 1 defensive slot for more HP. I use 2 Lesser Bonding runestones and an R8 Arcane runestone atm because I am stacking Recovery for the prone. I will likely get 2 Personalized Hero's Necklaces and the Personalized Hero's Ring for him which will give me a healthy HP pool once I get JC to lvl 20.

Oh I loved your foundry "Blacklake Luskan" btw. Still need to do parts 2 and 3 - looking forward to them :)

Yeah, no matter what others say: sometimes it really is worth it (for the fun if nothing else) to upgrade and 'pimp' your Companion! LOL

OT: Thanks for the kind words on my quest. The other quests are completed - when a quest is featured it's a copy - and separated from the rest of the campaign. Search for Blacklake Luskan again and when you see it, click the button for "Other quests by this author" and the rest should appear.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    While the mimic is a solid tank and I used one for quite a while back when I was levelling my HR, there's a strong argument for sticking with a dog buddy on the HR and that's Aspect of the Pack. Your dog prones enemies when it has combat advantage... well, running AotP, your dog has CA all the time.

My HR uses a dire wolf pretty much all the time for solo questing. Flash is there for support DPS and knocking stuff down, not to tank. But the principle would be the same with a war dog.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah which is why I decided on the War Dog. I love the prone ability. Just a pity the lvl 30 ability is rubbish - I only took it to lvl 30 for the extra HP and the skin...the latter which isn't all that great I might add.

IIRC the prone on the Vicious Dire Wolf is the best of them all. Stacking enough Recovery allows the wolf to prone almost constantly.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yes, my wolf is equipped with lots of recovery and prones the hell out of everything.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia